• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Buffalo students told ‘all white people play a part in perpetuating systemic racism’

At a time, in my opinion, when race relations in America are at an all time low, Buffalo school teachers apparently are required to use this curriculum in grades K-12.

The story of Buffalo Public Schools is a sad and familiar one: a dying industrial town, underperforming inner-city schools, and high rates of failure among racial minorities. Instead of focusing on improving academic achievement, however, Buffalo school administrators have adopted fashionable new pedagogies: “culturally responsive teaching,” “pedagogy of liberation,” “equity-based instructional strategies,” and an “emancipatory curriculum.”

Buffalo Public Schools diversity czar Fatima Morrell, architect of the district’s pedagogical revolution, summarizes these dense phrases in a single word: “woke.” Last year, in her role as director of the Office of Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Initiatives, Morrell created a new curriculum promoting Black Lives Matter in the classroom and an “antiracist” training program for teachers. According to one veteran teacher, who requested anonymity, Morrell’s training programs have pushed “radical politics” and, in practice, become a series of “scoldings, guilt-trips, and demands to demean oneself simply to make another feel ‘empowered.’” Teachers must submit to these “manipulative mind games” and express support for Morrell’s left-wing politics, or risk professional retaliation.

View attachment 67324756

"In kindergarten, teachers ask students to compare their skin color with an arrangement of crayons and watch a video that dramatizes dead black children speaking to them from beyond the grave about the dangers of being killed by “racist police and state-sanctioned violence.”

"After Morrell’s presentation, one teacher reaffirmed this political imperative, declaring that students must become “activists for antiracism” and public school teachers should begin “preparing them at four years old.”

"Buffalo Public School Administrator denial!

Lessons being taught based on Black Lives Matter principles, which the author finds disturbing, are being taken 'out of context,' . WGRZ link

I was also able to find the following in the Buffalo Public Schools Black Lives Matter written curriculum.

What are the guiding principles of the Black Lives Matter in Schools curriculum? There are 13 BLM Guiding Principles, please find the links here: 13 Guiding Principles and Kid-Friendly 13 Guiding Principles Buffalo Public Schools focuses its First Weeks lessons on the following Guiding Principles: Diversity, Restorative Justice, Collective Value, Empathy, and Loving Engagement. These principles are defined as: ● Collective Value means that all Black lives, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location, matter. ● Empathy is one’s ability to connect with others by building relationships built on mutual trust and understanding. ● Diversity is the celebration and acknowledgment of differences and commonalities across cultures. ● Loving Engagement is the commitment to practice justice, liberation, and peace. ● Restorative Justice is the commitment to build a beloved and loving community that is sustainable and growing.
View attachment 67324764

So, the question is, What are the Buffalo School Teachers Teaching? I think for a very significant percentage of teachers, they will put the kids education first, and leave the politics, bias, and prejudice out of the classroom. But, I'm also concerned that a minority of them will not.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1LGslwJwhXvpVnDgw0uC-n794l6EGzpuH

The question isn't what are they teaching. The question is why are these people on the board. Why do parents allow this.

The Liberal Progressives are the ones whining as they are the ones trying to find and blame "oppressors". Conservatives and Independents are looking around wondering why Liberal Progressives are angrily pointing their fingers at them. You have it about as wrong as any person can be wrong... but that is not unusual.

Depends if you want to blame white kids or just teach them that it happens... and systemic racism is a myth. There is plenty of racism though.

You're playing the victim right now.

I haven't heard anything about a video like you describe, do you have a link? Systemic response? LOL

You saw the video in a previous post. Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

The curriculum was anti- systemic -racism, based. It was accompanied by a video of young black children/youth that were murdered by whites/police.

These are the first victims depicted in the video. These kids were walking, playing sleeping and standing when they were murdered.

Trayvon Martin, 17 old black teenager (pictured as a 13 old) killed by a white/Hispanic.

On November 22, 2014, Tamir Rice, a 12-year old African-American boy, was killed in Cleveland, Ohio, by Timothy Loehmann, a 26-year-old white police officer. Rice was carrying a replica toy gun; Loehmann shot him almost immediately after arriving on the scene.

Kimani Gray black 16 yr old was shot by two plainclothes officers in East Flatbush in March of 2013 after police said he pulled a gun on them. Gray's family and supporters have argued that no witnesses saw Gray with a gun. A gun was recovered from the scene, according to police.

