• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Debate Me: I’m Starting To Think What FB and Twitter Is Doing Is Wrong :(

Four more years of the slippery slope fallacy, like the one above? Only if you continue to resort to the fallacy for four more years.

The democrats now have all three branches of government, the MSM, Big Tech, FBI, CIA, etc.....this is no longer America. Welcome to a new world.

Of course what they are doing is wrong and it's not just because of what they are doing to Trump. They are engaged in a systematic program to eliminate ALL conservative opinion, while turning a blind eye to left wing/Trump hate opinion that violates the same rules they claim the conservatives are violating.

And Trump has been right all along in that the only reason they can do this and get away with it is because of Sec. 230.
As has been stated over and over again, the reason these online platforms can set rules on what is acceptable or not is simply because they are private companies and can set any rules they want. You know free enterprise, the thing conservatives supposedly champion.

As for Section 230, neither you nor Trump have much understanding of that or you would not be arguing it now.
The regulation merely states that online platforms cannot be held liable for the postings of private citizens on their site.
Now, think this thru: imagine that reg was eliminated, and these platforms could be held liable for postings of their "customers", who would be the first people the companies would HAVE to ban in order to protect themselves? I would say national figures who have huge followings and use their dominion over their fans to spread absolute lies, incite unrest and/or encourage violence. Meaning Trump would be probably the FIRST person banned.

But Trump is too stupid to figure that out. He only wanted Section 230 eliminated so he could pursue litigation agains platforms that published comments from people that hurt his oh-so fragile ego. Again another example of Trump lashing out due to childish emotions before thinking the issue through.

No, really. Melt down or no, he is the sitting potus. Either he’s been 25th’d or he has not. Shold those platforms be keeping the sitting potus from speaking to the public, pro or con?

I hate him, but I don’t think this is right. Please, tell me I’m wrong? Someone smarter than me? Please? :(
At last an intelligent, thoughtful question posed. It this America, do we have free speech or not? Censorship is a extreme act of a repressive government. Who is advocating censorship, the left.
Let me clue you in. Not every Trump voter, Trump supporter always likes everything from Trump. What we like less is the policy positions of the left. We don't like being called racist for no other reason than our skin color or the vote we cast that someone on the other side doesn't like.

As has been stated over and over again, the reason these online platforms can set rules on what is acceptable or not is simply because they are private companies and can set any rules they want. You know free enterprise, the thing conservatives supposedly champion.

As for Section 230, neither you nor Trump have much understanding of that or you would not be arguing it now.
The regulation merely states that online platforms cannot be held liable for the postings of private citizens on their site.
Now, think this thru: imagine that reg was eliminated, and these platforms could be held liable for postings of their "customers", who would be the first people the companies would HAVE to ban in order to protect themselves? I would say national figures who have huge followings and use their dominion over their fans to spread absolute lies, incite unrest and/or encourage violence. Meaning Trump would be probably the FIRST person banned.

But Trump is too stupid to figure that out. He only wanted Section 230 eliminated so he could pursue litigation agains platforms that published comments from people that hurt his oh-so fragile ego. Again another example of Trump lashing out due to childish emotions before thinking the issue through.
230 is a protection of the social media industry. The social media industry it censoring free speech. It's purely political and how you have to do is see who and what is censored adn what is left alone. Plus it's a economic protection for the social media industry. They are just protecting their billions of dollars.

Twitter has the right to establish their own posting policy. Just like this forum does.

Trump's heading out to greener pastures. He'll be back online soon. These are the tweets taken off @POTUS when he tried:

1610166116177.png

The democrats now have all three branches of government, the MSM, Big Tech, FBI, CIA, etc.....this is no longer America. Welcome to a new world.
:rolleyes:

Republicans spent the past 4 years packing the courts; and doing everything they could for the 8 years before that to stop Democrats from appointing judges. That includes hypocritically refusing to even consider Obama's choice for a SCOTUS judge 8 months before an election, while slamming a Trump appointee through the Senate less than 2 months before an election.

Many of those Trump-appointed judges recognized that his claims about the election were completely bogus. That's what happens when judges value facts and the Constitution more than loyalty to an authoritarian thug.

Republicans are still leveraging the deeply undemocratic Electoral College. In every other democratic nation in the world, winning the popular vote by 7 million would be an unquestioned victory.

When Democrats won the governorship in North Carolina and Wisconsin, Republican-majority legislatures deliberately voted to dramatically reduce and undermine the governorships.

Big Tech let Trump violate its rules, day after day, year after year, until he finally incited his "very special" thugs to attack Congress.

