• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you fear death?

Do you fear death?

• Total voters
I suspect most of us don't look forward to death and are apprehensive about moving on to the next step. I am a born again christian and personally believe I will be with Christ in heaven because of his grace despite my many failings. I fear more the loss of my closeness to family and friends than I fear death. BTW, I'm in no hurry.

All this stuff about Christ. What happened to God?

An atheist wouldn't fear death.

When you're an atheist, dying solves all your problems. The problems you have now, and the problems you'll have in the future. For an atheist, death is an all around win.
I'm an atheist & do not fear dying. It is inevitable. No one gets out of here alive. It's just like turning off your computer. You won't have anything to worry about.

I am expecting silence and a complete lack of memories.

Like some of you have said, I don't fear being dead--it's the death process that scares me. I'm a Christian and I pray that God will accept me into heaven, but I still fear the process. I guess that's just a natural thing for all humans.

Like some of you have said, I don't fear being dead--it's the death process that scares me. I'm a Christian and I pray that God will accept me into heaven, but I still fear the process. I guess that's just a natural thing for all humans.
If you have to go, you have to go. I'm having a surgical heart valve procedure tomorrow. It doesn't bother me to be in the hospital for 6 hours but it is a reminder that no one lives forever.

If you have to go, you have to go. I'm having a surgical heart valve procedure tomorrow. It doesn't bother me to be in the hospital for 6 hours but it is a reminder that no one lives forever.

I wish you all the best, Jacksin, and a speedy recovery.

And yet, we are created with that desire to live forever...why?

I wish you all the best, Jacksin, and a speedy recovery.
Thanks, Emily L. If your avatar is your photo, you get high grades from me for cuteness.

Regarding Biblical passages, my favorite is the shortest in the Bible: Jesus wept. ( John, chapter 11, verse 35)

Elvira, this is sad, but there are some elderly people who reach a point where they grow tired of life and actually hope for a soon and easy death. I guess somewhere in my mind I can kind of understand that, but it's still sad.

No, actually we are not. Not all anyway. As I feel the pains of age, I wonder how much longer I will desire one over the other. Some days the pain is the overwhelming truth. The next day, it may not be as bad. But lately, I make a decision on which kind of day it is.
I worked in life care for the elderly for 22 years. We home hospiced my father, mother and sister. You gain a whole new perspective on life when you change your mother's diaper.
I don't take life advice from anyone who has not experienced similar.

Thanks, Emily L. If your avatar is your photo, you get high grades from me for cuteness.

Regarding Biblical passages, my favorite is the shortest in the Bible: Jesus wept. ( John, chapter 11, verse 35)
Interesting that you chose that passage, of all passages in the Bible, Jack...Jesus wept because Lazarus's death brought so much pain to those who loved him, including Jesus...death was not meant to be...

Was it Woody Allen who said "I don't fear death, I just don't want to be there when it happens!"

No, actually we are not. Not all anyway. As I feel the pains of age, I wonder how much longer I will desire one over the other. Some days the pain is the overwhelming truth. The next day, it may not be as bad. But lately, I make a decision on which kind of day it is.
I worked in life care for the elderly for 22 years. We home hospiced my father, mother and sister. You gain a whole new perspective on life when you change your mother's diaper.
I don't take life advice from anyone who has not experienced similar.
Only because life deteriorates in this old world...if you remained young and full of vigor, that would no doubt change...

Elvira, this is sad, but there are some elderly people who reach a point where they grow tired of life and actually hope for a soon and easy death. I guess somewhere in my mind I can kind of understand that, but it's still sad.
Agreed, even Job prayed for death, as a relief to his suffering...

Interesting that you chose that passage, of all passages in the Bible, Jack...Jesus wept because Lazarus's death brought so much pain to those who loved him, including Jesus...death was not meant to be...
Brevity is the soul of wit. Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Only because life deteriorates in this old world...if you remained young and full of vigor, that would no doubt change...

Why is that? What is inherently enjoyable about living for eternity?

I usually find some empathy in your posts. Not this time. That is not how life works. Not in real life. Not for most people anyway.
But that is just it, this is not the real life...the Bible makes that clear...God purposed so much more for us and that purpose will be fulfilled...as God originally intended us to live, when we are living on a paradise earth in complete health, peace, and happiness, we will at last enjoy “the real life”...everlasting life...is that not a wonderful hope?

"safely treasuring up for themselves a fine foundation for the future, so that they may get a firm hold on the real life." 1 Timothy 6:19

But that is just it, this is not the real life...the Bible makes that clear...God purposed so much more for us and that purpose will come true...as God originally intended us to live, when we are living on a paradise earth in complete health, peace, and happiness, we will at last enjoy “the real life”...everlasting life...is that not a wonderful hope?

"safely treasuring up for themselves a fine foundation for the future, so that they may get a firm hold on the real life." 1 Timothy 6:19
I do not necessarily agree. But, my philosophy is that living this life is sort of a mission we have to undertake. I'm just glad I'm not food for a lion like my ancestors likely were.

But that is just it, this is not the real life...the Bible makes that clear...God purposed so much more for us and that purpose will be fulfilled...as God originally intended us to live, when we are living on a paradise earth in complete health, peace, and happiness, we will at last enjoy “the real life”...everlasting life...is that not a wonderful hope?

Look around you. Does everyone deserve that everlasting life? I'm not one to judge, but if we are to be judged, we are sorely lacking as a people. Not just us, in this country, but world wide. We suck. We don't even try hard. Bring on the meteor. Maybe we can do better next time.

Thoughts?
We may not end? There is some support in science that information can not be destroyed. Perhaps the universe has a memory.

Back
Top Bottom