• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Does anyone believe that they cannot safely go vote in person?

I was thinking of all those claims about people who want to vote by mail for safety.
Almost all of us, put on out protective gear, and go shopping, to doctors visits, ect.
Why can we not go vote?
Double masks, gloves and a face shield, and change your clothes when you get home.
I am 60+ and fully intend to go vote in early voting, social distance, and generally be careful.
My risks for doing so will be minimal, and likely about equal to going to the grocery store.

Here's an idea:

Why not just let people vote by mail if they want to?

And for you a good choice would be to vote by mail, but for many of us, I for one do not see it increasing my risk,
assuming I take the same precautions I take whenever I go out.
But what about those volunteers who are over 60? What about their safety? What measures are being taken to protect them?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I was thinking of all those claims about people who want to vote by mail for safety.
Almost all of us, put on out protective gear, and go shopping, to doctors visits, ect.
Why can we not go vote?
Double masks, gloves and a face shield, and change your clothes when you get home.
I am 60+ and fully intend to go vote in early voting, social distance, and generally be careful.
My risks for doing so will be minimal, and likely about equal to going to the grocery store.
Same here, but it really isn't a choice since my state does not allow people to vote by mail in ballots due to the Pandemic, they fought the effort to include it through the courts. Yes, early voting is the ticket.

The question is about if people feel safe voting in person?
I think I can do so, and normally vote in person.

And for you a good choice would be to vote by mail, but for many of us, I for one do not see it increasing my risk,
assuming I take the same precautions I take whenever I go out.

It's your right to vote in person if you want. It's not your right to make it harder for people who choose to to vote by mail. :)

Here's an idea:

It would result in more People voting and trump believes he is toast if that happens, hence the nonsensical attacks on it.

I could go vote in person and be reasonably safe. I just find voting by mail to be more convenient.

Even before CV19 I avoid crowds. Just don't like them.

Here's an idea:

If that is the law already on the books, that is fine, if absentee voting is only allowed, if you are actually absentee,
then we should not alter the rules.

But what about those volunteers who are over 60? What about their safety? What measures are being taken to protect them?

Were I volunteering, I would go with mask, gloves and face shield.
For the actual voter, the risks should not be much greater than the grocery store.

1. I agree with people of all political views who say that (a) voting by mail is safer at this time and (b) because there was no planning for such a massive effort, there will be much confusion on November 3, and (c) it's so much more pleasant to take one's own time at home filling out an absentee ballot (which I have been doing for years).

2. I am really worried that both Democrats and Republicans may have legitimate complaints on November 3.

3. I can only hope that adults in the Democratic and Republican parties will speak out and urge everyone to cool it until the Supreme Court makes the final decision. For example, it would be nice if Presidents Bush, Carter, Clinton, and Obama speak to the nation about the matter. And if President Trump and former Vice President Biden appear together and promise that each one will graciously accept the Supreme Court's decision.

P.S. I remember watching Vice President Al Gore acting as the President of the Senate when he announced the election of George W. Bush (his opponent) as the winner of the election, as decided by the Supreme Court. That was a nice moment for civility in our country.

Last edited:
Were I volunteering, I would go with mask, gloves and face shield.
For the actual voter, the risks should not be much greater than the grocery store.
The fewer people who vote in person, the lower the risk to volunteers.

It's your right to vote in person if you want. It's not your right to make it harder for people who choose to to vote by mail. :)
It depends on what the rules already are. if the rules allow you to choose to vote by mail for whatever reason, go for it.
if the rules say, you must have a reason on a predefined list, to mail in your ballot, you may have to show up to cast your ballot.

The fewer people who vote in person, the lower the risk to volunteers.

tell it to the grocery store checker, I am not saying there is not some risk,
but people are working with the general public every day, and not catching Covid-19 because they are
following good safety practices.

Why can we not go vote?

FYI, your post expresses the problem exactly.

The risk to you is minimal. You can safely vote. If the only thing we cared about were your health, or mine, then there's zero issue.

But... It's not just about us. People work the polls. They work all day interacting with hundreds or thousands of people in a cramped room. They're generally older and likely to have some substantial risk factors. Also getting proper PPE and making it easily to the polls isn't easy for everyone. Some people are used to getting a ride to the polls. Some people need help. And we're likely to have fewer polling places manned by fewer people. The more people who vote at the polls the greater the lines, the harder it makes it for some, and the more dangerous it is for everyone. Everyone has the right to vote, not just you or I.

So when you're thinking about this, don't just think about how this affects you. Think about how it affects everyone else in your community.

Voting by mail is easy. As long as you do it early it's very efficient. And it allows you to make much more informed decisions on issues because you can look up all of the down ballot initiatives and make informed decisions. Though... that does explain why politicians might be against it.

Standing in line for hours with a.bunch of strangers to vote is an unnecessary risk in our present environment

Trumpers can't understand it. They believe coronovirus is all a democratic plot to cost trump the election. They won't even wear mask. That makes it even more dangerous.

Vote by mail has been around for.decades. it is safe and.fraud free. Trump just doesn't want to make it.easy to vote. He knows his base will crawl across broken glass to vote for him. After they vote who cares if they get the coronovirus

Why can we not go vote?

Sitting in huddled masses for hours and hours to cast a vote no matter how careful is risky for a lot of people. The spread of this virus is keeping our economy from roaring back. There is no need to take added risks just cause. Mail in ballots are perfectly safe and there is no decent information proving it is detrimental to our process.

Why can we not go vote?

You're asking the wrong questions.

Why do you care how other Americans choose to vote?

Why do you insist on voting in person during a pandemic?

