• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Buffalo students told ‘all white people play a part in perpetuating systemic racism’

Tonawanda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
At a time, in my opinion, when race relations in America are at an all time low, Buffalo school teachers apparently are required to use this curriculum in grades K-12.

The story of Buffalo Public Schools is a sad and familiar one: a dying industrial town, underperforming inner-city schools, and high rates of failure among racial minorities. Instead of focusing on improving academic achievement, however, Buffalo school administrators have adopted fashionable new pedagogies: “culturally responsive teaching,” “pedagogy of liberation,” “equity-based instructional strategies,” and an “emancipatory curriculum.”

Buffalo Public Schools diversity czar Fatima Morrell, architect of the district’s pedagogical revolution, summarizes these dense phrases in a single word: “woke.” Last year, in her role as director of the Office of Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Initiatives, Morrell created a new curriculum promoting Black Lives Matter in the classroom and an “antiracist” training program for teachers. According to one veteran teacher, who requested anonymity, Morrell’s training programs have pushed “radical politics” and, in practice, become a series of “scoldings, guilt-trips, and demands to demean oneself simply to make another feel ‘empowered.’” Teachers must submit to these “manipulative mind games” and express support for Morrell’s left-wing politics, or risk professional retaliation.

1616668451118.png

"In kindergarten, teachers ask students to compare their skin color with an arrangement of crayons and watch a video that dramatizes dead black children speaking to them from beyond the grave about the dangers of being killed by “racist police and state-sanctioned violence.”

"After Morrell’s presentation, one teacher reaffirmed this political imperative, declaring that students must become “activists for antiracism” and public school teachers should begin “preparing them at four years old.”

"Buffalo Public School Administrator denial!

Lessons being taught based on Black Lives Matter principles, which the author finds disturbing, are being taken 'out of context,' . WGRZ link

I was also able to find the following in the Buffalo Public Schools Black Lives Matter written curriculum.

What are the guiding principles of the Black Lives Matter in Schools curriculum? There are 13 BLM Guiding Principles, please find the links here: 13 Guiding Principles and Kid-Friendly 13 Guiding Principles Buffalo Public Schools focuses its First Weeks lessons on the following Guiding Principles: Diversity, Restorative Justice, Collective Value, Empathy, and Loving Engagement. These principles are defined as: ● Collective Value means that all Black lives, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location, matter. ● Empathy is one’s ability to connect with others by building relationships built on mutual trust and understanding. ● Diversity is the celebration and acknowledgment of differences and commonalities across cultures. ● Loving Engagement is the commitment to practice justice, liberation, and peace. ● Restorative Justice is the commitment to build a beloved and loving community that is sustainable and growing.
Black lives Matter School Curriculum.JPG

So, the question is, What are the Buffalo School Teachers Teaching? I think for a very significant percentage of teachers, they will put the kids education first, and leave the politics, bias, and prejudice out of the classroom. But, I'm also concerned that a minority of them will not.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1LGslwJwhXvpVnDgw0uC-n794l6EGzpuH

In a nation that looks back at a history of hundreds of years of slavery, a Civil War fought to end it, post war Jim Crow laws, battles over desegregation, roving lynch mobs, police brutality, and more.....it's a bit odd that anyone could honestly claim that race relations are at an all time low. Well, unless you consider that to the average white conservative man, nothing could possibly be worse than someone forcing them to undertake a bit of introspection as to America's far from stellar record on race. And, even more horrifying, the notion that even well meaning people sometimes help to perpetuate systems that leave minorities at a disadvantage.

After all, your average white kid learns very little about these things growing up. Sure, we are taught that slavery existed and we learn of the Civil War. We remember the names of some of the generals and the important battles fought. But are we ever really asked to embrace the full ugliness of the black experience in America? The generations of enslaved people? What it really means when your government considers you 60% of a white person? The more than a century of battling for basic equality following emancipation? What it feels like to grow up as a black child in the South and walk to a school named after a Confederate leader who believed he had a God given right to own people who look like you?