White Texas police officer kills unarmed and nonthreatening African-American teenager. The police officer was convicted in this case.

I'm not saying the deaths of these individuals are not very sad or justified. Black Lives Do Matter!

You may not see the message in this video, but I bet the 6yr old kindergarteners in the Buffalo Schools do or will figure it out!

Last edited:
At a time, in my opinion, when race relations in America are at an all time low, Buffalo school teachers apparently are required to use this curriculum in grades K-12.

The story of Buffalo Public Schools is a sad and familiar one: a dying industrial town, underperforming inner-city schools, and high rates of failure among racial minorities. Instead of focusing on improving academic achievement, however, Buffalo school administrators have adopted fashionable new pedagogies: “culturally responsive teaching,” “pedagogy of liberation,” “equity-based instructional strategies,” and an “emancipatory curriculum.”

Buffalo Public Schools diversity czar Fatima Morrell, architect of the district’s pedagogical revolution, summarizes these dense phrases in a single word: “woke.” Last year, in her role as director of the Office of Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Initiatives, Morrell created a new curriculum promoting Black Lives Matter in the classroom and an “antiracist” training program for teachers. According to one veteran teacher, who requested anonymity, Morrell’s training programs have pushed “radical politics” and, in practice, become a series of “scoldings, guilt-trips, and demands to demean oneself simply to make another feel ‘empowered.’” Teachers must submit to these “manipulative mind games” and express support for Morrell’s left-wing politics, or risk professional retaliation.

View attachment 67324756

"In kindergarten, teachers ask students to compare their skin color with an arrangement of crayons and watch a video that dramatizes dead black children speaking to them from beyond the grave about the dangers of being killed by “racist police and state-sanctioned violence.”

"After Morrell’s presentation, one teacher reaffirmed this political imperative, declaring that students must become “activists for antiracism” and public school teachers should begin “preparing them at four years old.”

Lessons being taught based on Black Lives Matter principles, which the author finds disturbing, are being taken 'out of context,' . WGRZ link

I was also able to find the following in the Buffalo Public Schools Black Lives Matter written curriculum.

What are the guiding principles of the Black Lives Matter in Schools curriculum? There are 13 BLM Guiding Principles, please find the links here: 13 Guiding Principles and Kid-Friendly 13 Guiding Principles Buffalo Public Schools focuses its First Weeks lessons on the following Guiding Principles: Diversity, Restorative Justice, Collective Value, Empathy, and Loving Engagement. These principles are defined as: ● Collective Value means that all Black lives, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location, matter. ● Empathy is one’s ability to connect with others by building relationships built on mutual trust and understanding. ● Diversity is the celebration and acknowledgment of differences and commonalities across cultures. ● Loving Engagement is the commitment to practice justice, liberation, and peace. ● Restorative Justice is the commitment to build a beloved and loving community that is sustainable and growing.
View attachment 67324764

So, the question is, What are the Buffalo School Teachers Teaching? I think for a very significant percentage of teachers, they will put the kids education first, and leave the politics, bias, and prejudice out of the classroom. But, I'm also concerned that a minority of them will not.

It's a race to the bottom and our enemies are enjoying our decline.

is it surprising parents put their kids in private school?

Last edited:
Buffalo students told ‘all white people play a part in perpetuating systemic racism’
So...it has come to fighting Racism with Racism....why am I not surprised.

Maybe we have different definitions of, "teaching". A curriculum that includes a discussion about the historically marginalized voices of minority verses a curriculum that flat out tells students it's a fact that minorities are marginalized and that all white people perpetuate racism (like the fact that the temperature of freezing is 32 degrees for example) are very different things.

Teachers who afraid to just discuss this are very fragile. What is he afraid of, kids that might be exposed to ideas that shouldn't be talked about? It's understandable, most conservatives are in denial about racism so discussing it gives it credence they believe it doesn't deserve. I believe this teacher is most likely white, hence white fragility. That is correct...

Agree. If conservatives knew some of the topics that normal teachers led with students in order to develop their critical thinking and to encourage them to form their own opinions about complicated, sometimes controversial topics, they'd throw themselves down the nearest stairwell, crawl back to the top, and then throw themselves down it again. Because sometimes those topics are about political and social issues, occasionally current events that students want to talk about.

So many conservatives are suspicious of education because they have little familiarity with it. The New York Post knows that. They'll toss in enough trigger words and phrases to elicit the moral outrage and sense of victimhood that its conservative readers are looking for.

