• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do stand your ground laws allow the ground-stander to act agressively prior to[W:222]

Re: Do stand your ground laws allow the ground-stander to act agressively prior to...

You're going to get called on this.

He was not "told" to not pursue. He was informed it wasn't necessary for him to. There was no instruction or command to "not" do it, and the suggestion was also in conflict with earlier requests for him to continue giving them infomration as well.

By showing enough forensic evidence and expert testimony to provide reasonable doubt to the jury. It's actually quite simple.

:mrgreen: The conversation between Zimmerman and the Police dispatcher went something like this: ZIMMERMAN: "There's a suspicious looking black man out here. He acts like he's on drugs". POLICE DISPATCHER: "Are you following him?". ZIMMERMAN: "Yes"! POLICE DISPATCHER: "Okay, well, we don't NEED you to do that". If that don't tell you that the dispatcher was telling him not to pursue I'm not sure you understand English very well! Was he supposed to say "don't pursue the suspicious black man". The dispatcher was telling Zimmerman to stand down and not to pursue.

As far as forensic evidence is concerned, was there bruising on Martin's hands after giving this man who outweighed him by 80 lbs that savage beating? chuck

Last edited:
Re: Do stand your ground laws allow the ground-stander to act agressively prior to...

Probably like that. If I'm guessing, Bubba's issue was p robably with the notion of "aggressively pursuing". That's making an assumptive leap and assigning intent and style to what he was doing

:mrgreen: Zimmerman kept pursuing Martin in spite of being told by the Police dispatcher that that was not needed (that means in English, stand down Zimmerman!) Even though Martin ditched him briefly, Zimmerman found him again and escalated it. Hey Led Zyphlin! Hello! Is anybody home?!!! That is AGGRESSIVELY PURSUING!!!! chuck.

Zy ... You have the patience of a saint.[/QUOTE]

:mrgreen: And the mind of an IDIOT! Except for his last paragraph "Much is made about Trayvon Martin beating Zimmerman. etc..etc..etc.", he makes a stupid argument. If some guy punches me at a bar and I have a knife, I'm damn sure gonna pull it out and, not TRY to stab him, but ACTUALLY stab the S.O.B. tks, chuck

A few thoughts...

1. These are facts in the case: Trayvon Martin was unarmed. He has not committing any crime.
2. George Zimmerman called the police on him and identified him as "suspicious" and made the statement something to the effect of "these Blankety punks are always getting away with it"
3. George Zimmerman chose to get out of his vehicle and pursue Martin
4. A confrontation ensued, and trayvon martin was shot dead.
5. George Zimmerman had a small cut on his head and some blood on his face.
Zimmerman had several cuts on the back of his head that were consistent to having his head beat onto the edge of the pavement and his nose was battered and swollen from being punched.

No blood was found on Trayvon Martin's hands or any bruising on his hands as one would expect with giving someone a beating
When people die their blood stops flowing and so bruising wouldn't have had time to occur on Trayvon's hands.

6 George Zimmerman HAD physical MMA training.. AND KNEW that police were on the way to come and help him because he had already called them.
This is a smoking gun...so to speak. Zimmerman KNEW the police were on the way and Trayvon didn't. But were the police treating this has an emergency? Because they didn't seem to show up until after witnesses dialed 911 and a gunshot was heard and who knows how long that was before they showed up.

Self Defense does not allow you to pursue unarmed, individuals, with intent on confronting them, and then when THEY defend themselves from being pursued in the dark and you aren't getting the best of them... to then pull out your weapon and shoot them.
However, Zimmerman had lost sight of Trayvon and was no longer following him when the confrontation took place. He may have even been heading back to his car to wait for the police.

Much is made about Trayvon Martin beating Zimmerman. Well, I know that if I was being pursued by a strange person, in the dark, I might try to present myself as something other than a victim and ask the fellow why he was following me. And if a confrontation ensued.. and that person was reaching for a weapon.. I certainly would be doing whatever was necessary to defend myself from someone who had pursued me down a dark street.. and who is know trying to kill me.
You might also try to avoid a confrontation altogether by running away..which is the best self defense of all. But Trayvon didn't do that. Another clue as to the type of guy Trayvon was is to listen and see the attitude of his friend, Rachel during recent interviews. She has the attitude that no one is going to get one over on her. I suspect Trayvon's pride wouldn't let anyone get one over on him, either. So he may have waited in the dark to confront Zimmerman.

