• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Debate Me: I’m Starting To Think What FB and Twitter Is Doing Is Wrong :(

Aunt Antifa

Vaccinated-American
Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
No, really. Melt down or no, he is the sitting potus. Either he’s been 25th’d or he has not. Shold those platforms be keeping the sitting potus from speaking to the public, pro or con?

I hate him, but I don’t think this is right. Please, tell me I’m wrong? Someone smarter than me? Please? :(

Trump is already out of power.

No, really. Melt down or no, he is the sitting potus. Either he’s been 25th’d or he has not. Shold those platforms be keeping the sitting potus from speaking to the public, pro or con?

I hate him, but I don’t think this is right. Please, tell me I’m wrong? Someone smarter than me? Please? :(

Social media is a very recent development for presidents... He is no more entitled to use their platforms than anyone else.. Regarless, twitter and FB are for old people, TikTok and Instagram are the new hot social media platforms...

Any regular citizen would've had their account banned long ago. While I agree there are certainly things to be concerned about when it comes to Big Tech, seeing people get their accounts banned for inciting violence is nowhere close to the top of that list.

Any regular citizen would've had their account banned long ago. While I agree there are certainly things to be concerned about when it comes to Big Tech, seeing people get their accounts banned for inciting violence is nowhere close to the top of that list.

context. He’s the president of the united states This is literally news.

I'm not entirely sure what you take issue with. Facebook and Twitter are not public properties where everyone is entitled to equal access. They are private enterprises with the ability to do business in the same way any other company does. Under no circumstance do they have any obligation to provide a deranged narcissist a platform to speak just because that person is a president.

He is preparing for Civil War and these platforms do not in the worst way want to be found liable.
Can't say I blame them.
If you owned 1934 Twitter, and you had the power, would you ban Adolf's account?

They're private companies. When you create an account you agree to their Terms of Use.

If the president is using their private platform to incite violence they have every right to ban him. Just as any TV station has a right not to broadcast his speeches.

They have rules. If someone breaks the rules, they have a choice to make.

You're wrong.

During the rampage at the capitol building, he was calling senators asking them to overturn the election. Banning him is like banning a mob boss. He's violated terms of service for years.
If they had banned him earlier yesterday might not have happened. They are liable, they have no choice after the capital attack.

Feeling sorry for the fascist? I feel empathy for him because he's human. But his behaviors are deplorable.

He is preparing for Civil War and these platforms do not in the worst way want to be found liable.
Can't say I blame them.
If you owned 1934 Twitter, and you had the power, would you ban Adolf's account?
Wow but thats stupid. I dont expect much from you, but damn

So your opinion is that this should not happen because he is still currently the president?

@potus is still available to him

And the WH account. Twitter hasn't completely hamstringed the WH's ability to communicate via their platform.

Can't say I blame them.

Sigh. I don’t know.

Would any other media allow a president to incite people to insurrection in their particular media, really? Could you see a news papaer allowing the president to write an op ed saying go out in the streets and riot so I can still be president?there is a limit to free speech that even the SCOTUS has agreed to and that is you can not ell fire in a crowded theater and that is what trump continues to use these medias for. I had not thought of it, but by saying he is not going to be at the inauguration, he could be telling them it is safe to riot as I will not be there and can not get hurt.

So your opinion is that this should not happen because he is still currently the president?

@potus is still available to him

No, they took it down when he used it. Maybe the problem is the tech companies‘ understanding of his stability outstrips our government’s ability to admit.

If his words can incite violence (and we've already seen this) from followers, then a cool off period for at least his final days, seems warranted. There was another guy they cutoff for creating rumors about Trump going to a nuclear hideaway.
Enabling of this whole movement to promote violence to purportedly steal back an election needs to be stopped in its tracks before it can get any worse. Beyond that, I'm sure there are numerous far right sources that will jump to give him an exclusive platform over the next four years. I really don't see him being silenced for long.

In other news, Scotland said, 'he's not coming here.'

Last edited:

As PotUS, he has a damn press office !

Why does Trump need Twitter to talk to the public? What happened to press conferences?

If any person uses a social media platform to organize a staged coup to destroy an entire legislative branch, I'm pretty indifferent to whether or not they get banned. But I hear you. Twitter isn't news. Or at least it shouldn't be. The sooner it isn't, the better off we are.

Maybe this is the free market working in conjunction with democracy to make a judgement within the boundaries of law and public trust.

No, they took it down when he used it. Maybe the problem is the tech companies‘ understanding of his stability outstrips our government’s ability to admit.
I am not sure what you mean. can you rephrase?

Auntie, I think it's the "shouting fire in a crowded movie house" justification. Donald Trump incited an insurrection where people were injured and killed, federal property was damaged and the security of the US Capitol was breached.

Twitter is a private company and is not subject to freedom of speech laws anyway.

I applaud the move.

Back
Top Bottom