• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Civil War: Fought over Secession or Slavery?

Here's another lil factoid re: Civil War soldiers - both North and South.

If you took all the enlistments combined

civilwarenlistment_zpskiet80wu.jpg

Facts - The Civil War (U.S. National Park Service)

...it still is less than the total slave population during the Civil War.
Yeah, so...? Means about 1 American had their life ended early for every 6 slaves freed into black codes, jim crow, kkk, segregation... your point?

Yeah, so...? Means about 1 American had their life ended early for every 6 slaves freed into black codes, jim crow, kkk, segregation... your point?

I love how you talk about the black codes, jim crow, the KKK, and segregation un-ironically. Even though they were all measures instituted by the ex-Confederate, ex-slaveholding, white supremacist political class of the South after the armies of reconstruction withdrew. Furthermore you seem to be implying that it was better under the system of chattel slavery. Amazing.

The number and value of slaves continued to grow in the slave states all whilst the slave states agitated furiously for its expansion both at home into new territories and abroad into new locales like Cuba and the Caribbean. Linking it to international trends is irrelevant since it isn't the issue we're discussing.

As for comparing chattel slavery to the slave states being 'forced' to accept the free and fair election of Abraham Lincoln as President of the United States all I can say is you really need to call the Wahhhmbulance.

The rest of us: All you had to do to avoid the consequences of this action was avoid breaking the law.

You: Thats just like slavery! Thats what we said to our slaves! We're the same!
How stupid are those thoughts? I mean really, are you faking this obtuseness or...?

The decline of slavery worldwide, and our country was on that planet at that very time, is more than pertinent to our discussion as slavery being doomed. Why fight a disruptive war only to achieve de facto slavery for another 100 years?

Abe Lincoln made statements that led to the secession. I do not begrudge him his views on slavery, they coincide with my own. However, the fact that he was so resolute drove the South to attempt secession, as was their right. You cannot force someone or something to stay in a relationship they do not want to be in. We would call that false imprisonment/illegal detainment if you tried that with someone today.

What laws were broken? False analogy.

well that was a total non-answer.

You said slavery was ending on it's own accord.

How would it have ended? It continued for seventy years after the constitution was written.

There were near four million slaves in the states below the Mason / Dixon line.

The CSA had a total population of 9 million.

Some states had majority slave populations. How? How would it have ended?

There was murder and mayhem and horrific battles in Kansas and Missouri going on for years before by the slavery and anti-slavery factions, and the new territories soon to be admitted were eyed with a twinkle, as the South hoped to make them slave Territories. They were even seeking to expand Slavery to Mexico, Cuba, Latin America...

They already claimed part of Arizona & NM territory.

It was all about expanding it -- and slavery was written in perpetuity in the CSA Constitution.

Now tell me just *how* would slavery have ended?

How?
Economics, study economics.

Both and more. It can't be reduced to something so simple. It wasn't a simple issue.

It's like asking people why we conducted Operation Iraqi Freedom. You can get at least a dozen different answers as to why people felt the government did it, and probably more for why some do and/or did think it should have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, we understand that you can increase the font size, that does not preclude all the other causes listed in the speech. You may ignore them all you want, freedom of speech is a Constitutional right and willful ignorance and blindness not a punishable crime either.

What's funny is the man tells us in the clearest terms possible what is the key principle of this new government, on what the foundation is laid, the cornerstone rests, etc. and you're saying - pay no attention to what he actually said, you should focus on the little stuff, the stuff he tells us in his own words is secondary, less important, effectively side issues, to the foundation of slavery.

Immediate means right here, right now. Other economic and Constitutional grievances are incorporated in this extemporaneous speech. If you choose not to read them or ignore them, do not put it down to your sophistication, but rather a deliberate refusal to face the facts placed easily before you. You keep pushing slavery as the only cause, I keep acknowledging it was a cause, even the seminal immediate cause, but then you want to disdainfully disregard all the rest.

We've all read the speech and take from it the clear message - it's really all about slavery, and white supremacy. It is hard to see how the man could have made the point more clearly.

You may have well just held up a sign that says "I surrender" with that one.
Hardly. But I am not willing to waste more time to explain something to someone that will not think for themselves. Someone who has no sense of complexity, sees only what the master tells them to see, has no inner curiosity to discover... and is comfortable that way.

I tried sufficiently to spark thought, seems there is no kindling though.

Hardly. But I am not willing to waste more time to explain something to someone that will not think for themselves. Someone who has no sense of complexity, sees only what the master tells them to see, has no inner curiosity to discover... and is comfortable that way.

I tried sufficiently to spark thought, seems there is no kindling though.

You can't answer the questions. Admit it. We can all see you floundering.

You can't say what would have happened to the 4 million slaves, in some states that were MAJORITY slave populations --

And your simplistic "economics" as some sort of response is beyond laughable.

Slaves were high value property. Literally billions. More than a third of Southern households owned slaves. The secession documents themselves show the Southerners valuing their slaves at four billion. (then dollars, not price adjusted).
And they most definitely weren't going to give them up.
Their whole goal was expansion.

Slavery was literally the lifeblood of the South. Now think of those slaves like you do your car (in today terms) -- You PAID for it.
A major purchase.

In what world do these millions of property owning families -- with billions of dollars of property -- just say, meh, so what if the free market values you at thousands (yes, that was the going price in the 60's -- not price adjusted for that time --actual price) !

So what? Imma just gonna let you free. ?? [Or in car terms, here, I'm gonna just say goodbye car. So what if you're worth thousands...]

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. In no world does that happen.

And just in case you doubted me the going price of slaves in the 1860's -- here, this is from my Archives, from a Southern Newspaper:

slaveslaes_zpse93eb862.jpg

So you imagine millions would give up billions of property -- is that it?

Or what? Just say: Economics.

Again?

You are in way over your head, and you should consider backing out if you wish to maintain face....it's quite obvious.

Last edited:
What's funny is the man tells us in the clearest terms possible what is the key principle of this new government, on what the foundation is laid, the cornerstone rests, etc. and you're saying - pay no attention to what he actually said, you should focus on the little stuff, the stuff he tells us in his own words is secondary, less important, effectively side issues, to the foundation of slavery.

We've all read the speech and take from it the clear message - it's really all about slavery, and white supremacy. It is hard to see how the man could have made the point more clearly.
Yes, Stevens was ONE man that said something extemporaneously... and so you should, we all should blindly just accept that, not study the history, not look at the Declarations of Cause, just take that one statement, disregard all his others as well and all because it fits well the accepted confirmation bias. Accept without further investigation that sure, that was all there was, nothing else, no overreach by the Feds, no taking sides with the Northern manufacturing, banking and shipping interests, no protective tariff problem, nah, that is all hokum, never really happened. They just put it in all those little items in those important documents, fairly simultaneously, because they were all in cahoots, trying to hoodwink the thorough historians who actually study the documents, understand the times.

There were no stiff penalties that advantaged the North, forced southerners to pay high prices for goods they did not manufacture locally, no Nullification crisis, none of that ever happened, right? There are no reserved powers in the Constitution, that is all hogwash, too, am I right? Certainly no 10th amendment. There were also no Anti-Federalists who were concerned about these very things, no Hartford Convention with Northern secession bandied about due to the threat of an overpowering Federal government. All just lies to help those damnable Confederate sympathizers, those folks that still want slavery in the US. That sum it up, does it?

You folks on that side are a real trip.

Yes, Stevens was ONE man that said something extemporaneously... and so you should, we all should blindly just accept that, not study the history, not look at the Declarations of Cause, just take that one statement, disregard all his others as well and all because it fits well the accepted confirmation bias. Accept without further investigation that sure, that was all there was, nothing else, no overreach by the Feds, no taking sides with the Northern manufacturing, banking and shipping interests, no protective tariff problem, nah, that is all hokum, never really happened. They just put it in all those little items in those important documents, fairly simultaneously, because they were all in cahoots, trying to hoodwink the thorough historians who actually study the documents, understand the times.

There were no stiff penalties that advantaged the North, forced southerners to pay high prices for goods they did not manufacture locally, no Nullification crisis, none of that ever happened, right? There are no reserved powers in the Constitution, that is all hogwash, too, am I right? Certainly no 10th amendment. There were also no Anti-Federalists who were concerned about these very things, no Hartford Convention with Northern secession bandied about due to the threat of an overpowering Federal government. All just lies to help those damnable Confederate sympathizers, those folks that still want slavery in the US. That sum it up, does it?