You saw the video in a previous post. Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

The curriculum was anti- systemic -racism, based. It was accompanied by a video of young black children/youth that were murdered by whites/police.

These are the first victims depicted in the video. These kids were walking, playing sleeping and standing when they were murdered.

Trayvon Martin, 17 old black teenager (pictured as a 13 old) killed by a white/Hispanic.

On November 22, 2014, Tamir Rice, a 12-year old African-American boy, was killed in Cleveland, Ohio, by Timothy Loehmann, a 26-year-old white police officer. Rice was carrying a replica toy gun; Loehmann shot him almost immediately after arriving on the scene.

Kimani Gray black 16 yr old was shot by two plainclothes officers in East Flatbush in March of 2013 after police said he pulled a gun on them. Gray's family and supporters have argued that no witnesses saw Gray with a gun. A gun was recovered from the scene, according to police.

White Texas police officer kills unarmed and nonthreatening African-American teenager. The police officer was convicted in this case.

I'm not saying the deaths of these individuals are not very sad or justified. Black Lives Do Matter!

You may not see the message in this video, but I bet the 6yr old kindergarteners in the Buffalo Schools do or will figure it out!

"Do you believe these discussions should start with 6 year olds?...
...including a video of young black children that have been murdered by white racist people /cops....
"

Of course there're all kinds of videos about all kinds of murders, I was responding to your statement above. I had (apparently mistakenly) thought your were claiming that the curriculum included playing and having 6 year old's actually watch black children being murdered by cops in the classroom.

I'm sorry you and many conservatives believe that making anyone, including kids aware of the racism they face as political. It's no more political that making anyone aware of sexism, or homophobia in our society...

"Do you believe these discussions should start with 6 year olds?...
...including a video of young black children that have been murdered by white racist people /cops....
"

Of course there're all kinds of videos about all kinds of murders, I was responding to your statement above. I had (apparently mistakenly) thought your were claiming that the curriculum included playing and having 6 year old's actually watch black children being murdered by cops in the classroom. (y)

I'm sorry you and many conservatives believe that making anyone, including kids aware of the racism they face as political. It's no more political that making anyone aware of sexism, or homophobia in our society...

Having black and white kids (especially before they have formed a strong prejudice) together is a great opportunity to make them aware of and understand racism and prejudice in America. And, I'm sure you would agree that a constructive and unbiased approach (K-12) could also go a long way in deescalating the division between black and white America.

Unfortunately, I think it's also political by the labeling and almost daily accusations of racism toward white republicans and/or white conservatives by many of our political leaders in this country. I don't see compromise in the words of either side.

Last edited:
Having black and white kids (especially before they have formed a strong prejudice) together is a great opportunity to make them aware of and understand racism and prejudice in America. And, I'm sure you would agree that a constructive and unbiased approach (K-12) could also go a long way in deescalating the division between black and white America.

Unfortunately, I think it's also political by the labeling and almost daily accusations of racism toward white republicans and/or white conservatives by many of our political leaders in this country. I don't see compromise in the words of either side.

Agree on first point. If we're talking about adults now, conservatives have opposed the fight for civil rights and against racism since our country was founded. Conservatives seem to believe that in 2021 we have finally overcome racism and it's no longer a major hindrance to people of color. But what conservatives don't realize is they've felt the same way and claimed the thing after we freed the slaves, after we stopped their lynchings, after we forced them to allow blacks to sit with whites at lunch counters and in buses, after we stopped their redlining blacks out of white neighborhoods and after people of color achieved powerful positions.

So now conservatives are following the exact same pattern they have for hundreds of years and they still are unable to see, to grasp, to look at their past history and understand that this is yet another rerun of what they've said over and over again. I can asure, you we have not overcome racism and it continues to be a major hindrance to people of color and the current fight to overcome systemic racism will probably be the most difficult to overcome. You won't be seeing people of color compromising on racism anymore than you would see all Americans compromising on their freedom. Given our history and how slowly our society changes (thanks to conservatives), you can rest assured that in the coming years, after every hard won battle over racism, your kids and your your grandkids will be claiming the same thing...

If we're talking about adults now, conservatives have opposed the fight for civil rights and against racism since our country was founded. Conservatives seem to believe that in 2021 we have finally overcome racism and it's no longer a major hindrance to people of color. But what conservatives don't realize is they've felt the same way and claimed the thing after we freed the slaves, after we stopped their lynchings, after we forced them to allow blacks to sit with whites at lunch counters and in buses, after we stopped their redlining blacks out of white and after people of color achieved powerful positions.