Hard questions? Sure, but fair. I think white fragility can handle a little bit of introspection about how we have failed black Americans in the past and continue to do so today.

In a nation that looks back at a history of hundreds of years of slavery, a Civil War fought to end it, post war Jim Crow laws, battles over desegregation, roving lynch mobs, police brutality, and more.....it's a bit odd that anyone could honestly claim that race relations are at an all time low. Well, unless you consider that to the average white conservative man, nothing could possibly be worse than someone forcing them to undertake a bit of introspection as to America's far from stellar record on race. And, even more horrifying, the notion that even well meaning people sometimes help to perpetuate systems that leave minorities at a disadvantage.

After all, your average white kid learns very little about these things growing up. Sure, we are taught that slavery existed and we learn of the Civil War. We remember the names of some of the generals and the important battles fought. But are we ever really asked to embrace the full ugliness of the black experience in America? The generations of enslaved people? What it really means when your government considers you 60% of a white person? The more than a century of battling for basic equality following emancipation? What it feels like to grow up as a black child in the South and walk to a school named after a Confederate leader who believed he had a God given right to own people who look like you?

Hard questions? Sure, but fair. I think white fragility can handle a little bit of introspection about how we have failed black Americans in the past and continue to do so today.

Thanks for the history lesson and opinion on white fragility.

...So, the question is, What are the Buffalo School Teachers Teaching? I think for a very significant percentage of teachers, they will put the kids education first, and leave the politics, bias, and prejudice out of the classroom. But, I'm also concerned that a minority of them will not...

Just like when any sort of gun control is proposed and conservatives start screaming that liberals are coming to take their guns away, many times their imagination gets the better of them. From discussion to teaching, this is another example,

"...the curriculum is designed to empower students and teach historically marginalized voices. The materials are meant to be used as "fodder for discussion," not hard and fast facts. She called the claims that the district is telling students that all white people perpetuate racism a decontextualization pulled out to be "sensational."

It's about time America's kids are taught about how people of color are marginalized and faced and with systemic racism. Whitewashing life in America is not putting our kids education first. Truth is not prejudice or political, much less discussing it...

Just like when any sort of gun control is proposed and conservatives start screaming that liberals are coming to take their guns away, many times their imagination gets the better of them. From discussion to teaching, this is another example,

"...the curriculum is designed to empower students and teach historically marginalized voices. The materials are meant to be used as "fodder for discussion," not hard and fast facts. She called the claims that the district is telling students that all white people perpetuate racism a decontextualization pulled out to be "sensational."

It's about time America's kids are taught about how people of color are marginalized and faced and with systemic racism. Whitewashing life in America is not putting our kids education first. Truth is not prejudice or political, much less discussing it...

SO INTERESTING,

When I first started looking into this story from several sources (links), it appeared to be mostly accurate. Because I found it disturbing and "hard to believe", I dug further to find the response of the Buffalo School System, and find an actual copy of the Black Lives Matter curriculum. In your response to the thread, you don't answer the question "What are the Buffalo School Teachers Teaching?"

Instead, you respond with gun control, conservatives, systemic racism and whitewashing! Typical, why don't you add white fragility to your list.

SO INTERESTING,

When I first started looking into this story from several sources (links), it appeared to be mostly accurate. Because I found it disturbing and "hard to believe", I dug further to find the response of the Buffalo School System, and find an actual copy of the Black Lives Matter curriculum. In your response to the thread, you don't answer the question "What are the Buffalo School Teachers Teaching?"

Instead, you respond with gun control, conservatives, systemic racism and whitewashing! Typical, why don't you add white fragility to your list...

From my first post;
"...the curriculum is designed to empower students and teach historically marginalized voices. The materials are meant to be used as "fodder for discussion," not hard and fast facts. She [Ms. Morrell ] called the claims that the district is telling students that all white people perpetuate racism a decontextualization pulled out to be "sensational."

Second try;
"...However, educators at BPS are not organizing lesson plans around that one phrase, which is for middle school students only, nor are they pushing any of the research as hard and fast facts...."

I don't know how many times or how many ways to answer your question. See above, it's not being taught, it's being used as fodder for discussion. You do realize there's a difference don't you? I don't know if you're playing dumb, but my reference to gun control is an analogy that I believe most posters here understood. So "one veteran teacher, who requested anonymity" (no balls or courage) is outraged when marginalized voices of minorities and systemic racism is discussed. I would call that fragility and would lay odds that it's white fragility...

Just train children to become obedient slaves to the system, right? Round that out with some whitewashistory (< an antonym to "woke").

Just train children to become obedient slaves to the system, right? Round that out with some whitewashistory (< an antonym to "woke").

More like a blacklash.

So what? Is the text wrong?

Middle school is not too young to learn about systematic racism.

From my first post;
"...the curriculum is designed to empower students and teach historically marginalized voices. The materials are meant to be used as "fodder for discussion," not hard and fast facts. She [Ms. Morrell ] called the claims that the district is telling students that all white people perpetuate racism a decontextualization pulled out to be "sensational."

Second try;
"...However, educators at BPS are not organizing lesson plans around that one phrase, which is for middle school students only, nor are they pushing any of the research as hard and fast facts...."

I don't know how many times or how many ways to answer your question. See above, it's not being taught, it's being used as fodder for discussion. You do realize there's a difference don't you? I don't know if you're playing dumb, but my reference to gun control is an analogy that I believe most posters here understood. So "one veteran teacher, who requested anonymity" (no balls or courage) is outraged when marginalized voices of minorities and systemic racism is discussed. I would call that fragility and would lay odds that it's white fragility...

I think I understand your position. It is that the formal written curriculum that I provided, and the denial of Ms Morell and the PBS is exactly how the teachers were directed to teach in their training, and the response of one of the teachers is white fragility. Is that correct?

Yeah, never too young to indoctrinate kids into the next social justice warriors.
What's wrong with learning about and discussing social justice?

At a time, in my opinion, when race relations in America are at an all time low, Buffalo school teachers apparently are required to use this curriculum in grades K-12.

The story of Buffalo Public Schools is a sad and familiar one: a dying industrial town, underperforming inner-city schools, and high rates of failure among racial minorities. Instead of focusing on improving academic achievement, however, Buffalo school administrators have adopted fashionable new pedagogies: “culturally responsive teaching,” “pedagogy of liberation,” “equity-based instructional strategies,” and an “emancipatory curriculum.”

Buffalo Public Schools diversity czar Fatima Morrell, architect of the district’s pedagogical revolution, summarizes these dense phrases in a single word: “woke.” Last year, in her role as director of the Office of Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Initiatives, Morrell created a new curriculum promoting Black Lives Matter in the classroom and an “antiracist” training program for teachers. According to one veteran teacher, who requested anonymity, Morrell’s training programs have pushed “radical politics” and, in practice, become a series of “scoldings, guilt-trips, and demands to demean oneself simply to make another feel ‘empowered.’” Teachers must submit to these “manipulative mind games” and express support for Morrell’s left-wing politics, or risk professional retaliation.

View attachment 67324756

"In kindergarten, teachers ask students to compare their skin color with an arrangement of crayons and watch a video that dramatizes dead black children speaking to them from beyond the grave about the dangers of being killed by “racist police and state-sanctioned violence.”

"After Morrell’s presentation, one teacher reaffirmed this political imperative, declaring that students must become “activists for antiracism” and public school teachers should begin “preparing them at four years old.”

"Buffalo Public School Administrator denial!

Lessons being taught based on Black Lives Matter principles, which the author finds disturbing, are being taken 'out of context,' . WGRZ link

I was also able to find the following in the Buffalo Public Schools Black Lives Matter written curriculum.

