• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Can you identify an "assault weapon" when you see one?

Which of these are "assault weapons"?

• Total voters

M14 Shooter

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Please refer to the 4 pictures, below.

Which of these are "assault weapons"
Note that one of them is a gimmie.

hk21.jpg

M99.jpg

m16.jpg

m14-NOTOK.jpg

that term-assault weapon is a fictitious term that has no standing among weapons experts. It is ill defined and sometimes means a semi auto weapon that has certain "scary" features. The term was created to demonize cosmetics to cause the weak minded to hate firearm rights.

now an assault rifle is an accepted term-a carbine sized select fire weapon utilizing an intermediate cartridge-ie a cartridge more powerful than a pistol round used in pistols and submachine guns (ie 9mm, 380 and 45 ACP) and full sized battle rifle cartridges (ie 30-06, 7.62 NATO, 8 MM and 303)

TurtleDude said:
that term-assault weapon is a fictitious term that has no standing among weapons experts. It is ill defined and sometimes means a semi auto weapon that has certain "scary" features. The term was created to demonize cosmetics to cause the weak minded to hate firearm rights.

now an assault rifle is an accepted term-a carbine sized select fire weapon utilizing an intermediate cartridge-ie a cartridge more powerful than a pistol round used in pistols and submachine guns (ie 9mm, 380 and 45 ACP) and full sized battle rifle cartridges (ie 30-06, 7.62 NATO, 8 MM and 303)

Of course.
But, the poll is designed to help educate those that know little about guns, but are against "assault weapons" anyway.
So.... SHHHHHHH!

Last edited:
Okay,
I'm not a veritable cornucopia of knowledge when it comes to fire arms but it seems to me that number:

1. SAW variant? I could be way off, it doesn't look like a typical SAW so I really don't know.

2. Barret 50 Cal-- that what it looks like to me anyway.

3. Looks like a Standard M-16, but there are so many variants of that gun so I could be wrong.

4. And I have seen this gun before, but I have no idea what it is. M-14?

Anyway, I may be missing the actual message this little quiz is trying to get across, but I'm more interested in what these actual guns are.

And I'm not going to cheat and visit Worldguns.ru either.

M14 Shooter said:
Of course.
But, the poll is designed to help educate those that know little about guns, but are against "assault weapons" anyway.
So.... SHHHHHHH!

MUM's the word

true story-years ago I shot skeet, as a guest, at an exclusive country club. One of the members wanted his wife to learn how to shoot skeet. She was manager of a well known cutting edge Rock radio station. I arranged to meet her at my gun club. As I was showing her around, I took her to the rifle range. She mentioned that while she liked skeet (had a semi auto shotgun) she favored the "assault weapon" bans then in vogue (this was in the early 90's). I said nothing and when we finished with the lesson, I asked if she wanted to go to the rifle range. I had a STEYR AUG and a Colt AR-15 in the trunk of my Saab.

She liked shooting them. The next day her husband called me to thank me but noted it was a very expensive lesson. I asked him why, I didn't ask for a fee. He noted he had to spend 900 bucks getting his wife an AR-15 and she also wanted an AUG!

another true story. My brother was married 9-10 years ago-one of his guests is a hollywood guy whose wife had a supporting role in ID4. She found out I was a former WC skeet shooter and went on and on about how she and her producer husband liked skeet shooting with their Remington 1100 shotguns. I noted it was neat that two hollywood types were PRO GUN. She mentioned that she thought SEMI AUTOs ought to be banned. You should have seen the look on her face when I explained an 1100 was SEMI AUTO

M14 Shooter said:
Please refer to the 4 pictures, below.

Which of these are "assault weapons"
Note that one of them is a gimmie.

hk21.jpg

M99.jpg

I'm sure glad that our boys and girls in Iraq and Afghanistan are getting shot at with regular weapons and 'assault weapons'.:lol:

I've got a dragunov sniper rifle I'm sure it will come in handy some day.:ninja:

SixStringHero said:
Okay,
I'm not a veritable cornucopia of knowledge when it comes to fire arms but it seems to me that number:

1. SAW variant? I could be way off, it doesn't look like a typical SAW so I really don't know.

2. Barret 50 Cal-- that what it looks like to me anyway.

3. Looks like a Standard M-16, but there are so many variants of that gun so I could be wrong.

4. And I have seen this gun before, but I have no idea what it is. M-14?

Anyway, I may be missing the actual message this little quiz is trying to get across, but I'm more interested in what these actual guns are.

And I'm not going to cheat and visit Worldguns.ru either.

1) Heckler and Koch-IIRC a model 21 light machine gun

2) indeed a barrett though there are several (Grizzly, MAADI) that look like this

3) SInce you cannot see the selector switch on the left side its either an early (note no forward assist bolt) nam era M-16 or a colt semi auto AR-15

4) the last appears to be a springfield armory MI-A1-I base that on the lack of a bayonet lug and thus is a POST BAN semi auto civilian market rifle.

Thanks for the information.

50 percent correct. I still failed.

I need to brush up on my fire arms.

M14 Shooter said:
Of course.
So.... SHHHHHHH!

Actually, it could educate me, who thinks banning "assualt weapons" is a damn silly thing to do. I made my guess, I'll wait to see the answer.

