• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Devin Nunes sues CNN for $435M over ‘false and defamatory’ Ukraine story

GOP voters are literally dying off and Trump is their deathknell.

Making the impending demise of the Democrat Party all the more remarkable.

But Democrats are addicted to losing, and you can't get through to addicts.

:shrug:

People need to use logic and reason. If he says he wasn't there, chances are he wasn't. In today's world. he knows how easy it is for the evil ones to refute this if he was wrong.
He has pictures of himself at a ceremony in Benghazi with some General. I'm sure he can prove the date.

That's a "no" then, lol. So sure, we'll take your word for this un-produceable "photographic evidence". Suuuure, we will!
I saw a video clip of him in Benghazi. I'm sure he produce all the evidence he needs to prove the dates in his lawsuit. You will just have to wait for it. When he does will you publicly admit you were wrong :lol:

I saw a video clip of him in Benghazi. I'm sure he produce all the evidence he needs to prove the dates in his lawsuit. You will just have to wait for it. When he does will you publicly admit you were wrong :lol:

So no link to back up your claim? You asked me to back up my claim, and I did so, why can't you?

Making the impending demise of the Democrat Party all the more remarkable.

But Democrats are addicted to losing, and you can't get through to addicts.

:shrug:

Dems addicted to losing? Is that what happened a year ago when they took the House?

Anyone catch Hannity call Lev Parnas Les? Could it be wants to distance himself from POTUS?

So no link to back up your claim? You asked me to back up my claim, and I did so, why can't you?
It will be out soon enough . Can you prove he went to Vienna? Or that he met Shokin ever?

It will be out soon enough . Can you prove he went to Vienna? Or that he met Shokin ever?

It's in the congressional travel record that Nunez went to Europe, Nov 30 to Dec. 3, 2018. It was Lev Parna's attorney, Joseph Bondy that told CNN that Nunes met with Shokin...apparently Parnas is willing to testify under oath to congress that he was the one who set up the trip to Ukraine for Nunes and his aid, Derek Harvey to meet Shokin and he was also the interpreter. Parnas says he learned from Harvey that Nunes timed the trip to be after the mid-term election but before congress returns to session in order to avoid disclosing the trip details to democrats in congress. When asked during a Nov. 24, 2019 interview on FoxNews whether he met with Shokin in Vienna, Nunes refused to answer. And now the phone records are showing that he was colluding with Giuliani, Parnas, Harvey and Solomon to get Ukraine to incriminate the Bidens from very early on.

Dems addicted to losing? Is that what happened a year ago when they took the House?

Indubitably. Standard cycle. :shrug:

What’s wrong with you?’

At least two people on this thread have produced evidence that Nunes was in Europe and submitted expenses for a European trip.

So, when confronted with evidence, you bury your head and cite some claim that you may once have “seen him in Benghazi with some general”.

BTW, contrary to your other made up claim, Turkey is not an EU member.

Sure you did so why isn't there an expense report in the Congressional report? Now your lying.

So that's a no, you can't back up your claim. Okay.

W/e evidence there is about Nunes whereabouts will have no impact on the fact that CNN does not appear to have said Nunes was in Vienna.
That'll be a sticking point his suit will have to overcome.

Nunes will still have to show that CNN somehow bears responsibility for the content of Bondy's comments.

Devin Nunes sues CNN for $435M over ‘false and defamatory’ Ukraine story | Fox News

Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., sued CNN for defamation on Tuesday, accusing the cable network of publishing a “demonstrably false hit piece” about him amid his high-profile opposition to the Trump impeachment inquiry.

The 47-page lawsuit, filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, accuses the liberal network of publishing “numerous egregiously false and defamatory” statements about Nunes on Nov. 22, 2019 when journalist Vicky Ward reported claims that Nunes met with Ukranian prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, in Vienna in 2018 to dig "up dirt" on Hunter and Joe Biden.

Nunes, who has been leading GOP opposition to the House Democratic impeachment inquiry in the House Intelligence Committee, says he “did not go to Vienna or anywhere else in Austria in 2018” and “has never met” Shokin.

“CNN is the mother of fake news. It is the least trusted name. CNN is eroding the fabric of America, proselytizing, sowing distrust and disharmony. It must be held accountable,” the lawsuit, obtained by Fox News, states.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devin Nunes was in Benghazi at the time CNN said he was in Vienna and he has the pictures to prove it. Nunes is a public figure so maybe they will get away with it but they cannot do it with malice. So we shall see how this plays out.

Just because Nunes filed a lawsuit, doesn’t mean CNN reported incorrectly. Nunes files lots of lawsuits against the media. It’s sort of a thing with him:

Nunes disputes claim that he met with former Ukiranian prosecutor to get dirt on Bidens - CNNPolitics

The truth remains to be seen. A witness says he was there:

the lawyer of an indicted associate of Rudy Giuliani regarding an alleged trip he made last year.

"...Joseph Bondy, said his client, Lev Parnas was told by a former Ukrainian prosecutor about a meeting with Nunes in Vienna last year to discuss efforts to dig up dirt on former Vice President Joe Biden."

I believe the bolded to be accurate.

Not only will Nunes have to prove "actual malice" (NYT v Sullivan), but NYT vs United States would also seem to protect CNN's 1st A rights.

I don't see any way Nune's suit prevails. It's a stunt.

I agree. Nunes is quite the showman...

If you are going to claim slander/libel you better be ready to prove it (although Dear Leader wants to 'open up' those libel laws so he can more easily sue anyone who says a bad word about him). Nunes has yet to show evidence of what he was doing in Europe.

Nunes is a public figure, which makes it tougher to prove, in this case libel. The "harm" element is sometimes very difficult.

Back
Top Bottom