• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Do it for your granddaddy, do it for your big momma, do it for your poppop'

Was this comment racist?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Couldn't be

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Cultural Denigration and bias? You decide.

Surgeon general is under fire for 'offensive' instruction for black Americans not to smoke or drink | Daily Mail Online

-- Surgeon General Jerome Adams has been met with outrage by the black community for using phrases like 'abuela', 'big momma' and 'poppop', while pleading for minorities to not drink or smoke and follow the government's guidelines to slow the spread of the coronavirus .

'We need you to do this if not for yourself than for your abuela. Do it for your granddaddy, do it for your big momma, do it for your poppop,' the nation's top doctor said Friday at the daily coronavirus taskforce briefing - while also advising those groups to 'avoid alcohol, tobacco and drugs.'

Now members of the black community are calling out the Surgeon General for 'pandering' to them with his use of slang and also for his 'offensive' instruction that those specific communities to stop drinking and smoking during this pandemic. --

Surgeon general is under fire for 'offensive' instruction for black Americans not to smoke or drink | Daily Mail Online

-- Surgeon General Jerome Adams has been met with outrage by the black community for using phrases like 'abuela', 'big momma' and 'poppop', while pleading for minorities to not drink or smoke and follow the government's guidelines to slow the spread of the coronavirus .

'We need you to do this if not for yourself than for your abuela. Do it for your granddaddy, do it for your big momma, do it for your poppop,' the nation's top doctor said Friday at the daily coronavirus taskforce briefing - while also advising those groups to 'avoid alcohol, tobacco and drugs.'

Now members of the black community are calling out the Surgeon General for 'pandering' to them with his use of slang and also for his 'offensive' instruction that those specific communities to stop drinking and smoking during this pandemic. --

Snowflakes come in all colors.

To the extent the article actually posted images of things people tweeted, it sounds like some black people and hispanics are pissed because it sounds to them like he thinks only black people and hispanics use drugs, alcohol, nicotine. Or, that they are particularly vulnerable and thus are the only people who should be careful.

ie,

example.jpg

Can a black person be racist? According to sociology, no. Colloquially, yes.

But can a black person be racist against black people, ie, believe that they are inherently inferior in some way? I suppose it's conceivable, but that isn't really what this sounds like. I'm not sure it's racist, but it sure is weird to word a warning not to smoke, do drugs, or drink in such a fashion. All races do those things.

Last edited:
i don't believe that alcohol increases the risk of contagious respiratory illnesses. smoking anything does, though. as for racism, i'd have to defer to the targeted group on that one.

Helix, no one cares what you think about alcohol and disease, no one.

The only racist comments were by the community attacking the SG.

i don't believe that alcohol increases the risk of contagious respiratory illnesses. smoking anything does, though. as for racism, i'd have to defer to the targeted group on that one.

Alcohol does impact the immune system, though that's in heavier regular drinkers. That is, I'm pretty sure the effect is dose and frequency dependent but I couldn't tell you where a statistically significant effect begins. So while it doesn't make respiratory illnesses worse specifically, it can generally weaken your immune response to diseases in general.

Helix, no one cares what you think about alcohol and disease, no one.

The only racist comments were by the community attacking the SG.

Black people upset at a black surgeon general for appearing to suggest that it's only black people/hispanics who smoke/drink/do drugs are not making "racist comments". That is moronic.

PS: you're going to attack someone out of the blue and not even quote them? Classy.

^
Sarcasm

i don't believe that alcohol increases the risk of contagious respiratory illnesses.

An alcoholic is perpetually dehydrated. Alcohol, especially addiction, weakens the immune system in a number of ways. It's not like alcohol directly attacks the immune system, it just ****s a body up in general. Drinking while sick is a ticket to the grave.

Alcohol does impact the immune system, though that's in heavier regular drinkers. That is, I'm pretty sure the effect is dose and frequency dependent but I couldn't tell you where a statistically significant effect begins. So while it doesn't make respiratory illnesses worse specifically, it can generally weaken your immune response to diseases in general.

Black people upset at a black surgeon general for appearing to suggest that it's only black people/hispanics who smoke/drink/do drugs are not making "racist comments". That is moronic.

PS: you're going to attack someone out of the blue and not even quote them? Classy.

^
Sarcasm

I always got cold sores from too much sun, stress, and heavy drinking.

An alcoholic is perpetually dehydrated. Alcohol, especially addiction, weakens the immune system in a number of ways. It's not like alcohol directly attacks the immune system, it just ****s a body up in general. Drinking while sick is a ticket to the grave.

i wasn't talking about falling down in the gutter.

Edit: my prior comment was wrong. It DOES affect acute respiratory stress syndromes, as well as the immune system more broadly, and of course a whole lot more.