Trump, hilariously, wants to undermine Big Tech by removing Section 230 -- without realizing that changing the law that way would require more moderation and more terminations of right-wing accounts that violate the rules.

Oddly enough, America has had Democrats holding the Presidency and a majority in Congress before. The nation did not wind up collapsing in a flaming heap. Instead, millions of Americans got... a roaring economy and shrinking deficit (Clinton), health care (Obama) and recovery from recessions that started under Republican presidencies (both Clinton and Obama). :unsure:

America should be a nation whose citizens understand that on occasion, the candidates they vote for lose elections. If anything has changed, it is that Republicans no longer accept the legitimacy of any election that they don't win. Maybe it's time y'all go back to that long-lost era when you could stomach losing an election, and not being in power for a few years.

At last an intelligent, thoughtful question posed. It this America, do we have free speech or not? Censorship is a extreme act of a repressive government. Who is advocating censorship, the left.
Let me clue you in. Not every Trump voter, Trump supporter always likes everything from Trump. What we like less is the policy positions of the left. We don't like being called racist for no other reason than our skin color or the vote we cast that someone on the other side doesn't like.

Well, this moving post would have been better if the phrase, “Censorship is a extreme act of a repressive government,” wasn’t so inapplicable. You did pay attention to the carefully chosen wording of the OP and notice Twitter/FB did the censoring?

Not every Trump voter, Trump supporter always likes everything from Trump

I want to address this, although off topic, because it’s a porous rationalization for supporting Trump. A ballot for a politician is a ballot for the politician to do everything they promised, including what you or anyone else may specifically disagree with.

Oh nice reality is still made up in your life.

You could always move to Russia where Trump is beloved.

No, really. Melt down or no, he is the sitting potus. Either he’s been 25th’d or he has not. Shold those platforms be keeping the sitting potus from speaking to the public, pro or con?

I hate him, but I don’t think this is right. Please, tell me I’m wrong? Someone smarter than me? Please? :(
I think he’s not in charge anymore.

Trump's heading out to greener pastures. He'll be back online soon. These are the tweets taken off @POTUS when he tried:

View attachment 67312508
This episode is pretty good, but even for THIS series, this finale is a little over the top.

To protect the gullible this should have been done before 2016

He has the bully pulpit and he can speak to the American people anytime he wants and all the media will over it. He doesn’t need Twitter.

This is what we have to look forward to the next four years....silence all opposition.....freedom is only a dream....worship your government leaders. God help us.
You are gonna feel so much better in a few months. Because you are so completely wrong.

We're not gonna eat you, hell, a bunch of us won't eat a fish.

We are not the monsters your media has dozen to convince you that we are. We just aren't. But we can't convince you because those same people convinced you that any information that doesn't come from them is a lie.

Which means that they can lie to you as much as they want. Literally. And you will believe it. Because the only sources you still believe all agree.

You don't ever seem to question why they all agree at the same time in the same way though. Or even go "huh?" when they tell you the opposite thing just days later.

You know what the very best, tried and true, best cure for the negative emotions associated with realizing you have been fooled?

Taking it all out on the people who have been looking you in the eye and lying to you in ways they know you won't see, but will get you to believe.

Teaching you to hate your fellow Americans.

Good question. I had the same thought, but the bottom line is he really brought it on himself.

I think you are correct to be concerned insofar as President Trump holds the highest and most powerful office of the United States, Aunt Antifa. His Twitter account has been invaluable in providing a window into his thought processes, as he makes no attempt to hide what he thinks (whether it maps to demonstrable reality or not). If one wants unparraelled governmental transparency provided through access to the literal stream of consciousness of the chief executive, his Twitter provides it.

But this must be weighed against the fact that if Donald Trump is not someone who suffers from some specie of genuine antisocial personality disorder, he is the next worst thing. He possesses no conscientiousness or sense of responsibility for the things he says given the weight of his office. Even if he did not intend to incite violence (which requires a level of generosity exceeding that of Jesus Christ) he is stirring up violence against our Federal Republic by constantly attacking the legitimacy of the election and snubbing the peaceful transition of power. This could have only resulted in widespread violence.

