• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Capitol Police officer Brian D. Sicknick suffered two strokes and died of natural causes

That particular report (that he had to be 'resuscitated with CPR') is out of place, and is likely more bad reporting that was allowed to just sit. Either the brother was getting confused by differing reports, and thought references to the man who died of a heart attack was referring to his brother, OR the CPR occurred much later when he had a stroke.

You do not 'get resuscitated by CPR' and go back to work for the rest of the day.
That report was from his brother, and he said it was in a text. There is nothing to contradict it. He had the stroke that night. In fact, from what I read, he had 2 strokes. And people have strokes without realizing they are having one, but doctors can find out later about them. It is very possible he had the stroke while still at the Capitol. He didn't go back to work, it was at night, but still could have been triggered by what had transpired earlier throughout the day.

That report was from his brother, and he said it was in a text. There is nothing to contradict it. He had the stroke that night. In fact, from what I read, he had 2 strokes. And people have strokes without realizing they are having one, but doctors can find out later about them. It is very possible he had the stroke while still at the Capitol. He didn't go back to work, it was at night, but still could have been triggered by what had transpired earlier throughout the day.
Not following your post either. Again, the issue is probably the timeline.

Let me rephrase. During the event at the capital, Sicknick did not have CPR. He would have gone straight to the hospital. He was reported to have spent time talking with other officers, complaining about the pepper spray, but not reporting any injuries or concerns.

Hours later, he collapsed and was taken to the hospital. Perhaps he had CPR at that time, or more likely, at the hospital. Somewhere along the way the reports got muddied.

Not following your post either. Again, the issue is probably the timeline.

Let me rephrase. During the event at the capital, Sicknick did not have CPR. He would have gone straight to the hospital. He was reported to have spent time talking with other officers, complaining about the pepper spray, but not reporting any injuries or concerns.

Hours later, he collapsed and was taken to the hospital. Perhaps he had CPR at that time, or more likely, at the hospital. Somewhere along the way the reports got muddied.
And again, strokes can happen later even when caused by this sort of thing. There is very little doubt that it was the events that caused his issues, not some random cosmic coincidence that this healthy officer suddenly had a couple of strokes following a very stressful event and being sprayed by pepper spray, both being known to cause strokes. Having a stroke hours later is not at all uncommon because it could take time for the effects to be fully felt.

You keep insisting for some reason that the timeline here is simply out because it was "hours later". It doesn't matter if it was "hours later". In fact, he could have had the stroke without knowing during the attack and then felt the symptoms "hours later".

Stroke symptoms can develop slowly over hours or days. If you have a ministroke, also known as transient ischemic attack (TIA), symptoms are temporary and usually improve within hours. In this case, you may blame sudden symptoms on stress, a migraine, or nerve problems.

So he could have easily have had a stroke during the actual event and not felt the symptoms, not collapsed until later on, hours later.

In fact, the Chief Medical Examiner stated that the events that day contributed to his condition.

And again, strokes can happen later even when caused by this sort of thing. There is very little doubt that it was the events that caused his issues, not some random cosmic coincidence that this healthy officer suddenly had a couple of strokes following a very stressful event and being sprayed by pepper spray, both being known to cause strokes. Having a stroke hours later is not at all uncommon because it could take time for the effects to be fully felt.

You keep insisting for some reason that the timeline here is simply out because it was "hours later". It doesn't matter if it was "hours later". In fact, he could have had the stroke without knowing during the attack and then felt the symptoms "hours later".

Stroke symptoms can develop slowly over hours or days. If you have a ministroke, also known as transient ischemic attack (TIA), symptoms are temporary and usually improve within hours. In this case, you may blame sudden symptoms on stress, a migraine, or nerve problems.

So he could have easily have had a stroke during the actual event and not felt the symptoms, not collapsed until later on, hours later.

In fact, the Chief Medical Examiner stated that the events that day contributed to his condition.
You keep rambling off track. I was responding to the specific implication that CPR was performed on him during the event. That didn't happen.

