• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

colorado town cancels 4th of july parade after local group promises armed march

If people want to express their support for the 2nd ammendment... why not protest?

I mean, is peaceful protest and entirely alien phenomenon to these people? Let me tell you, greater things can be accomplished through words than through guns. And brandishing them about just makes one look either stupid... or aggressive.

There will be a peaceful protest. It will be one that has open carry rifles and which is the point of the protest BTW.

In a related matter:

Colorado company to give away ammunition magazines ahead of ban | Fox News

With just days to go before Colorado's strict new gun control law is set to take effect, gun accessories manufacturer Magpul says it plans to distribute 1,500 30-round magazines to gun owners for free.

The company, which has vowed to leave the state over the law, will take part in what organizers are calling a "Farewell to Arms Festival," on Saturday in Glendale, KDVR.com reports.

Magpul plans to give away magazines to the first 1,500 attendees and participants will also be able to buy up to three magazines for $10 each, according to the report.

Read more: Colorado company to give away ammunition magazines ahead of ban | Fox News

And this is what I call upping the protest.

Last edited:
There will be a peaceful protest. It will be one that has open carry rifles and which is the point of the protest BTW.

Ok. What if there is a loonie in there and decides to open fire at a random time? then what? Dozens will be injured or killed because it's a "open carry rifle" parade. It seems stupid beyond belief.

Let me tell you, greater things can be accomplished through words than through guns.

Greater things can be carried out with words that are backed up by guns.

Ok. What if there is a loonie in there and decides to open fire at a random time? then what? Dozens will be injured or killed because it's a "open carry rifle" parade. It seems stupid beyond belief.

You seem to have an unreasonable fear that people who have fire arms will be loons. Since the article says that the members will not have ammo in them I am a little concerned that there may be a loon in the parade audience that may take advantage of that, so both of our unreasonable fears cancel out. Do you have any other objection to having a protest with unloaded weapons?

Greater things can be carried out with words that are backed up by guns.

Yes. words like: OMG, I'VE BEEN SHOOT BY A LOONATIC WITH A RIFLE BECAUSE I WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO GO TO A OPEN CARRY GUN PROTEST!

An armed parade has a thousand ways in which it can go wrong. All it takes is one loonie with a gun to participate in the parade and in a few seconds you could dozens of people fatally injured or killed.

And if it were an unarmed parade, all it would take if one lone gunman to walk up and accomplish the same thing.

Yes. words like: OMG, I'VE BEEN SHOOT BY A LOONATIC WITH A RIFLE BECAUSE I WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO GO TO A OPEN CARRY GUN PROTEST!

I do not believe anyone is forcing you to attend a parade that would include such. If you fear that such may happen it might be best to avoid it lest you might have a panic attack and do something you will forget.

You seem to have an unreasonable fear that people who have fire arms will be loons. Since the article says that the members will not have ammo in them I am a little concerned that there may be a loon in the parade audience that may take advantage of that, so both of our unreasonable fears cancel out. Do you have any other objection to having a protest with unloaded weapons?

Yes, the people who go there with good intentions will indeed, have unloaded weapons. But the loonatic that may attend too, may just hide some ammo and attend with that.

And if it were an unarmed parade, all it would take if one lone gunman to walk up and accomplish the same thing.

A bit harder since a gun is more visible. It is easier to scout for guns than to see a lot of guns and not know which is loaded.

I would have to say that cancelling the parade was an overreaction and that allowing people to march in an organized show that guns can be handles safely seems pretty reasonable to me. Unless there is some sort of law violation I don't know about for carrying the guns in the parade it seems like the right way to show your support for the presence of guns in society. The flier might have been worded a little oddly, but I do not see any reason to stop them from doing so, and i would have to actually side with the tea party on this one.

I feel unclean.

Right's right and wrong's wrong. What's to feel unclean about?

Yes, the people who go there with good intentions will indeed, have unloaded weapons. But the loonatic that may attend too, may just hide some ammo and attend with that.

I'm sure that the ones running the protest are not stupid and would check the weapons before the parade. And I would think the members would keep an eye out for such a person if only to avoid the consequences of such event occurring.

The laws that Colorado made were done out of fear and generates an illusion of safety but in doing so make the environs less safe since it will be assumed that guns are restricted. The people who you are concerned about do not obey such laws.

nothing is wrong with protesting a law.

it's just that some people were worried about the thought of armed protests happening in a 4th of July parade. It would have meant a lot more work for security.

Although not specifically covered in the Constitution, I believe the right to not to show up for the parade is covered. Those that are skeered of evil guns openly displayed in the manner of the first 4th of July parade could have their own parade if they so chose.

None of your arguments are valid reasons to deny Constitutional rights. Closing the parade due to guns geing present violates both the first and second amendments.

Although not specifically covered in the Constitution, I believe the right to not to show up for the parade is covered. Those that are skeered of evil guns openly displayed in the manner of the first 4th of July parade could have their own parade if they so chose.

None of your arguments are valid reasons to deny Constitutional rights. Closing the parade due to guns geing present violates both the first and second amendments.

The city is not required to spend tax money to throw a parade to give people a forum to protest.

The last unarmed parade in a gun free zone with a problem as you describe occurred a few weeks ago. Something about a couple of loonies who just brought pressure cookers instead.

The city is not required to spend tax money to throw a parade to give people a forum to protest.

No they are not, but the original sponsor was the C of 'C, and if I remember the story correctly, the town picked up the sponsorship and the show will go on.

It happens all the time after all. I could see the potential of a gun control advocate trying to provoke an incident in order to cause a few deaths to further the cause I suppose.
How about these scenarios. What if during the course of providing security for the event, well trained police officers were to open fire on a violent criminal and inadvertently shoot a dozen or so innocent bystanders (perhaps if they were limited to 7 round magazines we could prevent this from occuring. It would force them to be more responsible and accurate with their ammunition). Maybe they would inadvertently mistake unarmed innocent bystanders as a threat and shoot them as well. Hmmmmmm.......seems to me that the former two examples have actually occurred on several occasions. I don't seem to recall anything like your scenario occurring.
Does not mean it could not happen, but history shows it is not likely.

You have a very good point. But if you allow anyone a forum with government funds to advocate or protest for rights, then you should allow everyone. In this case, they could have said that they are celebrating their rights to own firearms and all would be well.

I would have to say that cancelling the parade was an overreaction and that allowing people to march in an organized show that guns can be handles safely seems pretty reasonable to me. Unless there is some sort of law violation I don't know about for carrying the guns in the parade it seems like the right way to show your support for the presence of guns in society. The flier might have been worded a little oddly, but I do not see any reason to stop them from doing so, and i would have to actually side with the tea party on this one.

I feel unclean.

Tererun? Is that you? Has someone hijacked your avatar?

You have a very good point. But if you allow anyone a forum with government funds to advocate or protest for rights, then you should allow everyone. In this case, they could have said that they are celebrating their rights to own firearms and all would be well.

They didn't want a bunch of gun toters to ruin a holiday. Who needs the hassle families just want to have fun and celebrate with out all the drama.

They didn't want a bunch of gun toters to ruin a holiday. Who needs the hassle families just want to have fun and celebrate with out all the drama.

Are you aware of exactly WHAT holiday is being celebrated? The 4th of July, or Independence Day, which celebrates our independence from Great Britain that occurred with the help of GUNS and armed citizens. What better place to demonstrate for Second Amendment rights?

Also, do you complain when gay protesters take part in the Boston St. Patrick's Day parade?

Are you aware of exactly WHAT holiday is being celebrated? The 4th of July, or Independence Day, which celebrates our independence from Great Britain that occurred with the help of GUNS and armed citizens. What better place to demonstrate for Second Amendment rights?

Also, do you complain when gay protesters take part in the Boston St. Patrick's Day parade?

Families want to be together celebrate not deal with armed protesters.

Families want to be together celebrate not deal with protesters.

Doesn't matter. It is an American right to protest, regardless of whether or not YOU like it.

When the State passed that law all that could be expected is drama.

Doesn't matter. It is an American right to protest, regardless of whether or not YOU like it.

They can still protest just no parade. Also the kids who don't get to celebrate know gun people who want to bring loaded weapons to a family parade is why they can't.

Back
Top Bottom