• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dining out in France - or elsewhere in a French-style restaurant

The Memorial area of Houston has a nice French bistro called 555 or something like that.

kPPLeIJnyMR71iuCj4ep534sjwxOeUcH41zIb9vhEcrkCHxkQvi6-vQjKSON1-bXZJYxlNxTZGeVDqMo7MMra5sqThYsGXfjbCXrfmfZDPnQsAX_HHNh_DiSik1Yo1J2GQj9r9d1LsEm9t3VXXY85fB3ONMGPs934YuPacACWhWL3sZxvw0LggyB14adhfgTzGY3UFPb04RX2iYU_gt0H5bWbntewjD-QdYT9m428HS9K_nPGWCe64rlydJOqQqe27Ip9hKhhy7mODed8abgGCh5kuW2yQ_W3X3iMUASoIgbKrGztJuxEv-PdgjWEpZn15TleCP4R9ciL0K6JIfHFA_Az4FU8zM4BcYtxGChtKJGhls3ldldIZABa9lOx3GQ4Isuq6kY25BAv02mRVF7igvBqshEgPRgCUeAEljG_18ZgbGP1Z57wQLax7p1qy-BcEGsd03-5MOaWkeJkK7Bcaps-mQaZmopbt9AFcyufj0I6gE7kNjn38ExJpqN3VmQj_rqgAZy32hI41aQ5AvYXRg0q4TyseLtOzjoL8pFPfbGvFLMTkYJB_nVGSOtsIX2gasYJNuFlsbt7uXYVCDoFszWO0SydRNcE8IIcHxuzwNjuDbF13pjI8gFIri_dII8G8hU4W-Fw34nO197waQHZ_eim4zT9dofWBL8E5tYEvYXB46oQ_WKtbAYfPGX6I8kZUE_mICMMH9wyUhFmflQ926P=w948-h1263-no

I know it's kind of a caricature of French cooking but the beef bourguignon above was so satisfying that I remember I skipped lunch the next day. The funny thing is that I went there mostly for the dessert they featured. The meal blew me away and the dessert was pedestrian.

I wanted to go to France on Monday again.
But due to the Covid situation I am not sure any more ...

I was there last week.
But today I won't go.
France has been declared a high risk area.
So I will stay at home.

:(

I miss going across the River Rhine for lunch ....
But I do not want to take any risk with Covid19 ....

I wanted to have lunch in France again yesterday - but I did not get there yesterday - just 3 km away from France my car had a flat tyre - and I had to call the ADAC - a German road help service

:(

This Monday we have been there - for Valentine's Day. :)

When was the last time that you have been to a French restaurant?

Used to have offices in Paris and holiday in the South. Food was pretty great everywhere from the local village bakeries to the expensive stuff in Paris. Only thing I eventually got tired off was rare cooked duck breast in a rich wine sauce. Turned up at every damn high level customer lunch for some reason.

Worst French restaurant experience I ever had was some snobby place in Helsinki, Finland where the local celebrities dine. All showy service with the French accents etc, and crappy food.

When was the last time that you have been to a French restaurant?
Do you mean a restaurant in France or a restaurant that serves french cuisine?
The former is june 2019 the latter is last month

It's about time that I go to "my" restaurant in the Alsace once again. :)

It's about time that I go to "my" restaurant in the Alsace once again. :)
I had a lovely meal in Colmar years ago. As a vegetarian it can be tricky but the chef insisted on making me something special. To be honest, I always make a point *not* to ask for anything vegetarian. I typically order with something omitted or order side dishes, etc, so as not to draw attention and make a fuss (I learned this as a child). He was very kind and brought me a plate of German inspired foods. I most remember the spaetzle, which was very good. It was a simple and tasty meal. Also, he brought out a bottle of Riesling which was interesting.

I most remember the spaetzle, which was very good. It was a simple and tasty meal. Also, he brought out a bottle of Riesling which was interesting.
Spätzle in the Alsace are just as fine as on the other side of the River Rhine! :)

Today I have been there again - and enjoyed a good fish. :)

Before I had a small slice of "Presskopf".

Presskopf wurst is a variety of German head cheese that is made with different animal parts such as pork or calf head meat, rinds, bacon, pork heart, and sometimes pork blood or pork muscle meat. The sausage mixture is typically flavored with ingredients such as garlic, onions, pepper, salt, nutmeg, and sugar, and it is usually filled into sausage casings.

The word presskopf means pressed head in German, and it refers to the method of pressing the sausage once it has gone through the process of scalding. The name of this cooked sausage varies from one region to another, with presssack, presswurst, and schwartenmagen being some of the common name variations.

Presskopf wurst is typically enjoyed thinly sliced on top of bread, smeared with mustard or horseradish, or tossed with raw onions and vinaigrette.

Usually I do not like Presskopf - but in the Alsace it is prepared in an elegant and tasty way. :)

Maybe I will go there again today - for Saint Patrick's day!

They know how to bake. Their deserts are sublime. Not partial to their salads.

Paris is often excellent. We have stumbled onto small restaurants that were as good as or better than highly recommend restaurants.

Lyon is often said to be the center of French cuisine. I suppose it might be. But I’m not into horse meat, organ meats and the like. Lyon seems to be big on such things.

Strasbourg is very good though sometimes over doing sauerkraut, sweet potatoes and duck.

Best meal in France so far, Rouen.

Today I had a "Bouchée à la Reine" in the Alsace:

BOUCHÉES À LA REINE​

Bouchées à la reine are very small flaky pastries that are essentially vol-au-vents. Some say they’re different from vol-au-vents but Larousse describes one as being a “small, individual vol-au-vent.” The pastry is garnished with a dollop of a savoury mixture bound together with a creamy white sauce.
You make the pastry and bake the shells first, and cut off the top, keep them as “hats” for the shells.

For some time now I have not been to France for dinner.
This week I plan to go there again.

Do you mean a restaurant in France or a restaurant that serves french cuisine?
The former is june 2019 the latter is last month

I was last there in July 2018 and booked to return in December 2019. COVID messed up our return trip. We were able to get full credit on our cancelled flight and intend to return this year, maybe November or December.

Too much France just ain't enough.

Back
Top Bottom