• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrat Senator Schumer objects to paying the Coast Guard

jdog21

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
In the Senate a bill was put forth to pay the Coast Guard so they don't miss their paychecks, nothing in there was about a border wall, it was a clean bill to pay the coast guard, its could have been signed today by president Trump but Senator Chuck Schumer objected to the bill. So the democrats want to keep people from getting their paychecks now, what happened to wanting these people paid? Now watch all the leftys try and say its Trumps fault.
https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/1088513972888846336
https://twitter.com/SenTedCruz/status/1088511483422609413

In the Senate a bill was put forth to pay the Coast Guard so they don't miss their paychecks, nothing in there was about a border wall, it was a clean bill to pay the coast guard, its could have been signed today by president Trump but Senator Chuck Schumer objected to the bill. So the democrats want to keep people from getting their paychecks now, what happened to wanting these people paid? Now watch all the leftys try and say its Trumps fault.

Why are coast guard members the only ones that deserve to get paid?

Seriously, no one except for people that already agree with you buy in to this BS. The government is shutdown because the president won't agree to a funding bill that was passed unanimously through the senate.

End of story.

Needs Ann Coulter’s approval...........then it will be all unicorns and rainbows!

I can imagine Schumer holding out for all or nothing, which I honestly don't think he has to be so stubborn about. But was it a bill to pay the coast guard and only pay the coast guard or was there some rider attached he would disagree with? For example the GOP tends to introduce bills like, 'Let's pay the coast guard and ban transgender kids from public swimming pools' or some other pet project. This is often done to trap the other party into voting against it so they can then say, 'Look, he won't pay the coast guard!'

But really it all comes back to December when Trump promised to shut down the government if he didn't get what he wanted. They had a bill then, that's where it all starts. Anyone not getting paid is ultimately on him.

Seriously, no one except for people that already agree with you buy in to this BS. The government is shutdown because the president won't agree to a funding bill that was passed unanimously through the senate.

End of story.

Why do the coast guard deserve to not be funded just because some others arnt funded is your answer?

Why do the coast guard deserve to not be funded just because some others arnt funded is your answer?

You refused to answer the question because there is no good answer. That's very telling. You can't just admit reality. You need to try to twist it. It's desperation. Sad really.

Oh, so now they want to "cherry pick" the units of the government they fund...Seriously?

The Coast Guard, like CBP, is part of DHS.

I can imagine Schumer holding out for all or nothing, which I honestly don't think he has to be so stubborn about. But was it a bill to pay the coast guard and only pay the coast guard or was there some rider attached he would disagree with? For example the GOP tends to introduce bills like, 'Let's pay the coast guard and ban transgender kids from public swimming pools' or some other pet project. This is often done to trap the other party into voting against it so they can then say, 'Look, he won't pay the coast guard!'

But really it all comes back to December when Trump promised to shut down the government if he didn't get what he wanted. They had a bill then, that's where it all starts. Anyone not getting paid is ultimately on him.
Nope no riders just a clean bill to pay the members of the coast guard.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/426824-schumer-blocks-bill-to-pay-coast-guard

You refused to answer the question because there is no good answer. That's very telling. You can't just admit reality. You need to try to twist it. It's desperation. Sad really.

Your question sounded rhetorical, why do the coast guard deserve to get paid? seriously? Because they are a branch of our military, because they provide our country with a great service. Or do you feel like they DON'T deserve to get paid.

It would be a start.
All government workers impacted by the "shutdown" deserve to be paid.

Got to ask, would you be willing to work as a Coast Guard member without getting paid? I will settle if you would be willing to work at your current job without pay until management agrees on whatever.

Schumer is as bad as Mitch McConnell . Both need to be voted out.

Your question sounded rhetorical, why do the coast guard deserve to get paid? seriously? Because they are a branch of our military, because they provide our country with a great service. Or do you feel like they DON'T deserve to get paid.

That's not what I asked. Wow. Even more telling. When called out for being unable to answer you then pretend that I asked something completely different.

If you feel that you need to lie in order to win an argument you should step back and reevaluate. Seriously.

That's not what I asked. Wow. Even more telling. When called out for being unable to answer you then pretend that I asked something completely different.

If you feel that you need to lie in order to win an argument you should step back and reevaluate. Seriously.
Learn to rephrase your question instead of subjecting people to your ad hominem attacks

I DO think the Coast Guard is different and I would support funding them separately. Why? Because unlike rest of the federal employees, members of the Coast Guard are military, subject to the UCMJ, and therefore do not have the same freedoms as civilian employees. If a Coastie gets fed up and quits without permission that is called “desertion” and he or she can be court martialed and imprisoned. Technically they could be executed, but that doesn’t happen anymore.

I would argue that people who are forbidden by law from quitting should receive a bit more consideration.

Learn to rephrase your question instead of subjecting people to your ad hominem attacks

You don't know what an Ad Hominem fallacy is if you think I made one.

