• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dining out in France - or elsewhere in a French-style restaurant

All this talk about French baguettes makes me really want to try one. I have had baguettes before, and honestly I wasn't super-impressed. But I guess it was probably not a true French baguette.

I remember trying this one type of baguette-shaped bread, it contained garlic, and it tasted really good. It came from a local bakery which was originally from Australia. I also quite like bread that contains walnut and various seeds. I like how it doesn't taste super-flavorful, because this way I can truly appreciate the subdued but very superb, natural aroma that comes from bread that's been risen with yeast. My dad doesn't like it though, he prefers really sweet bread or pastries.

Let me put it this way:
You can find good wine in many regions on earth.
I am not one of those German wine snobs that look down on German wines and maintain that only French wines are drinkable.
That way they want to prove that they are "connaisseurs".
In my view they prove the opposite.
A real connaisseur worthy of the word knows and values lots of different wines.
Somebody who boasts all day that they only drink the most expensive French wines is clearly just a snob.

That said I will add that I value French wines highly.
Most of them are fine, if not all of them of course.

And again - as with the food - it is important which way they are served.
I’m not sure how to say ‘troll’ in German… but I wouldnt take any of that guys posts seriously.

What are your experiences? :)
French food is fantastic, and its even better when you are in France.

Yes, you can find a baguette, or croissant, thats as good as anything in France, but you have to really hunt for it, whereas in France, the average one will be much better than the average one anywhere else. French restaurants tend to be high end here, but there are plenty of bistros and French influenced spots in cities here that make a great steak frites, or French onion soup, or escargots de Bourgogne. And no matter how good other wines are, a good Bordeaux cant be beat.

When in France, we have mostly gotten baguettes and meat/cheese for dinner. Midday meals are ok, but If you enter a restaurant in France looking for a table before 2000hrs, they look at you as though you were nuts.
I didnt notice that - but that may be common in Southern France - like Spain.

I was in Paris and Normandy/Brittany a few years ago, and we ate at normal times 6 - 7PM? - and the restaurants were full.

I was in Paris and Normandy/Brittany a few years ago, and we ate at normal times 6 - 7PM? - and the restaurants were full.
Yeah, it actually varies with latitude (IOW temperature and length of day). Outside of Paris one will actually see restaurants further North even closing around 22:00 hrs, especially outside of summer.

Seaside resorts on the Med. are different.

And better not get hungry (for a lunch) outside of 12:00hrs to 14:00hrs.

Reminding me of having decribed my first experience in France many years ago with "yeah, I've been to France but it was closed".

Last edited:

Spain is even later than France.

To the bread; there is a reason the French get their bread every day. We were in very rural France and there was a daily delivery in a Renault. Make one wonder what they put in our bread to make it last over a week…..

On a trip to northern Spain we often had dinner reservations at 10 pm

To the bread; there is a reason the French get their bread every day. We were in very rural France and there was a daily delivery in a Renault. Make one wonder what they put in our bread to make it last over a week…..
I don't think you want to know......

Calcium propionate. Sodium benzoate. Very safe, prevents mold growth and doesnt inhibit yeast. Metabolized like any other fatty acid.

I look for smaller places off the beaten track. If it's in a guidebook or near a tourist attraction I won't go near it.

You will need to reserve a table at that kind of place because of limited seating.

At a restaurant in Budapest with only 12 tables, everyone without a reservation was turned away except two people: me and my mom. The host asked his supervisor for permission to seat us at the only available table. We will never go to a restaurant like that one again without a reservation.

Calcium propionate. Sodium benzoate. Very safe, prevents mold growth and doesnt inhibit yeast. Metabolized like any other fatty acid.
We are lucky to have a French bakery open nearby. Left overnight the baguettes are quite stale. Which in my mind is a good thing....lol

I cut them in half, wrap and freeze one half and make sure the other half is eaten pronto.

Rye usually helps as well as a certain share of sourdough. Both forbidden in a real baguette which allows only pure wheat (exclusively) and wheat in bread has a very short shelf-life. IOW the morning baguette goes dry and hard by evening.

With "factory bread" there will of course be all sorts of other preservatives.

Another poster spoke of close tables in French restaurants and not liking the looks of steak tartare. I can attest to bumping elbows in a French restaurant, but I love a good steak tartare. Best I have had was in Switzerland, with a dose of cognac!

Today I wanted to dine at "The Swan" in Lauterbourg in Northern Alsace again.
But the place is closed until the 15th of August - like many other places in France as well,
Because of the August break.

Btw: I hold no truck with that over-gentil "Gentil". :)
I prefer the good old traditonal Edelzwicker.
Edelzwicker is noble enough for me. :)

I was never overly impressed with French restaurants. Paris is IMO overrated. Not bad, mind you...just not as special as they are made out to be. French bakeries...very nice. Some of the best meals we had involved baguettes from the bakery and deli cheeses and meats in the countryside.

Similar to London, I think some of the best cuisine in both Paris and London is the 'foreign' foods and usually in the off the beaten path non tourist locales.

I was never overly impressed with French restaurants. Paris is IMO overrated. Not bad, mind you...just not as special as they are made out to be. French bakeries...very nice. Some of the best meals we had involved baguettes from the bakery and deli cheeses and meats in the countryside.

Similar to London, I think some of the best cuisine in both Paris and London is the 'foreign' foods and usually in the off the beaten path non tourist locales.
Paris can be the typical tourist trap where low quality is peddled to the very same at rip-off prices.

There are plenty of exceptions but one needs to know the ropes which in my case consists of having friends there.

I agree on the "foreign" angle, by colonial heritage both cities provide ample diversity in foods. With the proprietors usually not sharing into the often blasé attitude that many Parisian restaurants show towards tourists, especially those not language competent.

Outside of Paris that gets a lot better, both in food and manners.

I’m 80% sure you went to Paris and got a ‘Royal with cheese’.

Just a guess tho,

Paris can be the typical tourist trap where low quality is peddled to the very same at rip-off prices.

There are plenty of exceptions but one needs to know the ropes which in my case consists of having friends there.

I agree on the "foreign" angle, by colonial heritage both cities provide ample diversity in foods. With the proprietors usually not sharing into the often blasé attitude that many Parisian restaurants show towards tourists, especially those not language competent.

Outside of Paris that gets a lot better, both in food and manners.
The hotel Vivian

Book it, Dano

Lauterbourg in the North Alsace is not over-rated.
Neither is the Edelzwicker. It is a good and honest traditional Alsatian wine.
A blend of different noble grape varieties, as the name says.

:)

I’m 80% sure you went to Paris and got a ‘Royal with cheese’.

Just a guess tho,
:ROFLMAO:

In that spirit I wouldn't call Choucroute (that which the thread starter is so blissful about) all that French either.

Nor is it particularly German (Sauerkraut), seeing how it originated in China, same as noodles (Italy eat yer heart out).

Last edited:
My favourite French restaurant will open again after the 15th of August. :)

^^^^^^^^^

.......reminds me of my previous comment of "yeah, I've been to France but it was closed"

Only the French would think of closing their gastronomy in the middle of summer holidays.

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom