• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Britney Griner is on her way home

I straight up do not agree with this, we just rang the dinner bell for nations to start arresting people for any reason they can find then bargain with the US for a prisoner swap.
On the other hand we get citizens back who got held on trumped up charges, so they can go on with their lives, and we get rid of criminals of foreign citizenship which we will no longer have to house and feed and provide medical care to.

I understand your point but then I go further and see an up side to this.

So after Warnock won and Fox news returned to their bread and butter of AOC, "the blacks" and persecuted Christians, Joe Biden/his team were working on returning an American hostage to her daughter.

Both parties aren't the same.

On the one hand, it was abominable to do all that to her.

On the other hand, I kinda wish we started making citizens sign a document saying they understand we're not going to negotiate any future releases of prisoners.

It's become a way for bad faith states to get us to free absolute scum in return for an often-innocent hostage (and I'm still holding out the possibility that that is this. Sure, she said she intentionally brought it, but it would take either an extremely principled person or a complete idiot to argue that a set-up was indeed a set-up in a Russian court, and thus probably bring on a lifetime's worth of new manufactured charges).

Yep. Russian courts are about as believable as North Korean courts.

I have explained above. Just think its sends an awful message and potentially sets a pretty bad precedent.

Happy for Griner and her family but ultimately I think its a pretty bad deal. This is a man that flew plane after plane of weapons into Afghanistan during 2001 which were used against NATO soldiers. Man was a menace around the world and he belongs in jail.
What's the point of having a high value hostage if you don't exchange them for something equally valuable?

I have explained above. Just think its sends an awful message and potentially sets a pretty bad precedent.

Happy for Griner and her family but ultimately I think its a pretty bad deal. This is a man that flew plane after plane of weapons into Afghanistan during 2001 which were used against NATO soldiers. Man was a menace around the world and he belongs in jail.

Bout has been in in prisoned since 2008 (14 years). The Russia he is returning to is very different than when he left... Between the sanctions and how long he has been in prison, the odds are pretty low that he can resume his business.

Yeah, I don't know why they backed down from the deal. Maybe things were being done to Griner and they felt they needed to get her out quickly?

They say "talks are ongoing" for Whelan, whatever that means.
Honestly, probably means nothing good for that man, unfortunately.

^^ agreed. I am also disappointed they didn't include Whelan who served our country.
Probably because Whelan may well be a US intelligence asset, they know Brittany isn’t a spy and so there’s no value to keeping her locked up. Whelan needs to be an example, I think it’s far less likely he gets released unless we’re willing to offer major concessions to get him out

And Trump broke US law by taking and keeping top secret materials. You might not like the law, but that is how shit works.
Oh yes... the Trump is bad post....
Trump phobia again!!
Trump has zero to do with this thread.

Just announced by President Biden on Twitter.

She is on a plane bound for home.

Goes to show you the Biden admin's negotiating chops. Our relationship with Russia is in the toilet, yet Joe was able to secure her release.

Trump would not even have tried. It would be his virtual signal to his hateful base. He's probably have insulted her and praised Putin.

To be fair, those weapons were being used by indigenous partisans against foreign occupiers.

Just finished watching the president's press conference. It's so nice to have some class back in the oval office.

Welcome home Brittney.
Trump didn't even come down from the residence until 11:00 AM. Much less that he would have worked to get Brittney out. She black and gay. She would have rot over there for years.

Putin won - he got his merchant of death back

meanwhile, Paul Whelan is still in prison .... sucks to be a white man that Democrats don't care about

So while these people (below) were dining in Florida, Joe Biden/his team were working on returning an American hostage to the USA.

Both parties aren't the same.

Extremists React to Trump Dinner with Ye and Nick Fuentes | ADL

Oh yes... the Trump is bad post....
Trump phobia again!!
Trump has zero to do with this thread.
So, you are all for the rule of law.......until you aren't.

Hypocrisy much?

Back
Top Bottom