Yes, I think it was a case of self defense for Zimmerman. But with mitigating circumstances that Zimmerman created the situation and knew he had the advantage of a gun and the police were coming. All Trayvon knew is that some creep was following him in the dark.

How would you phrase "Zimmerman following Martin"?

I would phrase it "Zimmerman following Martin". Duhhhhh! chuck.

How would you phrase "Zimmerman following Martin"?

well ... if to you "aggressively pursuing" = "following" then we have nothing else to talk about.

:mrgreen: And the mind of an IDIOT! Except for his last paragraph "Much is made about Trayvon Martin beating Zimmerman. etc..etc..etc.", he makes a stupid argument. If some guy punches me at a bar and I have a knife, I'm damn sure gonna pull it out and, not TRY to stab him, but ACTUALLY stab the S.O.B. tks, chuck

Okay, chuck ...I've read your posts ... you've demonstrated the proposition that on the internet, the degree of indignation of a poster is in inverse proportion to their knowledge of the subject being discussed.
The proposition can now be considered a theorem.

Last edited:

Zimmerman had several cuts on the back of his head that were consistent to having his head beat onto the edge of the pavement and his nose was battered and swollen from being punched.

When people die their blood stops flowing and so bruising wouldn't have had time to occur on Trayvon's hands.

This is a smoking gun...so to speak. Zimmerman KNEW the police were on the way and Trayvon didn't. But were the police treating this has an emergency? Because they didn't seem to show up until after witnesses dialed 911 and a gunshot was heard and who knows how long that was before they showed up.

However, Zimmerman had lost sight of Trayvon and was no longer following him when the confrontation took place. He may have even been heading back to his car to wait for the police.

You might also try to avoid a confrontation altogether by running away..which is the best self defense of all. But Trayvon didn't do that. Another clue as to the type of guy Trayvon was is to listen and see the attitude of his friend, Rachel during recent interviews. She has the attitude that no one is going to get one over on her. I suspect Trayvon's pride wouldn't let anyone get one over on him, either. So he may have waited in the dark to confront Zimmerman.

Yes, I think it was a case of self defense for Zimmerman. But with mitigating circumstances that Zimmerman created the situation and knew he had the advantage of a gun and the police were coming. All Trayvon knew is that some creep was following him in the dark.

:mrgreen: Are you really saying the Police could not tell if there was bruising on Trayvon's hands because he was shot dead before the blood could flow? Give me a fu##$ing break!!!

You try to say the burden was on Martin to try and run away? Martin was minding his own business, attitude or not, eating his skittles and talking to his girlfriend. Zimmerman shouldn't have been following him.

Zimmerman had lost sight of Trayvon and was no longer following him? Zimmerman went back to his car, not to wait for Police, but to locate Martin again!

I disagree with your last paragraph where you say 'it was a case of self defense for Zimmerman', but I agree with the rest of it. chuck.

Okay, chuck ...I've read your posts ... you've demonstrated the proposition that on the internet, the degree of indignation of a poster is in inverse proportion to their knowledge of the subject being discussed.
The proposition can now be considered a theorem.

:mrgreen: Bubba: Are you saying that because I'm indignant on some of my posts, that means I have no knowledge of the subject being discussed? I'm absolutely SHATTERED! NOT!!! chuck.

:mrgreen: Bubba: Are you saying that because I'm indignant on some of my posts, that means I have no knowledge of the subject being discussed? I'm absolutely SHATTERED! NOT!!! chuck.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

I don't know if Zimmerman is innocent or guilty in actuality. But, I am surprised and disappointed that the prosecution did not aggressively pursue the "provocation aspect" on Zimmerman's part. The fact is that if Zimmerman had not aggressively pursued TM, the teenager would be alive today. Especially when he was told by the 9-1-1 operator not to follow Martin. Both Zimmerman and Martin were at fault in this incident, with Martin paying with his life and Zimmerman going free. Both parties should be held accountable. While it appears that Zimmerman did act in self-defense, the incident would not have escalated to that point had Zimmerman followed police instructions.

