• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cream of Wheat to Drop Black Chef From Packaging

It's really simple:
  • Show how a picture of a black man with a bowl of food "harkens back to the days of Minstrel shows and little black Sambo when blacks were subjugated and knew their place"
If you can't do that, then your claim is unsubstantiated and the path from the picture to the harkening back of Minstrel shows not demonstrated.

Remember, everyone will have their own interpretation. No one is required to have your interpretation. And if you think your interpretation is the right one and want others to share in it, you need to show why.

Dude. the logo itself was created as a "racist stereotype" it doesn't matter that they made the graphics "21st century" The mascot was conceived of as a semi literate dim-witted servant. This isn't rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the stuff launched in the 1890s, The mascot on the box named “Rastus,” was essentially a caricature of Black Americans who was dim-witted and spoke in broken English, and whose name is now considered a racial slur the same way "boy" or " darkie" is considered a racial slur.

So they changed mascots from something racist to something far more acceptable. Awesome. And now they've changed again. Cool. Sounds like progress.

So they changed mascots from something racist to something far more acceptable. Awesome. And now they've changed again. Cool. Sounds like progress.

Acceptable to whom? They didn't change the mascot, they modernized him. However the history is still there. Yes "progress" kind of like how they don't advertise cigarettes on TV anymore having children's cartoon characters smoke them. Times change and so do marketing strategies..

Just wanna pop in to say that literally no one asked for this. People are asking for the police to be held accountable for their actions, not for food mascots to be dropped.

This is going places...

Yep. Right here...

giphy.gif

OK...so...?
If you don't particularly support modernized versions of black caricatures nobody else ever cared about, but have been quietly removed by the corporate powerhouses behind then as we become more conscious that not everyone approves of the cartoonization of people who look like you to sell wheat boxes, how can we truly say all lives matter?

You sir, are being hypocritical.

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about

Acceptable to whom? They didn't change the mascot, they modernized him. However the history is still there. Yes "progress" kind of like how they don't advertise cigarettes on TV anymore having children's cartoon characters smoke them. Times change and so do marketing strategies..
I'm pretty sure no one today is mad at cream of wheat because they had a racist mascot 130 years ago.

Just wanna pop in to say that literally no one asked for this. People are asking for the police to be held accountable for their actions, not for food mascots to be dropped.
You seem very confident that racist cartoon depictions of minorities doesn't bother anyone.

I'm certain that is not the case.

How is this systemic racism?

Why is afroamericans not proud of this?

Is it systemic racism with all products with whites on it or is it only blacks?

But it's ok replace white do clevelands voice becouse he is black with a black!

Damn you mean I am going need a white man to cook my breakfast now? That ruined my day.

I'm pretty sure no one today is mad at cream of wheat because they had a racist mascot 130 years ago.
You're the Dante of this thread.

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about

The picture no longer makes any sense, it is an anachronism. Here is the original version...

s-l640.jpg

Pt0L7PcuiG5MSBi7N21fbFTq1hIYYiKGZLz_yVwz2AjsSxn6lWVU6F6iJVwVav_zzWibvxMUcwc6-cRLYGQ7y_SLZBDaQKEz1cR6NT1ZC6XpkOnVlevNuDtKpQGf_8GQDwO9AO41HpjpadQLeSEKo-9_aEj2ltB8vDGG0ebYoaCPtfv0QLusl9MFkrv4YJhN_PqLkoIt8cuOdCWvBg5sLVPB0YW5F9U

Further proving that the woke brigade and white racists are the same. Both are happy to have black people off of consumer packaging.
So you know what the racists want? Interesting...

The image itself harkens back to the days of Minstrel shows and little black Sambo when blacks were subjugated and knew their place. Change is good, time for an update.

Minstrel shows were just as popular with Black Americans as White Americans back in the day.

Minstrel shows were just as popular with Black Americans as White Americans back in the day.

Sure, I bet that demeaning and cruel stereotypes were popular with the group of people that they were caricaturizing. Why wouldn't they love that?

Sure, I bet that demeaning and cruel stereotypes were popular with the group of people that they were caricaturizing. Why wouldn't they love that?

Maybe because back then everyone wasn't looking to feel offended about everything.

Maybe because back then everyone wasn't looking to feel offended about everything.

Well that's a ****ing jack ass statement. You're ignorant of the history of minstrel shows. Now it's up to you to prove that "black people enjoyed minstrel shows" being being made fun of.. i'll wait.. I bet blacks also enjoyed having to walk in the gutter so a white man could pass on the sidewalk down in the ole Jim Crowe South..

Last edited:

Okay. Hope the follow up by replacing stuff in box. That stuff is nasty.

Well that's a ****ing jack ass statement. You're ignorant of the history of minstrel shows. Now it's up to you to prove that "black people enjoyed minstrel shows" being being made fun of.. i'll wait.. I bet blacks also enjoyed having to walk in the gutter so a white man could pass on the sidewalk down in the ole Jim Crowe South..

LOL. Minstrial shows were far more popular in the north than in "ole Jim Crowe South". https://www.americanheritage.com/blackface-sad-history-minstrel-shows. The character of Jim Crow was created in New York by a New Yorker who created the whole minstrel genre.

Here is a nice porch "Monkey"

19-Honda-Monkey_rear.jpg
You are trying to be funny, but everyone knows you wouldn't say this to black folks at work.

It is what it is.

------------------------

We weren't talking about Jim Crow laws or walking in the gutter. Many performers in the Minstrel shows were Black, especially some of the "side men" who did the dance routiines. These weren't slaves, these were free men.

Why are you so upset about this? Even liberal icon Judy Garland did this style of entertainment.

Racism solved. Can we go back to enjoying Al Jolson now?

Back
Top Bottom