• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chicago’s record for coldest temperature ever could fall

The quote was from the paper you linked.

Not that I could find. The speed of jet streams is caused by temperature differential and a warming arctic reduces that. There was a movie about it too called "The Day After Tomorrow.

Not that I could find. The speed of jet streams is caused by temperature differential and a warming arctic reduces that. There was a movie about it too called "The Day After Tomorrow.

Look back through the news article to the linked research papers on which it is based. Here:

[FONT=&quot]Research shows that over the past several decades, the jet stream has [/FONT]weakened[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Looks like I moved out of Minnesota just in time.

Who said that? That cold air is straight from the North pole and it is warmer than Chicago now. That is a predicted consequence of global warming that results from a weakening of the polar jet that normally keeps arctic air bottled up at the poles.
muttley-laugh.jpg

[h=2]John Cook, we’ll believe you when you stop doing what you complain we’re doing[/h]
John Cook tries to attack skeptics for their savage jokes about cold spells. Go for it John, we’ll believe you when you when you stop publishing stories about single hot days and tell PhD’s they shouldn’t harp on about random noise like heat waves:
[h=3]Forecast: flurries of shivering climate-change deniers[/h]When a cold spell struck the east coast recently, US President Donald Trump tweeted “Wouldn’t be bad to have a little of that good old fashioned Global Warming right now!”
The argument he is sarcastically implying and often makes—that global warming isn’t happening because it’s cold outside—possesses an obvious logical flaw. [No kidding]. It’s like arguing that the sun no longer exists when it gets dark at night. Of course, Trump didn’t invent this argument—it’s commonly brought up on denier blogs and social media threads whenever the weather turns cold.
This type of fallacious reasoning is not just common on believer blogs, it’s their bread and butter.
Trump was being sarcastic. Skeptics are making jokes — but what excuse can anyone make for paid PhD’s who are serious?
Let’s swap the hot’s and cold’s of Cooks own words (mine bolded):
The argument PhD’s seriously imply and often make—that global warming is happening because it’s hot, flooding, extreme, drought-striken, rainy, windy, wavy or otherwise not exactly average outside—possesses an obvious logical flaw. It’s like arguing that any weather we get must be caused by our coal plants because we can’t think what else might have caused it.
Worse, it’s like saying that every bushfire, bleached reef and reckless fish is evidence that your car is changing the climate.
Believers are, after all, the true stars in this world of turning random noise and spurious correlation into pretend evidence. It’s not just something they do anymore, it’s their main strategy. After telling us for years that weather is not climate all the half baked evidence they had fell apart. The ice core result came out backwards. The hot spot went missing. Thetemperature trends slowed. The seas didn’t accelerate and Antarctica ignored them. All they have left now is relentless Pavlovian hammering of the “hottest X years of the last ten years”. That, and the agitprop linking every change in local beach sand, migrating crocodiles and jellyfish plagues to fossil fuel emissions.
Perhaps Cook is worried that skeptics might get serious about doing what alarmists do, and beat them at their own game.
Keep reading →

[FONT="][URL="https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/01/29/polar-vortex-will-have-nearly-90-percent-of-us-below-freezing/"]
NWS_Forecast-460x260.png
[/URL][/FONT]

[h=1]‘Polar Vortex’ Will Have Nearly 90 Percent Of US Below-Freezing[/h][FONT="][FONT=inherit]4:54 PM 01/28/2019 | Energy Michael Bastasch | Energy Editor Nearly 90 percent of the continental U.S. will experience below-freezing temperatures over the next five days as Arctic air moves south, according to forecasts. The “polar vortex” event will have 89 percent of the continental U.S. with below freezing weather, meteorologist Ryan Maue said. In…[/FONT]
[FONT=inherit][URL="https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/01/29/polar-vortex-will-have-nearly-90-percent-of-us-below-freezing/"]Continue reading →[/URL][/FONT]
[/FONT]

Soot will cool the air and warm the snow.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-cold-weather-20190127-story.html

The lows Tuesday and Wednesday could break records set in 1966. They’ll also feel much worse with wind gusts up to 30 mph, which will make it feel as low as negative 50 degrees, according to the weather service.

Whew boy this isn't supposed to be happening!

Ive moved to the tropics and it feels like California with the nice cool breezes where I am now. What happened to global warming?

Soot will cool the air and warm the snow.

LOL Where doe the soot come from? We need to ban diesel engines, coal plants and oil refineries? That sounds so very different from the consensus of scientists.:lol:

WHERE DOES SOOT COME FROM? The most significant sources of soot are diesel engines, vehicle tailpipes, coal plant smokestacks, oil refineries, and fires—the burning of large forests for agricultural purposes produces soot, and so does the use of grills, fireplaces and cookstoves for cooking and heating.

https://www.momscleanairforce.org/soot-facts/

I was thinking of the old saying "it's colder than a woman's heart" - just the appearance of Hillary send shivers down my spine and causes testicular hibernation.

Dont you mean colder than a witch's ***, CJ? ;)

So much ignorance on a single thread.

It's called a polar vortex, and is caused by climate change. Please don't be like the ignoramus in chief, who does not know the difference between weather and climate.

So much ignorance on a single thread.

It's called a polar vortex, and is caused by climate change. Please don't be like the ignoramus in chief, who does not know the difference between weather and climate.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

[FONT=&quot]Climate FAIL[/FONT]
[h=1]Climate Change Gets a New Language… Again[/h][FONT=&quot]Guest whatever by David Middleton The New Language of Climate Change Scientists and meteorologists on the front lines of the climate wars are testing a new strategy to get through to the skeptics and outright deniers. By BRYAN BENDER January 27, 2019 PHOENIX—Leading climate scientists and meteorologists are banking on a new strategy for talking…
[/FONT]

Ive moved to the tropics and it feels like California with the nice cool breezes where I am now. What happened to global warming?

This IS a result of global warming. See the posts above on polar vortices.

This IS a result of global warming. See the posts above on polar vortices.

Well if it does this to the tropics then I say we need more of it. I'm enjoying myself since I dont have to use the AC all the time anymore. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom