• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Company’s ban against gay weddings is akin to ‘white applicants only’ sign, judge say

Re: Company’s ban against gay weddings is akin to ‘white applicants only’ sign, judge

my gun rights change from state-to-state to. So why is it okay to discriminate against gun owners?

Lmao, the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. That's the only right I see. Which state doesn't let you own guns? :)

Re: Company’s ban against gay weddings is akin to ‘white applicants only’ sign, judge

Lmao, the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. That's the only right I see. Which state doesn't let you own guns? :)

I can carry a concealed handgun in my state and all states that have reciprocity.

I can't in illinois or California.

That is different because that law is actively enforced. Where I could adopt a child in Texas but I'm not guaranteed the right to.

I can carry a concealed handgun in my state and all states that have reciprocity.

I can't in illinois or California.

That is different because that law is actively enforced. Where I could adopt a child in Texas but I'm not guaranteed the right to.

Please don't adopt a child. Please

Not sure it would, Neo-Nazis are not a protected class. Fundamentally, yes it should force them to because it's the same thing. But this is a very carefully scripted, and maintained one-way road.

Depends upon the state or locality-- some municipalities forbid discrimination based upon political affiliation.
Of course, the nazis could claim the videographer was discriminating against whites.

Perhaps the reason why you don't hear as much about Muslim florists and Muslim bakers being forced to sell flowers to same sex couples and bake them cakes is the fact that Muslims are only about 1% of the total population of the United States. However, their business would be compelled to sell to them by the same anti-discrimination laws that apply to every one else. .

Perhaps people who are suing bakers or videographers over the happiest day of their life are trying to make a political point.
And perhaps those people understand that, when their religion is under assault, Christians often ' turn the cheek.' And perhaps they understand that Muslims, when their religion is under attack, fight back.

...or for not being gay, or for not knowing if you are gay, or for not being able to spell "gay," or for using the word "gay" to mean "happy," because it is an "emploment at will" state.

Can they fire you for being black?

Can they fire you for being black?
No, that's prohibited by federal law.

I can carry a concealed handgun in my state and all states that have reciprocity. I can't in illinois or California.

No son, the right isn't that you get to grab your gun, and bring it to California and do as you wish with it. The right is that California can't stop you from owning a gun. It can't show up at your house and grab your guns from you. It can't shut down every gunstore in the state. The law is that you have to take special measures to transport guns into California. The law isn't that you get to do as you wish in whatever state it is you are in because you somehow brought your gun there.

No, that's prohibited by federal law.

It should be the same for gays

I think this is easy. I don't like the idea of forcing someone to perform labor against their will. I also don't understand why you would want to have someone perform a service for you that they don't want to as the result is likely to be less than optimal.
So. If you have a business and do not wish to service some specific group, you should say so. Put that on your advertising, your store front, whatever. You believe it, don't want to do it, own it. Why should someone go through the hassle of contacting you, setting up appointments just to find out you won't do business with them. Just be up front. We don't do business with gays. We don't do business with blacks. We don't do business with muslims. We don't .....
Wow, that sounds kind of crappy when you write it down.

But they do. Cab drivers refuse whoever they want. All the time.

I know they do, I'm saying that they shouldn't be able to. But NYC is a leftist mecca and Muslims get away with murder.

It should be the same for gays
Well, not for lack of trying. A bill has been introduced in just about every congressional session since the early Clinton years.

I doubt he has the mental acuity.

You're going to have to cite specifically the law and the state or municipality that forbade people from seeing their Partners in the hospital.

I imagine such law would have been relentlessly attacked I would have gone after it. And if it does exist I'd like to know

Goodness, you must be young or something. My brother is gay and he's got several heartbreaking stories about hospitals and gay partners.

The problem is before SSM was legalized, gay partners had no legal status unless they'd signed medical POAs or something equivalent. They had the same legal status as a roommate or drinking buddy. And even they had signed the necessary papers, if challenged by "real" family, like bitter parents, hospitals were reluctant to give the gay partner access and the partner of 25 years sure as hell often could not make any decisions, or had to threaten lawsuits, etc. to make it happen. Sadly, too, many partners hadn't signed the papers because like the rest of us they just didn't anticipate the need and didn't get around to it. No big deal for married straight couples, but for gay couples unable to marry, but who put off the medical POA until too late, it was sometimes tragic.

