• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you fear death?

Do you fear death?

• Total voters

dex4974

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
I'm not concerned with dying at this stage of my life. However I am concerned in the manner of death. Hopefully it will be painless.

Thoughts?

All living creatures avoid death every second of their existence as best they can. No matter what answers you get in your poll, fact is, it's fear that causes this. Humans seldom understand themselves so I would not be surprised to get all kinds of erroneous answers.

I'm not concerned with dying at this stage of my life. However I am concerned in the manner of death. Hopefully it will be painless.
I'm the opposite. Pain is temporary, death is forever.

I don't "fear" death in the sense that I think about it often and it fills me with dread. But do I want to be dead? Of course not, I fervently hope I do not die anytime soon and if it were possible to have anger/regret after death I'm sure I would be livid with both.

A painful one. Like being burned alive.

I suspect most of us don't look forward to death and are apprehensive about moving on to the next step. I am a born again christian and personally believe I will be with Christ in heaven because of his grace despite my many failings. I fear more the loss of my closeness to family and friends than I fear death. BTW, I'm in no hurry.

A buddy of mine, former room mate and high school friend died on Saturday. 55 years old with early onset alzheimers. Bad stuff, I saw him in Feb, and was still able to connect with him, but it wasn't easy. In May, he managed to slip out of a car at a gas station and wander into traffic and got hit by a car, pretty badly. Since then, it was all downhill, glad it is over for him, and his family.

I welcome death, in some sense. I think about a day, when I dont need to kill animals, and put myself first, to survive. I long for a day when all I need to do is be. I have faced some of the worst pain a human can feel, I have endured operation with a low chance of survival. I have a racing motorcycle. I used to cliff dive. I have lived with a SURETY that my disease will kill me.

But fear. Not really.

Thoughts?

Whew... Well, I'll take this on from a theist perspective... Yes, I'm afraid of death. Not because of what's waiting for me, but because of what I leave behind. I have a 7 year old son, and my death would be hugely impactful. I expect this will diminish over time, as he gets older, but for now the thought of death is terrifying. I'm not sure I could watch my family watch me die...if that makes sense.

Death, the eternal sleep. How could you fear that?

I'd much prefer it be a good 20-ish year off. Mainly for my family's sake.
Apparently they still prefer to keep me around for a while longer. 😊

How about i fear death but since I know it is going to happen i best try to make the best of what I have?

Well said, for me I know when I die everything I was or could have is gone ..no pie in the sky. So, as a result, I love life and appreciate every day I'm alive.

I fear more what can happen before death...death itself is likened to being asleep in the Bible, awaiting the resurrection...John 11:11-14...

I'm not afraid of death as it's going to happen whether I want it to or not.
I'd rather not die in the next year though as there's a new series of Star Trek and The Expanse along with a new Bond and Dune film I'm desperate to see.
There's also the PS5 and Series X in the next few months so I'd be really angry if I died before all of that.

I may even resort to haunting my local MP even though I'm an atheist who'd be mightily surprised at being a ghost.

A buddy of mine, former room mate and high school friend died on Saturday. 55 years old with early onset alzheimers. Bad stuff, I saw him in Feb, and was still able to connect with him, but it wasn't easy. In May, he managed to slip out of a car at a gas station and wander into traffic and got hit by a car, pretty badly. Since then, it was all downhill, glad it is over for him, and his family.
I've always said there are things worse than death...so sorry about your friend, he was too young...

True that, My father died at the age of 72. He died of a massive heart attack and was dead before he hit the floor, that's a good death.

I'm not afraid of death as it's going to happen whether I want it to or not.
I'd rather not die in the next year though as there's a new series of Star Trek and The Expanse along with a new Bond and Dune film I'm desperate to see.
There's also the PS5 and Series X in the next few months so I'd be really angry if I died before all of that.

I may even resort to haunting my local MP even though I'm an atheist who'd be mightily surprised at being a ghost.

I've watched all of the released seasons of "The Expanse" great sci-fi series.

I've always said there are things worse than death...so sorry about your friend, he was too young...
Yeah, he had a wife and 4 kids, youngest is 14 I believe. When I saw him in February at a wake, he kinda recognized me, but was good at pretending, which is expected. The next day, at a funeral we talked and I reminded him that we were roomies, and that we both worked for the airline, him on the ramp, me in the cushy office, there were sparks of recognition. But someone had to be at his side at all time or he would just wander off. The accident just catapulted him further. Its a terrible disease, someone else I knew died of something similar, brought on by a traumatic brain injury.

Whew... Well, I'll take this on from a theist perspective... Yes, I'm afraid of death. Not because of what's waiting for me, but because of what I leave behind. I have a 7 year old son, and my death would be hugely impactful. I expect this will diminish over time, as he gets older, but for now the thought of death is terrifying. I'm not sure I could watch my family watch me die...if that makes sense.
It does

Yeah, he had a wife and 4 kids, youngest is 14 I believe. When I saw him in February at a wake, he kinda recognized me, but was good at pretending, which is expected. The next day, at a funeral we talked and I reminded him that we were roomies, and that we both worked for the airline, him on the ramp, me in the cushy office, there were sparks of recognition. But someone had to be at his side at all time or he would just wander off. The accident just catapulted him further. Its a terrible disease, someone else I knew died of something similar, brought on by a traumatic brain injury.
That's the worst...the ones you leave behind, especially children...my son was 4 when my 1st husband died...when my 2nd husband died, I had another 10 year old boy and 7 year old girl...it has certainly affected their lives in a permanent way, and from my standpoint, it was very difficult having to be both mother and father...I often wonder what if...how would things be different for both them and me...

Yeah, I'm pretty scared of death.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are most people just do their best to not think about it. There's a lot of risky Behavior we all engage in that can cause us death at any moment the only way we can participate in these things is if we don't think about it. I do believe in an afterlife, and I do believe in God, but I am not worthy of it. It will only be about his grace that I get an afterlife. So not fearing death because you believe in God if you're Christian anyway is probably mostly bluster. I think what it boils down to is I don't fear death enough to be agoraphobic. But I do fear it enough to behave in a certain way, and ignore things that I know to be dangerous but I must do to not be agoraphobic.

Back
Top Bottom