• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you think Americans are too arrogant?

Do you think Americans are too arrogant?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 22 68.8%
  • No way!

    Votes: 10 31.3%

  • Total voters
    32

Caine

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
23,344
Reaction score
7,210
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm just curious as to what other people's opinion are on this.

I look around here and I see alot of people that justify thier opinions with,
"Because we're America"
 

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by Caine:
I'm just curious as to what other people's opinion are on this.

I look around here and I see alot of people that justify thier opinions with,
"Because we're America"
I hate to say it, but Americans are arrogant, narcissistic assholes that don't give a damn about anyone that is outside their own personal comfort zone.
 

The Truth-Bringer

Active member
Joined
Jul 16, 2005
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
It is foolish to overgenerallize. Some Americans are good people, while other americans are Arrogant. I dont have qualification, and neither do any of you, to say wether a majority is. Most of the people I have met or heard of are, but That doesnt mean a majority is.

But Americans being arrogant isnt their fault. Its like Soviets Being Proud of their soviet land and being arrogant. Its not their fault. State Propoganda is very effective, for its done by many of the best psychologists in that nation, so thus the masses who 1.) Dont care about the world
are influenced by that propoganda, and even though they dont care, when provoked to talk of it, they stick firmly to that position, because they feel smart knowing it, and thus feel pride, and when a enemy is seeked for their views, they stick even more firmly to their views.
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think Americans are generally a good people. Very giving and helpful. Sometimes, I think Americans are too good for their own good. Honestly speaking. I have travelled the world and dealt with many different cultures. Most people I have dealt with around the globe are generally good people. But, I don't think Americans, as a people, are as arrogant as they are made out to be. I do think, Americans, as a people, are too nice sometimes.
 

Plain old me

Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
228
Reaction score
1
Location
United Kingdom
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think a lot of people have a tendency to take a pride in their nation that borders on arrogance, but I can't see as to how american people, the little contact I;ve had with examples of them over this forum, are neccerssarily any more so. I have to say I havn't seen a huge deal of 'because we're american' ified.
 

DeeJayH

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,728
Reaction score
1,688
Location
Scooping Zeus' Poop
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
arrogant YES
too arrogant, NO

we are amongst the Youngest of nations, yet we have achieved so much that others could not.

WE ARE THE GREATEST COUNTRY, FILLED WITH SOME OF THE GREATEST PEOPLE, TO EVER WALK THE FACE OF THIS EARTH.

most who think we are too angry are the Euros who pissed away all there power and prestige years ago, from the 'glory of conquering' so much of the world
mean while we have achieved so much without ever taking over another country.

are we perfect? NO, far from it.
but i do beleive we have it the best. Anyone can achieve just about anything they want if they really try
and i would say the same even if Clinton was in the White House
 

DeeJayH

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,728
Reaction score
1,688
Location
Scooping Zeus' Poop
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Billo_Really said:
I hate to say it, but Americans are arrogant, narcissistic assholes that don't give a damn about anyone that is outside their own personal comfort zone.
and just where are you from? dont see it in your profile

overwhelming majority of americans i know, my family included are just simple decent hard working folk, who wish to make a decent living so they can raise a decent family
i am among a few in my family driven to succeed, to achieve wealth and power.

and a speech that the VP of a Brokerage firm i worked at, summed it up best
"I envy the average joe. I wish i could be happy, working for the railroad, punching tickets. they make a decent living, and are content with it. they dont have the stress and pressure that comes with striving for success. The desire to be rich and successful is a blessing and a curse."
 

The Truth-Bringer

Active member
Joined
Jul 16, 2005
Messages
260
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
DeeJayH said:
arrogant YES
too arrogant, NO

we are amongst the Youngest of nations, yet we have achieved so much that others could not.