The South seceded to defend slavery, and for no other reason.

I love how you talk about the black codes, jim crow, the KKK, and segregation un-ironically. Even though they were all measures instituted by the ex-Confederate, ex-slaveholding, white supremacist political class of the South after the armies of reconstruction withdrew. Furthermore you seem to be implying that it was better under the system of chattel slavery. Amazing.
Well, with your limited powers of observation and nuance, I am sure that is the picture you paint in your mind. You refuse to look at the whole picture and want to blame me for recognizing that fact.

Sorry, I am not your whipping boy. Instead I am the guy that whipped ya... you are just not cognizant of the fact.

Bottom line is there was really only one sufficient issue and that was slavery/white supremacy, and the reason for that is that the entire economy and the wealth of nearly everyone with power was tied up in $billions in human flesh. Lincoln and the North threatened their economy, their forturnes and their very way of life in a very real way.

This is no secret and those at the time in many writings and speeches were not a bit hesitant to say this. You want to dismiss Stevens as merely ONE man but he was #2 in the Confederacy. He had the pulse of those following him, surely, and spoke for them. There is simply no evidence his words didn't reflect the sentiments of others and reams of evidence that nothing he said was the least bit controversial at that time. Sure, there were other issues and they were either directly tied to the issue of slavery or were side issues - real disagreements but obviously insufficient to fight a war over.

At any rate, I don't have much interest in delving into this much further. It's Lost Cause nonsense and in my experience Lost Cause types aren't going to change their minds and I'm sure not going to ignore the VAST majority of the evidence and change mine.

You can't answer the questions. Admit it. We can all see you floundering.

You can't say what would have happened to the 4 million slaves, in some states that were MAJORITY slave populations --

And your simplistic "economics" as some sort of response is beyond laughable.

Slaves were high value property. Literally billions. More than a third of Southern households owned slaves. The secession documents themselves show the Southerners valuing their slaves at four billion. (then dollars, not price adjusted).
And they most definitely weren't going to give them up.
Their whole goal was expansion.

Slavery was literally the lifeblood of the South. Now think of those slaves like you do your car (in today terms) -- You PAID for it.
A major purchase.

In what world do these millions of property owning families -- with billions of dollars of property -- just say, meh, so what if the free market values you at thousands (yes, that was the going price in the 60's -- not price adjusted for that time --actual price) !

So what? Imma just gonna let you free. ?? [Or in car terms, here, I'm gonna just say goodbye car. So what if you're worth thousands...]

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. In no world does that happen.

And just in case you doubted me the going price of slaves in the 1860's -- here, this is from my Archives, from a Southern Newspaper:

slaveslaes_zpse93eb862.jpg

So you imagine millions would give up billions of property -- is that it?

Or what? Just say: Economics.

Again?

You are in way over your head, and you should consider backing out if you wish to maintain face....it's quite obvious.
READ THE THREAD BUDDY.

I already likened it to owning, not a car, more like a single engine plane, most of us cannot and do not afford such. And less than a 10th of Southerners owned slaves. As of the 1860 Census, 393,975 named persons held 3,950,546 unnamed slaves. There were about 9 million people in the south, almost 4 million of them slaves...which leave a little over 5 million whites. 5 million into 394K = almost 8% of the south as slave owners. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_United_States#Distribution_of_slaveholders

You won't get me to defend slavery as an institution but you will get agreement from me on the fact that the Constitution under the 5th amendment requires just compensation for private property taken. These indeed were high dollar values we are talking about. We would not be talking about "millions of property owning families", as indicated there were about 394K owners by the 1860 census.

And you are on one of the right tracks speaking of the economics of the matter. See, at least now you are actually exploring the matter. Now why not look into the protective tariff advantaging Northern manufacturers at the expense of Southerners... see my previous posts on all this. This is also economics, yano? No? I didn't expect you could.

Gaugingcatenate is getting whipped from one end of this thread to the other but cant let it go because of an emotive need to exorcise the Confederacy of its basis in slavery. You can see it shine through with his sleight of hand castigation of Lincoln and the subtle inference that it was the rest of the Republic, not the South, that was responsible for the era of racism and segregation that followed the war.

READ THE THREAD BUDDY.

