• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Daredevil to attempt jumping out of plane at 25,000 feet without a parachute

If God meant for us to jump out of airplanes for no good reason, he would've gave us wings!

End of story!

I only jumped 3 times in the Army, last one bad landing, bad back since, no more jumping.

I only jumped 3 times in the Army, last one bad landing, bad back since, no more jumping.
Yep, but at least you had good reason to jump.

I don't mind taking calculated risk - life is about assuming risk; but there has to be adequate reward to make the risk worthwhile.

Consequently, I'll never jump out of a plane except for good (really good) reason!

Of course, the ultimate risk to ending one's life is matrimony - but that's a whole 'nuther subject ...

That sounds like it hurt pretty bad.

Yep- from 1000 ft- Full equipment- bad exit - when the chute deployed the lines were twisted so the chute is not fully but mostly opened - performed the procedure to untwist the lines- which results in their untwisting and me twirling around & round much like a spinning top - then a guy stole my air just before landing- came in backwards -3 point landing- heels-ass - head- another 3 pointer - heels -ass - head - finally stopped and my lines were twisted around me from legs to chest - the jump helmet which is cinched tightly was on the side of my head.
That ended my jumping.

I skydive. This stunt is certainly theoretically doable. His terminal velocity won't be so much that he can't survive the deceleration as long as the net has enough room and elasticity to stretch to accommodate it. Hitting his target is the tricky part. I don't know how big a landing zone we are talking about. But this guy definitely has the experience to make it work.

My guess is he will succeed but I wouldn't go and watch it. The last time I watched a stunt man he died. I was a kid back in the 80s and I was at a demolition derby at the Astrodome in Houston. A man in a barrel was going to drop from the top of the Astrodome and land in a pool of water. Obviously I thought that was badass. I was a kid. Well, the barrel hit the SIDE of the pool and broke open. He was rushed to the hospital and we later learned he died. Here is a link to that story. 35,000 Watch as Barrel Misses Water Tank : 180-Ft. Drop Ends in Stunt Man's Death - latimes

Anyway, it sort of soured my taste for watching stunts.

The article mentions about 1/3 the size of a football field.

Daredevil to attempt jumping out of plane at 25,000 feet without a parachute | Fox News

Tune in Sat 8 pm (5 pm PDT)- The event will broadcast with a time delay.
Not hard to figure out why.

heres-your-sign.jpg

I don't mind taking calculated risk - life is about assuming risk; but there has to be adequate reward to make the risk worthwhile.

Consequently, I'll never jump out of a plane except for good (really good) reason!

Of course, the ultimate risk to ending one's life is matrimony - but that's a whole 'nuther subject ...

Part of the training included rappelling- from a tower and chopper- that was a real hoot. If the chance comes up, and think it may, I would do again.

The article mentions about 1/3 the size of a football field.
I offer a 100 % guarantee that he will hit.......................something

And everyone's risk/reward calculation is a bit different. I enjoy skydiving. But I use a backup chute and jump only under the best conditions. For me reward is great enough and the risk low enough to justify it. I personally don't BASE jump or do low level wingsuit flying because while it looks fun as hell the risk is beyond my tolerance. I won't ride a motorcycle on the highway for the same reason.

it's not the drop that is the issue

it is that sudden stop at the bottom

mass, velocity, all those math things

most people who have fallen from planes havent done so well

is it me or are the adrenaline junkies getting crazier and crazier as we go along?

The guy must have landed on his head a few times already.

I skydive. This stunt is certainly theoretically doable. His terminal velocity won't be so much that he can't survive the deceleration as long as the net has enough room and elasticity to stretch to accommodate it. Hitting his target is the tricky part. I don't know how big a landing zone we are talking about. But this guy definitely has the experience to make it work.

Yeah, over 20 stories he only needs to average a bit more than 2g of deceleration to bleed off his kinetic energy assuming his terminal velocity is ~120mph. But my understanding is that your air velocity is higher for a wingsuit because you're descending at an angle, closer to 180mph. Like sailboat tacking. That would put his average deceleration over 5g's. That'll be....uncomfortable.

Hmm...I suppose this suggests another possible risk: the net acts as a trampoline of sorts, and launches the guy back up in the air, this time with an even more uncontrolled landing.

His terminal velocity will be over 100 mph. Does the net have airbags?

Yeah, over 20 stories he only needs to average a bit more than 2g of deceleration to bleed off his kinetic energy assuming his terminal velocity is ~120mph. But my understanding is that your air velocity is higher for a wingsuit because you're descending at an angle, closer to 180mph. Like sailboat tacking. That would put his average deceleration over 5g's. That'll be....uncomfortable.

True, but it says he isn't wearing a wingsuit. Given he wants to hit a target, falling straight now is probably preferable anyway.

Hmm...I suppose this suggests another possible risk: the net acts as a trampoline of sorts, and launches the guy back up in the air, this time with an even more uncontrolled landing.

Yeah, that would definitely be on my mind. A 20 story fall from the trampoline after surviving a 24,800 drop would be a bad way to go.

True, but it says he isn't wearing a wingsuit. Given he wants to hit a target, falling straight now is probably preferable anyway.

That'll teach me to actually read articles before commenting on them. :doh

And everyone's risk/reward calculation is a bit different. I enjoy skydiving. But I use a backup chute and jump only under the best conditions. For me reward is great enough and the risk low enough to justify it. I personally don't BASE jump or do low level wingsuit flying because while it looks fun as hell the risk is beyond my tolerance. I won't ride a motorcycle on the highway for the same reason.
Well, I respect your choice - but better you than me!

OTOH - I rode most of my life, often enough on highways, including 3 years of commuting to work my bike.

Well, I respect your choice - but better you than me!

OTOH - I rode most of my life, often enough on highways, including 3 years of commuting to work my bike.

It is all about perspective, I suppose.

When I jump my life is dependent on my skill and my equipment only. When you ride your life is also dependent on all the idiots with whom you share the road. ;)

His terminal velocity will be over 100 mph. Does the net have airbags?

Supposedly the net will be 20 stories above ground which is what, about 200 feet? A combination of a stretching net and some kind of slow cable release from the cranes I guess would do the job. I think it all comes down to actually hitting the net from almost 5 miles up.

Back
Top Bottom