• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chris Christie ordering flags half-staff for Whitney Houston

Do you agree or disagree with the governor?

• Total voters
Disagree, that honor should be reserved for much more important individuals than entertainers.

I absolutely don't think it's a good reason.

Celebrity trumps honor. Pure Americana in the TeeVee Nation.

I disagree, I respect her as a singer and person and all but if we lowered the flags for every celebrity that overdosed on drugs we'd have to do this quite a bit.

Actually I do care. On 10 Feb 2012 - 5 days ago - Marine Lance Cpl. Osbrany Montes De Oca from North Arlington, New Jersey was killed in combat in Helmand province, Afghanistan. On 19 Jan 2012, Marine Cpl. Kevin James Reinhard from Woodbridge, New Jersey was killed in a helicopter crash in Helmand province, Afghanistan. On 11 Dec 2011, Army Spc. Ronald H. Wildrick Jr. from Blairstown, New Jersey died from wounds received in combat in Kunar province, Afghanistan.

Why was the NJ flag not already at half mast for these heroes who paid the ultimate price for their nation and for their State?

I'll tell you why because Christie can get more political capital by flying the flag at half mast for a drug addict than for men who served and died with honor. That is what Christie thinks of New Jersey's finest! Isn't that just great?

How would you like to be a family member of one of these brave men only to be dishonored by the Governor of New Jersey by ignoring their service and sacrifice and flying the flag at half mast for someone who died after a long and trouble life of drug abuse? I cannot imagine. Christie may as well just pee on their graves.

Last edited:

^^Well written good sir^^

All due respect for the dead, but I don't think Ms. Houston warranted such honors. However, I don't think it could hurt to show them-- it is a minor honor that would not be overly diluted by being bestowed upon a person who had, in her own right, touched millions of lives. It is certainly less controversial than showing the same honor to Kim Jong Il, for whom I supported the funereal honors.

Our war dead receive far greater honors in death. If he had suggested that Ms. Houston receive a military funeral-- gun salute and presenting of the flag included-- then I would share your outrage.

May as well keep it at half since more will be killing themselves with drugs. Why leave all the other druggies out of that honor?

Our war dead receive far greater honors in death. If he had suggested that Ms. Houston receive a military funeral-- gun salute and presenting of the flag included-- then I would share your outrage.

A military funeral is for the family, for friends, for fellow service members and for the community.

A military funeral is for the family, for friends, for fellow service members and for the community.

You could say the same of any funeral. I'm just saying that the honors Ms. Houston has received in death pale in comparison to the honors bestowed upon the worthier recipients you describe.

Federal law allows some states to lower the flag half staff without need for a presidential order. If NJ law allows it, then there's nothing to agree or disagree with.

The question wasn't "is it legal?" You can still agree/disagree with the decision even while recognizing it's within Christie's right to do it..

Don't vote.....

Or post...

It's funny when people care enough to post about just how much they don't care. LOL

Last edited:
Does not seem like a big deal. When Clarence Clemons passed on Chrstie order flags flown at half mast as well. It appears that these people have contributed significantly or were important to the culture of or the state of New Jersey.

I am from NJ and I support Gov. Christie. Nobody is taking away from fallen soldiers by doing this.

It's insignificant either way.

My puppy is sick.

Lower the damn flag!

^ This, if true and the flag was never lowered to half mast on their behalf. I am not so concerned that the flag was lowered for her, but that she would take presidence over those who gave for their country. WH took far more from her country than she ever gave.

I have enough real issues to get upset about rather than creating them because I am uninformed. No one is being forgotten or overlooked.

NEW JERSEY Half Staff Flag Status

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…