• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clinton IT aide Pagliano to plead Fifth in email case

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Clinton IT aide Pagliano to plead Fifth in email case | Fox News

The man who set up Hillary Clinton’s private email server will assert his Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination and refuse to answer questions over an open records lawsuit, according to court documents obtained Wednesday by Fox News.

Why would he need to plead the fifth? He only set up a server as instructed by Hillary Clinton.

Is he pleading the fifth for Hillary?

Why would he need to plead the fifth? He only set up a server as instructed by Hillary Clinton.

You'd have to ask him those questions. You don't know the depth or breadth of what he's done. People plead the 5th all the time and often because answering questions in one investigation could implicate their involvement in an unrelated crime. Martin Shkreli is a recent and widely known example.

You'd have to ask him those questions. You don't know the depth or breadth of what he's done. People plead the 5th all the time and often because answering questions in one investigation could implicate their involvement in an unrelated crime. Martin Shkreli is a recent and widely known example.

I think the OP is stating that pleading the 5th is a pretty clear confirmation that a crime was committed, either by Pagliano or by Clinton, or by both. He is also pointing out that Hillary is the one who would be accountable for the USE of such a server, not the person who installed the machine unless there was a contract which required a certain amount of security/encryption that was not fulfilled.

I think the OP is stating that pleading the 5th is a pretty clear confirmation that a crime was committed, either by Pagliano or by Clinton, or by both. He is also pointing out that Hillary is the one who would be accountable for the USE of such a server, not the person who installed the machine unless there was a contract which required a certain amount of security/encryption that was not fulfilled.

That's why our founders put the Fifth Amendment in our Constitution, to protect criminals, and not to protect those authorities who may abuse their power.

Amirite?

That's why our founders put the Fifth Amendment in our Constitution, to protect criminals, and not to protect those authorities who may abuse their power.

Amirite?

I can't tell if your response was meant to be sarcastic, but I read it that way.
The 5th amendment was meant to protect people from tyranny, in which coerced or forced testimony could wrongly convict a person. You are free to exercise this right, but it often comes across (rightly) as a dodge. Consider the following...
"You are not being accused of any crime, but we are interested in the server you provided for Mrs. Clinton which we believe she used inappropriately. Can you tell us the specifications of that server?"
"I plead the 5th."
With a pretty innocent question, pleading the fifth betrays a guilty conscience. The wording of the clause is "be a witness against himself". They are asking questions about Hillary, not about him, so being a witness against himself suggests that his answers would be incriminating.

He's probably taking the 5th because he's afraid the questions are outside the scope of his immunity deal with the FBI, or he may also have been instructed as part of the deal with the FBI not to divulge certain things he has testified to.

IWO, if he gets tripped up and his answer conflicts with what he told the FBI, his immunity could be revoked and/or he could be treated as a hostile witness in further interrogations.

It sucks to be him.

I can't tell if your response was meant to be sarcastic, but I read it that way.
The 5th amendment was meant to protect people from tyranny, in which coerced or forced testimony could wrongly convict a person. You are free to exercise this right, but it often comes across (rightly) as a dodge. Consider the following...
"You are not being accused of any crime, but we are interested in the server you provided for Mrs. Clinton which we believe she used inappropriately. Can you tell us the specifications of that server?"
"I plead the 5th."
With a pretty innocent question, pleading the fifth betrays a guilty conscience. The wording of the clause is "be a witness against himself". They are asking questions about Hillary, not about him, so being a witness against himself suggests that his answers would be incriminating.

You just made up that question. lol

Judicial Watch is a rabid, disgusting, Right Wing junkdog that has been abusing the system and making **** up out of whole cloth or telling halftruths for over 20 years now.

They can go pound sand.

The Supreme Court ::: "a witness may have a reasonable fear of prosecution and yet be innocent of any wrongdoing. The privilege serves to protect the innocent who otherwise might be ensnared by ambiguous circumstances."

It's your constitutional right to plead the 5th whether you're innocent or guilty.

Yeah, they do it all the time. Especially in the government where the most egregious liars with nefarious agendas reside.

If immunity comes with testifying, and now he's pleading the 5th, so I suppose his immunity will soon be rescinded?

I can only imagine that someone's squeezing his toes and making him plead the 5th, rescinding his immunity and exposing him to criminal charges.
I wonder who's squeezing his toes?

If immunity comes with testifying, and now he's pleading the 5th, so I suppose his immunity will soon be rescinded?

I can only imagine that someone's squeezing his toes and making him plead the 5th, rescinding his immunity and exposing him to criminal charges.
I wonder who's squeezing his toes?

It's likely Pagliano was given "Queen for a Day" immunity from the FBI.

Anything he says after that could be used to prosecute him.

That type of immunity was used a lot in the Abramoff scandal.

I'm pointing out that the OP is just a hypothesis. Factually, only Pagliano and his attorney know why he invoked the 5th amendment. The rest is speculation or unsupported assumptions based on other unsupported assumptions at best. We don't even know if his fear of prosecution is centered around anything even related to the investigation.

What was that old saying? Oh yeah, sleep with dogs and you will get fleas.

I would plead the fifth too. Is that or he might find himself sleeping with the fishes.

I'm pointing out that the OP is just a hypothesis. Factually, only Pagliano and his attorney know why he invoked the 5th amendment. The rest is speculation or unsupported assumptions based on other unsupported assumptions at best. We don't even know if his fear of prosecution is centered around anything even related to the investigation.

Look, it's irresponsible of them not to speculate!

None of us know the full story, I agree. For instance, he may have a restraining order against him that would have prevented him from being on her premises which are too close to the house of some women he stalked, in which case his testimony could be used to show that he violated that arrangement. There are a whole host of possibilities... the vast of majority of which point to SOME wrongdoing.

None of us know the full story, I agree. For instance, he may have a restraining order against him that would have prevented him from being on her premises which are too close to the house of some women he stalked, in which case his testimony could be used to show that he violated that arrangement. There are a whole host of possibilities... the vast of majority of which point to SOME wrongdoing.

It was reported earlier he didn't claim some of the money he got for his IT work on his federal disclosure forms.

It's possible there could be some of the issue he may rightfully be concerned about getting in trouble about -- having nothing to do with Clinton.

If he were to go to trial for whatever reason, however, we are all also free to think, speculate, in whatever way we like about why one would be pleading the 5th.

Cool, but it would all be thinking, speculation and nothing substantial at the end of the day. :)

People plead the 5th to avoid criminalizing themselves.

Innocent people tell the truth

He should have a right to plead the 5th. He also should be removed from any contact with the State Department since he doesn't want to talk about his job while there. I believe he works for a contractor that does work for the State Department.

Possibly. But I am sure he is also doing it for himself. At the time he worked for the State Department's IRM (Information Resource Management) office. I worked closely with those folks during my embassy days. Clinton may be able to claim she was ignorant. Pagliano can't. There is a zero percent chance that a member of State's IRM wouldn't know that setting up a private server like that was against regulations. No chance at all.

People plead the 5th to avoid criminalizing themselves.

Innocent people tell the truth

The Supreme Court ::: "a witness may have a reasonable fear of prosecution and yet be innocent of any wrongdoing. The privilege serves to protect the innocent who otherwise might be ensnared by ambiguous circumstances."

Back
Top Bottom