The only crime I ever saw committed with a firearm was when the man who owned the mini-market next door to my shop was shot and killed with a .22. That must have been an "assualt" pistol.

Needless to say, I seriously doubt that the user of that particular firearm had complied with the licensing and registration laws that prevented my friend from having his own gun.

1) Heckler and Koch-IIRC a model 21 light machine gun
Correct. Belt-fed full auto. Not an "assault weapon".

2) indeed a barrett though there are several (Grizzly, MAADI) that look like this
Correct. Barrett M99. Single-shot bolt action. Not an "assault weapon".

3) SInce you cannot see the selector switch on the left side its either an early (note no forward assist bolt) nam era M-16 or a colt semi auto AR-15
Its an M16 (not M16A1). IIRC, all colt AR15s were based on the M16A1 and had a fwd assist.
In any event, being an M16, its an assault rifle, not an "assault weapon".

4) the last appears to be a springfield armory MI-A1-I base that on the lack of a bayonet lug and thus is a POST BAN semi auto civilian market rifle.
Its actually a pic from the M14 service manual, modiifed to have the bayonette lug removed. If it were an M1A, the removal of the bayonette lug would mean its not an "assault weapon"; if it were an M14 it would be a select-fire battle rifle and therefore STILL not an "assault weapon".

So -- none of these four evil-looking guns are "assault weapons".

M14 Shooter said:
Its actually a pic from the M14 service manual, modiifed to have the bayonette lug removed. If it were an M1A, the removal of the bayonette lug would mean its not an "assault weapon"; if it were an M14 it would be a select-fire battle rifle and therefore STILL not an "assault weapon".

So -- none of these four evil-looking guns are "assault weapons".

So.... What do you do with a 'Battle Rifle'? Go hunting?

early civilian legal (not class III) AR 15's did not have forward assists. They are often called "SP-1's" IIRC. there is one sitting on the shelf at TARGETWORLD (www.targetworld.net) a range where I shoot. the FA did not become popular until the late 60's IIRC.

Saboteur said:

Sure.
Excrpt for big bears, there isnt a non-rodent game animal on this continent that you cannot effectively hunt with an M14/M1A.

(Never mind that the right to arms idnt about hunting)

Saboteur said:

many do, the WWI and WWII battle rifles included the most famous battle rifle of all time-the German '98 Mauser (8MM) and the US A3-03 Springfield rifle in 30-06. Both of those two bolt action rifles served as the basis for most bolt action big game rifles and millions of those guns were modified (usually better stocks and turning the bolt down so a scope can be mounted more easily) by custom gunsmiths as hunting rifles.

Don't forget my personal fave.

FNH_CB_PS90.jpg

I just realized I didn't even read the topic title correctly.

I thought the topic said 'Assault Rifle' not 'Weapon.' LOL

So the first one was fairly obvious being that it was a machine gun, and the Barret was a sniper rifle which I'm fairly certain wouldn't be considered an assault rifle but I could be wrong.

Saboteur said:

And as far as other activities with a battle rifle, specifically the M14/M1A

This is the firing line at Viale range, Camp Perry Ohio.
See the targets in the bacground? They're 1000yds away.
CP8.jpg

This is the 300yd line, same range.
CP9.jpg

Last edited:
SixStringHero said:
That's the P-90 right?

P-90 civilian version. Yes indeed :) NOT an assault weapon and a whole lotta fun.

Blind man said:
P-90 civilian version. Yes indeed :) NOT an assault weapon and a whole lotta fun.

Civiliian version?
So I take it the fire arm is semi-auto?

SixStringHero said:
Civiliian version?
So I take it the fire arm is semi-auto?

There are three major differences between that and the special forces version. Most obvious is the length of the barrel(roughly 6 inches shorter for SF use). The second is rate of fire, this one is semi-auto. And the third is the ammo. The ammo in the SF version is super-sonic, and the civilian ammo is sub sonic. that said they are still pretty powerful, and what the hell, you have 50 before changing the clip :)

Blind man said:
There are three major differences between that and the special forces version. Most obvious is the length of the barrel(roughly 6 inches shorter for SF use). The second is rate of fire, this one is semi-auto. And the third is the ammo. The ammo in the SF version is super-sonic, and the civilian ammo is sub sonic. that said they are still pretty powerful, and what the hell, you have 50 before changing the clip :)

The P90 is 9mm, isnt it?
Most civilian 9mm ammo is supersonic...?

Blind man said:

It's a 9mm right?

M14 Shooter said:
The P90 is 9mm, isnt it?
Most civilian 9mm ammo is supersonic...?

carbines with 16 inch or longer (16 inch is the 1934NFA minimum) get far more speed out of 9mm ammo than the typical 4-5" pistols. 115 grain standard 9mm ball as well as 124 grain 9mm are almost always supersonic out of the standard M9 (Beretta 92FS) pistol or the similar Glock 17, Sig 226 or Browning HP/P-35. 147 grain bullets usually are NOT supersonic (and are thus selected on suppressed weapons (silencers for those who aren't up on gun lingo). 147 standard SAAMI loadings often make supersonic speeds out of 9mm carbines like the beretta Storm, the US Civilian UZI models and the AR-15 9MM carbines

Back
Top Bottom