WE ARE THE GREATEST COUNTRY, FILLED WITH SOME OF THE GREATEST PEOPLE, TO EVER WALK THE FACE OF THIS EARTH.

most who think we are too angry are the Euros who pissed away all there power and prestige years ago, from the 'glory of conquering' so much of the world
mean while we have achieved so much without ever taking over another country.

are we perfect? NO, far from it.
but i do beleive we have it the best. Anyone can achieve just about anything they want if they really try
and i would say the same even if Clinton was in the White House
Yea those Europeans are Sometimes really big hypocrits. Even though im critical of any flaw, the European Powers certainly caused more death and destruction than the United States Goverment Ever Did, This is mainly because Europe is composed of many small countries and kingdoms, and as one philosopher said "It is better for one tyrant King to murder his people than a thousand Nobles Each Slaughtering Men". I think the man who said that was hobbs

Yet we have taken over a few countries, it is undeniable , but they have mostly been leftovers from wars others started or such, such as Cuba and Hawai, Philliphines and such, guatamala, but they are just small countries/provinces.
 

Caine

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
23,344
Reaction score
7,210
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
DeeJayH said:
arrogant YES
too arrogant, NO

we are amongst the Youngest of nations, yet we have achieved so much that others could not.

WE ARE THE GREATEST COUNTRY, FILLED WITH SOME OF THE GREATEST PEOPLE, TO EVER WALK THE FACE OF THIS EARTH.

most who think we are too angry are the Euros who pissed away all there power and prestige years ago, from the 'glory of conquering' so much of the world
mean while we have achieved so much without ever taking over another country.

are we perfect? NO, far from it.
but i do beleive we have it the best. Anyone can achieve just about anything they want if they really try
and i would say the same even if Clinton was in the White House
And this is not arrogant?
 

SouthernDemocrat

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
23,358
Reaction score
14,422
Location
KC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
We are without a doubt the greatest nation in the history of civilization. So I guess in that regard, we are arrogant. However, I think it is well founded arrogance.

That said, our problem is not arrogance, its a lack of empathy for people in other nations and other cultures. Many, but not all, Americans don't seem to have the ability to view the world how people of other nations and cultures view it. It's like we cant seem to put ourselves in anyone elses shoes.
 

nkgupta80

DP Veteran
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
1,720
Reaction score
59
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
SouthernDemocrat said:
We are without a doubt the greatest nation in the history of civilization. So I guess in that regard, we are arrogant. However, I think it is well founded arrogance.

That said, our problem is not arrogance, its a lack of empathy for people in other nations and other cultures. Many, but not all, Americans don't seem to have the ability to view the world how people of other nations and cultures view it. It's like we cant seem to put ourselves in anyone elses shoes.

i dunno about greatest civilization. one could say the same about Chinese, Indian, Classical muslim, Greek, Roman, and Renaissance Europe.

Otherwise, you're right on the spot. We lack the ability to empathize, put ourselves in the shoes of other peoples from other nations.
 

DeeJayH

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,728
Reaction score
1,688
Location
Scooping Zeus' Poop
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
SouthernDemocrat said:
That said, our problem is not arrogance, its a lack of empathy for people in other nations and other cultures. Many, but not all, Americans don't seem to have the ability to view the world how people of other nations and cultures view it. It's like we cant seem to put ourselves in anyone elses shoes.
this is what i can not stand, but maybe i misunderstand
We have to consider how others view things
is that what the 'rest of the world that hates us does?'

as far as empathy for people in other nations and other cultures
Check your facts
USofA is the Single largest donor of Humanitarian Foriegn Aid in the history of the world

Is it arrogance if it is true?

but, dont worry i know the response will be we give foriegn aid only in exchange for Oil :roll: (was that dripping with enough sarcasm)
 

iamjack

Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
I think the "arrogent American" is indeed a generallization, but as far as generallizations go I'm kind of glad thats the one we bear. If you ask me arrogent beats hell out of timid, (France) humorless, (also France) or despotic (damn near every nation outside of N. America and Europe).
 

kal-el

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 22, 2005
Messages
3,412
Reaction score
8
Location
United States
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
For being the richest nation in the world, we are the most generous too. Our humanitarian package is second to none.