Clinicians have long observed an association between excessive alcohol consumption and adverse immune-related health effects such as susceptibility to pneumonia. In recent decades, this association has been expanded to a greater likelihood of acute respiratory stress syndromes (ARDS), sepsis, alcoholic liver disease (ALD), and certain cancers; a higher incidence of postoperative complications; and slower and less complete recovery from infection and physical trauma, including poor wound healing. This issue of Alcohol Research: Current Reviews (ARCR) summarizes the evidence that alcohol disrupts immune pathways in complex and seemingly paradoxical ways. These disruptions can impair the body’s ability to defend against infection, contribute to organ damage associated with alcohol consumption, and impede recovery from tissue injury. It is our hope that a greater understanding of the specific mechanisms through which alcohol exerts its effects on the immune system may lead to development of interventions to prevent, or at least mitigate, the negative health consequences of alcohol misuse.

Contributors to this issue of ARCR lay the groundwork for understanding the multilayered interactions between alcohol and immune function by presenting an overview of the immune system (see the article by Spiering) and by reviewing current research on the effects of alcohol on innate immunity (see the article by Nagy) and on adaptive immunity (see the article by Pasala and colleagues). As reviewed by Szabo and Saha, alcohol’s combined effects on both innate and adaptive immunity significantly weaken host defenses, predisposing chronic drinkers to a wide range of health problems, including infections and systemic inflammation. Alcohol’s widespread effects on immune function also are underscored in the article by Gauthier, which examines how in utero alcohol exposure interferes with the developing immune system in the fetus. This exposure increases a newborn’s risk of infection and disease; additional evidence suggests that alcohol’s deleterious effects on immune development last into adulthood.

[Cont.]

Alcohol and the Immune System

See also:

Alcohol’s Effect on Host Defense

Less authoritative:

6 Surprising Ways Alcohol Affects Your Health — Not Just Your Liver – Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic

How Does Alcohol Affect Your Immune System? | Recovery Ways

See above.

To the extent the article actually posted images of things people tweeted, it sounds like some black people and hispanics are pissed because it sounds to them like he thinks only black people and hispanics use drugs, alcohol, nicotine. Or, that they are particularly vulnerable and thus are the only people who should be careful.

ie,

View attachment 67277724

Can a black person be racist? According to sociology, no. Colloquially, yes.

But can a black person be racist against black people, ie, believe that they are inherently inferior in some way? I suppose it's conceivable, but that isn't really what this sounds like. I'm not sure it's racist, but it sure is weird to word a warning not to smoke, do drugs, or drink in such a fashion. All races do those things.

The press conference was specifically addressing the rise of corona virus cases / deaths among the black and hispanic populations. The context makes perfect sense, and he broadened his remarks in response to highlight his medical recommendations were consistent with his medical advice as the Surgeon General concerning the consumption of alcohol, smoking and drug usage.

The press conference was specifically addressing the rise of corona virus cases / deaths among the black and hispanic populations. The context makes perfect sense, and he broadened his remarks in response to highlight his medical recommendations were consistent with his medical advice as the Surgeon General concerning the consumption of alcohol, smoking and drug usage.

Yes, but the cases/deaths among black/hispanics are not due to anything inherent to either race. It's due to access to resources, overall wealth, etc. A rich black person is no more or less likely to get it than a rich white person, or to die from it.

It's due to what our country's centuries-long embrace of racism has done to people belonging to those races, basically.

The press conference was being held to address rising concerns of COVID-19 among black and hispanic populations .. thus, the limitation of alcohol, smoking and drug usage was in context of these two populations.
(below)

I repeat:

Yes, but the cases/deaths among black/hispanics are not due to anything inherent to either race. It's due to access to resources, overall wealth, etc. A rich black person is no more or less likely to get it than a rich white person, or to die from it.

It's due to what our country's centuries-long embrace of racism has done to people belonging to those races, basically.

^
Sarcasm

The press conference was being held to address rising concerns of COVID-19 among black and hispanic populations .. thus, the limitation of alcohol, smoking and drug usage was in context of these two populations.

I would suggest you provide evidence that blacks and hispanics are having high rates of COVID-19 because of racism in 2020.

I would suggest you provide evidence that blacks and hispanics are having high rates of COVID-19 because of racism in 2020.

Oooooh fun. It's the dishonest debate board game where someone clearly broadcasts that they aren't going to consider anything contrary to what they have already decided and hopes I'm stupid enough to think that if I marshall evidence then present it, they'll actually reconsider what they've already decided. I'm supposed to waste my time doing that, then you'll go "dismissed", and then you'll have scored an internet point. Right?

I don't play that. That game is as old as debate boards, and it's blindingly obvious to me when someone wants to play it.

If you cannot understand why being more poor on average, being more likely to live in dense but underserved areas with a greater lack of available resources, and the like, might make it harder to take precautions (like buying masks, hand sanitizer, staying home and not working, etc) and make it harder to get care when needed, then there's nothing more to say. There are plenty of articles on this, but you won't find them on Fox.

But it probably isn't that you cannot understand. You just don't want to understand. If you understood, you'd have to realize the right wing's denial of racism was dead wrong and in fact harming your fellow Americans. And who wants to think that about themselves?

