• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you know a psychopath?

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Decades ago Dr. Robert Hare* looked at commonalities in people diagnosed as psychopaths. He identified a number of elements including glibness, lack of remorse, a conning personality, impulsivity and others that seemed to be common traits. He determined that about 1% of the population are psychopaths, but that people with that disorder tended to gravitate to certain fields including police work (sorry @Luce but it's true), surgeons, and forum administrators (kidding!). He found with further study that the largest group were in senior business positions and wrote a book called Snakes in Suits. He felt that instead of studying prisoners he should have looked harder at CEOs. In those fields 3% to 4% are psychopaths.

If you want to self-test you can do so here where you'll also find the full list.

@j brown's body post here got me thinking that psychopaths are likely also in politics and would find fascism attractive as a political movement.

I worked for a Fortune 500 company for more than 30 years and didn't meet anyone who I would say was a psychopath, but some of them are very charming people who do a good job concealing their pathology, so as to not attract attention from HR.

But this is more about personal experiences. Based on the checklist do you know anyone who would meet the criteria? I know one person, a close family member, who checks all the boxes. If you don't want to talk about personal experiences, or don't know anyone who fits the bill feel free to give amateur opinions on politicians or business leaders.

*I know you're thinking "wtf is going on with Allan that he's so interested in this, how did we not know he's a psychopath, and should I have told him my real name???". I had his old office at UBC Hospital so know his background. He's a legend there.

I remember some business article about “10 traits of a good CEO” and like 7 of them were on the clinical diagnosis list for psychopathy.

5 out of possible 44 on the self test.

Tests like this one can also be very misleading because almost anyone can be in denial of certain traits while answering them.

I often think of myself one way, but my own son good heartedly reminds me quite often that I'm not that way at all. :ROFLMAO: Especially on the golf course.

5 out of possible 44 on the self test.

Tests like this one can also be very misleading because almost anyone can be in denial of certain traits while answering them.

I often think of myself one way, but my own son good heartedly reminds me quite often that I'm not that way at all. :ROFLMAO: Especially on the golf course.
People are three things; who they think they are, who others think they are, and who they really are.

I think this from Confucius but not sure.

I got a zero on the test btw.

@Allan
My sister has a lot of borderline personality disorder symptoms, which I simply call crazy as shit. Not really a psychopath and is capable of being very kind-hearted sometimes.

We've all probably met and even known psychopaths but they are usually socially charming, know not to act strange, and aren't always diabolical or dangerous. Their brains are wired wrong and have no moral compass or compassion.

BPD-
Behavioral
: antisocial behavior, compulsive behavior, hostility, impulsivity, irritability, risk taking behaviors, self-destructive behavior, self-harm, social isolation, or lack of restraint
Mood: anger, anxiety, general discontent, guilt, loneliness, mood swings, or sadness
Psychological: depression, distorted self-image, grandiosity, or narcissism
Also common: thoughts of suicide

Decades ago Dr. Robert Hare* looked at commonalities in people diagnosed as psychopaths. He identified a number of elements including glibness, lack of remorse, a conning personality, impulsivity and others that seemed to be common traits. He determined that about 1% of the population are psychopaths, but that people with that disorder tended to gravitate to certain fields including police work (sorry @Luce but it's true), surgeons, and forum administrators (kidding!). He found with further study that the largest group were in senior business positions and wrote a book called Snakes in Suits. He felt that instead of studying prisoners he should have looked harder at CEOs. In those fields 3% to 4% are psychopaths.

If you want to self-test you can do so here where you'll also find the full list.

@j brown's body post here got me thinking that psychopaths are likely also in politics and would find fascism attractive as a political movement.

I worked for a Fortune 500 company for more than 30 years and didn't meet anyone who I would say was a psychopath, but some of them are very charming people who do a good job concealing their pathology, so as to not attract attention from HR.

But this is more about personal experiences. Based on the checklist do you know anyone who would meet the criteria? I know one person, a close family member, who checks all the boxes. If you don't want to talk about personal experiences, or don't know anyone who fits the bill feel free to give amateur opinions on politicians or business leaders.

*I know you're thinking "wtf is going on with Allan that he's so interested in this, how did we not know he's a psychopath, and should I have told him my real name???". I had his old office at UBC Hospital so know his background. He's a legend there.
I don't know a psychopath......but this is a very interesting interview.

Well, you're Canadian so the chances of you being a psychopath is pretty low. If you were Australian that would be a different matter... ;)

@Allan
My sister has a lot of borderline personality disorder symptoms, which I simply call crazy as shit. Not really a psychopath and is capable of being very kind-hearted sometimes.

We've all probably met and even known psychopaths but they are usually socially charming, know not to act strange, and aren't always diabolical or dangerous. Their brains are wired wrong and have no moral compass or compassion.

BPD-
Behavioral
: antisocial behavior, compulsive behavior, hostility, impulsivity, irritability, risk taking behaviors, self-destructive behavior, self-harm, social isolation, or lack of restraint
Mood: anger, anxiety, general discontent, guilt, loneliness, mood swings, or sadness
Psychological: depression, distorted self-image, grandiosity, or narcissism
Also common: thoughts of suicide
I have a sister-in-law that fits the above to a 't.'

I'm trying to take the test but question 21 doesn't make sense.

"Many types of offense"

What is it asking?

I've crossed paths with a few in my lifetime. Typically in the business world - and they've been in the higher levels of organizations.

Definitely "snakes in suits" types.

I've crossed paths with a few in my lifetime. Typically in the business world - and they've been in the higher levels of organizations.

American Pyscho types, nice.

I'm trying to take the test but question 21 doesn't make sense.

"Many types of offense"

What is it asking?
As in getting in trouble with authorities. Arrests etc.

"Your score was 20 out of a possible 44.

While there is no specific cutoff, higher scores indicate a greater likelihood of psychopathy."

I've crossed paths with them in working environments and the military. It always seems like there was one person where I worked that made it hell for everyone else or just me. LOL. Surprisingly there weren't that many in the military as they don't work well with others and don't like to cede to authority. I had one drill instructor that I'm convinced enjoyed being cruel to recruits. The rest were tough but fair.

Back
Top Bottom