• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dining out in France - or elsewhere in a French-style restaurant

^^^^^^^^^

.......reminds me of my previous comment of "yeah, I've been to France but it was closed"

Only the French would think of closing their gastronomy in the middle of summer holidays.

:rolleyes:
I find that to their credit. Restaurant workers should enjoy summer holidays also. :) It seems they might run the restaurant for reasons other than profit.

In France nearly everthing closes down in August.
Did I complain?
No.
I just stated that the restaurant was closed.

I find that to their credit. Restaurant workers should enjoy summer holidays also. :) It seems they might run the restaurant for reasons other than profit.
As from today, the Restaurant in Lauterburg is open again.

A little detail:
When I was at my restaurant in Lauterburg on Monday, I had to show my EU Digitales Covid-Impfzertifikat = EU Digital Covid Vaccination Certificate.
Fortunately I have got such a certificate.

This Monday I had a wonderful lunch in France.
Details later.
:)

Today I will go to Lauterburg in the Alsace again to have lunch.
Looking forwar to their plat du jour! :)

What I enjoyed yesterday in the Alsace:

Starter: a small piece of brawn with celery salad and tomatoes
Main course: thin sices of roast beef with Spätzle
Dessert: apple cake

Drink: Alsatian beer: Fischer Bräu.

What I enjoyed yesterday in the Alsace:

Starter: a small piece of brawn with celery salad and tomatoes
Main course: thin sices of roast beef with Spätzle
Dessert: apple cake

Drink: Alsatian beer: Fischer Bräu.
I'd skip the brawn, but the rest sounds good.

I am not a fan of brawn either.
But it was only a small and elegant piece of "Schwartenmagen" - as it is called here. :)

I am not a fan of brawn either.
But it was only a small and elegant piece of "Schwartenmagen" - as it is called here. :)
“Head Cheese?” No! A thousand times No!

Blutwurst is the only other NO!

I do not agree with those automatic translations.
"Schwartenmagen" is no Blutwurst and no cheese.
And as I said, the piece of Schwartenmagen that I had in the Alsace was an elegant small piece and tasted quite fine.

I am not quite sure what "brawn" is.
But the Alsatian "Schwartenmagen" was fine.

Not great. 30+miles north of us there is a CIA..The other CIA.. LOL.. Culinary Institute of America...

They have an American restaurant, an Italian restaurant and a French restaurant.. We've been to all 3.. Spectacular food at the Italian and American restaurant. Not so much at the French...

And:
Wurstmeister Mike uses Old-World methods and traditional recipes to make his award winning specialty German sausages that loyal customers have come to love. He selects the finest meats and spices to use for each recipe.

Braunschweiger, Liverwurst, Schwartenmagen (Head Cheese), Blutwurst (Blood Sausage) and Scrapple are all old-world German specialties made by the thrifty (not cheap) German pioneers. These pioneers used every part of the animal when butchering and created these wonderful traditional sausages many people still enjoy today. Weights vary per product but most range from 0.5 pound – 1 pound packages.

Translations like "head cheese" sound absolutely revolting and horrific to me and make me puke.
Maybe there is just no good explanation for "Schwartenmagen".

I do not agree with those automatic translations.
"Schwartenmagen" is no Blutwurst and no cheese.
And as I said, the piece of Schwartenmagen that I had in the Alsace was an elegant small piece and tasted quite fine.
I think you misunderstood the poster....besides no head cheese, he also says NO to Blutwurst.

Not great. 30+miles north of us there is a CIA..The other CIA.. LOL.. Culinary Institute of America...

They have an American restaurant, an Italian restaurant and a French restaurant.. We've been to all 3.. Spectacular food at the Italian and American restaurant. Not so much at the French...
I've only been to the American restaurant there. What happened at the French?

And:

Translations like "head cheese" sound absolutely revolting and horrific to me and make me puke.
Maybe there is just no good explanation for "Schwartenmagen".
Literal translation is Stomach Rind....which sounds a bit worse, and doesn't seem to fit the recipe.

I've only been to the American restaurant there. What happened at the French?
The 2 times we've been to the French restaurant. It just wasn't very good. Funny thing since Covid they opened up the American and French restaurants again. But the Italian restaurant is still closed. Been closed for about a year and a half now. And that is by far the most popular of the 3..

Idk..

Reactions: JMR
Literal translation is Stomach Rind....which sounds a bit worse, and doesn't seem to fit the recipe.
Whatever this "Schwartenmagen" may be in English or not be - the little piece of it that I was served in France - with celery salad and tomatoes - tasted fine! :)

Reactions: JMR
Tomorrow I plan to dine in France again.
I will tell you what they will have for starters this time.

Here it is now about half past ten in the morning.
Around half past eleven I will drive to France for dinner again.

And once again I am on my way to France just now. :)

This week I enjoyed a fine Bouchée à la reine.
In German: Königin-Pastete.
This would translate as "Queen Pie".

But I do not know the correct English name - maybe there is none.

Back
Top Bottom