• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

colorado town cancels 4th of july parade after local group promises armed march

I have too many questions. How do your police know who is legal or not to open carry? It would be totally irresponsible, IMO, to assume that all of these biker gangs with their well-known chapter on their back are not legal.
Yes, we do. Open carry is legal throughout SD, though it's more common to conceal while in a city and carry openly while in the hills. In fact most people feel that if you are concealing while in the hills that you are trying to hide something and are up to no good.

I have too many questions. How do your police know who is legal or not to open carry?
They ask.

For the most part, open carriers are left alone. Our cops have better things to do then harass regular people; it's part of why we have one of the lowest crime rates in the country. That being said, any cop has the right to ask to see my permit and ID, and I have to show it if asked. They do their thing, and I go on my way. No problem.

Last edited:
I can accept this on your worksite and on your private property. I can deal with CC outside of your property, as we will soon have in Illinois to become the last state to have CC. When it gets to CC in bar-type situations, then I have questions. Btw, do they open-carry at Sturgis, South Dakota?

SD is an open carry state while ND requires a permit to do so. Many state's laws concerning transport of a gun on a motorcycle are beyond complex, since most motorcycles have no "locked comparments or those not accessable to the operator". I carry my handgun in the inside pocket of my leather jacket, wrapped in cloth (or behind a potholder) to avoid "printing".

Why would you assume a marcher would not be carrying legally?

I'm not. I'm stating there is no need to have ammunition strictly for a parade march unless you want to fire shots for the crowd to hear, and in that case, use blanks.

I'm not. I'm stating there is no need to have ammunition strictly for a parade march unless you want to fire shots for the crowd to hear, and in that case, use blanks.

How would one know what ammunition was being carried? One can inflict a lot of damage with blanks and a golf ball launcher attached to an AR...

They would have ammunition for the general use of the gun, not strictly for the parade. I don't put special fuel in my car to take a trip, I put the same 'oll fuel I always do in it. I don't suspect people will be putting a special kind of electricity strictly for filming the parade, they'll use the same 'oll electricity for the general use of the phone they always do.

Yesterday I took my grandfather to Mt.Rushmore's lighting ceremony. I was armed. I didn't have ammunition strictly for visiting Mt.Rushmore, I had ammunition for the general use of the gun. In fact the gun was loaded with the exact same rounds it has in it every other day of the week, even today, right now.

Last edited:
How would one know what ammunition was being carried? One can inflict a lot of damage with blanks and a golf ball launcher attached to an AR...

and I've inflicted damage with a golf ball just hitting it with clubs ... FORE!!!!!!!! :golf

All I see in a quick look on "printing" is that the guns are printed. Why wouldn't gun owners worry about these causing assassinations, just for starters? Since this whole gun business is so complex, there is no doubt in my mind that we need one law only.
SD is an open carry state while ND requires a permit to do so. Many state's laws concerning transport of a gun on a motorcycle are beyond complex, since most motorcycles have no "locked comparments or those not accessable to the operator". I carry my handgun in the inside pocket of my leather jacket, wrapped in cloth (or behind a potholder) to avoid "printing".

All I see in a quick look on "printing" is that the guns are printed. Why wouldn't gun owners worry about these causing assassinations, just for starters? Since this whole gun business is so complex, there is no doubt in my mind that we need one law only.

Printing refers to the ability of someone to easily deduce that you have a gun under your clothing by shape recognition. There was intended to be one gun law, thus the constitutional right to keep and carry guns was reserved to the people directly, allowing neither the federal nor state gov'ts to infringe upon it.

The complexity stems mainly from the meaning of shall not be infringed which I take to mean shall not be abridged or denied but others (like Haymarket) say that infringed simply means cannot be denied thus any limits, short of denying that right to all, are merely said to be reasonable restrictions.

Either soldiers or police shoot. Not a crowd of protesters.

Armed protesting is not appropriate at a family holiday parade.

They shoot blanks. In my town, we used to have some guys dress up like Minute Men and shoot muskets (I think they were muskets) but they weren't actually loaded with real ammunition, and I don't think those were police men or soldiers either. They were volunteers.

I'll bet there are a LOT of armed people all around you. You just aren't aware of it, but God forbid you actually SEE a gun. So darn scary!

Some people are probably afraid of their own shadows too. Don't worry, the mean old unloaded guns aren't going to hurt you. :roll:

That's true. Only a few firearms show any kind of external indication of being loaded, so how would anyone know? Even if there's no mag in, there could still be one in the chamber. Cops don't have the right to search the gun since open carry is legal.

Think of what happens to your back pocket if you always carry your cell phone, or chew, or wallet in that pocket.....

images

...it's shape has "printed" onto your clothes. In a similar way, "printing" refers to when someone can easily tell that you have a concealed gun.

Hey anti-gun smokers: imagine if you could be charged criminally if someone could tell where you were carrying your tobacco. Or better yet, maybe you should be charged if you carry a tobacco product onto school ground, even if you never use it.