I already likened it to owning, not a car, more like a single engine plane, most of us cannot and do not afford such. And less than a 10th of Southerners owned slaves. As of the 1860 Census, 393,975 named persons held 3,950,546 unnamed slaves. There were about 9 million people in the south, almost 4 million of them slaves...which leave a little over 5 million whites. 5 million into 394K = almost 8% of the south as slave owners. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_United_States#Distribution_of_slaveholders

Goodness, that's just staggeringly wrong or misleading, and either way it kills your credibility.

Sure, maybe less than 10% owned slaves, but in a family of 5, wife, husband, three kids, at that time obviously ALL property would be held by the father. Any accounting attempting to be honest would either count all five in that family as slave owners or count households owning slaves. The only reason to count individuals owning slaves is to intentionally lowball how widespread slave ownership was in the South. In Mississippi nearly half of all families owned a slave.

1860 Census Results

READ THE THREAD BUDDY.

You won't get me to defend slavery as an institution but you will get agreement from me on the fact that the Constitution under the 5th amendment requires just compensation for private property taken. These indeed were high dollar values we are talking about. We would not be talking about "millions of property owning families", as indicated there were about 394K owners by the 1860 census.

And you are on one of the right tracks speaking of the economics of the matter. See, at least now you are actually exploring the matter. see my previous posts on all this. ....This is also economics, yano? No? I didn't expect you could.

How about you quit talking down to me? I have 3 decades in the direct field of history, as a profession and it's obvious you are plucking out your Lost Cause jumbo like a teenager after reading "The South Was Right."

Let cut this roast...

There were 393,975 slaveowners.

A bit over half of those 9 million were free whites.

Nearly 4 million slaves.

Now, follow me here: There were only a little over one million families in the South.

That's all. One million families.

Break that down in your calculating bubble.

Hell, there was only a little over 5 million families in the entire US in 1860.

Does that figure stun you?

When you consider more than one on four rebels who took up arms against the North came from slaveholding families (and one in two in a few other states) it presents a different picture.

One could say, yes, well, those were families - just because pop owned the slave, doesn't mean the boys did too.

However, that slave labor on their property, in some form or another, helped provide them food, shelter and money, and also helped formulate their future wealth they could, and most often did, inherit.

Slave labor provided so much of just about everything when it came to the commerce of the South.

And you've yet to show HOW slavery was "dying out" and how these people who owned 4 BILLION dollars worth of wealth wer going to just give it up -- because Lincoln tried compensated emancipation with the border state, a locale where slavery was not nearly as enmeshed as the deep south, and they would have none of it.

They wanted to KEEP their slaves. And were willing to die to the bloody death to maintain and expand it.
Now why not look into the protective tariff advantaging Northern manufacturers at the expense of Southerners...
The tariffs had been historically low. You should know this. The Morrill tariff would likely not have passed if the southern ****ers had not left the damn congress after Lincoln had been elected.

Here's a graph to gaze your eyes up, next time you think about saying it was the South who was more affected by tariffs.

Just who was paying the bulk of the tariff revenues?

Furthermore, let's listen to Alexander Stephens again....an address to the Georgia legislature in November 1860:

"The next evil that my friend complained of, was the Tariff. Well, let us look at that for a moment.

About the time I commenced noticing public matters, this question was agitating the country almost as fearfully as the Slave question now is. In 1832, when I was in college, South Carolina was ready to nullify or secede from the Union on this account. And what have we seen?

The tariff no longer distracts the public councils. Reason has triumphed. The present tariff was voted for by Massachusetts and South Carolina. The lion and the lamb lay down together-- every man in the Senate and House from Massachusetts and South Carolina, I think, voted for it, as did my honorable friend himself.

And if it be true, to use the figure of speech of my honorable friend, that every man in the North, that works in iron and brass and wood, has his muscle strengthened by the protection of the government, that stimulant was given by his vote, and I believe every other Southern man. So we ought not to complain of that...Yes, and Massachusetts, with unanimity, voted with the South to lessen them, and they were made just as low as Southern men asked them to be, and those are the rates they are now at."

Alex Stephen's Speech to the Georgia Legislature

How about you quit talking down to me? I have 3 decades in the direct field of history, as a profession and it's obvious you are plucking out your Lost Cause jumbo like a teenager after reading "The South Was Right."

Let cut this roast...

