• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Caterpillars are eating my flowers!

Funny you mention moon flowers-- I assume you are talking about what we call Devil's Trumpet. I have a bunch of those white ones planted around a red Japanese maple and really really need to get rid of them. I just recently found out that they are very toxic to kids and pets and I have both. Apparently some people use the seeds of those for the hallucinogenic properties as well. Who knew a flower contained naturally occurring atropine.

Yep that sounds like what I've described Never heard them called Devil's Trumpet before. They open up at dusk. Their bright white blooms stand out even in the dark. I didn't know they contained hallucinogenic properties also. Wonder why those hopped up rabbits invading my space didn't bother them like they did the Morning Glories? Learn something new everyday!

But...but...with every caterpillar you kill...... are you not wiping out the potential of a beautiful butterfly? hmmmmm.

I'm quite sure these would be moths, there are millions of these caterpillars everywhere around here. Even if they were to be butterflies, wiping out a few of them probably wouldn't even make that much of a difference given how many of them there are.

Yep that sounds like what I've described Never heard them called Devil's Trumpet before. They open up at dusk. Their bright white blooms stand out even in the dark. I didn't know they contained hallucinogenic properties also. Wonder why those hopped up rabbits invading my space didn't bother them like they did the Morning Glories? Learn something new everyday!

From what I read online, bees are immune to the poison and hummingbirds know only to take a little bit at a time from the plant, but beyond that, I guess it just isn't a rabbits thing. I started growing them last year when a cousin sent me a bunch of seeds. She calls it princess trumpet, and I just now got around to researching them. I like them so I hate I am going to be doing away with them.

From what I read online, bees are immune to the poison and hummingbirds know only to take a little bit at a time from the plant, but beyond that, I guess it just isn't a rabbits thing. I started growing them last year when a cousin sent me a bunch of seeds. She calls it princess trumpet, and I just now got around to researching them. I like them so I hate I am going to be doing away with them.

Do you think the green caterpillars I'm referring to would be butterflies or moths? There are TONS of these and they are tiny. I don't think they would be butterflies. I think only the bigger ones would be butterflies.

And do ALL caterpillars turn into moths or butterflies?

Do you think the green caterpillars I'm referring to would be butterflies or moths? There are TONS of these and they are tiny. I don't think they would be butterflies. I think only the bigger ones would be butterflies.

Most likely a moth, but I like them too. All of God's Creatures Have a Place in the Choir--some sing low and some sing higher :2razz: (well except for ants--you can stomp them moes until your heart is content)

Well obviously not all do because many die. I am not a bug expert but I cannot think of hearing of any that would not become one or the other unless they had wasp eggs injected inside them.

Most likely a moth, but I like them too. All of God's Creatures Have a Place in the Choir--some sing low and some sing higher :2razz: (well except for ants--you can stomp them moes until your heart is content)

Well obviously not all do because many die. I am not a bug expert but I cannot think of hearing of any that would not become one or the other unless they had wasp eggs injected inside them.

Well, I might agree if they weren't all over the place. It's more like an infestation than anything else. I wonder if has anything to do with the wet humid conditions we had at the beginning of the year?

What about inch worms? I wonder what those change into? These look similar to inch worms actually. Little and green, but like I said earlier, they look like a LOT of the pictures of caterpillars/worms I looked at. So I just don't know.

If they are true caterpillars, yes. There are some things that look like caterpillars that are actually grubs and other larvae.

Well, I might agree if they weren't all over the place. It's more like an infestation than anything else. I wonder if has anything to do with the wet humid conditions we had at the beginning of the year?

What about inch worms? I wonder what those change into? These look similar to inch worms actually. Little and green, but like I said earlier, they look like a LOT of the pictures of caterpillars/worms I looked at. So I just don't know.

inch worms are geometer moths. Caterpillar populations fluctuate wildly. You may be overrun with them a few years and then not have many for a decade, especially those tent jobbies. If you want to kill them, kill them. You will not extinct a species of bugs by killing all the ones you find typically.

If they are true caterpillars, yes. There are some things that look like caterpillars that are actually grubs and other larvae.

What about the ones that look like caterpillars but they're called "worms?"

inch worms are geometer moths. Caterpillar populations fluctuate wildly. You may be overrun with them a few years and then not have many for a decade, especially those tent jobbies. If you want to kill them, kill them. You will not extinct a species of bugs by killing all the ones you find typically.

I'd rather just repel them, but so far I haven't found of any reliable method to do that. I actually don't think just killing them would be effective because more will just come, and like I said there are a lot of them this year. Earlier in the spring, all of my outdoor furniture and patio were covered in black gritty caterpillar poop.

Yes too late for a lot of those suggestions, but I did get the bacterial spray that kills them. I also read as a home remedy that repels them, hot pepper and dish soap mixed in water. Ever hear of that?

I've heard that pepper spray will repel. THat being said, my philosophy is this: they have plenty of wild vegetation to live on, and if they invade my own personal space, they are fair game. Yeah, I know it's not logical, but it's my approach. :lol:

I've heard that pepper spray will repel. THat being said, my philosophy is this: they have plenty of wild vegetation to live on, and if they invade my own personal space, they are fair game. Yeah, I know it's not logical, but it's my approach. :lol:

You'll be happy to hear that I've allowed a few spiders to hang out around my flowers. :lol: I don't see them doing anything with the caterpillars though, so I guess they don't eat them.

Yes too late for a lot of those suggestions, but I did get the bacterial spray that kills them. I also read as a home remedy that repels them, hot pepper and dish soap mixed in water. Ever hear of that?

I have heard of variations of that as a general organic insecticide to use in gardens generically on a weekly basis but never specifically for caterpillars One I also recall hearing of generically is water, cinnamon oil and clove oil but it apparently makes your yard smell like those fireball candy things.

I have heard of variations of that as a general organic insecticide to use in gardens generically on a weekly basis but never specifically for caterpillars One I also recall hearing of generically is water, cinnamon oil and clove oil but it apparently makes your yard smell like those fireball candy things.

Could smell worse, like when they bring in new mulch! :lol:

I always preferred angel trumpets. But if you have kids or animals around that *may* do something that would open them up to poisoning then they are a very bad plant to have around.

PS they do great from cuttings, as well

I always preferred angel trumpets. But if you have kids or animals around that *may* do something that would open them up to poisoning then they are a very bad plant to have around.

PS they do great from cuttings, as well

My kids do not put things in their mouths. We have a bunch of first year feral cats though that will chew on pretty much any plant which is why I think I need them gone.

My kids do not put things in their mouths. We have a bunch of first year feral cats though that will chew on pretty much any plant which is why I think I need them gone.

Somebody told me that hair clippings in the soil helps repel caterpillars. Ever hear of that before? And I wonder why that work?

Well, that could cover a large variety of little critters. :mrgreen:

What about you lizzie? Ever hear of hair clippings in the soil to repel caterpillars?

What about you lizzie? Ever hear of hair clippings in the soil to repel caterpillars?

Never heard of it. I really don't usually have much of a problem with caterpillars here, except the ones that I actually want to have. The only ones I usually spray BT for are corn earworms. Most of the others are butterfly cats that I plant specific host plants for.

Somebody told me that hair clippings in the soil helps repel caterpillars. Ever hear of that before? And I wonder why that work?

I have heard of it to repel deer because they can smell the human scent and they avoid humans, but I have never heard of it for caterpillars.

I have heard of it to repel deer because they can smell the human scent and they avoid humans, but I have never heard of it for caterpillars.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense to me. I don't see how it would repel insects either.

Back
Top Bottom