• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Christian Mingle and other dating sites MUST allow same sex matches

maybe the parents of some of your first grade students don't want to have their students taught with members of another race

if your presentation is valid then so is the parents'

My school isn't a private business.

because blue eyed people are not found to be a Constitutionally protected group

Why not? Why do you support a Constitution that only protects some?

There must be a basis for the claim, and not a frivolous one, for discrimination to be found.

Do you believe that all flag companies must produce rainbow flags, whether or not to do so would be uneconomical for their business model?
if flag companies offer to make flags to the buyers' specifications, then yes, they would be in violation for refusing to make a KKK flag, or one for the Black Panthers
now, having been a business owner, not wanting certain repeat business, those flags might not be very well constructed, especially for the very high price required to compel me to make them

There are lots of other examples of frivolous "rights" that any **** disturbing fool could pursue. That doesn't mean courts should humour the idiocy.

I can imagine the people who died in pursuit of gay rights over the years, just as Martin Luther King in pursuit of rights for black people, would be rolling in their graves witnessing how their fights for justice are tarnished by such stupidity.

i would be inclined to believe that MLK would not have opposed the extension of equal rights to those who were in a sexual minority. only wish he were here today to ask him

because blue eyed people are not found to be a Constitutionally protected group

What is the meaning of "Constitutionally protected group"? I have certainly read what the Court describes as "suspect classes" but the Court has never recognized same sex orientation, lesbian, homosexual, or transgender as a suspect class.

So, explain to me what in the hell you are invoking with the phrase "Constitutionally protected group?"

What part of the Constitution mandates private entities to not engage in discrimination? Let's first address your insane assumption the Constitution regulates non-governmental, and non-state action. Which part of the document is applicable to private behavior that is non-governmental and not state action?

the entity was operating within the public sphere
it is then no longer 'private'

Who owns the business? Private persons.

probably, but not necessarily

or do you believe corporations cannot own stock

however, you are reaching to make a point and missed far short of the mark

Do you know what the term private means? Is it owned and operated by private citizens? Yes. Exactly how is the business not private?

Do you understand the difference between a private organization and a government organization?

Non-responsive to my question to you. So I repeat my query again.

What part of the Constitution is applicable to non-governmental conduct, and to non-state action?

Furthermore, a private entity operating in the "public sphere" does not render them being a part of or belong to a State or any government. So, again, what part of the Constitution is applicable to non-governmental conduct, and to non-state action?

Are you really going to claim that selling stock somehow warranting treats business like government? :lol: There is a difference between allowing people to own stock and being part of government.

Btw, there is no requirement in anti-discrimination law that speaks towards the company in question selling stock.

if flag companies offer to make flags to the buyers' specifications, then yes, they would be in violation for refusing to make a KKK flag, or one for the Black Panthers
now, having been a business owner, not wanting certain repeat business, those flags might not be very well constructed, especially for the very high price required to compel me to make them

i would be inclined to believe that MLK would not have opposed the extension of equal rights to those who were in a sexual minority. only wish he were here today to ask him

I can't speak for the dead either, but it strikes me that those who fought and died for such rights would be appalled that their work is leading to legal fights for cakes and dating sites.

Do you know what the term private means? Is it owned and operated by private citizens? Yes. Exactly how is the business not private?

and yet you would confuse private ownership with the public space

pick your poison ... and then tell us whether the defendant was operating within the public sphere

So does this mean that Facebook has to stop taking down political ideas that they don't agree with? Groups like the KKK and other hate groups often get their pages deleted from Facebook.

and yet you would confuse private ownership with the public space

pick your poison ... and then tell us whether the defendant was operating within the public sphere

Is the property owned and operated by private individuals? Yes. What does that mean? It means it's NOT a public space. You're allowed on the property because the owner said you are, not because you have some right to be there.

Do you understand the difference between a private organization and a government organization?

absolutely

hopefully, you can recognize the difference between a private organization and its doing business within the public sphere

suspect we will see whether you are real soon in this thread

So there are no private businesses.

a business can be privately held and still operate in the public sphere

which is what the defendant was doing

and got fined for discriminating against protected groups while operating in the public space

absolutely

hopefully, you can recognize the difference between a private organization and its doing business within the public sphere

Deciding to allow people to enter my property before I make a decision to decline doesn't somehow mean anyone has a right to my labor, my property, or my association.

Christian Mingle must now allow same-sex matches following discrimination lawsuit - AOL

Dating site ChristianMingle.com will soon allow users to search for same-sex matches, courtesy of a "judge-approved settlement of discrimination claims," the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
Under the terms of the settlement, the outcome of a lawsuit filed in California against dating site operator Spark Networks Inc. in 2013 by two gay men who claimed the company's refusal to provide same-sex matches constituted discrimination, Christian Mingle and other sites operating under the company's purview will simply ask whether users are men or women. The settlement also requires the company to introduce features to Christian Mingle making it easier for gay and lesbian users to find others on the site.

Other sites covered by the settlement include CatholicMingle.com,AdventistSinglesConnection.com and BlackSingles.com, the Journal added. According to a version of the settlement posted to the Journal's web site, Spark will pay out $9,000 to each of the plaintiffs and $450,000 in legal fees to the firm representing them.
***************************************************************************************
Ok. Meanwhile, I find issue with the catholic site and black single site cuz see, I am white but might wanna date a black guy and I am a wiccan, but am attracted to catholics. Black ones. They are DISCRIMINATING against me! I'm gonna sue and FORCE them to accept what I want even though it is clear what they cater too. It's not FAIR. *sniff*

Cake anyone?
It matters not what your religion is, religions have the natural right to associate in accordance with their religious tenets. What will happen is, there will be other ways to overcome the intent to force non believers of the sponsored religion to have to adhere to the belief of others.

Non-responsive to my question to you. So I repeat my query again.

What part of the Constitution is applicable to non-governmental conduct, and to non-state action?

Furthermore, a private entity operating in the "public sphere" does not render them being a part of or belong to a State or any government. So, again, what part of the Constitution is applicable to non-governmental conduct, and to non-state action?

the business entity, fishing for customers within the public sphere, must comply with the anti-discrimination provisions that govern our nation

absolutely

So you are okay with the government legislating that a private company be forced to create code for their own website?

Why would anyone support this?

I have no idea, i certainly do not . . .unless im missing something . . .I have to admit I havent looked into this..

if there was a member who said they were gay and they were booted from the site . . maybe I get it

but under no circumstances should a "WEBSITE" called christian mingle that you become a member of have to have homosexual or interreligious, interracial or any other hookup tools / search functions. I dont understand the logic or legality behind that at all.

I see no rights violations or law breaking or illegal discrimination taking place here and im guessing "IF" thats what the ruling was about it will be overturned and it should.

the business entity, fishing for customers within the public sphere, must comply with the anti-discrimination provisions that govern our nation

And why can't a business allow anyone on their property and then decide to decline individual people? For that matter, why can't they open their business to everyone but certain groups? Why is their right to association somehow not permitting those possibilities?

This is ridiculous. I am all for gays being able to marry and everything else. But the website doesn't have to cater to people that it doesn't want to. Insane.

I have to say on the surface i agree, i have to look into this more.

Back
Top Bottom