• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you fear death?

Do you fear death?

• Total voters
I've watched all of the released seasons of "The Expanse" great sci-fi series.

It really is.
It's the show I'd use to try and explain why I love Sci-Fi to anyone who's not a fan as it has some amazing characters, story and political intrigue all thrown into one great looking space saga.

My favorite character is Avasarala who's the head of the UN and Earth so not exactly Jim Kirk but an amazingly savvy and important character.

I think everyone who said they're not afraid is lying.

You are projecting. I used to be afraid but the older I get the less I am. Might be a nature's way overall, but clearly it's also very personal and differs a lot for different people.

Riveted into my psyche is my sister Brenda who died at 49 years old. She died of cancer in a hospice after 3 rounds of chemotherapy. It took her nearly 2 years to die ..it was a horrible, painful death. I'd like to think if I was presented with a similar situation I would take myself out.

I've watched all of the released seasons of "The Expanse" great sci-fi series.

It really is.
It's the show I'd use to try and explain why I love Sci-Fi to anyone who's not a fan as it has some amazing characters, story and political intrigue all thrown into one great looking space saga.

My favorite character is Avasarala who's the head of the UN and Earth so not exactly Jim Kirk but an amazingly savvy and important character.
Yup.

You are projecting. I used to be afraid but the older I get the less I am. Might be a nature's way overall, but clearly it's also very personal and differs a lot for different people.
Age does matter IMHO, nature provides older folk a cushion as we age ..death becomes more acceptable and inevitable as the body wears out..

It really is.

The special effects are outstanding as are some of the mind blowing battle scenes. I've watched three seasons and liked them all, the first and third season the most.

Riveted into my psyche is my sister Brenda who died at 49 years old. She died of cancer in a hospice after 3 rounds of chemotherapy. It took her nearly 2 years to die ..it was a horrible, painful death. I'd like to think if I was presented with a similar situation I would take myself out.
I commend your realistic bravery and hope I would also be so rationally brave.

Well said, for me I know when I die everything I was or could have is gone ..no pie in the sky. So, as a result, I love life and appreciate every day I'm alive.
A friend of mine is in his late 80's. He has about every possible disease, last time I saw him he was down to only 2 sorts of cancer and his heart was at about 5%. That was at the pub playing poker.

His motto is just keep going.

I don't think I'll ever be as mentally strong as old Bob.

I am not afraid of my death. I am afraid of the deaths of those I care about. Without them, life becomes less meaningful to me. Everything else I fear comes from being alive.

I am not scared of death because my faith in God gives me strength. It is the process of dying that is slightly unnerving. I've seen too much not to be.

I am not afraid of my death. I am afraid of the deaths of those I care about. Without them, life becomes less meaningful to me. Everything else I fear comes from being alive.

omg... barf!

I am not scared of death because my faith in God gives me strength. It is the process of dying that is slightly unnerving. I've seen too much not to be.

We have chosen to make the process of dying unnerving. Humane euthanasia could help in that regard.

All living creatures avoid death every second of their existence as best they can. No matter what answers you get in your poll, fact is, it's fear that causes this. Humans seldom understand themselves so I would not be surprised to get all kinds of erroneous answers.

You unwittingly proved your own point.

An atheist wouldn't fear death.

When you're an atheist, dying solves all your problems. The problems you have now, and the problems you'll have in the future. For an atheist, death is an all around win.

I fear more what can happen before death...death itself is likened to being asleep in the Bible, awaiting the resurrection...John 11:11-14...
Being a true believer has that effect, its one of the perks.

We have chosen to make the process of dying unnerving. Humane euthanasia could help in that regard.
We are slowly heading that direction, it should have been legal a long time ago.

I suppose everyone fears death in one way or another. You can't escape it.

I used to fear dying. That was when I was worried that I might be drafted into heaven. I'll slip off to Canada when I pass.

I'd rather it not be terribly painful, but death itself? Meh. There won't be a *me* left to worry about there not being a me. 🤷

I'm sure this opinion will change if a plane I'm sitting in goes into a nosedive, but that's only natural.

Back
Top Bottom