I as a non gun-owner am pretty damn naive . I never thought I'd see the day when one had to own to keep up with knowledge and/or protect yourself. Too many years in the classroom I guess. I like your state Jerry. I'm glad you're enjoying your Dad while you have him. I still hear stories from my in-laws about them shooting prarie dogs when they were young.
Think of what happens to your back pocket if you always carry your cell phone, or chew, or wallet in that pocket.....

images

...it's shape has "printed" onto your clothes. In a similar way, "printing" refers to when someone can easily tell that you have a concealed gun.

Hey anti-gun smokers: imagine if you could be charged criminally if someone could tell where you were carrying your tobacco. Or better yet, maybe you should be charged if you carry a tobacco product onto school ground, even if you never use it.

Last edited:
I as a non gun-owners am pretty damn naive . I never thought I'd see the day when one had to own to keep up with knowledge and/or protect yourself. Too many years in the classroom I guess. I like your state Jerry. I'm glad you're enjoying your Dad while you have him. I still hear stories from my in-laws about them shooting prarie dogs when they were young.
For me, carrying open is normal. So if I happen to join a march or parade while carrying openly, it doesn't occur to me that I should conceal, because everyone else is carrying open everywhere else. I don't see why a march should be given special treatment, that people should stop what they're doing and go out of their way to unload their arms before participating. That's just weird.

In Heller, SCOTUS says we get to carry and use arms for "traditionally lawful purposes". A peaceful demonstration is perhaps one of America's oldest 'lawful purposes'.

seems dumb to cancel it ... if they have a right to have their guns there, they should be able to do it ... or the city could have said that there were two parades ... one for gun carriers and one for those who didn't want their children around people who were carrying guns without background checks or a license, like a driver's license, showing they passed a test to see if they knew how to use it and use it safely ...

I see both sides of it, as I believe I do on most issues. It hurts me to see this Country divide on every last issue/subissue, sometines just for the sake of it. I'll certainly know a little more about carry on my trip west this summer.
Printing refers to the ability of someone to easily deduce that you have a gun under your clothing by shape recognition. There was intended to be one gun law, thus the constitutional right to keep and carry guns was reserved to the people directly, allowing neither the federal nor state gov'ts to infringe upon it.

The complexity stems mainly from the meaning of shall not be infringed which I take to mean shall not be abridged or denied but others (like Haymarket) say that infringed simply means cannot be denied thus any limits, short of denying that right to all, are merely said to be reasonable restrictions.

men with evil intent is sort of the epitome of a lefty:mrgreen:

That depends upon whether one refers to the Ruling Elite of the Left, which tends to be cynical, manipulative, cruel and vindictive, or upon the common herd which tends to be hyper-emotional, shallow, averse to analytical thought informed by real world considerations, historically delusional and spiteful to those who challenge their assumptions, no matter how fanciful.

The latter group may often not be so much evil, as the virtually mindless tools of evil.

That depends upon whether one refers to the Ruling Elite of the Left, which tends to be cynical, manipulative, cruel and vindictive, or upon the common herd which tends to be hyper-emotional, shallow, averse to analytical thought informed by real world considerations, historically delusional and spiteful to those who challenge their assumptions, no matter how fanciful.

The latter group may often not be so much evil, as the virtually mindless tools of evil.

true, lefties can often be characterized like a family

the control freaks (ie the politicians and their toadies) want to be everyone's parents while the sheeple never want to grow up and be children all their lives

seems dumb to cancel it ... if they have a right to have their guns there, they should be able to do it ... or the city could have said that there were two parades ... one for gun carriers and one for those who didn't want their children around people who were carrying guns without background checks or a license, like a driver's license, showing they passed a test to see if they knew how to use it and use it safely ...
And no one would be in the second parade because you have to have a permit to carry open in Colorado.

They didn't want a bunch of gun toters to ruin a holiday. Who needs the hassle families just want to have fun and celebrate with out all the drama.

This has been done it before with no issues. Why would one assume there would be drama, hassle or any less family celebration??? What if someone said they did not want a gay pride contingent to take part because they felt it would be too much drama and they just wanted to enjoy themselves with their families?? Would you support the right of the city to cancel that parade??

Well you can think that protesting with guns at a family parade is liberty, but threatening families with loaded guns at a holiday parade is pathetic.

You have a vivid imagination. As has been noted, these will be unloaded guns, but you continue to lie and say they are loaded. Now you say "threatening" which is another lie. One more and you will strike out.

I know you hate guns, but at least try and tell the truth.

Well guns crowds and booze is a recipe for disaster. particularly when those carrying guns are angry. Then when the anti gun protesters start arguing with the others the holiday is destroyed.

They can protest at the capital or any other day and time.

Who said anything about the marchers having booze? Strike three, you're out!

Back
Top Bottom