So now conservatives are following the exact same pattern they have for hundreds of years and they still are unable to see, to grasp, to look at their past history and understand that this is yet another rerun of what they've said over and over again. I can asure, you we have not overcome racism and it continues to be a major hindrance to people of color and the current fight to overcome systemic racism will probably be the most difficult to overcome. You won't be seeing people of color compromising on racism anymore than you would see all Americans compromising on their freedom. Given our history and how slowly our society changes (thanks to conservatives), you can rest assured that in the coming years, after every hard won battle over racism, your kids and your your grandkids will be claiming the same thing...

OK, glad too hear you agree. "Having black and white kids (especially before they have formed a strong prejudice) together is a great opportunity to make them aware of and understand racism and prejudice in America. And, I'm sure you would agree that a constructive and unbiased approach (K-12) could also go a long way in deescalating the division between black and white America?

And, I would be happy and anxious to discuss conservatives, racism and systemic racism. But, for the purpose of this thread, and I believe importance of this discussion, is you answering the question, do you think that (not the written curriculum), but the message of Fatima Morrell and the Black Lives Matter video for 6 yr olds is an appropriate way to start a constructive and unbiased approach (K-12) that could lead the way in deescalating the division between black and white America?

In the meantime, I'll start my response on your post above.

From my first post;
"...the curriculum is designed to empower students and teach historically marginalized voices. The materials are meant to be used as "fodder for discussion," not hard and fast facts. She [Ms. Morrell ] called the claims that the district is telling students that all white people perpetuate racism a decontextualization pulled out to be "sensational."

Second try;
"...However, educators at BPS are not organizing lesson plans around that one phrase, which is for middle school students only, nor are they pushing any of the research as hard and fast facts...."

I don't know how many times or how many ways to answer your question. See above, it's not being taught, it's being used as fodder for discussion. You do realize there's a difference don't you? I don't know if you're playing dumb, but my reference to gun control is an analogy that I believe most posters here understood. So "one veteran teacher, who requested anonymity" (no balls or courage) is outraged when marginalized voices of minorities and systemic racism is discussed. I would call that fragility and would lay odds that it's white fragility...
At the middle school age, I would question the veracity of the differences. It doesn't really matter if it is being taught as fact, it will be remembered thusly at that age. Critical thinking skills don't really develop and "fodder for discussion" doesn't really become apt, until college. In middle school, they might as well be on in the same. (facts and fodder)

The bottom line is that we shouldn't be teaching or talking about stuff without significant research showing it is accurate. CRT is not based in reality, it is based in some alternate reality where every bad thing that has happened to the black community is because of racism.

OK, glad too hear you agree. "Having black and white kids (especially before they have formed a strong prejudice) together is a great opportunity to make them aware of and understand racism and prejudice in America. And, I'm sure you would agree that a constructive and unbiased approach (K-12) could also go a long way in deescalating the division between black and white America?

And, I would be happy and anxious to discuss conservatives, racism and systemic racism. But, for the purpose of this thread, and I believe importance of this discussion, is you answering the question, do you think that (not the written curriculum), but the message of Fatima Morrell and the Black Lives Matter video for 6 yr olds is an appropriate way to start a constructive and unbiased approach (K-12) that could lead the way in deescalating the division between black and white America?

In the meantime, I'll start my response on your post above.

I'm all for including Black Lives Matter principles into a schools curriculum. I think the video you linked is too much, too soon for 6 year olds (1st grade), but fine for 4th or 5th grades and above. Your question is academic as I can't anyone proposing that this be shown in a classroom of 6 year olds.

I think this video is suited for 6 year olds in a 1st grade class;

At the middle school age, I would question the veracity of the differences. It doesn't really matter if it is being taught as fact, it will be remembered thusly at that age. Critical thinking skills don't really develop and "fodder for discussion" doesn't really become apt, until college. In middle school, they might as well be on in the same. (facts and fodder)

The bottom line is that we shouldn't be teaching or talking about stuff without significant research showing it is accurate. CRT is not based in reality, it is based in some alternate reality where every bad thing that has happened to the black community is because of racism.

