• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Break through in search for tinnitus cure.

soylentgreen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Hopefully those in america who suffer from tinnitus might have some relief coming if FDA approval can be got.
https://www.biospectrumasia.com/new...ears searching for,mobile-phone-based therapy.

After 20 years searching for a cure for tinnitus, researchers at the University of Auckland in New Zealand are excited by ‘encouraging results’ from a clinical trial of a mobile-phone-based therapy.

On average, the group with the polytherapeutic (31 people) showed clinically significant improvements at 12 weeks, while the other group (30 people) did not. “This is more significant than some of our earlier work and is likely to have a direct impact on future treatment of tinnitus,” Associate Professor in Audiology Grant Searchfield says.

There is no pill that can cure tinnitus. “What this therapy does is essentially rewire the brain in a way that de-emphasises the sound of the tinnitus to a background noise that has no meaning or relevance to the listener,” Dr Searchfield says.

The next step will be to refine the prototype and proceed to larger local and international trials with a view to FDA approval. The researchers hope the app will be clinically available in around six months.

Sounds fascinating, that an app could fix it. I'd want to know if it rewires for other sounds too, though.

I've been covering medical news professionally for a few decades.

Allow me to translate what you have..

"Encouraging results" means, hey, we've got a product here, maybe, that can make a lot of money off of a non-lethal annoyance suffered by 35% (?) of the population

“What this therapy does is essentially rewire the brain in a way that de-emphasises the sound of the tinnitus to a background noise that has no meaning or relevance to the listener,” Dr Searchfield says.

Rewire the brain is really ****ing scary and connected to a 'device' doesn't hold out is even more scary. & I'll bet their rigging a system where they can monitor or adjust the device.

DO NOT INVEST

'rewire the brain' is just a fancy way of saying 'learn & train yourself on how to ignore it'.

"Encouraging results" means, hey, we've got a product here, maybe, that can make a lot of money off of a non-lethal annoyance suffered by 35% (?) of the population

“What this therapy does is essentially rewire the brain in a way that de-emphasises the sound of the tinnitus to a background noise that has no meaning or relevance to the listener,” Dr Searchfield says.

Rewire the brain is really ****ing scary and connected to a 'device' doesn't hold out is even more scary. & I'll bet their rigging a system where they can monitor or adjust the device.

DO NOT INVEST
I thought professional news reporters reported the news, not translate it.

Your accusing medical researchers of creating products that can bring them a lot of money. Are you sure? Has that ever happened before?
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national...-claim-breakthrough-in-management-of-tinnitus
Sixty-five percent of those using the method noticed an improvement within 12 weeks, where other methods often took about a year, he said.

Some participants said it was life changing.

No, your imagination is really ****ing scary. The device is simply designed to create white noise that will dilute the tinnitus to a point where it becomes unnoticable.
University of Auckland audiology associate professor Grant Searchfield said its new method, using a combination of counselling and a phone game, worked for more people and in a much quicker timeframe than others.

There were already phone apps but the difference in the study was that participants also had counselling, and the games were then individually tailored, he said.
Phone games have been around for far to long now to try and start a scary story of mind control.

I’ve had Meniere’s Disease for several years and one of the most common symptoms is tinnitus. The disease has also caused a hearing loss of about 30% in one ear and I wear a hearing aid just for that ear. One thing I found is that the tinnitus in that ear is a bit less noticeable and when I mentioned it to my doctor she said the hearing aid is basically giving my brain something else to focus on. Sounds like this treatment does basically their same thing:

I wish they would find a cure for this tormenting disease but nothing so far...you learn to live with it and do your best to ignore it...but it's always there...the only relief I get is when I'm sleeping...

DO NOT INVEST
...when you read "rewire the brain," do you perceive that as involving surgery or something?

DO NOT INVEST
Bingo!

It won't work, and there is no cure.

Together with a rather significant hearing loss, tinnitus pretty much helped end my forty years behind the camera, because directors don't have the time or inclination to keep repeating stuff just because an old fart couldn't understand what they just said.

tinnitus 1229.jpg
It also makes it difficult to trust my audio mixes in the edit bay, and together with declining eyesight make me less hirable.
Oh well, I am sixty-six and there are only a few DP's and editors still doing regular work who are that age and the few who are, are usually Oscar winners who
usually can be counted on to have an army of people eager to help out.

Roger Deakins, for example, isn't expected to hump all his gear, build his camera, schlep it from location to location, etc.
I am lucky that I got to work with some fascinating people, make a good living and enjoy "best day at work ever" almost every day, even the bad days.

An expat writer who lives in Bali swore to me that he cured his tinnitus by massaging his ear with tea tree oil. Take that how you will.

Back
Top Bottom