Since we are already despised, I say that we send all of the illegals back to their respective countries' with a box of craftsman tools; hence they can build they're own nation from the ground up.
 

Surenderer

Active member
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
469
Reaction score
0
kal-el said:
For being the richest nation in the world, we are the most generous too. Our humanitarian package is second to none.

Since we are already despised, I say that we send all of the illegals back to their respective countries' with a box of craftsman tools; hence they can build they're own nation from the ground up.




Unfortunatly per capa thats not true.......kinda like a millionare sitting in church next to a little elderly lady on Social Security.......if they both give 10$ in the collection plate who is gonna recieve better blessings (or Karma)? USA’s aid, in terms of percentage of their GNP has almost always been lower than any other industrialized nation in the world, though paradoxically in the last four years, their dollar amount has been the highest. (Only in 2004 did they move up from last place by one.)....



Since we are already despised, I say that we send all of the illegals back to their respective countries' with a box of craftsman tools; hence they can build they're own nation from the ground up.
[/QUOTE]



Would you let them take the African-Americans who did the real "buliding from the ground up" with them.? Or you gonna take credit for that too?




peace
 

kal-el

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 22, 2005
Messages
3,412
Reaction score
8
Location
United States
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Surenderer said:
Would you let them take the African-Americans who did the real "buliding from the ground up" with them.? Or you gonna take credit for that too?
Building from the ground up? Maybe,but who was the brains behind the braun? They might have picked some cotton out of some aspirin bottles, and made the clothes I'm wearing, but that's where it stops.
 

Caine

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
23,344
Reaction score
7,210
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
kal-el said:
Building from the ground up? Maybe,but who was the brains behind the braun? They might have picked some cotton out of some aspirin bottles, and made the clothes I'm wearing, but that's where it stops.
That was kinda rude kal.

By the way, congratulations on being born, how is your father Nicolas Cage doing?
 

kal-el

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 22, 2005
Messages
3,412
Reaction score
8
Location
United States
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Caine said:
That was kinda rude kal.
I know, I probably shouldn't have said that, I just got caught up in the moment.

By the way, congratulations on being born, how is your father Nicolas Cage doing?
Yea, Gunny informed me that he named his son Kal-el Copolla Cage, or something. HaHa:lol:
 

Surenderer

Active member
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
469
Reaction score
0
kal-el said:
Building from the ground up? Maybe,but who was the brains behind the braun? They might have picked some cotton out of some aspirin bottles, and made the clothes I'm wearing, but that's where it stops.



Fredrick Douglass Harriet Tubman etc.......



peace
 

kal-el

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 22, 2005
Messages
3,412
Reaction score
8
Location
United States
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Surenderer said:
Fredrick Douglass Harriet Tubman etc.......
Alright, I get it, a small minority of Afro-Americans are pertinent to society.
 

DeeJayH

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,728
Reaction score
1,688
Location
Scooping Zeus' Poop
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Surenderer said:
Unfortunatly per capa thats not true.......kinda like a millionare sitting in church next to a little elderly lady on Social Security.......if they both give 10$ in the collection plate who is gonna recieve better blessings (or Karma)? USA’s aid, in terms of percentage of their GNP has almost always been lower than any other industrialized nation in the world, though paradoxically in the last four years, their dollar amount has been the highest. (Only in 2004 did they move up from last place by one.)....
Dollar wise, we give much more, far and away than anybody else

little education here please
is your 'stats' based solelly on governent aid only
because the bulk of foriegn aid, as i understand it, is given by the governemts of other countries, because the common man is taxed so high they dont have spare funds to donate
whereas the American public donates tremendous amounts of money
Our government is not the worlds slush fund
it is the american people who dig deep to aid others every single day
the government only steps up in natural disasters.
which is, if its accurate, how it should be


i also beleive this proves beyond a doubt, the american way, capitalism is what really makes a difference in ones life.
it is why we are the richest country
it is why we are sole Superpower left
and it is why we are the most generous
Many others call us work-a-holics, but as soon as disaster occurs, who do they call? the work-a-holics, because they do not have enough money to deal with it themselves
 