:mrgreen: Mizmo, I couldn't agree more!!! But you need to straighten me out on why Martin was at fault. As far as I know he was a kid eating a bag of skittles and talking to his girlfriend on the phone. If you know that someone is pursuing you that could give you a bit of an attitude. tks, chuck

Isn't this like arguing who is the best boxer after the match?

:mrgreen: Mizmo, I couldn't agree more!!! But you need to straighten me out on why Martin was at fault. As far as I know he was a kid eating a bag of skittles and talking to his girlfriend on the phone. If you know that someone is pursuing you that could give you a bit of an attitude. tks, chuck

Why do you continue to give your opinion that is not based in reality? I have rarely seen such a large volume of innacuracies in a post as reading yours in this thread. Even the little things you get incorrect (the skittles were unopened; the girl he was talking to wasn't his girlfriend) and you present them with such vitriol it is borderline offensive.

Please just respond to this message with one of two things:

1. Admit that you know little factual information about this case.
or
2. Tell us where you get your information from.

A few thoughts...

1. These are facts in the case: Trayvon Martin was unarmed. He has not committing any crime.
2. George Zimmerman called the police on him and identified him as "suspicious" and made the statement something to the effect of "these Blankety punks are always getting away with it"
3. George Zimmerman chose to get out of his vehicle and pursue Martin
4. A confrontation ensued, and trayvon martin was shot dead.
5. George Zimmerman had a small cut on his head and some blood on his face. No blood was found on Trayvon Martin's hands or any bruising on his hands as one would expect with giving someone a beating
6 George Zimmerman HAD physical MMA training.. AND KNEW that police were on the way to come and help him because he had already called them.

Self Defense does not allow you to pursue unarmed, individuals, with intent on confronting them, and then when THEY defend themselves from being pursued in the dark and you aren't getting the best of them... to then pull out your weapon and shoot them.

Much is made about Trayvon Martin beating Zimmerman. Well, I know that if I was being pursued by a strange person, in the dark, I might try to present myself as something other than a victim and ask the fellow why he was following me. And if a confrontation ensued.. and that person was reaching for a weapon.. I certainly would be doing whatever was necessary to defend myself from someone who had pursued me down a dark street.. and who is know trying to kill me.

A

These are the actual facts and not conjecture on the part of biased third parties who were not there when Trayvon died or the moments leading up to it:

1. The jury was presented with nine days of evidence by the prosecution and defense in good faith.
2. The jury was advised by the judge on what constitutes 2nd degree murder and manslaughter.
3. The jury deliberated upon the evidence provided by the prosocution and defense in good faith.
4. The jury could not find Martin guilty of either in good faith.

Ohhh....my bad. Sorry. I was under the assumption that Travons parents and their supporters wanted a fair trial based upon constitutional due process and an impartial jury. I guess I was wrong.

BTW, you are partially correct. Neither GZ or TM were commiting a crime. It only became criminal when TM turned it into an assualt. He had the option to flee and call the police too.

Last edited:

:mrgreen: The conversation between Zimmerman and the Police dispatcher went something like this: ZIMMERMAN: "There's a suspicious looking black man out here.

You should not paraphrase things when people have access to the ACTUAL stuff, because it shows your dishonest attepmts to paint a situation.

Zimmerman's mention of him as "black" came in response to this line of conversation:

[qoute]Dispatcher: Sanford Police Department. ...

Zimmerman: Hey we've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy, uh, [near] Retreat View Circle, um, the best address I can give you is 111 Retreat View Circle. This guy looks like he's up to no good, or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about.

Dispatcher: OK, and this guy is he white, black, or Hispanic?

Zimmerman: He looks black[/quote]

He brought up race because it was specifically asked to him, and it wasn't said in any way on his part in combination with his suggestions of "suspicious looking". Black is mentioned once more, when Trayvon is coming towards zimmerman and Zimmerman gets a better look at him and confirms he's black:

Dispatcher: That's the clubhouse, do you know what the--he's near the clubhouse right now?

Zimmerman: Yeah, now he's coming towards me.

Dispatcher: OK

Zimmerman: He's got his hand in his waistband. And he's a black male.

Dispatcher: How old would you say he looks?

