• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DA moves to dismiss a murder charge against a Texas woman accused of a self-induced abortion

Wow, I'm amazed at how easily Conservatives project their unseemly desires on Liberals and Progressives. They're creating a nanny state and saying that was Democrats are trying to create.

Looking to destroy religious freedom? Look no further than the Republicans, trying to impose their religious views on even Atheists, forget about non-Christian religions.

Look, you’re not wrong, but we have to agree on a common strategy or everyone will be confused and nothing will work. And a sensible and effective strategy is for liberals to flood Florida and Texas.
Not necessarily. Wyoming has the same number of Senate seats as Texas and Floriduh.

Not necessarily. Wyoming has the same number of Senate seats as Texas and Floriduh.

Why is everybody responding to me with the same state — Wyoming? It has three stupid electoral votes. Was this recently brought up on a tv segment or something?

Why is everybody responding to me with the same state — Wyoming? It has three stupid electoral votes. Was this recently brought up on a tv segment or something?
Wyoming was the original example cited in this thread. The same could be said for Montana or the Dakotas.

So you would abolish democracy.

Definitely, as it is a complete and obvious failure.

What do you think should replace it?

There is nothing government can buy that people can't buy for themselves. Everything should be provided by the market. Having a relatively tiny group of petty tyrants rule over everyone else is idiotic.

I think you meant to say, the whole ridiculous affair is just part of the clown show that is Texas.

No, it's a clown show in every state, and it's an even bigger clown show at the federal level. BTW, Texas is an extremely successful state by the standard of democracy.

Definitely, as it is a complete and obvious failure.

There is nothing government can buy that people can't buy for themselves. Everything should be provided by the market. Having a relatively tiny group of petty tyrants rule over everyone else is idiotic.

No, it's a clown show in every state, and it's an even bigger clown show at the federal level. BTW, Texas is an extremely successful state by the standard of democracy.
You have not answered the question: Who should make laws other than elected politicians?

Wyoming

This has been my theory. It's a response to left wing migration: make the state such a hell hole no educated liberal would possibly want to live there if they have any choice in the matter.

Ironically the solution is for educated liberals to flood the zone. Get out of California -- go to Texas and Florida where your numbers will actually matter. Statistically speaking, you probably can't afford a home in Ca anyway.

I'd like to see charges brought and soon, we need a case to be challenged at the federal level and they keep ****ing running away.

This was my post in a different thread before charges were dropped: So traumatic for this woman :( but she's got an excellent case to take to the federal level. I hope she takes this all the way.

It's going to be a sacrifice and terrible experience for the woman, but I hope it happens soon and makes that sacrifice worth it.

WTF??????

If it's murder then charge her ass with murder!!!!
Agreed. Previously posted:

If abortion is morally wrong, why did the courts recognize a woman's right to have one?

It's a decision that came about once a medical procedure was proven safer than giving birth. Once abortion was a safer procedure, there was no longer any foundation for banning it electively, in the guise of 'protecting women.' The decision was not about protecting the unborn.
And they were unequivocal about that. (court decision quotes available on request)

Abortion 14 times safer than pregnancy

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Getting a legal abortion is much safer than giving birth, suggests a new U.S. study published Monday.
Researchers found that women were about 14 times more likely to die during or after giving birth to a live baby than to die from complications of an abortion.
link

So the courts today are shirking their responsibilities (as did the previous benches with their ambiguity) in not answering that question, within the context of the rights recognized in the Const. And there are several court challenges before SCOTUS right now, including the TX case, which they punted on, and MS.

I for one can't see how this wouldn't be a false arrest. Also, as I understand it, the hospital staff reported her to the police. I wonder if they have legal and/or civil liability for false reporting. As I understand it, what the staff did wouldn't fall under the protection of Texas's new law.
The arrest happening by state officials puts this squarely outside of the TX abortion bill.

