• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Devin Nunes sues CNN for $435M over ‘false and defamatory’ Ukraine story

SLC

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Devin Nunes sues CNN for $435M over ‘false and defamatory’ Ukraine story | Fox News

Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., sued CNN for defamation on Tuesday, accusing the cable network of publishing a “demonstrably false hit piece” about him amid his high-profile opposition to the Trump impeachment inquiry.

The 47-page lawsuit, filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, accuses the liberal network of publishing “numerous egregiously false and defamatory” statements about Nunes on Nov. 22, 2019 when journalist Vicky Ward reported claims that Nunes met with Ukranian prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, in Vienna in 2018 to dig "up dirt" on Hunter and Joe Biden.

Nunes, who has been leading GOP opposition to the House Democratic impeachment inquiry in the House Intelligence Committee, says he “did not go to Vienna or anywhere else in Austria in 2018” and “has never met” Shokin.

“CNN is the mother of fake news. It is the least trusted name. CNN is eroding the fabric of America, proselytizing, sowing distrust and disharmony. It must be held accountable,” the lawsuit, obtained by Fox News, states.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devin Nunes was in Benghazi at the time CNN said he was in Vienna and he has the pictures to prove it. Nunes is a public figure so maybe they will get away with it but they cannot do it with malice. So we shall see how this plays out.

Devin Nunes sues CNN for $435M over ‘false and defamatory’ Ukraine story | Fox News

Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif., sued CNN for defamation on Tuesday, accusing the cable network of publishing a “demonstrably false hit piece” about him amid his high-profile opposition to the Trump impeachment inquiry.

The 47-page lawsuit, filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, accuses the liberal network of publishing “numerous egregiously false and defamatory” statements about Nunes on Nov. 22, 2019 when journalist Vicky Ward reported claims that Nunes met with Ukranian prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, in Vienna in 2018 to dig "up dirt" on Hunter and Joe Biden.

Nunes, who has been leading GOP opposition to the House Democratic impeachment inquiry in the House Intelligence Committee, says he “did not go to Vienna or anywhere else in Austria in 2018” and “has never met” Shokin.

“CNN is the mother of fake news. It is the least trusted name. CNN is eroding the fabric of America, proselytizing, sowing distrust and disharmony. It must be held accountable,” the lawsuit, obtained by Fox News, states.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devin Nunes was in Benghazi at the time CNN said he was in Vienna and he has the pictures to prove it. Nunes is a public figure so maybe they will get away with it but they cannot do it with malice. So we shall see how this plays out.
I believe the bolded to be accurate.

Not only will Nunes have to prove "actual malice" (NYT v Sullivan), but NYT vs United States would also seem to protect CNN's 1st A rights.

I don't see any way Nune's suit prevails. It's a stunt.

Not only will Nunes have to prove "actual malice" (NYT v Sullivan), but NYT vs United States would also seem to protect CNN's 1st A rights.

Hi! I suspect there's an amusing sidebar to this story. I would like to have been the proverbial fly on the wall when those discussing the claim for damages settled on the figure of $M435.

Regards.

I really, really hope right wingers get behind the precedent of eight-figure lawsuits for a news agency broadcasting something "demonstrably false."

Perhaps but CNN has been pretty aggressive to Nunes and didn't do due diligence in checking on Nune's actual schedule. So we shall see how this goes for them. A civil jury may not be very sympathetic to CNN.

Looks like Nunes needs a safe space. Again.

Looks like CNN is guilty of fake news AGAIN :lol:

I don't think the history of cult members suing real world institutions is particularly good. Eventually facts get in the way of fantasy as Nunes will soon find.

In the interim, I believe many of us want to understand just how deep into the fire of this Ukraine scandal Nunes has been. The fact that he did nor recuse himself from last month's proceedings will not bode well for him, except that he seems to represent a district of idiot voters.
s

Looks like CNN is guilty of fake news AGAIN :lol:

I see you are counting your chickens before they hatch. Again.

Interesting how those who complain about frivolous lawsuits the most support some of the most sue-happy public figures.

Why won’t Nunes disclose what he did in Europe? He went on our dime. We have a right to know.

This is just a publicity stunt.

Something for the right wing media to rant and rave about.

Nunes is a public figure, and an elected official.

But filing nuisance suits like this for publicity is a right wing media trick that goes back a ways.

Jay Sekulow made his living doing this for various evangelical groups.

The suits never go anywhere.

They are filed for the headlines and quietly forgotten thereafter.

SLC, where did you run off to so quickly...care to explain what Nunes was doing in Europe? It seems he was, in fact, in Europe at the time he supposedly met with Parnas and the prosecutor. Why precisely would he need to meet with the Ukrainian prosecutor?

It looks like CNN said Bondy said that Parnas said that a Ukrainian official said that he met w/ Nunes.

"Mr. Parnas learned from former Ukrainian Prosecutor General Victor Shokin that Nunes had met with Shokin in Vienna last December," said Bondy.​

This is a piece of Bondy's defense for Parnas.
So it's legitimately related to the story and the public interest.
I'm thinking this is just another bull**** lawsuit.

Did Nunes win against his cow?

Perhaps but CNN has been pretty aggressive to Nunes and didn't do due diligence in checking on Nune's actual schedule. So we shall see how this goes for them. A civil jury may not be very sympathetic to CNN.

Nunes’ patently dishonest lickspittle behavior merits it.

Now that it is clear that he betrayed his colleagues by trying to conceal the fact that he was a co conspirator in Trump’s scheme, there’s no reason anyone should shed a tear.

Nunes should have recused himself from the hearings.

He should be subpoenaed and forced to testify before his colleagues.

Nunes’ patently dishonest lickspittle behavior merits it.

Now that it is clear that he betrayed his colleagues by trying to conceal the fact that he was a co conspirator in Trump’s scheme, there’s no reason anyone should shed a tear.

Nunes should have recused himself from the hearings.

He should be subpoenaed and forced to testify before his colleagues.
So the ends justify the means to you.

It looks like CNN said Bondy said that Parnas said that a Ukrainian official said that he met w/ Nunes.

"Mr. Parnas learned from former Ukrainian Prosecutor General Victor Shokin that Nunes had met with Shokin in Vienna last December," said Bondy.​

This is a piece of Bondy's defense for Parnas.
So it's legitimately related to the story and the public interest.
I'm thinking this is just another bull**** lawsuit.

Did Nunes win against his cow?
Oh yeah that seems lie a legit source. :roll:

SLC, where did you run off to so quickly...care to explain what Nunes was doing in Europe? It seems he was, in fact, in Europe at the time he supposedly met with Parnas and the prosecutor. Why precisely would he need to meet with the Ukrainian prosecutor?
Sorry but I have a life outside from DP. I was caring for my grand child. Nunes was in Benghazi when CNN said he was in Vienna and he has proof of he whereabouts. Nunes wasn't even on the same continent.

Yeah....nothing.

Then why do government documents say that he was in Europe from the end of November until early December? Why are we paying for him to go to Europe and for his lodgings if he is not doing anything?

Then why do government documents say that he was in Europe from the end of November until early December? Why are we paying for him to go to Europe and for his lodgings if he is not doing anything?
Link?

Back
Top Bottom