I'm very familiar with how strokes work. This was not a TIA. It's unlikely that the pepper spray - much earlier - would have any impact - and the medical examiner said it didn't. Stress of the day... sure... but that's not homicide.

They reported what was known at the time. Now they update their reporting. It’s why you folks are trying to use it to define down the insurrection. HE WASNT BEATEN TO DEATH HAHAHA WE WIN

You guys think new reporting means the old reporting was “lying” which is stupid. But then again you think changing covid precautions as new data on a novel virus comes in as “flip flopping”.

Late stage conservatism isn’t sending us their best arguments.

Nobody “wins” when major players in the Fourth Estate deliberately use unsourced news items for the sake of getting attention. Of course Libs are fine with lies and distortions when Libs reap benefits from same.

You keep rambling off track. I was responding to the specific implication that CPR was performed on him during the event. That didn't happen.

I'm very familiar with how strokes work. This was not a TIA. It's unlikely that the pepper spray - much earlier - would have any impact - and the medical examiner said it didn't. Stress of the day... sure... but that's not homicide.
No. It was said that CPR was performed on him at the Capitol (according to his 'elder' brother, but this could also mean at the station he was assigned to). He likely didn't leave directly from the events, leaving the Capitol area itself immediately. The officers did not get the area cleared until after 7pm. This means that he could have had to stay there while they were still clearing out and protecting Congress who had to stay later to certify.

Nobody “wins” when major players in the Fourth Estate deliberately use unsourced news items for the sake of getting attention. Of course Libs are fine with lies and distortions when Libs reap benefits from same.

“Deliberately” means you believe they lied. Spare me the wackadoo right wing stuff.

I guess the definition of "Libs" is people without intellectual honesty. Donald Trump's administration was full of them. That is how he escaped conviction on his two impeachments.

Some of us call ourselves "liberals", but not "Libs". And many of us liberals believe in intellectual honesty.

No. It was said that CPR was performed on him at the Capitol (according to his 'elder' brother, but this could also mean at the station he was assigned to). He likely didn't leave directly from the events, leaving the Capitol area itself immediately. The officers did not get the area cleared until after 7pm. This means that he could have had to stay there while they were still clearing out and protecting Congress who had to stay later to certify.
And that's essentially what I said. Sigh.

Apparently it is not. A capitol officer who shot Ashli Babbitt caused her death and is now free to roam after murdering her.

What would you have done in that cop's shoes? Let the rioters break through and take congresspeople hostage?

What would you have done in that cop's shoes? Let the rioters break through and take congresspeople hostage?
Probably taser or pepper-spray the unarmed woman hanging halfway into a window, or started with a verbal warning. Or he could have allowed the reaction team directly behind her to deal with it. Officers blocking the door had also just moved to the side. Lots of options.

Probably taser or pepper-spray the unarmed woman hanging halfway into a window, or started with a verbal warning. Or he could have allowed the reaction team directly behind her to deal with it. Officers blocking the door had also just moved to the side. Lots of options.

I bet you don't even realize how much you look like a liberal right now.

I bet you don't even realize how much you look like a liberal right now.
Ha! I would take that as an insult. I'm probably closer to libertarian. Today's liberals just sway in the breeze.

Ha! I would take that as an insult. I'm probably closer to libertarian. Today's liberals just sway in the breeze.

I'm just curious, do you make the same arguments you just made when there is a controversial police shooting of a black man?

I'm just curious, do you make the same arguments you just made when there is a controversial police shooting of a black man?
Given a similar set of circumstances, sure. It's not lost on me that many from the left are unconcerned about people using lasers, throwing rocks, or even incendiaries, at police, calling any use of force in response unnecessary. Then in this situation are content with an officer blasting away at an unarmed person.

I would rather look at the facts of the individual situation. With too many people, color is the first thing they see.

“Deliberately” means you believe they lied. Spare me the wackadoo right wing stuff.