If anyone needs to present evidence, it's you, since you made your assertion first. Whereas I responded to it. So, I would suggest you provide evidence that blacks and hispanics are races that are inherently, due to genetic factors, extra susceptible to COVID-19. Go find some papers showing the influence these genetic factors have on COVID-19 incidence and mortality rates.

Go on.

:lol:

(Because....they quite obviously don't exist yet. This thing is new).

PS: I guarantee you will not understand why, but merely citing rates of infection/death is not "evidence" that they are inherently susceptible. Presenting rates is not probative of why the rates are what they are.

However, we do know about the effect of poverty and living in crap area has on the likelihood one will get/succumb to disease, any disease. It makes it higher. And we also know that centuries of racism gave and continue to give white people a huge advantage when it comes to this and many other things. The only question is whether one is politically motivated to lie about it.

:shrug:

Last edited:
Oooooh fun. It's the dishonest debate board game where someone clearly broadcasts that they aren't going to consider anything contrary to what they have already decided and hopes I'm stupid enough to think that if I marshall evidence then present it, they'll actually reconsider what they've already decided. I'm supposed to waste my time doing that, then you'll go "dismissed", and then you'll have scored an internet point. Right?

I don't play that. That game is as old as debate boards, and it's blindingly obvious to me when someone wants to play it.

If you cannot understand why being more poor on average, being more likely to live in dense but underserved areas with a greater lack of available resources, and the like, might make it harder to take precautions (like buying masks, hand sanitizer, staying home and not working, etc) and make it harder to get care when needed, then there's nothing more to say. There are plenty of articles on this, but you won't find them on Fox.

But it probably isn't that you cannot understand. You just don't want to understand. If you understood, you'd have to realize the right wing's denial of racism was dead wrong and in fact harming your fellow Americans. And who wants to think that about themselves?

If anyone needs to present evidence, it's you, since you made your assertion first. Whereas I responded to it. So, I would suggest you provide evidence that blacks and hispanics are races that are inherently, due to genetic factors, extra susceptible to COVID-19. Go find some papers showing the influence these genetic factors have on COVID-19 incidence and mortality rates.

Go on.

:lol:

(Because....they quite obviously don't exist yet. This thing is new).

PS: I guarantee you will not understand why, but merely citing rates of infection/death is not "evidence" that they are inherently susceptible. Presenting rates is not probative of why the rates are what they are.

However, we do know about the effect of poverty and living in crap area has on the likelihood one will get/succumb to disease, any disease. It makes it higher. And we also know that centuries of racism gave and continue to give white people a huge advantage when it comes to this and many other things. The only question is whether one is politically motivated to lie about it.

:shrug:

I personally could care less about scoring points, and I have no issue with correcting statements when I've provided incorrect information (which I've demonstrated in a couple of my posts).

I've been extremely consistent with my COVID-19 posts: a majority of deaths caused by COVID-19 are based on pre-existing conditions as a catalyst and I've not alluded to any factors concerning genetics (outside of pre-existing conditions)

I do see a disconnect on this thread; however, where some (including you) are taking the press conference out of context (including all individuals regardless of race) and only targeting blacks/hispanics on their consumption of alcohol, smoking and drug usage.

Sorry, when a BLACK MAN talks to BLACK citizens, it cannot be racist.

There are a disproportionate number of cases of this virus in the black community. I live in a mixed community and blacks, and Hispanics, certainly aren't taking this virus seriously enough.

I was out on my pontoon boat this weekend, which allows me to keep my "social distance", and the lake shelters had lots of black and Hispanics congregating in groups much larger than ten people. The fishing dock had about two dozen people sitting right next to each other on the benches fishing. All of them were black, with some kids. When I do still have to go to the grocery store at times I still see black and Hispanic families there with their kids. Almost none of them were wearing masks, which I do.

To be fair, I suspect young, and low economic class whites aren't taking this seriously either. My well educated black and Hispanic friends actually do take precautions, like wearing masks when they do have to go out. But since a higher proportion of blacks and Hispanics are in the lower economic strata, who don't seem to be taking this seriously, they are being disproportionately infected. It is to these people the SC was pleading. And he was trying to put it in terms they could relate to.

Last edited:
Any regularity, even weekly, weakens the body.

I doubt that moderate drinking is even comparable to a pack a day habit when it comes to respiratory illnesses. That was my point, as I'm sure you already know.

Non-Hispanic blacks (49.6%) had the highest age-adjusted prevalence of obesity, followed by Hispanics (44.8%), non-Hispanic whites (42.2%) and non-Hispanic Asians (17.4%).
The prevalence of obesity was 40.0% among young adults aged 20 to 39 years, 44.8% among middle-aged adults aged 40 to 59 years, and 42.8% among older adults aged 60 and older

Adult Obesity Facts | Overweight & Obesity | CDC

Obesity is a major factor. Black people have a higher incidence of obesity. Poverty leads to obesity too (you'd think it would be the opposite).

No, means, it isn't racist, and "Couldn't be" means, 'it cannot be racist.' Did you vote wrong or don't see a difference?

it cannot be racist can easily be defined not racist which could easily be summarized NO.

Back
Top Bottom