• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Does anyone believe that they cannot safely go vote in person?

I was thinking of all those claims about people who want to vote by mail for safety.
Almost all of us, put on out protective gear, and go shopping, to doctors visits, ect.
Why can we not go vote?
Double masks, gloves and a face shield, and change your clothes when you get home.
I am 60+ and fully intend to go vote in early voting, social distance, and generally be careful.
My risks for doing so will be minimal, and likely about equal to going to the grocery store.

It depends on how long the wait will be. Are you prepared to stand in line for 8 hours to vote? In some States there will only be 1/4 the number of polling places that can open because of personnel shortages. Will you volunteer to work in one all day?

Coronavirus creates election worker shortage ahead of November - POLITICO

America should be Great Again but not that Great that we can figure out modern solutions to voting during a pandemic.

I was thinking of all those claims about people who want to vote by mail for safety.
Almost all of us, put on out protective gear, and go shopping, to doctors visits, ect.
Why can we not go vote?
Double masks, gloves and a face shield, and change your clothes when you get home.
I am 60+ and fully intend to go vote in early voting, social distance, and generally be careful.
My risks for doing so will be minimal, and likely about equal to going to the grocery store.

The left make no sense. You can go to the grocery but you can't vote. Masks work but we can't have schools, even though masks work. You can have 20,000 people protesting together like sardine cans but's that's ok because they are wearing masks but 2,000 kids can't go to school, even if wearing masks. It gets dizzying after a while.

It depends on how long the wait will be. Are you prepared to stand in line for 8 hours to vote? In some States there will only be 1/4 the number of polling places that can open because of personnel shortages. Will you volunteer to work in one all day?
I have worked an election before, and would do so again if I am needed.
The last few times I voted, including 2016, the wait was less than 1 hour.
I almost always vote early, so can pick a good time to go.

Because that's how they're counted.
Well that is what you believe! I am not sure any of us have a way to know our actual vote is counted.

Well that is what you believe! I am not sure any of us have a way to know our actual vote is counted.

I get a text message when my vote has been counted.

Good! Ate breakfast not too long ago (eggs and bacon). I've been dealing with organizing my room in my new apartment, so I've been busy. I've got most of it situated now, and I'm finally done with sorting through all of my boxes. I just need to buy more things, and I'll be good.

Unfortunately, I have to get my laptop and my tablet fixed because I dropped my backpack, and I had a glass coke bottle in it, and it burst. Not my finest moment, so I'm gonna get that dealt with today.

Love you lots! In a gay way or not.

I get a text message when my vote has been counted.
Yes, and when I hit the cast ballot button, I assume the same thing, but do we really know?

Yes. Do not gather in crowds during a pandemic. Vote by mail.

I have worked an election before, and would do so again if I am needed.
The last few times I voted, including 2016, the wait was less than 1 hour.
I almost always vote early, so can pick a good time to go.

Some States do not have early voting and there will be fewer polling places open in all States. If you are willing I suggest you volunteer this year. I am glad to vote by mail and have been doing it for years.

Yes, and when I hit the cast ballot button, I assume the same thing, but do we really know?

Not really, so I suppose the end result is the same whether you vote in person or mail-in vote. But I can track my ballot, I'm notified when they receive it, I'm notified when its counted or if there's a problem with it.

Not really, so I suppose the end result is the same whether you vote in person or mail-in vote. But I can track my ballot, I'm notified when they receive it, I'm notified when its counted or if there's a problem with it.
I guess that is the best we can hope for.

The left make no sense. You can go to the grocery but you can't vote. Masks work but we can't have schools, even though masks work. You can have 20,000 people protesting together like sardine cans but's that's ok because they are wearing masks but 2,000 kids can't go to school, even if wearing masks. It gets dizzying after a while.
When grocery stores have 8-hour lines wrapping around the block you might have a point. When the same immuno-compromised individuals who want to vote by mail are then spotted at 20k+ strong protests, you might have a point. But until then, the dizziness and confusion are your own creations.

I am sure there are some people who would see voting in person as a risk, but for most of us, who do go and shop and visit the doctors office,
we know how to mitigate those risks to near zero.
In many areas early voting is not geographically specific, so you can choose where to early vote (At least in Texas).

If you don't vote in your precinct, how do you get the ballot for the other candidates and measures on your ballot?

If you don't vote in your precinct, how do you get the ballot for the other candidates and measures on your ballot?
The early voting location, assigns you the correct ballot, I think it is on the voter registration card,
but quite a few precincts are represented at that location.

People go to the grocery store because there is not an alternative. We have an easy alternative to voting in person.

The early voting location, assigns you the correct ballot, I think it is on the voter registration card,
but quite a few precincts are represented at that location.

In Texas, you can only vote in the county in which you are registered during early voting. No other county...

In Texas, you can only vote in the county in which you are registered during early voting. No other county...

Man, I don't understand why voting has to be so tedious. Here, we get our ballots early in the mail. We can mail them back, or drop them off at a secure lock box of which there are many. It's no muss, no fuss voting.

Man, I don't understand why voting has to be so tedious. Here, we get our ballots early in the mail. We can mail them back, or drop them off at a secure lock box of which there are many. It's no muss, no fuss voting.

The Texas GOP is terrified of what would happen if every eligible voter voted in Texas...

Yea, the more I think about it, the early voting location, just represents about 10 precincts around it,
even still, the mornings of the weekdays are not that crowded. (and there is a covered shaded area to wait in.)
I remember the 1984 election, the line was on the shoulder of farm to market road and it was raining, and muddy.
The Wife and I have been voting early ever since.

People go to the grocery store because there is not an alternative. We have an easy alternative to voting in person.

Wait a gosh darn minute here - are you claiming a global superpower such as the United States of America, who is a leader of industry and military power, can easily figure out such a complicated thing such as voting?

/s

Yea, the more I think about it, the early voting location, just represents about 10 precincts around it,
even still, the mornings of the weekdays are not that crowded. (and there is a covered shaded area to wait in.)
I remember the 1984 election, the line was on the shoulder of farm to market road and it was raining, and muddy.
The Wife and I have been voting early ever since.

Not everyone in Texas lives in a rural area, in fact, the majority of the population (85%) lives in urban areas.

I'll probably get an absentee ballot and then drop it off at my local Absentee Election Manager's office. AKA absentee in person voting.

I'm not super old but I have asthma. You never really know how crowded your polling place will be on election day at any given time. Add to that the fact that most poll workers have been older volunteers in the past (who know they are at increased risk for COVID death/hospitalization and aren't volunteering as much as past elections as a result) and there's definitely the potential to stand in line with a bunch of strangers in a confined space for a long time, which is exactly the optimal conditions for exposure.

Back
Top Bottom