SouthernDemocrat

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
23,358
Reaction score
14,422
Location
KC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
DeeJayH said:
this is what i can not stand, but maybe i misunderstand
We have to consider how others view things
is that what the 'rest of the world that hates us does?'

as far as empathy for people in other nations and other cultures
Check your facts
USofA is the Single largest donor of Humanitarian Foriegn Aid in the history of the world

Is it arrogance if it is true?

but, dont worry i know the response will be we give foriegn aid only in exchange for Oil :roll:(was that dripping with enough sarcasm)
You are confusing empathy with sympathy. An example of what I mean by empathy is that a lot of Americans hold the view that our form of government and our way of life is what every other people on the face of the earth want. That of course is not the case. For example, in terms of the situation in Iraq. Many Americans don’t seem to realize that Iraq is actually 3 separate nations that by the British were joined into one. So a Kurd has no loyalty a unified Iraq, he is only loyal to Kurdistan. The same is true with the Sunnis and the Shiites. That is why we have all these militias in Iraq and much more loyalty to them than the Iraqi military. It is the lack of understanding of the world view of others that is probably the biggest problem for many Americans.
 

DeeJayH

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,728
Reaction score
1,688
Location
Scooping Zeus' Poop
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
SouthernDemocrat said:
You are confusing empathy with sympathy. An example of what I mean by empathy is that a lot of Americans hold the view that our form of government and our way of life is what every other people on the face of the earth want. That of course is not the case. For example, in terms of the situation in Iraq. Many Americans don’t seem to realize that Iraq is actually 3 separate nations that by the British were joined into one. So a Kurd has no loyalty a unified Iraq, he is only loyal to Kurdistan. The same is true with the Sunnis and the Shiites. That is why we have all these militias in Iraq and much more loyalty to them than the Iraqi military. It is the lack of understanding of the world view of others that is probably the biggest problem for many Americans.
empathy and sympathy have nothing to do with understanding others views

and we are not forcing our way of government around the world, we are giving people the choice to rule themselves in the way they want.
I truly doubt any country we liberate will have a similar government to us
other than the people were involved in creating it, and the people vote

and once again, it looks like the New Kids On The Block are left to clean up the messes of other countries, ie. Britains, Frances, etc....
It is their Empires that has the Muslims against us. The fact that America is the leader and the strongest of the Western World, is why we are the target of their rage and hatred
theres my :twocents:
 

Surenderer

Active member
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
469
Reaction score
0
DeeJayH said:
Dollar wise, we give much more, far and away than anybody else

little education here please
is your 'stats' based solelly on governent aid only
because the bulk of foriegn aid, as i understand it, is given by the governemts of other countries, because the common man is taxed so high they dont have spare funds to donate
whereas the American public donates tremendous amounts of money
Our government is not the worlds slush fund
it is the american people who dig deep to aid others every single day
the government only steps up in natural disasters.
which is, if its accurate, how it should be


i also beleive this proves beyond a doubt, the american way, capitalism is what really makes a difference in ones life.
it is why we are the richest country
it is why we are sole Superpower left
and it is why we are the most generous
Many others call us work-a-holics, but as soon as disaster occurs, who do they call? the work-a-holics, because they do not have enough money to deal with it themselves



I said we give the most dollar wise.....and I dont deny that the American Public is generous......but this is despite our Goverment not because of anything it does for us.......big difference if you are refering to the American People as opposed to the American Goverment
 

Surenderer

Active member
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
469
Reaction score
0
kal-el said:
Alright, I get it, a small minority of Afro-Americans are pertinent to society.



Yes they are pertinet to society unlike the white slavemasters you evidently idolize....Sorry Stuperman but the minorites you so easily dismiss are the backbone of America
 
Top Bottom