• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Company’s ban against gay weddings is akin to ‘white applicants only’ sign, judge say

Re: Company’s ban against gay weddings is akin to ‘white applicants only’ sign, judge

So it's not covered under that then.

What are you talking about? Exceptions to law must be cited.

Re: Company’s ban against gay weddings is akin to ‘white applicants only’ sign, judge

well, then that would be a deception on their part IMO .........
So you think people are under an obligation to disclose their sexual preclavities with the people they intend to do buisiness with?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Well I'm a gay people and I live with another gay people and where is this systematic discrimination?

I live in Texas. I've never been turned away at the doctor at the movie theater at Chick-fil-A so you're going to have to tell me where this is and how its characterized

None of this is systematic oppression or discrimination. Being turne away at Chick-fil-A because somebody thinks your clothing is gay still wouldn't be systematic discrimination because that's not what systematic discrimination is.

He doesn't understand what systematic/systemic discrimination are. Lol, his absurd chik-fil-a example should have given you a clue.

Clearly

You gotta give it to him though. He's trying really hard to join the conversation. That's a plus. There are some folks who simply refuse to admit it exists, and then try to pass laws banning gay people from seeing their partners in hospitals. They're the ones we should be looking out for. CLAX1911 is just some guy claiming to be gay on the internet; claiming that being turned away at some restaurant means you're being systematically discriminatred against. You can't fix that kind of ridiculous opinion.

I just told you. Do I need to name the states to you?

Are you don't have to name States per se but you do have to at least explain how that discriminated against especially since I'm a gay person and a Deep Red State.

Please tell me how I'm discriminated against because I don't know

Are you don't have to name States per se but you do have to at least explain how that discriminated against especially since I'm a gay person and a Deep Red State.

Can you read? I said you can be fired for being gay? Can you be fired for being black? NO BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE DISCRIMINATION!

you gotta give it to him though. He's trying really hard to join the conversation. That's a plus. There are some folks who simply refuse to admit it exists, and then try to pass laws banning gay people from seeing their partners in hospitals. They're the ones we should be looking out for. Clax1911 is just some guy claiming to be gay on the internet; claiming that being turned away at some restaurant means you're being systematically discriminatred against. You can't fix that kind of ridiculous opinion.

i feel like i am banging my head against the wall

You gotta give it to him though. He's trying really hard to join the conversation. That's a plus. There are some folks who simply refuse to admit it exists, and then try to pass laws banning gay people from seeing their partners in hospitals. They're the ones we should be looking out for. CLAX1911 is just some guy claiming to be gay on the internet; claiming that being turned away at some restaurant means you're being systematically discriminatred against. You can't fix that kind of ridiculous opinion.

I doubt he has the mental acuity.

You're going to have to cite specifically the law and the state or municipality that forbade people from seeing their Partners in the hospital.

I imagine such law would have been relentlessly attacked I would have gone after it. And if it does exist I'd like to know

https://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2012/may/08/gay-rights-united-states

Your rights as a gay man in Texas:

View attachment 67223048

Your rights as a gay man in California:

View attachment 67223049

Seriously?

Can you read? I said you can be fired for being gay?
it's only discrimination if you are fired for being gay. States may not view that as necessary to protect because it may not be a problem.

Can you be fired for being black? NO BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE DISCRIMINATION!
that isn't systematic discrimination that's simply no law preventing someone from discriminating.

So how is the lack of a law protecting homosexuals for being fired on the basis of their sexual orientation discrimination?

it wouldn't make sense for businesses to discriminate so I have a hard time believing that they really ever did. And certain places businesses are required by law to discriminate.

The only discrimination a business is going to do is against people that don't have money or that can't make them money.

I'm sorry but the only way to describe that comment is historically ignorant. It happened and it was common. It's hard to believe you've never seen photos of "Whites Only" signs, or watched a movie about blacks in the Jim Crow era. And discriminating against blacks might have been good business.

no I don't have to wait for the cops. I can use Force to stop them those crimes I could use deadly force to stop them. So apples and oranges.

the laws are not there to protect people because they don't. The laws are there to give recourse to the victims and stop this from happening again.

