• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can we have an electric car dominated society soon?

Can we have an electric car dominated society soon? The main issue is recycling the batteries, and other hazards associated with it. I believe it is a good way to fight climate change and reduce pollution.
Actually, the main issue now is increasing the national electric grid so their is enough power capacity. This is still at least a decade away.

Hopes and promises of electric cars without telling the people one huge cost.

Can we have an electric car dominated society soon? The main issue is recycling the batteries, and other hazards associated with it. I believe it is a good way to fight climate change and reduce pollution.
There are more issues than just the lack of recycling facilities for batteries. Here are four more:
  • EVs lack the range and hauling capacity of ICE vehicles;
  • EVs have very poor performance in cold climates;
  • EVs pollute more than ICE vehicles; and
  • EVs cost substantially more than ICE vehicles, even with massive taxpayer subsidizes.

• EVs have very poor performance in cold climates;
From what I know it starts just fine. The range may be effected.

Citation please
There has been a study that shows this, but it takes into account things like the ecological damage of mining the materials. However, the actual damage since we have been adding better mining practices isn't as severe.

That said, their still is high ecological damage that the general public is kept ignorant of.

Both range and speed are affected in the cold. Batteries dramatically drop in efficiency near freezing.

Citation please
I think when you look at primary energy source to wheel, it gets close for an electric car charged from a coal power plant.
The primary energy (coal) can only convert ~33% of it's energy into work turning the turbine.
then you add up the losses from transmission, and battery charging and discharging.
If you started with 100 kwH of primary energy, only 33 kWh makes it to the generator.
of that another 5% is lost in transmission (1.65 kWh), 31.35 kWh remaining.
Charging a battery electric car is thought to lose between 15 to 20%, 15 % of 31.35 kWh is 4.7kWh,
which takes us down to 26.6 kWh, or 26% of the primary energy turns the wheels.
A normal IC car runs about 20%, but some of the new hybrids can hit 40% efficiency.
So more CO2 than the best hybrid, but not as much as a traditional IC car.

There has been a study that shows this, but it takes into account things like the ecological damage of mining the materials. However, the actual damage since we have been adding better mining practices isn't as severe.

That said, their still is high ecological damage that the general public is kept ignorant of.
In the future it will be better than fossil fuels. We are researching how we can get seawater to make lithium

In the future it will be better than fossil fuels. We are researching how we can get seawater to make lithium
I agree doing away with coal will likely happen, so why do we let China build now ones? We haven't beilt a new one in about 30 years I think. For now, they are cost efficient, and at their end of like, it will not be unlikely be replaced with a new coal plant.

However, don't count natural gas out. It too is a fossil fuel, and burns clean.

I agree doing away with coal will likely happen, so why do we let China build now ones?
There is nothing we can do about China. The more stuff they do wrong the more the world looks the other way.

There is nothing we can do about China. The more stuff they do wrong the more the world looks the other way.
Would you agree it's pointless to spend more tax dollars on something that makes no difference since Chinas influence will snuff out ours?

Would you agree it's pointless to spend more tax dollars on something that makes no difference since Chinas influence will snuff out ours?
Its like saying I should throw my trash on the ground because my neighbor does

Actually, we can. We can tariff the hell out of anything made for export using based on the ratio of their power sources.

Its like saying I should throw my trash on the ground because my neighbor does
I disagree. We don't need to revert. Just stop subsidizing green projects. They have a foothold and will grow on their own. Just not faster than the power is needed.

Actually, we can. We can tariff the hell out of anything made for export using based on the ratio of their power sources.
Tarriffs work both ways. "Economic warfare" can only get you so far before both nations start to feel the bite. "Victory" in a economic war means economic MAD.

I disagree. We don't need to revert. Just stop subsidizing green projects. They have a foothold and will grow on their own. Just not faster than the power is needed.
They will grow when disaster hits. China is only growing their green market after they see the citizens choking on smog.

It's happening more quickly than I expected.

The main issue is the price of the cars.
Once they lick that problem, they will begin to be adopted at a record pace, and the market will be forced to come up with ways to better deal with recycling.
And not only will they be forced to deal with that, they will also be forced to invent newer and better battery formulas that aren't as hazardous and that do not require as much effort to remanufacture or recycle.

Not until an electric car can go 3-400 miles on a charge. Then recharging them takes about 5 minutes or so that it takes to fill up a gas tank today. With electric cars, long trips or vacations are out of the question. Then how much room does the batteries take inside the car. I assume if one is only using the electric car to drive to and from work, school or shopping, then that would work. Less than 100 miles a day or around that.

I’m not sure how these hybrid electric cars work. When one is driving on gas, that that charge up the batteries? If so, perhaps hybrids is a way to go short term. Then how much do electric cars costs? Are they cheaper then gas fueled vehicles or more expensive? Again I don’t know. Could they ever replace my truck which I live out in the country? I’ll stick with what I got.

You don't know, so please learn more.
A lot of EV's already are capable of 3 to 400 miles, it's the PRICE that's the problem, which is always the problem with new tech...until suddenly, it isn't anymore.
Recharging in FIVE minutes like a gas fillup? My my, you sound overly generous about that.
Sometimes it only takes five minutes, other times you hear people complaining that the pumps are running too slow.
And by the way, a fifteen minute FAST CHARGE will give you almost 50 percent of your capacity which is usually more than enough to get home where you can charge overnight....sorry if that's not good enough for you. Ah well, give it a couple more years and then you won't be able to complain about that either.

You said right here that you don't understand how this stuff works.
That's true...but you sound a little bit like a buggy whip maker yelling "GET A HORSE!".

EV's aren't for everybody but they ARE GOING to BE a preferred choice for a lot of people in the very near future.
They're just still a wee bit too pricey right now, that's all.

Tarriffs work both ways. "Economic warfare" can only get you so far before both nations start to feel the bite. "Victory" in a economic war means economic MAD.
Don't fear it. Economic warfare will work in our favor. If we continue to trade our wealth to China, we will most certainly lose our economic status.

Citation please
There have been numerous peer-reviewed studies done. EVs powered by either coal power plants or corn-based ethanol pollute considerably more than ICE vehicles. Furthermore, the extra weight makes EVs cost more for road maintenance. Heavier vehicles also generate more particulate pollution from tire wear. EVs require more materials and energy to build and propel them, adding to emissions and energy use.

Life cycle air quality impacts of conventional and alternative light-duty transportation in the United States - Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Volume 111, Number 52, 2014
Make electric vehicles lighter to maximize climate and safety benefits - Nature, 2021

What makes you believe this?

Then you do not know much. Lithium-ion batteries will only function in a temperature range between 32°F (0°C) and 104°F (40°C). If it is outside that temperature range, not only will the battery not provide a charge, but you cannot charge the battery either. Well over half the nation freezes during the Winter. Which means if you don't have a heated garage to keep your EV above freezing, you will be the proud owner of a very expensive metal brick that won't go anywhere.

Both range and speed are affected in the cold. Batteries dramatically drop in efficiency near freezing.
The lithium-ion batteries in EVs include heaters to keep them above freezing when they are in operation. Of course those heaters also require power, and that also has to be factored into the battery drain. You also never want to charge a frozen lithium-ion battery. Doing so even once will result in a sudden, severe, and permanent capacity loss on the order of several dozen percent or more, as well a similar and also permanent increase in internal resistance. You will effectively destroy your battery if you attempt to charge it when it is too cold. If it is too hot, it will not accept a charge, you will also damage the battery, and it could start a fire.

Back
Top Bottom