Standing in line for hours with a.bunch of strangers to vote is an unnecessary risk in our present environment

Trumpers can't understand it. They believe coronovirus is all a democratic plot to cost trump the election. They won't even wear mask. That makes it even more dangerous.

Vote by mail has been around for.decades. it is safe and.fraud free. Trump just doesn't want to make it.easy to vote. He knows his base will crawl across broken glass to vote for him. After they vote who cares if they get the coronovirus

It's not fraud free.. but it allows you to detect fraud pretty easily.

Also for those of us who live in states with electric only ballots... 100% verifiable paper trail. You can't hack mail in ballots over the internet.

Why can we not go vote?

If I don't vote by mail, I'm going to vote in person. Noting is going to stop me. The is election is too important. I'm focused on turning orange BLUE!

Sitting in huddled masses for hours and hours to cast a vote no matter how careful is risky for a lot of people. The spread of this virus is keeping our economy from roaring back. There is no need to take added risks just cause. Mail in ballots are perfectly safe and there is no decent information proving it is detrimental to our process.
Assuming that is a legal option, some places do not allow absentee ballots, except for a narrow list of reasons.
I am not sure how many states do that, but some do. I will vote in person, and fill I can take adequate precautions to do so.

Assuming that is a legal option, some places do not allow absentee ballots, except for a narrow list of reasons.
I am not sure how many states do that, but some do. I will vote in person, and fill I can take adequate precautions to do so.

No one, that I am aware of, is saying you have no choice but to vote by mail. You have that choice. You make yours. However, not everyone wants to make the same choice as you. People should have the freedom to make that choice especially when that choice is safe.

I could go vote in person and be reasonably safe. I just find voting by mail to be more convenient.

Even before CV19 I avoid crowds. Just don't like them.

It's the bee's knee. Which is an odd phrase. But I love mail-in voting. I don't have to worry about taking off of work or how long lines will be. I get my ballot in the mail. I fill it out, I sign it, I drop it off at a secure drop box. My ballot is tracked, I know when it's been counted. Easy peasy. It's amazing that some people want to make voting as tedious as possible.

tell it to the grocery store checker, I am not saying there is not some risk,
but people are working with the general public every day, and not catching Covid-19 because they are
following good safety practices.
The same thing is actually true. However grocery stores cannot legitimately shop and deliver or even hold for pickup hundreds of shoppers groceries every day. Voting is a one time thing, takes 10 minutes tops to actually do the activity. Depending on items ordered, it can take an hour or more even for someone else to shop for you.

The same thing is actually true. However grocery stores cannot legitimately shop and deliver or even hold for pickup hundreds of shoppers groceries every day. Voting is a one time thing, takes 10 minutes tops to actually do the activity. Depending on items ordered, it can take an hour or more even for someone else to shop for you.

In Texas, early voting is spread out over two weeks, so there is plenty of time to find a window that is not too crowded.

Why can we not go vote?

Except that you need food to eat, thus you will take your ass to the grocery store. However, stores have made it easier haven't they? Stores allow you to call in a list so that you can pick your items up in the parking lot. Some will even deliver to your home now. With stores making it easier for you during this pandemic, why in hell would we whine and whine about mail-in-ballots, which are meant to make it easier for our fellow American to practice his ****ing Right? Don't worry, I'll tell you:

I used absentee ballots for years. Trump just declared that people in Florida should be able to vote by mail. My father, who used to live in North Carolina, just received a mail-in-voting request form with Trump's fat-ass face plastered all over it. Yet, Trump, is also on record for habitually whining about mail-in-voting. So what gives?

The real issue is that Trump and his puppet GOP are fine with mail-in-votes so long as those who use it vote for them. Old people in Florida? Documented North Carolina bias and cheats? People are fed up with how the GOP closes select polls, causing massive lines, and making the entire Right to vote more of a pain in the ass than it has to be. Why stand in line for six hours when you can just stay home? Democrats are tired of GOP tactics and the GOP knows it needs to practice these tactics to win anymore. I mean the only real documented cases of mass voter fraud over the last few decades have been GOP-inspired. It''s the GOP that has had the Supreme Court rule against them when it comes to racial gerrymandering. And it is state courts that have denied GOP-led state senates their unconstitutional laws against elected Democrat governors. Texas just unashamedly closed polls across the state, most of which were minority targeted. So what we have here is the same old conservative game to preach about democracy while shoving opposition out of the game. From the Democratic Party of old to the Republican Party of new, conservatives still seek to ensure that democracy only matters if they win.

The GOP knows that voter fraud is not the issue. The GOP knows that there is no evidence that suggests that fraud is a significant enough problem in this country. The GOP also knows that mail-in-voting goes back to the Civil War. But the GOP also knows that mass mail-in-voting nullifies their under-handed tactics to assault democracy and skew results to their favor. And the GOP knows that if Americans vote by mail, they will actually have to start representing Americans again. In the meantime, they have a President who has ensured that the faithful all look upon democracy with skepticism. From whining about Obama's birth certificate for eight years, to trying to disqualify Rubio in 2016, to lying about millions of illegal voters for Hillary in 2016, to now planting the seeds for the "deep state" to have robbed his re-election, the GOP has little respect for actual democracy anymore. It is a radical right-wing party, not a conservative party.

So, pandemic or not, mail-in-ballots have become essential for the average American to help ensure that the GOP cannot simply **** on their right to vote. And make no mistake, with or without a pandemic, and with or without mail-in-votes, Trump & Co. will pull out all stops to paint a narrative that he was "robbed" via this or that mindless conspiracy theory.

It's truly sad when grocery stores care more about your need to purchase a jar of peanut butter than the government cares about your damn Rights. Why make it easier for voters? Because they are supposed to.

Back
Top Bottom