• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

colorado town cancels 4th of july parade after local group promises armed march

Guns used during world wars versus guns to defend oneself at home. More fruit. Wasn't it Vicksburg that didn't celebrate the July 4th holiday until the 1970's. This year, with the alcohol commercials and all, it amounts to at least a 4-day drunkfest starting Thursday.

Nor do fireworks that celebrate the carnage and blood spilled through the use of artillery and explosives. That is a travesty to give homage to death and destruction through the display of fireworks.

BTW, without guns and those willing to use them, those ideas would have been essentially moot. Evil men with guns (or machetes) and the willingness to use them, will always defeat men with noble ideas. Always.

Or getting mauled by a bear or other wild animal hiking, I agree. I need to get used to open carry and closed-carry that show "printing" before I am comfortable. I actually want to stay in Sydney, NE on the way out to visit the Cabela's.
You have a better chance of drowning, getting into a car accident, among many other things on your trip than you have of ever getting shot by any legal gun owner.

If I knew there would be no violence, I would pray for the march. Americans need to see what shows up, like biker gangs, with their weapons.

Do you know anything at all about gun owners? Westcliffe? As someone who has actually been there, hunted there, know people from there,. I think you have it slightly wrong. First, I am a CCW holder, am not a member of any biker group, let alone any gangs. Just an ordinary person who believes in taking care of myself. I do drive a pickup, does that count? I don.t make a big deal out of carrying. , but I often do. I would march in this parade if I were back in Colorado.
Second. The town lies halfway up the Wet Mountain Valley. You don't go through Westcliffe, you go to it. Follow the road and you end up dead ending at a string of 14K peaks. The area is mostly large ranches, and the population is mostly ranch people. There is also a large population (30%, according to Google) of retired military. There are few in the area that would be intimated by someone carrying an unloaded weapon in a parade. Guns are a way of life. The fact that the town picked up the parade after the C of C wussied out ought to tell you a lot.

My best guess is that a few people didn't like the protest and bitched. Not so much about the unloaded guns, but about protesting the new law. The CofC decided to get out of the controversy. I would also guess that if those biker gangs show up, they will be politely ushered out of town. Likewise, I anticipate no trouble that the locals can't handle.

I'll always be learning as much as I can every day heretofore. As always, and gladly would he learn and gladly teach. I don't know too many people who are not gun owners, beginning with my best man and all his family, continuing with my wife's whole family though she won't, and ending with a good chunk of my family. Though I've never been to Westcliffe, I've been to Colorado more than any other Rocky Mountain state since college since 1973. I love the Sangre De Cristo's all the way to Albuquerque. I'll be North of there again this summer, but not to live there, which I'm sure you can attest to more than I, just on guns for starters.
Do you know anything at all about gun owners? Westcliffe? As someone who has actually been there, hunted there, know people from there,. I think you have it slightly wrong. First, I am a CCW holder, am not a member of any biker group, let alone any gangs. Just an ordinary person who believes in taking care of myself. I do drive a pickup, does that count? I don.t make a big deal out of carrying. , but I often do. I would march in this parade if I were back in Colorado.
Second. The town lies halfway up the Wet Mountain Valley. You don't go through Westcliffe, you go to it. Follow the road and you end up dead ending at a string of 14K peaks. The area is mostly large ranches, and the population is mostly ranch people. There is also a large population (30%, according to Google) of retired military. There are few in the area that would be intimated by someone carrying an unloaded weapon in a parade. Guns are a way of life. The fact that the town picked up the parade after the C of C wussied out ought to tell you a lot.

My best guess is that a few people didn't like the protest and bitched. Not so much about the unloaded guns, but about protesting the new law. The CofC decided to get out of the controversy. I would also guess that if those biker gangs show up, they will be politely ushered out of town. Likewise, I anticipate no trouble that the locals can't handle.

Back
Top Bottom