I agree, and if that gas station discriminates the law will impose penalties on him to stop it from happening again.

he can go to a competing Steakhouse. If the law said black people cannot patronized steakhouses that would be inequality.

that doesn't really fly here. If eating at a white supremacist Steakhouse is absolutely necessary for a black man's career we'd have a problem but I have a hard time believing it is.

OK, but then you're stating your preference on a "is it necessary basis" and not on a principle. I'm arguing the latter here. What you're doing is assuming there is no NEED for such laws, but at least one reason there is no longer a perceived need is 53 years of the law obligating all public businesses like that to serve everyone without regard to race, etc. The practice is totally ingrained in our economic culture now, but we don't have to assume it will always be that way. Not sure where you're from but my parents (from west Tennessee -dad, and Miss and LA - mom) WELL remember a time when all the best restaurants in town were absolutely off limits to blacks.

I reject the premise that a restaurant is responsible for a salesman's career.

it places a minor inconvenience on them.

First of all, it was just ONE example among many. And you claimed above you can't imagine a business ever actually discriminated so I doubt you've given the subject matter a lot of thought, nor as someone who hasn't endured it can you really judge the effects. A few "minor inconveniences" solely due to race per week or month add up to significant burdens. Furthermore, we're comparing this to the "burden" of that restaurant legally required to serve blacks on the same basis as whites, for the same pay, etc. From where I sit, it's either a trivial burden, or the racist POS can suck it up or find another line of business.

within your special pleading perhaps but I don't buy that societies harmed because some people have to wait for gas station open that isn't run by jerks.

If it's one person, that's true, but if it's only one station whose right to discriminate is abridged, then exactly how is society harmed? None at all IMO, but by any account far less than that family's harm. We can quantify the family's harm - time lost, lost productivity, missed work, loss of a vacation day. If a million people, that loss is significant. Quantify that gas station owner's loss for me.

Nobody is under any obligation to serve customers equally. I was told back when I worked retail if someone was acting like an ass tell them to leave. The company reserve the right to deny service to anybody for any reason they saw set outside of the ones that you're not legally allowed to.

Right, and the law is as it should be IMO.

it's only discrimination if you are fired for being gay. States may not view that as necessary to protect because it may not be a problem.

that isn't systematic discrimination that's simply no law preventing someone from discriminating.

So how is the lack of a law protecting homosexuals for being fired on the basis of their sexual orientation discrimination?

You have to be kidding. I give up

I doubt he has the mental acuity.

You're going to have to cite specifically the law and the state or municipality that forbade people from seeing their Partners in the hospital.

I imagine such law would have been relentlessly attacked I would have gone after it. And if it does exist I'd like to know

The idiocy you've displayed in this forum by telling us that if you were turned away from some Chik-Fil-A for being gay you'd then be under systematic discrimination, gave us all we need to know about where you would or wouldn't attack.

You have to be kidding. I give up

Yeah, that last sentence is pretty mind blowing. Lol, I can't get fired for having a wife. He can be fired for being married to a guy. He doesn't find it discriminatory at all. Talk about obviously fake poster.

Okay this is a little strange. You associate laws regarding homosexuals as anti-discrimination. That maybe their purpose. But are they necessary. I don't recall ever being discriminated in housing due to my sexual orientation. I've never even been asked that on an application. Not at work and I've worked in very masculine dominated fields.

The existence of laws does not directly equate to lack of discrimination States may not have a problem with this.

You show me more than a statistical zero of homosexuals being discriminated against in the United States.

Okay this is a little strange.

Yes, it's a little strange that you genuinely think that you have the same rights as a straight person in your state and you're not being systematically discriminated against because you can order just fine at Chik-Fil-A without someone calling you a homo. Here is to hoping you spend the next 5-10 years typing your youth away and never being in a serious relationship. It's a lot better than the shock of having a partner get sick and not being able to visit them in the hospital because well, you're gay and the state just doesn't give a **** whether you've been with them for 5 or 10 years.

I don't recall ever being discriminated in housing due to my sexual orientation. I've never even been asked that on an application. Not at work and I've worked in very masculine dominated fields.I've never even been asked that on an application. Not at work and I've worked in very masculine dominated fields.

The existence of laws does not directly equate to lack of discrimination States may not have a problem with this.