Zimmerman: He's got button on his shirt, late teens.

Dispatcher: Late teens ok.

As you can see, as he comes closer the dispatcher and Zimmerman begin to ask and answer questions getting a better description of Zimmerman.

But you know, it's much easier to "paraphrase" in a way that paints the picture clearly in the way you'd like it than actually use the source where it's far more ambiguous.

POLICE DISPATCHER: "Are you following him?". ZIMMERMAN: "Yes"! POLICE DISPATCHER: "Okay, well, we don't NEED you to do that".

You're questioning my english comrpehension when you continue to suggest that someone stating they don't NEED you to do something is the same as telling you explicitely NOT to do it? Its reasonable to suggest the Dispatcher didn't want him to do it, but that's differently than saying he directly TOLD him not to do it. If he wanted to tell him not to do it he could've said "Do not follow him". Simple as that, without the embelishment to try and emotionally prop up your argument with the hyperbolic example you put out.

Second, again...your paraphrasing and leaving out of evidence on the side that you're not on just shows your dishonest and your clear cut purpose of propoganda here. Let me again refer you to the ACTUAL statements, not a fraudulent paraphase like you keep presenting:

Dispatcher: Just let me know if he does anything ok

Zimmerman: How long until you get an officer over here?

Dispatcher: Yeah we've got someone on the way, just let me know if this guy does anything else.

Zimmerman: Okay. These assholes they always get away. When you come to the clubhouse you come straight in and make a left. Actually you would go past the clubhouse.

Dispatcher: So it's on the lefthand side from the clubhouse?

Zimmerman: No you go in straight through the entrance and then you make a left...uh you go straight in, don't turn, and make a left. **** he's running.

Dispatcher: He's running? Which way is he running?

Zimmerman: Down towards the other entrance to the neighborhood.

Dispatcher: Which entrance is that that he's heading towards?

Zimmerman: The back entrance...****ing [unintelligible]

Dispatcher: Are you following him?

Zimmerman: Yeah

Dispatcher: Ok, we don't need you to do that.

Zimmerman: Ok

Note a few things here.

Three times, each bolded for emphasis, the dispatcher requests that Zimmerman tells him what Trayvon is doing. Just like it's reasonable to assume the Dispatcher didn't want him to follow Trayvon with his last statement, it's ALSO reasonable to assume someone would think they need to keep a person in eye sight when they're being asked to tell the dispatcher what the person is doing. And that could require persuing them.

As to the final comment about following him, that does beg a question. However, the problem is there's no concrete evidence what so ever as to whether or not the "following" of Martin that Zimmerman did was in the early part of that call OR if it occured further after that call. Thus back to the issue of reasonable doubt.

But even beyond that, following him is still a perfectly legal and legitimate action to do and does not in and of itself justify physical force nor preclude self defense.

As far as forensic evidence is concerned, was there bruising on Martin's hands after giving this man who outweighed him by 80 lbs that savage beating? chuck

Nope. At the same time, there wasn't a mysterious 3rd person found who caused the bruising and cuts upon George Zimmerman. You have conflicting forensic evidence. There are some people, like me, that recognizes that we have conflicting evidence and acknowledges both and simply comes down that there's a reasonable doubt to how things occured....and then there's people like you that just seek to propogandize, ignore everything that doesn't fit their narrow little vision, and continue to try to rape the dead body of Trayvon for every bit of political capital they can get out of it.

(Source to the ACTUAL transcript)

:mrgreen: Zimmerman kept pursuing Martin in spite of being told by the Police dispatcher that that was not needed (that means in English, stand down Zimmerman!) Even though Martin ditched him briefly, Zimmerman found him again and escalated it. Hey Led Zyphlin! Hello! Is anybody home?!!! That is AGGRESSIVELY PURSUING!!!! chuck.

There is no clear evidence what so ever that Zimmerman "found him again" and "escalated" it. There's similar evidence, in type and quantity, to suggest that it was the other way around. The difference here is, as has been the case all thread, you just ignore evidence that doesn't help your propogandizing and then act like the evidence that helps your case is somehow rock solid and beyond repute.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

Before Chuck71 chides you for not citing the quote, I'm going to jump in and say "MARK TWAIN." :2bow:

Good afternoon, Bubba! :2wave:

:mrgreen: Are you really saying the Police could not tell if there was bruising on Trayvon's hands because he was shot dead before the blood could flow? Give me a fu##$ing break!!!
No, I'm saying that the foresenic expert at the trial said that.