Not checking a story adequately isn’t the same as lying, but yeah, it’s just another wrong that can’t be added to the rioting events to “make a right.”

I guess the definition of "Libs" is people without intellectual honesty. Donald Trump's administration was full of them. That is how he escaped conviction on his two impeachments.

Some of us call ourselves "liberals", but not "Libs". And many of us liberals believe in intellectual honesty.

Trump escaped impeachment because the cases were weak. It certainly wasn’t because no people in his administration testified against him.

Let’s compare like to like. I think one of the worst lies ever told was Biden’s “Jim Crow on steroids.” Since Biden told this lie during a speech to voters, can you cite a more egregious lie told by Trump during a speech to voters? I specify to eliminate irrelevant trivia like, “he kissed Putin’s butt” etc.

And I'm sure you can show that he had taser or pepper spray on him?

Those on the side of the door with the rest of the mob weren't doing anything to stop them until after she was shot. Those blocking the door were moving to leave. They were not again taking any actions at all. The officer on the inside of that door did not know why they had left, what was going on out that except that a mob was breaking down the doors, breaking the glass trying to get inside to harm those under his protection. The first in was Babbitt and others were following (from his view). They would have overwhelmed him had he tried to "tackle" her rather than shoot her, again from his view.

Given a similar set of circumstances, sure. It's not lost on me that many from the left are unconcerned about people using lasers, throwing rocks, or even incendiaries, at police, calling any use of force in response unnecessary. Then in this situation are content with an officer blasting away at an unarmed person.

I would rather look at the facts of the individual situation. With too many people, color is the first thing they see.
Show where someone on the left has said that simply using force in response to any of those things you mentioned is unnecessary. You are trying to use hyperbole and wild assumptions that you cannot back up here as some sort of evidence against this shooting. There is no evidence that any significant portion of those on the left view use of force alone as a problem in response to "lasers, throwing rocks, or even incendiaries" nor that they are "unconcerned" with those uses against police. The world is not black or white.

And he didn't simply "blast away" at an unarmed person. He shot a single shot at the person who was entering a secured area as the head of a violent mob.

Trump apologist would have you believe that this officer just happened to die of a stroke after the attempted insurrection. It is like the defense lawyer arguing that George Floyd just happened to suffer from a heart attack while the police had a knee on his neck and the two are unrelated.

It’s far more likely that if the insurrection attempt didn’t occur, he’d be alive today.

Trump escaped impeachment because the cases were weak. It certainly wasn’t because no people in his administration testified against him.

Let’s compare like to like. I think one of the worst lies ever told was Biden’s “Jim Crow on steroids.” Since Biden told this lie during a speech to voters, can you cite a more egregious lie told by Trump during a speech to voters? I specify to eliminate irrelevant trivia like, “he kissed Putin’s butt” etc.

15 cases will go to zero.

Not checking a story adequately isn’t the same as lying, but yeah, it’s just another wrong that can’t be added to the rioting events to “make a right.”

No idea what that soup means. You think Sicknick, which we’ve now seen video of being attacked, NOT dying of that attack now means something about the insurrection. That it was less something. This is the dumbest argument you folks have made yet about Jan 6.

It's a shame he had a condition to begin with. Perhaps he shouldn't have been on the force.

Perhaps Trump voters shouldn’t have staged a terrorist attack on our Capitol.

Boy, did you miss the point.

If a bunch of treasonous Trumpist assholes put a cop through the most stressful day of his career and that person has a stroke/heart attack just hours later, you're not in a position to say they had nothing to do with it.

You'll gain high-five from fellow Trumpists, sure, but those are the people whose only real complaint about the insurrection is that it failed. Which is all Trumpists ever seem to want here. Debate? lol.
Hey, police work is stressful. If you have a condition that can't handle it, you shouldn't be on the force.
Officer Sicknick was unhealthy to begin with. Sounds like he should have had a desk job.

Back
Top Bottom