• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Christie Signs Bill Banning Gay 'Conversion' Therapy

I don't really mind if people believe homosexual behavior is wrong. It is just hard for me to believe they do not see any less of a person when they believe that their behavior is a direct deficit to their character. When I hear people compare homosexuality to things like theft and murder, which are things which actually cause harm to others, that seems like an attack on the person and their character.

You cannot get defensive when so many people use that kind of language to push the "love the sinner, hate the sin" mantra. When there are people on this very forum saying they love gay people and see them as equal but at the same time decry their behavior as on par with criminal and malicious behavior then the response to that is going to be "you either accept me as I am or not at all". And how often do fellow Christians jump in and say "hey, watch what you are saying!" There is tacit consent to those kinds of comparisons from people like you.

There is a reason the current Pope has chosen to be very deliberate with his choice of words. He has not changed the position of the church or his own views of homosexual behavior which he adamantly opposes, but he does not choose language that he knows will incite people and which attacks the person and character of gay people by belittling or demeaning them.

I understand your general point, however... if you can find any statement by me comparing homosexuality to murder or theft, please post same. Pretty sure I have not done so.

Winston, I have a lesbian friend and a lesbian relative. Years ago I had an acquaintance who was gay. I've never been mean to them, I've accepted them as equal persons, I've even been so kind as to avoid discussing my personal religious views on homosexuality unless I was asked directly to do so.

YS has told me plainly that is not enough, that she (and presumably others) will never be content or accepting of ME until I recant my religious views on homosexuality... which I cannot and will not do until I am presented with compelling evidence (in context of my religion) that my belief has been a mistaken one. I have yet to see compelling evidence of that kind. YS has indicated that her desire is to see my religious belief on homosexuality eradicated from society... yes, she modifies that with the proviso that she isn't talking about legislative or forceful means, but nonetheless she wishes my beliefs to be eradicated from humanity.

So apparently my tolerance and acceptance is insufficient; my beliefs must be destroyed. I find this quite ironic, and frankly it makes me feel rather put-upon to be told I must not THINK thus-and-so, no matter how accepting and nice I am, because THINKING thus is inacceptible. It is rather Orwellian IMHO.

I see both sides to it. On one side, more often than not I hate to see damn near anything "banned". Having said that, I supported its ban because - as I said on the first page - we don't know the ramifications of this "therapy". I imagine the potential for serious physical and mental ailments being derived from it.

I have no issue with homosexuals, and I have no issue with people against homosexuality - as long as they both keep thoughts as thoughts and not actions. I'm against homosexuality being outlawed and criminalized just as much as I am against it being labeled a "protected" class. There should be no benefits from being gay, and there should be no drawbacks. Society won't progress until issues like homosexuality (and other similar issues) are treated like "it is what it is" and "ok, so what?".

I understand your general point, however... if you can find any statement by me comparing homosexuality to murder or theft, please post same. Pretty sure I have not done so.

To my knowledge you haven't done such things, but others have.

Have you read where other Christians have made those comparisons and said nothing? Reflect on it.

I learned I have to challenge gay rights activists who cross certain lines and disparage or belittle others because silence is tacit consent.

Back
Top Bottom