So it wasn't that laws forbade visits, it's just that there was often no legal standing on which to demand access. Most of my brother's stories involved a dying partner and parents who had never accepted the son being gay, hated his gay partner, and took it out on that person out of spite. Admittedly, it put hospital administrators in a tough position, but that's the problem. If my wife is ill, the presumption is I am the healthcare decision maker, period. That presumption did not exist with gay couples, even people who'd spent decades together.

Here's an article that is somewhat similar to stories my brother and his friends have told me over the years. Thankfully, things are completely different in 2017 than in 1997.

Kept From a Dying Partner?s Bedside - The New York Times

Okay this is a little strange. You associate laws regarding homosexuals as anti-discrimination. That maybe their purpose. But are they necessary. I don't recall ever being discriminated in housing due to my sexual orientation. I've never even been asked that on an application. Not at work and I've worked in very masculine dominated fields.

The existence of laws does not directly equate to lack of discrimination States may not have a problem with this.

You show me more than a statistical zero of homosexuals being discriminated against in the United States.

For some reason, I'm having a hard time believing you're gay if you're unable to imagine gays being discriminated against in the U.S.

If "religious beliefs" require practicing discrimination it is no longer protected by the Constitution. Therefore a change of vocation is their only answer. This is settled law from the 1960's.

This is where you are wrong. they are not discriminating against the people they are simply not celebrating their event.
No business can be forced to do an event. if you think they do then i hope you are willing to say that black people have to do KKK meetings.
that they have no choice in the matter.

I say that black people could refuse to do a KKK meeting. they could not be forced to do that event. I see no difference between the two of them.

I could careless what the hack organization has to say.

you failed to answer my question though. religious bigotry is bigotry so why do you do it?
They have a right and a constitutional right to practice what they believe and the government has 0 right to interfere with that.

I would say that includes into their business as well, However we will see what happens when it comes to this
when the SCOTUS hears the baker case and gives their ruling.

yet those rights can't be infringed on by the government yet they are.
forcing someone to partake in something that disagree's with their religious beliefs not only violates the free speech government and freedom of religion.

i see a similar ruling to HL.

in fact the hobby lobby case would have a huge impact on this case as well as they ruled basically then as well
that family and small owner businesses cannot have their religious beliefs violated.

Yeah, that last sentence is pretty mind blowing. Lol, I can't get fired for having a wife. He can be fired for being married to a guy. He doesn't find it discriminatory at all. Talk about obviously fake poster.

If I were fired for being gay that would be discrimination. I don't see that happening. I bet you could find an instance here or there. But it seems pretty isolated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...?hpid=hp_hp-morning-mix_mm-ban:homepage/story

I agree with the Judges decision, and I am sure some will not.
Not sure on this, but most if not all countries that have SS would not tolerate this discrimination.

The business should have the same choice as to who it will serve as customers as the customers have to chose to whom they will give their business. Business is a two way street.

Not unless they make nazis a protected class. The question we should be debating is if homosexuals should be a protected class of people.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Well they are not so they have no more protection than the neo-nazi's so why should the business owner have the same rights as the customer?

People choose to be neo-Nazis; people don't choose to be gay.

People choose their behaviors.

For some reason, I'm having a hard time believing you're gay if you're unable to imagine gays being discriminated against in the U.S.

Well I've been playing the long con. Since a couple years before you ever signed up. All as a ploy to use it in this conversation.

Because gay people have to think how they are told to think. They must see discrimination all around them because that is what their democrat masters told them to think.

I signed up back in November 2012. I somehow saw 5 years into the future when this conversion would happen and introduced myself as a homosexual.

Man I'm amazing.

https://www.debatepolitics.com/come-in-and-say-hi/142551-am-political-contradiction.html

I find myself torn on this one...here's why I think businesses should *not* be allowed to discriminate. While the highest profile cases seem to be around "frivolous" services, such as wedding cakes and videographers, if the precedent is set that they can refuse service based on sexual orientation, or any other demographic driven traits (race, age, etc), then more essential services can refuse...

First this is NOT an essential service. This is a gay couple asking someone to use their talents to participate in and function to which they have deep moral objections. It is like asking a black composer to compose a song with lyrics celebrating black slavery and wishing a return to it. Recall the black wedding cake bakery. He had sold to the gay couple before, items not custom made or designed but cakes or other goods merely on sale. It was when he was asked to use his artistic talents to create a special cake celebration something to which he had high moral objections it became an issue. No one should be able to force someone to violate such high moral convictions.

The gay couple can choose another videographer.

But then they would not have the pleasure of forcing someone to violate their moral convictions as some political statement.

Back
Top Bottom