• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

David Letterman bashes Bill O'Reilly

galenrox said:
What, like the war on christmas? Or how about plugging all of the new merchandise at billoreilly.com, he seems to think that's a worthwhile cause too!
Al Franken is a huge douchebag. Listening to him talk is like nails on a chalkboard, even when I agree with him, he manages to articulate things in a way to guarantee it sounds stupid.

To be fair the profits that Oreilly makes off of the merchandise goes to charity so how's that foot taste?

cnredd said:
I have some important questions, which wraps this up into a larger picture...

Why have someone on your show that you don't like and are going to vilify?...

I could understand if this was a political forum where you come to speak your peice knowing you'll get stuff thrown back your way, but this wasn't the time nor place...It's a talk show...Why throw lighthearted questions and puff-pieces to the multiple celebrities with criminal records but then chastise someone else to cause controversy?...If Letterman has done that with the Liberal side, it would both even things out AND make it doubly wrong...

I wondered that myself. I just saw some of it on Fox News. I thought it was distasteful of Letterman to do that even though I was never really fond of O'Reilly. I think he invited him on the show to simply bash him which is inappropriate. On a different note, O'Reilly got a little taste of his own medicine.

You can get the full uneditied version on billoreilly.com.

The Real McCoy said:
Riiiiight. All those parents who buy his book for their kids do it because they hate him and they want their kids reading something written by a prick. :roll:

I wasn't aware that so many parents were buying his book for their kids. :roll: Where did you get that information?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
NYT's best seller list.
hahahahahahaha......nyt bestsellers list.....hahahahahahahaha
you're so funny, trajan

Fox Tv is more viwer sensitive than most TV stations and it shows in its rateings.
David Letterman embarassed himself with Bill O'Reilly. He didn't believe there was a war on Christmas,because.He didn't see it in the NY Times. He thought 60% of what O'Reilly said on his show wasn't true,but.He never saw the show.
He just showed he was a knee jerk liberal.

galenrox said:
What, so that justifies blatant self-promotion.
If I had a TV show, and spent several minutes every episode plugging random **** with my name plastered all over it, but then gave the profits (I'm assuming after a slight "administrative" expense) to charity, would that make me not a jackass? No, plastering your name over books, outerwear, sweatshirts, tote bags, shirts, license plate frames, bumper stickers, keychains, mugs, doormats, umbrellas, tins filled with soft mint puffs, pen and gift boxes, sticky cubes (whatever the **** that is), pen and pad bundles, etc. makes you a ****ing self absorbed jackass.

So if that's your best attempt at proving a foot in mouth, I must suggest you don't try to get into a contest with cnredd yet.

All of these things say "Factor" "No Spin" not a one has his name on it, get it right sir.;)

Bottom line is, merchandise or not, the man is cras, self absorbed, tasteless, needlessly confrontational, and journalistically irresponsible. The only good thing he does is inspire me to look closer at issues he talks about just so I can see the blatant spin he puts on everything. He is a partisan mouth and nothing more.

galenrox said:
lol, oh, I guess THAT makes it ok!:rofl

Well I didn't cancel my Tribune subscription because they sold hats and jackets down in the lobby, but to each his own I guess.;)

jallman said:
Bottom line is, merchandise or not, the man is cras, self absorbed, tasteless, needlessly confrontational, and journalistically irresponsible. The only good thing he does is inspire me to look closer at issues he talks about just so I can see the blatant spin he puts on everything. He is a partisan mouth and nothing more.

Hear hear! O'Reilly is a demagogue and an ideologue if there ever was one. Give us someone unbiased, damnit - or at least not a blatant mouthpiece for either party.

JOHNYJ said:
Fox Tv is more viwer sensitive than most TV stations and it shows in its rateings.
David Letterman embarassed himself with Bill O'Reilly. He didn't believe there was a war on Christmas,because.He didn't see it in the NY Times. He thought 60% of what O'Reilly said on his show wasn't true,but.He never saw the show.
He just showed he was a knee jerk liberal.

There is a difference between not watching a show, and never having watched a show.

I don't watch Bill O'Rielly, if I wanted to see clowns, I would go to the circus. That is not to say I have never watched the show, I have watched it, and from time to time, on rare occassion, will watch it briefly.

Now, i have NEVER listened to Al Franken's show, and I don't watch it.

"Don't watch" also has a connotation of regularity.

BTW there isn't a war on Christmas, this isn't 200 AD and you're they're being persecuted by the Romans.

What's going on is the Christian war on Science, and the several Christians that participate in that should be persecuted.

libertarian_knight said:
What's going on is the Christian war on Science, and the several Christians that participate in that should be persecuted.

I dont think it is necessarily a Christian war on science, but it is certainly a religious right/moral majority/fundamentalist nutcase war on science. I am catholic and I dont know a catholic who wants ID taught to our kids in Biology class. I work with mostly Christians and none of my coworkers believes that evolution should be scrapped from text books. But now my fundie ignunt-a$$ neighbor thinks any mention of Charles Darwin and you should be burnt at the stake. And guess who he is always listening to...Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell.

Personally, I think Robertson and Falwell both should be executed for the harm they are doing to this country and the offense they pose to Christianity. Hang them right from the steeple of their false churches and let their bodies rot in the sun as a reminder to others who would use their religion to opress and attack the rights of others.

Deegan said:
All of these things say "Factor" "No Spin" not a one has his name on it, get it right sir.;)

Hate to do it but here goes

Hitler funded the Nazi Youth for the benefit of the German Children. And He didn't put his name on everything, just a swastika (or yellow star) everywhere. Does that make him a good guy by default too?

of course not. Bill O'Rielly is a condescending prick and arrogant mouthpeice.