There were 393,975 slaveowners.

A bit over half of those 9 million were free whites.

Nearly 4 million slaves.

Now, follow me here: There were only a little over one million families in the South.

That's all. One million families.

Break that down in your calculating bubble.

Hell, there was only a little over 5 million families in the entire US in 1860.

Does that figure stun you?

When you consider more than one on four rebels who took up arms against the North came from slaveholding families (and one in two in a few other states) it presents a different picture.

One could say, yes, well, those were families - just because pop owned the slave, doesn't mean the boys did too.

However, that slave labor on their property, in some form or another, helped provide them food, shelter and money, and also helped formulate their future wealth they could, and most often did, inherit.

Slave labor provided so much of just about everything when it came to the commerce of the South.

And you've yet to show HOW slavery was "dying out" and how these people who owned 4 BILLION dollars worth of wealth wer going to just give it up -- because Lincoln tried compensated emancipation with the border state, a locale where slavery was not nearly as enmeshed as the deep south, and they would have none of it.

They wanted to KEEP their slaves. And were willing to die to the bloody death to maintain and expand it.
The tariffs had been historically low. You should know this. The Morrill tariff would likely not have passed if the southern ****ers had not left the damn congress after Lincoln had been elected.

Here's a graph to gaze your eyes up, next time you think about saying it was the South who was more affected by tariffs.

Just who was paying the bulk of the tariff revenues?

Wreckt.

Subtract slavery and there is no Civil War.

true, but if the North's entire economy was dependent on slavery there wouldn't have been a civil war either. One side wasn't "better" than the other, it was simply not economically important to them.

and the North did not go to war to free the slaves, which someone might assume from your statement. If the war had ended and the South had kept their slaves, the north still would have declared victory. wouldn't you agree?

I'm saying this isn't the morality play the libtards around here are trying to frame it to be. The north acted in their best interest, so did the south, free slaves or no free slaves. If anything it's the RELIGIOUS sect of society which should receive the most praise for ending slavery, because they were the first ones and the most ardent supporters of freeing slaves. Ironic, since the liberals of today can't STAND religious people and refuse to give them credit for a damn thing. but liberal thinking is full of ironies I have found.

Bottom line is there was really only one sufficient issue and that was slavery/white supremacy, and the reason for that is that the entire economy and the wealth of nearly everyone with power was tied up in $billions in human flesh. Lincoln and the North threatened their economy, their forturnes and their very way of life in a very real way.

This is no secret and those at the time in many writings and speeches were not a bit hesitant to say this. You want to dismiss Stevens as merely ONE man but he was #2 in the Confederacy. He had the pulse of those following him, surely, and spoke for them. There is simply no evidence his words didn't reflect the sentiments of others and reams of evidence that nothing he said was the least bit controversial at that time. Sure, there were other issues and they were either directly tied to the issue of slavery or were side issues - real disagreements but obviously insufficient to fight a war over.

At any rate, I don't have much interest in delving into this much further. It's Lost Cause nonsense and in my experience Lost Cause types aren't going to change their minds and I'm sure not going to ignore the VAST majority of the evidence and change mine.
Keep repeating the mantra, or try being the little train that could if it pleases you. I cannot make the blind see, I can only offer what is obvious and those that choose sight are welcome aboard.

The rest can just walk right off that plank at any time. Why not look at the inaugural address given by the South's #1 guy... might think ol' Jeff Davis would, you know, mention something as important as the ONLY CAUSE for separation... well, if it indeed was the only cause. Apparently it didn't seem to cross his mind as it is not mentioned even once in his speech. Jefferson Davis' Inaugural Address

Hmmmm, but yanno, He does somehow get around to mentioning the fact that the government derives its power from the consent of the governed, talks about the Constitution and how the Confederates will not really change it, just more, you know, abide by it faithfully, preserving rights accorded by it, "that delegated powers are to be strictly construed ".

But of course, Jeff Davis would not have a clue as to what the secession was all about, you know, being the top dog and all. Yours, my brother, is the Lost Cause, mine has been a search for the actual truth [ I am a Yankee ]and finding all the evidence which YOU ignore. It is quite apparent that if it does not fit your pre-supposed template, then its automatically trivial and worthless. I get the close mindedness, just don't understand where it behooves one to be that closed minded.

Back
Top Bottom