Now does de-platforming him somehow stop him from communicating to the people at all? No. Will it suddenly make his followers stop believing that the election was stolen? No. But removing the instantaneous and ubiquity of communication provided by platforms like Twitter, Facebook and YouTube helps slow the danger of pouring too much fuel on the fire too quickly as it were. This has crossed from the realm of spirited and even angry philosophical disagreement into that of demonstrably endangering the public safety. I think this is the line that a private company should take action, no matter who the figure is and no matter how high their office.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Republicans spent the past 4 years packing the courts; and doing everything they could for the 8 years before that to stop Democrats from appointing judges. That includes hypocritically refusing to even consider Obama's choice for a SCOTUS judge 8 months before an election, while slamming a Trump appointee through the Senate less than 2 months before an election.

Many of those Trump-appointed judges recognized that his claims about the election were completely bogus. That's what happens when judges value facts and the Constitution more than loyalty to an authoritarian thug.

Republicans are still leveraging the deeply undemocratic Electoral College. In every other democratic nation in the world, winning the popular vote by 7 million would be an unquestioned victory.

When Democrats won the governorship in North Carolina and Wisconsin, Republican-majority legislatures deliberately voted to dramatically reduce and undermine the governorships.

Big Tech let Trump violate its rules, day after day, year after year, until he finally incited his "very special" thugs to attack Congress.

Trump, hilariously, wants to undermine Big Tech by removing Section 230 -- without realizing that changing the law that way would require more moderation and more terminations of right-wing accounts that violate the rules.

Oddly enough, America has had Democrats holding the Presidency and a majority in Congress before. The nation did not wind up collapsing in a flaming heap. Instead, millions of Americans got... a roaring economy and shrinking deficit (Clinton), health care (Obama) and recovery from recessions that started under Republican presidencies (both Clinton and Obama). :unsure:

America should be a nation whose citizens understand that on occasion, the candidates they vote for lose elections. If anything has changed, it is that Republicans no longer accept the legitimacy of any election that they don't win. Maybe it's time y'all go back to that long-lost era when you could stomach losing an election, and not being in power for a few years.

Lol, coming from the leftist who never did accept the loss of Queen Hillary.....now that's funny, the hypocrisy has no bounds. The left has undermined President Trump since before being sworn into office, unleashing the FBI to illegally obtain FISA warrants on American citizens who happen to work for Trump, all from lies bought and paid for by the Hillary Clinton campaign and the DNC. The last four years has been full of drama queens from the left, hoping to have the latest and greatest false narrative of the week.....not to mention the fact they used the rioters and looters this past summer as a political ploy, as they politicized a pandemic to change election rules and laws in swing states, without going through the state legislatures. Republicans have no problem in losing a fair election, but this past Presidential election has been anything but fair....not even counting the hundreds of fraudulent ballots, the fact of extreme bias from the MSM, the censorship of Facebook and Twitter, massive mail in ballots using ballot harvesters.....the simple fact they got swing states to change election rules and laws bypassing the state legislatures borders on criminal and treason, imo.

It had to be done. The guy has repeatedly and severely broken Twitter's TOS. The straw that broke the camel's back was inciting a rebellion against the US government. It had to be done.

I can't say you're wrong. The whole situation is a mess with no easy clean answers. There has always been an uneasy relationship between the presidency and its reliance on private outlets to communicate with the public, we saw this when Bush asked the networks to air a live speech by him that was partisan and widely seen as undeserving of doing so.

On one side is when the president abuses the outlets, and the other is when the private outlets wrongly attack the president by refusing them a platform. The issue is bigger than politicians, involving how much censoring role the companies should play on any content.

You could always move to Russia where Trump is beloved.

Nah, I will not make a fool of myself, and say if Biden wins, I'll move to another country......ROFL......how many of these idiots said this bs and never moved......what a joke.

You are gonna feel so much better in a few months. Because you are so completely wrong.

We're not gonna eat you, hell, a bunch of us won't eat a fish.

We are not the monsters your media has dozen to convince you that we are. We just aren't. But we can't convince you because those same people convinced you that any information that doesn't come from them is a lie.

Which means that they can lie to you as much as they want. Literally. And you will believe it. Because the only sources you still believe all agree.

You don't ever seem to question why they all agree at the same time in the same way though. Or even go "huh?" when they tell you the opposite thing just days later.

You know what the very best, tried and true, best cure for the negative emotions associated with realizing you have been fooled?

Taking it all out on the people who have been looking you in the eye and lying to you in ways they know you won't see, but will get you to believe.

Teaching you to hate your fellow Americans.

The exact same thing to the left times ten, because MSM has you all totally hoodwinked.....for they are a tool of the leftist democrats. Watch what your leaders will do in the next couple of years, for they know their time is short, then get back to me.

He can speak to the public. He just cant use their platforms.

Works for me.

Respect! ^

Back
Top Bottom