• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Buffer zone' needed to fight terror, says Turkey's opposition chief

You still have not been able to back up your claims that we target innocent civilians and brand them as terrorists. Please stop posting, your BS is getting embarrassing.

ROFL.
You make it up as you go along dont you? Easily the biggest BSitter on DP.
Kaya, this is a personal attack and is completely in violation of the rules of this forum.
100 Kurds murdered just a few weeks ago? Provide a link.
BBC NEWS | Europe | Turk Iraq raids 'killed hundreds'
Why are you providing me a link with what nationalist governments in the 90's done? Turks and past administration have continuously denounced and disgraced these disgusting events. That very administration had to be removed by the military in the end.
It is very unfortunate that this administration's legacy has transferred to those who've used to oppose it.

Kaya, this is a personal attack and is completely in violation of the rules of this forum.
BBC NEWS | Europe | Turk Iraq raids 'killed hundreds'

Turkish forces have killed hundreds of Kurdish rebels and struck more than 200 targets in northern Iraq in the past 10 days, the Turkish military has said.

And?Where are the"innocents"? Also, did you or did you not say "the other week". This article dates from 2007. :)

It is very unfortunate that this administration's legacy has transferred to those who've used to oppose it.

elaborate?

Last edited:
So the point of your argument is to condemn Turkey for killing over 100 terrorists and not having any civilian causalities? Got ya.

Turkey says they're rebels, I'm not going to take the word of Turkey more than I'd take the word of the PKK.

Turkey says they're rebels, I'm not going to take the word of Turkey more than I'd take the word of the PKK.

If your baseless fears had any meaning we would have claims by civilians in the North of Iraq and by Barzani's government that 100 civilians have gone missing. Please, exercise a degree of logic. I've also stated that; none of Turkey's targets are not clarified by the security triangle mechanism. It is beyond me why you do not trust TAF, but then again i have no idea what is going on in your head.

It is beyond me why you do not trust TAF, but then again i have no idea what is going on in your head.
Simply trying to see how you think when you're saying that there is no difference between the IDF and Hamas.

Kaya said:
Kemalist nationalism in No part advocates the FORCED ethnic integration of others.
It believes in the national term "Turk".
Really? And what were you saying about "1980"?

Turkey's War on the Kurds. - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists | HighBeam Research
Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Article date: March 1999
McKiernan, Kevin

Behind army lines in the Turkish province of Siirt, scores of frightened refugees were on the run. They were Kurdish families, fleeing a village that had recently been burned by the Turkish army. When I caught up to them, they were fording the Tigris River, guiding a long line of donkeys laden with refrigerators and other goods.

In the village, most of the houses were in ashes. Only a handful of residents had returned to scavenge some of their belongings. The local mayor told me that an army commander, accompanied by a group of government-armed village guards, had arrived and given residents 24 hours to get out of town. Some quickly dug holes in the outlying fields to bury valuables; others just gathered up what they could carry and abandoned the rest.
[............]
At 25 million, the Kurds are the largest ethnic group in the world without their own state. With a similar language, religion, and culture, the Kurds have lived for thousands of years in an area that is now part of Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Syria, and the former Soviet Union. Today, the 15 million Kurds who live in Turkey constitute about 25% of that country's population.

After World War I, Kurds hoped to create a homeland from the wreckage of the Ottoman Empire, but those dreams vanished with the birth of the Turkish Republic in 1923. Riding a wave of nationalism, Mustafa Kemal--known as Ataturk, "the Father of the Turks"--Imposed a single identity on the multicultural population of Turkmans, Armenians, Assyrians, Kurds, and others. Most minorities were FORCIBLY assimilated; everyone became a Turk.
[.............]
The war in Turkey represents the single Largest use of U.S. weapons anywhere in the world by non-U.S. forces, according to Bill Hartung of the World Policy Institute.....

In 15 years of fighting in Turkey nearly 40,000 lives have been lost, more than in the conflicts on the West Bank and in Northern Ireland combined.
The Two Million refugees produce by the war in Kurdistan
are roughly the number of homeless created by the widely reported war in Bosnia, where U.S. weapons were not a factor. In contrast, 75% of the Turkish arsenal was made in the United States, according to estimates.

Despite these statistics, the civil strife in Turkey has received comparatively little coverage in the U.S. media. Television news rarely mentions the Kurds, unless the story relates to the Iraqi Kurds. It is almost as though there are two sets of Kurds--the Kurds in Iraq, who seem to be viewed as the "good" Kurds because they oppose Saddam, and the Kurds in Turkey, who are "bad" because they oppose a U.S. ally. It doesn't seem to matter that there are four times as many Kurds in Turkey, or that both populations have suffered repression from their respective governments.

Until 1991, Kurdish Music and Language, Dress, Associations, and Newspapers were Banned by the Turkish government. After the Gulf War, Kurdish printing was legalized, but in the intervening years numerous Kurdish newspaper offices have been bombed and closed. More than a dozen Kurdish journalists, as well as numerous politicians and activists, have been killed by death squads (human rights groups list more that 4,000 extrajudicial killings during the period).
Despite 15 years of fighting the PKK, Turkey today has no POWs; most rebels, according to the government, have been "captured dead." But there are large numbers of civilian Kurds in Turkish prisons where, according to organizations like Amnesty International, the use of torture is routine.

Kurdish TV and radio are still illegal in Turkey, although the government has promised to soften the ban. The Kurdish language still may not be taught in schools or used by merchants on storefronts or in advertising. It is illegal in Turkey for parents to give their child a Kurdish name....
Update: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurds_in_Turkey
Human rights

Turkey's treatment of its citizens of Kurdish origin has been a frequent subject of international criticism.[1]
Kurds have largely resisted assimilation policies of the government. The main strategy for assimilation has been suppression of the Kurdish language. Nevertheless, Kurdish is widely spoken.[2][15]

The period immediately following the 1980 Turkish coup d'état was particularly oppressive (not just in respect to ethnic Kurds), when use of Kurdish language in public was banned. The ban was lifted in 1991 during the presidency of Turgut Özal, who was of partial Kurdish descent.[16]

Turkish remains the only official language, and the use of any other language is not allowed in political life or public services. In 2003, the Turkish Parliament eased restrictions on Kurdish language rights in Turkey, however Kurds are largely banned from giving their children Kurdish names.[17]

Last edited:
Really? And what were you saying about "1980"?

Turkey's War on the Kurds. - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists | HighBeam Research
Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Article date: March 1999
McKiernan, Kevin

Firstly, the administrations of this era used violent nationalism to do what they done. It wasn't kemalist nationalism, that's for sure!

Lastly, no longer the case according to recent constitutional amendments.

Simply trying to see how you think when you're saying that there is no difference between the IDF and Hamas.

Im pretty sure i said i wondered if there ever was a difference. Then i realized there was.
There approach is completely different.
Hamas blasts rockets using RPG's into innocent homes.
Israel uses laser guided missiles. :)

ROFL.
You make it up as you go along dont you? Easily the biggest BSitter on DP. 100 Kurds murdered just a few weeks ago? Provide a link.
Why are you providing me a link with what nationalist governments in the 90's done? Turks and past administration have continuously denounced and disgraced these disgusting events. That very administration had to be removed by the military in the end.

Moderator's Warning:
Knock off the personal attacks, kaya.

Back
Top Bottom