"a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument"

I'm not diverting from the topic at hand. I asked a poignant question and you avoided it and I pointed it out in an attempt to get you to actually address it. But kudos for moving from misdirection to the victim card. What diversionary attempt will you employ next?

Nope no riders just a clean bill to pay the members of the coast guard.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/426824-schumer-blocks-bill-to-pay-coast-guard

Well it might have been a nice gesture but I guess they're holding out for Trump to cave. Trumpies can chalk that up as a small 'win' in the blame game but it is almost impossible to claw back the moral high ground when it was the president who first vetoed a bill last month and vowed to 'proudly' shut down the government till he gets what he wants. This little procedural footnote will be forgotten (it has already passed practically unnoticed); the history books will always have the tape of Trump stubbornly proclaiming he'd 'take that mantle'.

Well it might have been a nice gesture but I guess they're holding out for Trump to cave. Trumpies can chalk that up as a small 'win' in the blame game but it is almost impossible to claw back the moral high ground when it was the president who first vetoed a bill last month and vowed to 'proudly' shut down the government till he gets what he wants. This little procedural footnote will be forgotten (it has already passed practically unnoticed); the history books will always have the tape of Trump stubbornly proclaiming he'd 'take that mantle'.

A veto never took place. The house and the senate never agreed to a budget bill to send to Trump.

The moral high ground has been lost on most people because they only get their news from the mainstream media becoming puppets to spew their rhetoric instead of understanding who is doing what and when.

A veto never took place. The house and the senate never agreed to a budget bill to send to Trump.

The moral high ground has been lost on most people because they only get their news from the mainstream media becoming puppets to spew their rhetoric instead of understanding who is doing what and when.

It gets tiresome hearing this falsehood

Congress passed a resolution and the president refused to sign just as he said he would. It's on the govt webpage for chrissakes.

"On December 19, the Senate passed a second continuing resolution (H.R. 695) that would fund the government until February 8, 2019. Pelosi announced that House Democrats would support the measure, meaning it would overcome opposition from conservative Republicans and pass the House.[26] On December 20, following increased criticism from conservative media, pundits, and political figures,[27][28] Trump reversed his position and declared that he would not sign any funding bill that did not include border wall funding. "

The nation agreed, the president refused. It's on him.

It gets tiresome hearing this falsehood

Congress passed a resolution and the president refused to sign just as he said he would. It's on the govt webpage for chrissakes.

"On December 19, the Senate passed a second continuing resolution (H.R. 695) that would fund the government until February 8, 2019. Pelosi announced that House Democrats would support the measure, meaning it would overcome opposition from conservative Republicans and pass the House.[26] On December 20, following increased criticism from conservative media, pundits, and political figures,[27][28] Trump reversed his position and declared that he would not sign any funding bill that did not include border wall funding. "

The nation agreed, the president refused. It's on him.

Look how their is no veto in which you posted.

End of story.
So it's all or nothing for the Democrats. Dont complaian about getting nothing then. You made your choice, live with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fair point, he refused to sign which is more or less the same thing. It gets us to the same place. No point haggling over terminology: they offered him a bill which they agreed on and he said no, like he promised. It's on him.

If they would have offered him a bill without funding for fencing on the border maybe he would have signed it maybe he would have vetoed it, we don't know. We know he signed things that he publically was saying he would veto before. Problem has always been the congress never wants to do their job and have a debate put things in writing. You cant blame Trump for wanting congress to put funding for his wall in there. Once they did the democrats decided to let the budget lapse and refuse to sign it cause it had funding for a wall. So here we sit, and the democrats wont even provide money for the coast guard.

If they would have offered him a bill without funding for fencing on the border maybe he would have signed it maybe he would have vetoed it, we don't know. We know he signed things that he publically was saying he would veto before. Problem has always been the congress never wants to do their job and have a debate put things in writing. You cant blame Trump for wanting congress to put funding for his wall in there. Once they did the democrats decided to let the budget lapse and refuse to sign it cause it had funding for a wall. So here we sit, and the democrats wont even provide money for the coast guard.

Well to that, McConnell seems to be the Trump whisperer. He knows what the president wants so doesn't put anything before him even if congress passes it (HR 695 again). That's really not the way it's supposed to work, with senate majority leader playing ****-blocker for the president, but there you go.

Well to that, McConnell seems to be the Trump whisperer. He knows what the president wants so doesn't put anything before him even if congress passes it (HR 695 again). That's really not the way it's supposed to work, with senate majority leader playing ****-blocker for the president, but there you go.

Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell, & Trump need to come to an agreement behind closed doors and come up with a bill and get it done. But I don't see Schumer and Pelosi willing to make any such deals. Its a shame for our country.

FACT: The US Coast Guard is not being paid 100% singularly because of Democrats in Congress. There now is exactly NO other reason.

Back
Top Bottom