See "liberal media" often uses commentary based in comedy, irony, or "bleeding hearts." (al franken doesn't count, al franken sucks. Never listened to his show, but have seen and hear interviews with him, i couldn't take his show I am sure, especially after hearing what other people, not just those here, say about it.)

"Conservative Media" often uses controvery, clever spin, and labeling.

libertarian_knight said:

Dont forget sensationalized plays on fear...

libertarian_knight said:
Hate to do it but here goes

Hitler funded the Nazi Youth for the benefit of the German Children. And He didn't put his name on everything, just a swastika (or yellow star) everywhere. Does that make him a good guy by default too?

of course not. Bill O'Rielly is a condescending prick and arrogant mouthpeice.

See "liberal media" often uses commentary based in comedy, irony, or "bleeding hearts." (al franken doesn't count, al franken sucks. Never listened to his show, but have seen and hear interviews with him, i couldn't take his show I am sure, especially after hearing what other people, not just those here, say about it.)

I don't know the man, so I don't know what kind of "guy" he is, good or bad. I do believe him to be a decent Catholic, and a proud, patriotic American, who wouldn't with his success in this land. I also know his books have helped many people, especially his book for kids, these are the only things I can judge him by, will you put yourself out their for all to examine and pick apart?

Hitler has no bearing on this issue, and just shows your obvious desperation, good job exposing yourself, now just take a break.;)

galenrox said:
So if that's your best attempt at proving a foot in mouth, I must suggest you don't try to get into a contest with cnredd yet.

There's a compliment in there somplace....I think...keep diggin' redd...keep diggin'....:doh

What a terrible, awful man Bill O'Reilly is! Giving all that money to charity! Addressing ridiculous laws and rulings against child rapists on his shows! He should go straight to hell and so should all those people who buy his merchandise and books!

The Real McCoy said:
What a terrible, awful man Bill O'Reilly is! Giving all that money to charity! Addressing ridiculous laws and rulings against child rapists! He should go straight to hell and so should all those people who buy his merchandise and books!

Even bad people do good things. The fact that O'Reilly gives to charity or exposes the occasional thing does not redeem him - he is an inflammatory demagogue that discourages rational debate and encourages appeals to emotion over logic.

jallman said:
Dont forget sensationalized plays on fear...

No, they both do that.
===
Republicans are going to take away school lunches

political opposition aids the terrorist

poor people starving in the streets

opposing stupid wars in unamerican

old people choosing food or meds as a standard

the boogeyman is real and alive in a cave in some desolate remote region in a backwater country.

Deegan said:
I don't know the man, so I don't know what kind of "guy" he is, good or bad. I do believe him to be a decent Catholic, and a proud, patriotic American, who wouldn't with his success in this land. I also know his books have helped many people, especially his book for kids, these are the only things I can judge him by, will you put yourself out their for all to examine and pick apart?

Hitler has no bearing on this issue, and just shows your obvious desperation, good job exposing yourself, now just take a break.;)

Hey I used to like O'Reilly. I even have one of his early books, read it and liked it a lot. After 9-11 he became a state apologist, offering only token resistance on minor issues.

Comparative behavior has a lot of bearing. Even some of the most evil men on earth have done something deemed good. Not that O'Reilly is evil, but him doing "some good" does not make him good nor honest.

libertarian_knight said:
Hey I used to like O'Reilly. I even have one of his early books, read it and liked it a lot. After 9-11 he became a state apologist, offering only token resistance on minor issues.

Comparative behavior has a lot of bearing. Even some of the most evil men on earth have done something deemed good. Not that O'Reilly is evil, but him doing "some good" does not make him good nor honest.

I am sure he has his faults, we all do, but he has set a good example, well......except for that little phone tag he was playing with his co-worker. I lost a lot of respect for him after that, even though I know not all of it was true, still, he was trying to be unfaithful. We all make mistakes, I am just glad mine are not under the microscope everyday, I give him credit for putting up with that, though the pay fits the stress I must say.;)

Deegan said:
I am sure he has his faults, we all do, but he has set a good example, well......except for that little phone tag he was playing with his co-worker. I lost a lot of respect for him after that, even though I know not all of it was true, still, he was trying to be unfaithful. We all make mistakes, I am just glad mine are not under the microscope everyday, I give him credit for putting up with that, though the pay fits the stress I must say.;)

It's really his tone and on camera behavior riles people against him. It's really not so much "his message." There are a lot of people saying the same things, or more absurd that Bill O'Rielly, but they don't get the attention because they aren't as abrasive. THAT is why he is on TV; because he is abrasive, PERIOD. That's why Rush Limbaugh is on radio, he's abrasive. It's that tone and thier self-righteousness that "attracts" people to them.

People like to hear other people "tell it like it is" even when they are not. We also like conflict, and antagonism, especially if it's "safe."

O'Rielly is reasonably articulate, but there are better, smarter, wittier speakers out there with better haircuts, flashier smiles, and smoother voices, but many can not take themselves seriously when acting like that for long enough to get a single segment done, let alone a series year after year.

O'Reilly is, contrary to popular opinion, not a news man, but an entertainer. People like John Stewart know this, and they use comedy as the medium of entertainment. O'Rielly uses conflict.

Real actual stories and facts aren't so popular, as evident that the Science Channel and History Channel aren't the single most popular stations. People, especially TV watching Americans want entertainment, not reality. Angelnia Jolie has not been doing lessons on Organic Chemistry for a reason. (But OMG if she did Chem and econ lessons I would probably have an orgasmic heart attack. I know TMI, but still. I have a new dream for tongiht...woohoo)

Back
Top Bottom