I think the thought is to flip the senate by sending 100K voting liberals to Wyoming. The thought is that it's the least populous state and would be 'easy' to flip. It is silly all the way around.

Personally, I think a more effective strategy, if Democrats wanted to 'flip' Wyoming, would be to enact policies that appeal to people in Wyoming.

You have not answered the question: Who should make laws other than elected politicians?

The production of law and the service of dispute resolution should be supplied by the market. Private law has a long history, and if you are interested, this is one of the best books on the subject.

Today in the US the failure of government-run courts has created the huge industry of private arbitration for businesses to handle disputes with each other. These private arbitration firms create their own laws, which are written by experts in the field instead of by some idiot politician or some scumbag lobbyist - and with government, those are the only two choices you get.

Or consider how credit card companies handle disputes between buyers and sellers, that's another example of private adjudication. Private law is everywhere, even on this forum.

This has been my theory. It's a response to left wing migration: make the state such a hell hole no educated liberal would possibly want to live there if they have any choice in the matter.

Ironically the solution is for educated liberals to flood the zone. Get out of California -- go to Texas and Florida where your numbers will actually matter. Statistically speaking, you probably can't afford a home in Ca anyway.
I don’t see swarms of educated white liberals moving to the Rio Grande valley

I think $5 million for false arrest, emotional harm, and damaged reputation ought to be about right.

The DA has dropped the charges, so they knew from the start this was an illegal arrest. Right?
Not right, DAs often do drop or file charges for political reasons. For example, the Hero Kyle Rittenhouse was falsely charged for political reasons, whereas charges against Burn Loot Murder members were widely dropped after Biden was elected.

Tiller didn't teach america anything sadly.
These people would execute any doctor who would perform an abortion.

They didn't outright say it but they were happy he was killed.
I am not happy he was killed, only understanding that when you make money murdering people then sometimes the bill comes due for you.

In the same way I wouldn’t celebrate a mafia hitman being killed, but I also don’t feel terribly sorry for him.

Wow, I'm amazed at how easily Conservatives project their unseemly desires on Liberals and Progressives. They're creating a nanny state and saying that was Democrats are trying to create.

Looking to destroy religious freedom? Look no further than the Republicans, trying to impose their religious views on even Atheists, forget about non-Christian religions.
Banning abortion and prosecuting those who engage in it is an exercise of secular and not religious power

Not right, DAs often do drop or file charges for political reasons. For example, the Hero Kyle Rittenhouse was falsely charged for political reasons, whereas charges against Burn Loot Murder members were widely dropped after Biden was elected.
Nope. Arson and assault charges are being pursued and people convicted. A whole bunch of people arrested for nothing but being out after curfew had their charges dropped. It served to get them off the street when that was needed.

Actually, the more important thing there would be getting the 2 Senate seats. Carefully coordinated with just a few other states (that are currently red and just a million or less people moving to each state could change it blue), and that could easily mean the difference between getting bills through the Senate.

Actually, the more important thing there would be getting the 2 Senate seats. Carefully coordinated with just a few other states (that are currently red and just a million or less people moving to each state could change it blue), and that could easily mean the difference between getting bills through the Senate.
Okay, that's the best argument I've seen for focusing on Wyoming. You'd still have to convince liberals to move to Wyoming, though. That's a tough sell.

Okay, that's the best argument I've seen for focusing on Wyoming. You'd still have to convince liberals to move to Wyoming, though. That's a tough sell.
My mom lived there for a while. I do not recommend Kemmerer WY if you want any sort of green and/or activities close by (although Fossil Butte is there, which can be cool for a visit). But they could have bought the 4/5 (don't remember which) bedroom house for around $80k or less. So if you are just looking for anywhere and have interests that don't need others, it can be good.

However, up near Yellowstone is gorgeous. Definitely a place I could live. And Cheyenne has a good size population. I went dancing out there with my mom while visiting.

Back
Top Bottom