• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Christopher Hitchens: Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Acknowledging a point against your own side is hard. Being stupid is easier

Yeah, and notice what he said -- that he "can believe" that Mother Teresa kicked puppies and ate babies, thus proving my post as it applies to him.

It's not even a matter of "sides," though, because a certain type of person on all "sides" does it. He's that type.

Acknowledging a point against your own side is hard. Being stupid is easier

I know, so many of you prove that every day. Or perhaps it is simply willful ignorance? Easier to pretend to not know than acknowledge one's beliefs are false and unfounded in reality.

There is a big difference, which you clearly missed, between missing and ignoring.

As I said, you did it willfully.

Meanwhile, your behavior and mindset is identical to that of the Westboro Baptist Church asswipes. You just have different scriptures.

I know, so many of you prove that every day. Or perhaps it is simply willful ignorance? Easier to pretend to not know than acknowledge one's beliefs are false and unfounded in reality.

Ah, but you don't "pretend not to know". You have the supreme arrogance to declare that there isn't a supreme being when in reality we really don't know.

Yeah, and notice what he said -- that he "can believe" that Mother Teresa kicked puppies and ate babies, thus proving my post as it applies to him.

It's not even a matter of "sides," though, because a certain type of person on all "sides" does it. He's that type.

The annoying dude that ruins stuff for everybody because nobody wants to listen to his inane rambling about how Hilary/Trump/etc is evil incarnate?

Apparently sarcasm is also wasted on you...or goes unrecognized.

The annoying dude that ruins stuff for everybody because nobody wants to listen to his inane rambling about how Hilary/Trump/etc is evil incarnate?

No, the type I mentioned in my post -- the type who thinks that if you have a different worldview from theirs, you are TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY EVIL.

Ah, but you don't "pretend not to know". You have the supreme arrogance to declare that there isn't a supreme being when in reality we really don't know.

In the total absence of any evidence for said being, there is no reason to believe in one and thus saying their isn't one is merely acknowledging reality. Were there a shred, an iota, a nano-bit of evidence for a god, then one might be accused of some arrogance. Recognizing of course that a little arrogance is OK so long as it is justified. ;)

No, the type I mentioned in my post -- the type who thinks that if you have a different worldview from theirs, you are TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY EVIL.

That is not me. That is how the religious usually define folks. I usually only use the word evil in conjunction with religion and especially the most corrupt and vile organization in history the RCC. Trump is stupid and arrogant in the extreme. Clinton is corrupt.

If I did, it would be about as legit as the links you've been posting.

But then, I don't have any need to make people I disagree with into absolute monsters.

I link to know facts. Your refusal to face reality is your choice. Those monsters made themselves such, not me.

As I said, you did it willfully.

Meanwhile, your behavior and mindset is identical to that of the Westboro Baptist Church asswipes. You just have different scriptures.

There is no comparison really save what you wish to believe. Them baptists live in a world of imaginary beings, mythical monsters hatred and unfounded paranoid fears. They are xians after all. I live in the real world and suffer the slings and arrows of outraged xians inflamed by having their favourite fairly tales revealed for what they are...fairy tales. Fortunately I have the skin of a rhinocerous and their metaphorical slings and arrows simply bounce harmlessly off my metaphorical armour. :)

I link to know facts. Your refusal to face reality is your choice. Those monsters made themselves such, not me.

You didn't link to much any "facts." You linked to unsourced opinions and suppositions.

You believe your unproven scripture without question because it makes you feel better about your life, and according to this:

Recognizing of course that a little arrogance is OK so long as it is justified. ;)

It makes you feel superior.

Your mindset is identical to that of the worst of the religious.

You'll never admit that -- not here, and certainly not to yourself, at least not until you acquire considerably more wisdom than you currently exhibit -- but it's nonetheless true.

But that all is, of course, off-topic. The point's made, and you've been very helpful in (unwittingly) making it, so I'm not going to bother much with you hereafter. Later, hater.

You didn't link to much any "facts." You linked to unsourced opinions and suppositions.

Um, pretty sure they all had "sources" attached. Like the woman who worked for the old bag for years and did a tell-all. Her name was there, that is a source. The fellows who wrote about what really went on in Kolkata, their names were on those pieces. In case you were unaware, those are "sources". First-hand experience is evidence, not opinion.

You believe your unproven scripture without question because it makes you feel better about your life, and according to this:

It makes you feel superior.

Well gosh. It is difficult not to feel superior to adults who insist something like the bible is true what with talking snakes, men swallowed by fish and not getting digested-do you know how strong those juices are?-whole races of people springing from two people without any inbreeding despite the fact the only woman for the two sons to have sex with was Mom. I mean, how can one not feel superior to folks believing such nonsense?

Your mindset is identical to that of the worst of the religious.

Fight fire with fire.

You'll never admit that -- not here, and certainly not to yourself, at least not until you acquire considerably more wisdom than you currently exhibit -- but it's nonetheless true.

But that all is, of course, off-topic. The point's made, so I'm not going to bother much with you hereafter. Later, hater.

:lamo I am wise enough to know the bible is a crock of fecal matter, is full of lies, hatred, child murder, rapes, women hate and institutionalized ignorance. How about you?

Including the all caps.

In the total absence of any evidence for said being, there is no reason to believe in one and thus saying their isn't one is merely acknowledging reality. Were there a shred, an iota, a nano-bit of evidence for a god, then one might be accused of some arrogance. Recognizing of course that a little arrogance is OK so long as it is justified. ;)

It's not justified though. Hell, it's not even close to being "justified".

Human science doesn't even know for sure why some people are gay. There are plenty of diseases that we don't know the cure for. We don't know where other life exists in the universe or whether or not it's visited Earth.

That's three rather obvious examples of matters where human science has been unable to confirm a solution. If we can't even solve those mysteries, how exactly are we supposed to say there's no God?

Unqualified arrogance doesn't make a strong case.

Back
Top Bottom