You show me more than a statistical zero of homosexuals being discriminated against in the United States.

I wanted to answer this part of your post separately cause it's so mind bogglingly stupid: Congratulations, you've run into people who weren't homophobes or had no idea you were gay!

I don't know what one guy on the internet claiming to be 1) gay and 2) never being discriminated against is supposed to do for your argument.

Show me more than annecdotal evidence that can't be verified one way or another and has no relevance to the thread.

The idiocy you've displayed in this forum by telling us that if you were turned away from some Chik-Fil-A for being gay you'd then be under systematic discrimination, gave us all we need to know about where you would or wouldn't attack.

I didn't say that but pigeon hole if you wish.

I didn't say that but pigeon hole if you wish.

Well I'm a gay people and I live with another gay people and where is this systematic discrimination?

I live in Texas. I've never been turned away at the doctor at the movie theater at Chick-fil-A so you're going to have to tell me where this is and how its characterized

Of course you didn't explicitly say that, it would require you to be a coherent poster. You've made a convoluted and absurd point that ignores literally being shown how your rights change from state to state because of the fact that you are gay. Why do you think being turned away at a doctor's or chik-fil-a for any reason is systemic discrimination? Did you know that if some white guy called me a dirty nigger at a bar, and then denied me a drink, it wouldn't be systematic/systemic discrimination either? Lol, it would just be plain old racism. It would be discrimination of some sort, but there would be NO systemic discrimination. Kind of like how some asshole calling you a faggot and turning you away from his shop wouldn't be systemic discrimination! It would just be plain old street homophobia.

Now that you've been taught what it 'systematic discrimination' doesn't mean (being turned away at some store). Would you like to address how your rights change as a gay man - because you are gay - the very moment you leave that red state you keep telling us about?

Last edited:

I wanted to answer this part of your post separately cause it's so mind bogglingly stupid:
There is no need to be nasty.
Congratulations, you've run into people who weren't homophobes or had no idea you were gay!
Well the abcense of these homophobes would indicate they aren't really prevalent or pervasive. Wouldn't they have to be for their to be systematic discrimination?

I don't know what one guy on the internet claiming to be 1) gay and 2) never being discriminated against is supposed to do for your argument.
For my argument, nothing. It just makes me doubt yours.

Show me more than annecdotal evidence that can't be verified one way or another and has no relevance to the thread.
Show me evidence that homosexuals are systematically discriminated against. Showing men abcences of laws criminalizing discrimination does not indicate that systemic discrimination exists.

There is no need to be nasty. Well the abcense of these homophobes would indicate they aren't really prevalent or pervasive. Wouldn't they have to be for their to be systematic discrimination?

I genuinely laughed at this. You gave an annedoctal account, that none of us here can verify, then indicated that the absence of homophobes in this life that nobody can verify means that systematic discrimination probably doesn't affect gays.

Congratulations. You've divided by zero. You created a conclusion, made up a tale about it on the internet that can't be verified in any way, and confirmed your conclusion. Meanwhile, your rights change as a gay man depending on the state you're in. Not a single state in the union can treat my marriage to my wife differently because we are of different ethnicities.

Do you understand why it is that I keep calling your arguments mind bogglingly stupid?

Of course you didn't explicitly say that, it would require you to be a coherent poster.
I didn't implicitly say that either. Nor did I say it in any way shape or form.

Also are the personal attacks really necessary?

You've made a convoluted and absurd point that ignores literally being shown how your rights change from state to state because of the fact that you are gay.
my gun rights change from state-to-state to. So why is it okay to discriminate against gun owners?

Why do you think being turned away at a doctor's or chik-fil-a for any reason is systemic discrimination?
Because that would be. But further I would think that if there was this systemic discrimination not laws protecting you from discrimination but discrimination I would have experienced it to some degree. It seems like it's pretty uncommon.

I didn't implicitly say that either. Nor did I say it in any way shape or form.

Of course you did. You literally pointed at not being turned from Chik-Fil-A (again which nobody can verify) as evidence that systematic discrimination doesn't exist. Just like you pointed at the anedoctal evidence of your alleged internet life as proof that gay people aren't being discriminated against.

Back
Top Bottom