You try to say the burden was on Martin to try and run away? Martin was minding his own business, attitude or not, eating his skittles and talking to his girlfriend. Zimmerman shouldn't have been following him.
He had every opportunity to leave the vicinity or call 911 on his cell phone. That is the first line of self defense. Instead, he called his female friend.

Zimmerman had lost sight of Trayvon and was no longer following him?
That is what Zimmerman told the police dispatcher about five minutes before the confrontation.
Zimmerman went back to his car, not to wait for Police, but to locate Martin again!
Theres no proof of that.

I disagree with your last paragraph where you say 'it was a case of self defense for Zimmerman', but I agree with the rest of it. chuck.
Zimmerman was found not guilty based on the evidence in the immediate moments prior to the attack itself and he had enough evidence to cast doubt on the prosecutions charges against him. According to the law, that is all he needed.

No, I'm saying that the foresenic expert at the trial said that.

He had every opportunity to leave the vicinity or call 911 on his cell phone. That is the first line of self defense. Instead, he called his female friend.

That is what Zimmerman told the police dispatcher about five minutes before the confrontation. Theres no proof of that.

Zimmerman was found not guilty based on the evidence in the immediate moments prior to the attack itself and he had enough evidence to cast doubt on the prosecutions charges against him. According to the law, that is all he needed.

*polite golf clap*

LiveLeak.com - Pastor: Why Blacks Blame Zimmerman. Why Trayvon Martin got skittles?

Zimmerman had lost sight of Trayvon and was no longer following him? Zimmerman went back to his car, not to wait for Police, but to locate Martin again!

And there you have it Chuck. Your posts are a poster child of why it important to get all the evidence and all the facts before making such an important decision.

Awesome video follows: LiveLeak.com - Pastor: Why Blacks Blame Zimmerman. Why Trayvon Martin got skittles?

Dispatcher: Just let me know if he does anything ok

Zimmerman: How long until you get an officer over here?

Dispatcher: Yeah we've got someone on the way, just let me know if this guy does anything else.

Zimmerman: Okay. These assholes they always get away. When you come to the clubhouse you come straight in and make a left. Actually you would go past the clubhouse.

Dispatcher: So it's on the lefthand side from the clubhouse?

Zimmerman: No you go in straight through the entrance and then you make a left...uh you go straight in, don't turn, and make a left. **** he's running.

Dispatcher: He's running? Which way is he running?

Zimmerman: Down towards the other entrance to the neighborhood.

Dispatcher: Which entrance is that that he's heading towards?

Zimmerman: The back entrance...****ing [unintelligible]

Dispatcher: Are you following him?

Zimmerman: Yeah

Dispatcher: Ok, we don't need you to do that.

Zimmerman: Ok
Oh its looks Trayvon was trying to run away, after all. And not just walking, but running. And with Zimmerman on his tail, it now it appears that Trayvon had little choice but to confront his pursuer.

Oh its looks Trayvon was trying to run away, after all. And not just walking, but running. And with Zimmerman on his tail, it now it appears that Trayvon had little choice but to confront his pursuer.

I bet they find Zimmerman guilty based on this.

Not guilty, never should have been taken to court in the first place.

Sigh.

Except there's no evidence he was "on his tail". More than that, if you'd have actually read the link to hte transcript, you'd see this was far from the last part of the conversation he had with the dispatcher...

There's 27 more lines of text following the "Ok" after "Ok, we don't need yo uto do that", asking questions to Zimmerman, asking for the address he's near, etc. None of the indication is that the audio of hte call sounds like he's running after Trayvon as he's trying to answer the various questions or anything else of the sort. So quoting one part of the entire thing that I posted and saying that part makes it "look" like Zimmerman was "on his tail" a bit off.

In FL, you can taunt, aggravate, even assault someone...and as a result, get assaulted back, and if the repost is such that you genuinely fear for your life, execute lethal force in self defense.

It's called self defense for the aggressor.

Back
Top Bottom