What are the guiding principles of the Black Lives Matter in Schools curriculum? There are 13 BLM Guiding Principles, please find the links here: 13 Guiding Principles and Kid-Friendly 13 Guiding Principles Buffalo Public Schools focuses its First Weeks lessons on the following Guiding Principles: Diversity, Restorative Justice, Collective Value, Empathy, and Loving Engagement. These principles are defined as: ● Collective Value means that all Black lives, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location, matter. ● Empathy is one’s ability to connect with others by building relationships built on mutual trust and understanding. ● Diversity is the celebration and acknowledgment of differences and commonalities across cultures. ● Loving Engagement is the commitment to practice justice, liberation, and peace. ● Restorative Justice is the commitment to build a beloved and loving community that is sustainable and growing.
View attachment 67324764

So, the question is, What are the Buffalo School Teachers Teaching? I think for a very significant percentage of teachers, they will put the kids education first, and leave the politics, bias, and prejudice out of the classroom. But, I'm also concerned that a minority of them will not.

(Edited for length, sorry)

This teaching is a horrifying description of Systemic Racism that actually exists in the real world. The racism is in the minds and actions of those that are teaching the disgusting lies that they have created and are now teaching.

Also of a horribly perverse and illogical world view to justify the crap contained in the curriculum and implied by it.

Arranging a rationalization to twist facts into pretzels to explain unrelated outcomes is so dishonest and confoundingly stupid that it cannot be an accident.

The same thing that has reduced the US Public Education System from Number 1 internationally to number 35 is responsible for this failure of honesty, ethics, intelligence and rationality.

You have to ask yourself why liberals are so racist.

Who the hell teaches buffalo students? Why are ruminants receiving education in America when there is not enough funding for human students? Have you people gone mad down there? Let's go to "The Anchor" for some hot-wings. Everybody knows buffalo are only useful for their tiny, little wings which are so delightfully tasty and zesty. Why educate your food? Oh, regarding racism, since the White Men tried to wipe out the buffalo population in the 19th Century, it is quite understandable that buffalo students would regard all whites as being central to systemic racism.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:

Ok, I'll add obedient slaves and whitewashistory to the list.

Who the hell teaches buffalo students? Why are ruminants receiving education in America when there is not enough funding for human students? Have you people gone mad down there? Let's go to "The Anchor" for some hot-wings. Everybody knows buffalo are only useful for their tiny, little wings which are so delightfully tasty and zesty. Why educate your food? Oh, regarding racism, since the White Men tried to wipe out the buffalo population in the 19th Century, it is quite understandable that buffalo students would regard all whites as being central to systemic racism.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Love to, perhaps everyone in this thread would join us. Maybe some Buffalo teachers who weren't afraid of losing their job would also come .

Middle school is not too young to learn about systematic racism.

Leftists like yourself have always tried to indoctrinate young people, e.g. Mao's red guards, Hitler youth, the komsomol, the various fascist youth organizations, etc.

Yes, for years, and now in 2021? How many people in America now own black obedient slaves?
My mistake. I didn't specify what kinds of slaves. I didn't mean chattel slaves. I mean obedient workers, for the most part. I know that's not full enslavement, but their are parallels between being an employee and enslaved.

And I say that whitewashed history has been the American standard.

I think I understand your position. It is that the formal written curriculum that I provided, and the denial of Ms Morell and the PBS is exactly how the teachers were directed to teach in their training, and the response of one of the teachers is white fragility. Is that correct?

Maybe we have different definitions of, "teaching". A curriculum that includes a discussion about the historically marginalized voices of minority verses a curriculum that flat out tells students it's a fact that minorities are marginalized and that all white people perpetuate racism (like the fact that the temperature of freezing is 32 degrees for example) are very different things.

Teachers who afraid to just discuss this are very fragile. What is he afraid of, kids that might be exposed to ideas that shouldn't be talked about? It's understandable, most conservatives are in denial about racism so discussing it gives it credence they believe it doesn't deserve. I believe this teacher is most likely white, hence white fragility. That is correct...

Back
Top Bottom