• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Creationism vs. Flat Earth: Which belief is more irrational?

I wonder if it is possible to be both a flat earther and a creationist?

Be a real target to have someone show up on a debate site with that as a claim.
I would imagine there are those who are both. I've heard flat earthers claim their flt earth belief comes from the bible.

Yeah, but cha gotta admit, it sure would explain a whole lotta things...
JFC.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
H. L. Mencken

iu

Something is either rational or not . I think saying a proposition is more, or less, rational than another is pointless.
Obviously creationism and flat earth are both irrational. It's the degrees of irrationality that I was looking at. But I consider them basically the same.

OK, but “God works in mysterious ways” explains everything. ;)
Very little mystery in how God works...the Bible explains all we need to know...

That (bolded above) is an absolutely ridiculous statement. Even religious schools teach (and explain) many other necessary things.
I thought we were talking about God...

I thought we were talking about God...

Indeed, but using the Bible as an everything which is true and/or necessary text is very limiting and quite dated. Of course, many have used the how to treat slaves Bible verses as a justification for slavery.

Indeed, but using the Bible as an everything which is true and/or necessary text is very limiting and quite dated. Of course, many have used the how to treat slaves Bible verses as a justification for slavery.
OK, let me be more specific...the Bible contains everything we need to know about God...how's that?

OK, let me be more specific...the Bible contains everything we need to know about God...how's that?
It doesn't prove there's a God. It's no different from books on Greek mythology telling us everything we need to know about Zeus.

Prove it’s not the Vedas that contain everything we need to know about god.

The same God who (allegedly) killed all people except for 8? That was quite a holocaust.
True...too bad mankind did not learn from that but they went right back to their old, sinful ways...

"If your personal beliefs deny what is objectively true about the world, then they're more accurately called personal delusions." ---Neil deGrasse Tyson

Creationism and flat Earth beliefs are both irrational beliefs, usually based on nothing more than dogma, willful ignorance, or emotional dependency. Both beliefs fly in the face of scientific knowledge and understanding, and require a suspension of rational and critical thinking, not to mention quite a cognitive dissonance. As absurd as they are, which is the more irrational belief? Let's compare them in three categories and determine a "winner."

Round 1: core tenets.

Creationism is basically the belief that God created everything as is; the universe, Earth, and humans (and other species) as we are. It generally ignores sound scientific principles like evolution and adheres to an often literal interpretation of the bible. Typically, Young Earth Creationists (YEC) believe the Earth is roughly less than 10,000 years old while Old Earth Creationists (OEC) allow for an Earth to be in the millions or even billions of years old (God still created everything in OEC, but he just let things run on automatic for awhile). Creationism has been historically, and continues to be, a popular belief.

The Flat Earth belief posits that the Earth itself is not rounded like a sphere, but is actually flat (although it can also be a flat disk to give the appearance of roundness). Flat earth adherents reject any claims of a spherical Earth and shrug off any proof to the contrary as false, misleading, and even as conspiracies meant to fool people. They may even refer to the bible to reason that the earth is flat. However, while followers of either belief might strongly adhere to their belief, there is a segment of creationists (the OEC) who allow for some injection of established scientific principles with regard to the age of the earth or evolution (although God is still the root cause of everything). Therefore, Flat Earth narrowly edges out over creationism. Winner Round 1: Flat Earth.

Round 2: Adherents/popularity

While the idea of a flat earth dates back many centuries, the ancient Greeks (among other societies) developed the concept of a spherical earth. Believers of a flat earth would continue until even modern times. Today, there is even a Flat Earth Society. However, until modern times with social media, the idea of a flat earth never gained too much traction. Sure there may have been surges in the popularity or belief of a flat earth, but it always seemed more of an afterthought. Social media has been a tool for flat earthers to expose themselves and try to convince others of their views or make the idea of a flat earth more mainstream, especially among millennials. But they always seem more willing to "hide in the shadows" as it were. The current iteration of the Flat Earth Society has approximately 500 members, although there are likely more people who are flat earthers.

Creationism, on the other hand, has likely far more numbers of adherents. A gallup poll several years ago indicated that 4 in 10 Americans (not counting other countries) subscribe to a creationist belief. That's roughly 125 million Americans. That's also a very sad commentary on our society too. Creationists win this round by sheer numbers alone. Winner round 2: Creationists.
---Continued---
flat Earth wins------already 100% positive it is wrong

flat Earth wins------already 100% positive it is wrong
Indeed it is wrong. So is creationism too. But I had to determine a "winner."

A circle is a circle. A sphere is a sphere.

If Isaiah meant sphere, why did he write circle? Is it reasonable for us to believe that Isaiah actually had no concept of a sphere?
Or Isaiah wasn't divinely inspired. Just an ignorant man.

The same God who (allegedly) killed all people except for 8? That was quite a holocaust.
And quite the bloodlust from a supposedly "loving" god.

True...too bad mankind did not learn from that but they went right back to their old, sinful ways...
Which God, assuming he's omnipotent and omniscient, knew ahead of time it would happen, making his failed attempt at genocide a pointless, but bloodthirsty endeavor.

Back
Top Bottom