• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cable Emancipaatrion

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I have so many questions. We had.a new cell tower built about 200m from our property, can’t see it in the green months and it really isn’t an eyesore in the winter. Our cell service had sucked, to put it mildly; and then one day this February four bars!

We have been paying more attention to the cable bill and it seems much too high. Verizon has been offering an internet package, ($45 guaranteed for 5 years,) we would have to decide what entertainment packages to invest in. I want to go to the store and verify what speeds this comes with and other tech ignorant questions.

The missus is looking at FUBO, she wants tennis and ACC hoops. I like the occasional soccer match, UEFA, Premier, La Liga….

How do you control the channels with a service like FUBO, is there a remote, is it controlled with a cell phone or is the device remote act as a control?

You need a streaming device or smarttv to "stream" FUBO. At the bottom of FUBO website it shows what streaming services they recommend.

We gave up cable and went to streaming and an antenna. Our streaming device is a ROKU stick. The stick is wifi connected to our internet service.

As far as controlling the ROKU stick came with a remote. It is used to change channels when streaming. Like launching Netflix, and clicking on the program we want to watch.

I have so many questions. We had.a new cell tower built about 200m from our property, can’t see it in the green months and it really isn’t an eyesore in the winter. Our cell service had sucked, to put it mildly; and then one day this February four bars!

We have been paying more attention to the cable bill and it seems much too high. Verizon has been offering an internet package, ($45 guaranteed for 5 years,) we would have to decide what entertainment packages to invest in. I want to go to the store and verify what speeds this comes with and other tech ignorant questions.

The missus is looking at FUBO, she wants tennis and ACC hoops. I like the occasional soccer match, UEFA, Premier, La Liga….

How do you control the channels with a service like FUBO, is there a remote, is it controlled with a cell phone or is the device remote act as a control?
Probably the device remote you use FUBO on.. Roku? Fire stick?

Yeah, I assume you either have a smart TV or ROKU or something that has a remote,.

I can't post here what I was paying for phone and cable, it's obscene and embarrassing. We got VOIP for phone, and streaming TV. Much happier. I don't really watch TV though, so it was mostly the misses.

Is there a free app for the cellphone to act as a remote?

I checked the download speed on my cable/internet service this morning, the cable provider download speed is 345 mbps. I have no frame of reference for that.
I picked up a trial “gadget” from Verizon, it’s called LTE Home Internet. The new gadget has a download speed of 50.8 mbps. Just accessing the web, can’t tell any difference.Was I getting more than I needed from the cable provider? Me and the missus may be online at the same time, don’t do any super-gaming and watch some movies now and then. Is 50mbps adequate? I know how judge measurements on a yardstick, but have no clue with mbps. Little help?

This was one of the sites that I used: https://fiber.google.com/speedtest/

Have no clue how the extra “a’“ and the errant “r” got in the title…….🤷

345 is plenty for anything... .. 50 should be ok too..As long as you don't have too many devices on it... If you get Fubo, that's video, video uses a lot of mbps.. So figure that in..

I have a Fire stick on 1 TV.. A Roku on another TV...

I prefer the Roku.. Faster.. Cleaner interface.. Easier to get around...
I haven't tried that one. Here's how we decided on the Fire Stick.

My Wife : I think that we should get a Fire Stick.
Me : wtf is that
Mw : it lets you watch TV without plugging the ****ing computer into it.
Me : ok, cool

Later

Mw : Here's the Fire stick
Me : oh, cool
Mw : I'm going to plug it in
Me : ok
Mw : see, it works. Here's how to get youtube videos on the tv to encourage the toddler to stop yelling
Me : great. It doesn't have faux on it, does it?
Mw : **** no
Me : disco.

The end.

I got the Roku ultra - I know they do have an app. I would guess the voice search probably works on that...

Yeah, I assume you either have a smart TV or ROKU or something that has a remote,.

I can't post here what I was paying for phone and cable, it's obscene and embarrassing. We got VOIP for phone, and streaming TV. Much happier. I don't really watch TV though, so it was mostly the misses.

Yeah, I won't say what I was paying either, for internet and Directv. But I will say that I now have better internet (it will go up after 2 years but I want to switch to Google fiber anyway, which should be here early next year) and am paying less with Hulu + live tv, Starz, Peacock & BritBox. Prime may push it to the same price or slightly more than Directv, but SO much more to watch.

"Hey let's get rid of cable and get an Internet streaming service that costs just as much!"

I have YoutubeTV and that shit is just as expensive as cable or satellite TV ever was. FUBO can get up there as well.

"Hey let's get rid of cable and get an Internet streaming service that costs just as much!"

I have YoutubeTV and that shit is just as expensive as cable or satellite TV ever was. FUBO can get up there as well.

I guess it depends on what you had/what you were paying, before. I was paying a lot more at Directv and getting a lot less than I am now.

Yeah, I won't say what I was paying either, for internet and Directv. But I will say that I now have better internet (it will go up after 2 years but I want to switch to Google fiber anyway, which should be here early next year) and am paying less with Hulu + live tv, Starz, Peacock & BritBox. Prime may push it to the same price or slightly more than Directv, but SO much more to watch.

Yeah, they upgraded our internet and the bill was less. Criminal!

I suppose it's good for people to see.

*If you still have an old land line and cable, consider alternatives that are in the $30/phone, and $60/streaming range replacements.

Alternatively, call them and raise hell at their exorbitant rates and get it reduced.

I guess it depends on what you had/what you were paying, before. I was paying a lot more at Directv and getting a lot less than I am now.

Same. I was paying $170 a month for DIRECTV. I have YouTube Tv and it’s $65 a month.

Same. I was paying $170 a month for DIRECTV. I have YouTube Tv and it’s $65 a month.

Wow. I was paying $147. Now it's $94 for Hulu + live & Starz. Somewhere around $11 for Peacock and somewhere around the same for Britbox. Prime is like $9. So much better.

Wow. I was paying $147. Now it's $94 for Hulu + live & Starz. Somewhere around $11 for Peacock and somewhere around the same for Britbox. Prime is like $9. So much better.
My family and I all share our streaming services. It’s way cheaper than cable and you have better options.

My family and I all share our streaming services. It’s way cheaper than cable and you have better options.

Yeah, we share ours as much as we can. Vudu too, although the movies are so specific to whoever has the account that I'm not sure it's as useful to share. My daughter and I do share the same tastes in scary movies though, so she watched several of those over Halloween. I wish I would have switched from cable years ago

Is there a free app for the cellphone to act as a remote?

You can buy a 4K Amazon Firestick for 30 bucks, and have 30 days to return it if you don't like the remote.

Actually, you have until JAN 31 2024 to return it!

+1

The only way to go, especially as I pay for the internet and the kids pay for all the apps!

Back
Top Bottom