You greatly underestimate the critical thinking of American kids. I don't believe talking about the racism people of color face will have kids believing that all white people are racist. Believing racism shouldn't be discussed until college is ridiculous. How can kids be taught about slavery and the history of how blacks have been treated for hundred of years in America without discussing racism? Do you think teachers should just say that was all in the past, and it's no problem now? Or talking about it makes me (the teacher) feel uncomfortable?

Fathers have to have, "the talk" with their boys when they grow big enough to be perceived by the police to be a threat, that could happen when they're 16 years old. There's no reason to not discuss the racism in the classroom that requires this talk at home. I won't debate people who believe the racism people of color currently face, "is based in some alternate reality", it's just to far from the reality I live in. It's not just you, I wouldn't debate someone who believes liberals kill children to drink their blood either...

Piaget’s Four Stages
StageAgeGoal
SensorimotorBirth to 18-24 monthsObject permanence
Preoperational2 to 7 years oldSymbolic thought
Concrete operationalAges 7 to 11 yearsLogical thought
Formal operationalAdolescence to adulthoodScientific reasoning

CRT will be indoctrinated into every school by these racist people. It's not about race it's about shifting power. The virtue signaling and D.E.I. teachings are a part of reparations and social justice.

In a nation that looks back at a history of hundreds of years of slavery, a Civil War fought to end it, post war Jim Crow laws, battles over desegregation, roving lynch mobs, police brutality, and more.....it's a bit odd that anyone could honestly claim that race relations are at an all time low. Well, unless you consider that to the average white conservative man, nothing could possibly be worse than someone forcing them to undertake a bit of introspection as to America's far from stellar record on race. And, even more horrifying, the notion that even well meaning people sometimes help to perpetuate systems that leave minorities at a disadvantage.

After all, your average white kid learns very little about these things growing up. Sure, we are taught that slavery existed and we learn of the Civil War. We remember the names of some of the generals and the important battles fought. But are we ever really asked to embrace the full ugliness of the black experience in America? The generations of enslaved people? What it really means when your government considers you 60% of a white person? The more than a century of battling for basic equality following emancipation? What it feels like to grow up as a black child in the South and walk to a school named after a Confederate leader who believed he had a God given right to own people who look like you?

Hard questions? Sure, but fair. I think white fragility can handle a little bit of introspection about how we have failed black Americans in the past and continue to do so today.

And the simple response is all the above may be true, and yet, the curriculum, as alleged, and some aspects of the training, as alleged, is objectionable.

Just like when any sort of gun control is proposed and conservatives start screaming that liberals are coming to take their guns away, many times their imagination gets the better of them. From discussion to teaching, this is another example,

"...the curriculum is designed to empower students and teach historically marginalized voices. The materials are meant to be used as "fodder for discussion," not hard and fast facts. She called the claims that the district is telling students that all white people perpetuate racism a decontextualization pulled out to be "sensational."

It's about time America's kids are taught about how people of color are marginalized and faced and with systemic racism. Whitewashing life in America is not putting our kids education first. Truth is not prejudice or political, much less discussing it...

An objection is to the propaganda. It is one thing to teach historical facts, it is another to teach propaganda, especially propaganda from a specific POV.

An objection is to the propaganda. It is one thing to teach historical facts, it is another to teach propaganda, especially propaganda from a specific POV.

If you believe shouldn't discuss systemic racism, how about children of color discussing the historical facts of their own experiences of the racism they've personally endured?...

View attachment 67324756

View attachment 67324764

It's hilarious how little a sense of irony people have when they tell people of a certain race that they're all racists.

Who gives a shit what woke white liberals say.

It's all BS anyways.

When minorities move in, they move out.

They love preaching their moral authority at a distance from minorities.

View attachment 67324756

View attachment 67324764

Thanks for my first chuckle of the day.

I needed that.

If some bleeding hearts think life is hard for non-Caucasians now, just wait until most of the Caucasians are gone by the end of the century!

What FOOLS!

Who gives a shit what woke white liberals say.

It's all BS anyways.

When minorities move in, they move out.

They love preaching their moral authority at a distance from minorities.

So true.

They are the biggest hypocrites in the world! (And they know it. That's why they were so infuriated by President Trump.)

View attachment 67324756

View attachment 67324764

I'm so glad I moved away from New York a long time ago.

Is it not possible that facts can be used as propaganda?

View attachment 67324756

View attachment 67324764

And don't believe that the education system has become a liberal / progressive indoctrination system?

Back
Top Bottom