• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DA moves to dismiss a murder charge against a Texas woman accused of a self-induced abortion

Same diff, really.
Well, I hope they do look at it and blow it out of the water, because other states are copycatting. It's an awful way of instituting a law.

This has been my theory. It's a response to left wing migration: make the state such a hell hole no educated liberal would possibly want to live there if they have any choice in the matter.

Ironically the solution is for educated liberals to flood the zone. Get out of California -- go to Texas and Florida where your numbers will actually matter. Statistically speaking, you probably can't afford a home in Ca anyway.
I had an idea to induce liberals to move to low population states, like Wyoming. Wyoming has about 600,000 people, of which 300,000 voted in 2020. Fewer than 100,000 more voters could shift the state blue.

Well, I hope they do look at it and blow it out of the water, because other states are copycatting. It's an awful way of instituting a law.
The 6-3 that rejected a stay is the same 6-3 that isn’t blowing it out of the water.

I had an idea to induce liberals to move to low population states, like Wyoming. Wyoming has about 600,000 people, of which 300,000 voted in 2020. Fewer than 100,000 more voters could shift the state blue.
Look, you’re not wrong, but we have to agree on a common strategy or everyone will be confused and nothing will work. And a sensible and effective strategy is for liberals to flood Florida and Texas.

Look, you’re not wrong, but we have to agree on a common strategy or everyone will be confused and nothing will work. And a sensible and effective strategy is for liberals to flood Florida and Texas.
Liberals have been flooding Florida for decades.

There is a saying that South Florida was built with the New York Teachers Retirement System.

Liberals have been flooding Florida for decades.

There is a saying that South Florida was built with the New York Teachers Retirement System.
Have they, though? Because it seems like they’ve had the same “just barely Republican enough” majority for over twenty years now.

Have they, though? Because it seems like they’ve had the same “just barely Republican enough” majority for over twenty years now.
Obama won their twice.

The major population centers are Democratic while the rest is Alabama. Except for the State legislature, which is gerrymandered, Florida is a purple state.

Charges should never have been filed in the first place.

I agree. What a pathetic state Texas is.

Kind of a shitshow, was reported to the police in Jan and the DA's office had plenty of time to determine is any laws were broken and bring charges.

The DA's office made the call to issue an arrest warrant application to a judge for "murder", but as far as I know the DA's office never exactly said what statues of the law they were charging "murder" under. Now they are bailing.

Pretty clear case of prosecutorial misconduct and whatever judge issued the warrant as well as the judge that levied a $500k bail when the State couldn't even say what statues of the law they were charging "murder" under, should be tossed off the bench and disbarred.

A good example of what happens when you have politicians making laws - you get this sort of stupid shit where whether or not a murder has been committed depends on who did it. These asshole politicians don't want the bad publicity of charging pregnant women with murder, so they exempted them, but the idiot DA didn't even read the law before signing the indictment, therefore the morons who wrote the law get the bad publicity anyway. The whole ridiculous affair is just part of the clown show that is democracy.
So you would abolish democracy. What do you think should replace it? Dictatorship, with you as supreme ruler?

This was not some mistake… A grand jury returned an indictment. I suspect we are going to learn some really shady stuff happened in this case.. The entire county is around 65,000 people..

A61E81CC-CFF1-4890-B1F0-16D45338E20C.jpeg

30FA88BE-92E6-41EE-8AD9-CAC4E15851F5.jpeg

A good example of what happens when you have politicians making laws - you get this sort of stupid shit where whether or not a murder has been committed depends on who did it. These asshole politicians don't want the bad publicity of charging pregnant women with murder, so they exempted them, but the idiot DA didn't even read the law before signing the indictment, therefore the morons who wrote the law get the bad publicity anyway. The whole ridiculous affair is just part of the clown show that is democracy.
I think you meant to say, the whole ridiculous affair is just part of the clown show that is Texas.

Obama won their twice.

The major population centers are Democratic while the rest is Alabama. Except for the State legislature, which is gerrymandered, Florida is a purple state.
That’s actually a fantastic argument for liberals moving to Florida: if it’s already purple, then the best solution would be to tip it blue.

That’s actually a fantastic argument for liberals moving to Florida: if it’s already purple, then the best solution would be to tip it blue.
You could take a place like Wyoming with far less numbers, but that state also sounds boring as all hell.

You could take a place like Wyoming with far less numbers, but that state also sounds boring as all hell.
The only liberals who would want to move to Wyoming are people who are so sick of the city that they’re willing to over-correct.

The only liberals who would want to move to Wyoming are people who are so sick of the city that they’re willing to over-correct.
Yeah, it would definitely be "taking one for the team"

Yeah, it would definitely be "taking one for the team"
I’m probably biased. Of all the right wing states, Florida offers the most layers of diversity that would keep me engaged. I haven’t seen anything of Texas that would really do it for me, though I personally know people who’ve left Ca to buy a home there. California is great, but the draw of home ownership is strong and if you’re not rich then that’s going to eat into you eventually.

Like roaches, though, they always find some place to live ;). In Wyoming, it seems to be Jackson Hole.

Yup. Not against the law in Texas.
Yet somehow a grand jury was convinced to hand down an indictment.

My guess is the DA or one of his four ADA’s were convinced they knew the law till this went national and lawyers from around the country pointed out the actual Texas statute. Piss poor work by the DA’s office. Should call into question other cases they have prosecuted.

Back
Top Bottom