• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brain drain in states barring gay marriage

I wasn't referring to moving due to anti SSM laws, but merely SSM as an important issue among the general populace. The idea that those who aren't personally affected cannot have a legitimate interest outside of self righteousness is equally absurd to the notion that American citizens lack a reason to voice their opinion on immigration, or men on women's issues. It's just a very short sighted viewpoint.

Everyone can have interest in politics and social issues. That's healthy. What isn't healthy is to base rash decisions in your own life around them. I support SSM, but I'm not about to go kick up waves because I think the world is incomplete without them. I don't smoke, yet I support someone's right to slowly kill themselves through nicotine. Am I going to dress up in a giant cigarette butt and picket outside of D.C.? No.

Go ahead and dissent - America was founded upon dissension. It's just also key for people to know their roles.

Ah, just hold your ground and stay in Florida. The state thing won't last too much longer, we've pretty much already abandoned the union of states we began as. It'll be all federal all the time in no time at all now. :(

I am making such an argument because it is accurate and level headed to do so. Marriage isn't necessarily a state issue. The state recognizing it is a state issue. It isn't banned. A ban means illegal, it clearly isn't illegal.

But I bore of this argument its pointless, I am for the state recognizing SSM, all states in fact. We are just arguing legal semantics and it doesn't seem productive.
You are correct that marriage is not necessarily a state issue. But the marriage license, on the other hand, is. And when people are talking about marriage bans, they are talking about marriage in the civil sense, not marriage in the private/ceremonial/religious sense. I am making an argument about the former sense, and you are responding by referencing the latter sense. Hence, you are equivocating.

You are correct that marriage is not necessarily a state issue. But the marriage license, on the other hand, is. And when people are talking about marriage bans, they are talking about marriage in the civil sense, not marriage in the private/ceremonial/religious sense. I am making an argument about the former sense, and you are responding by referencing the latter sense. Hence, you are equivocating.

I think its wrong fir states not to allow gay couples to have marriage license.

To essentially pull up roots and move for those reasons is beyond foolish. I'm not about to move a thousand miles away because my buddy can't marry his boyfriend down the road from me. Oversimplification my ass.

Some people just need to be outraged. Basing critical junctions in your life over something that plays little to no part...that'd be stupid.

I would tell anyone offering to do this to not bother. It's so unlikely to have any impact at all, unless there was a dramatic exodus of educated people (the kind Russia is seeing). Since that's not going to happen and most states will legalize gay marriage probably within 5 years, it only makes sense for gay couples wanting to marry soon to leave. As for the red states, there were plenty other reasons for an educated person to leave even way before DOMA was struck down.

I would tell anyone offering to do this to not bother. It's so unlikely to have any impact at all, unless there was a dramatic exodus of educated people (the kind Russia is seeing). Since that's not going to happen and most states will legalize gay marriage probably within 5 years, it only makes sense for gay couples wanting to marry soon to leave. As for the red states, there were plenty other reasons for an educated person to leave even way before DOMA was struck down.

I agree with you, outside of the "most states in 5 years" thing. I still say at least half the states will remain steadfast in the throes of anti-SSM outrage for a few decades. If that's what they want, so be it. I don't agree with them, but it's not my place to say so.

Now, if I was homosexual and felt an overwhelming urge to marry another man, I could definitely feel a need to pick and choose a state of residence that allows me to be happy in that aspect. However, if you're a straight supporter of SSM (like myself, even though I'm not incredibly vocal or passionate), picking that subject as the tipping point for wanting to rearrange your life in its entirety...that's impetuous. I'm actually interested in living in Florida for many reasons: sensible gun laws, no state income tax, and lots of babes in bikinis. See, all these personally affect my life. Gay marriage doesn't. I mean, equality is nice, but hell...I'm anti-marriage as a whole. I don't think being able to marry someone of the same sex is a deal breaker, and I've personally been incredibly adamant in the fact that the government should be out of all marriage. Wishful thinking, I know...but still.

I deserve a tax break because my high school boyfriend knocked me up at 17 and we had a shotgun ceremony with Oreos and Kool-aid in the trailer park's basketball court! Ah, go fist yourself. God, I love to hate the south.

There are no bans on same sex marriage here in Texas, they just aren't recognized yet. The climate here, at last in the big cities is not hostile

Agreed, at least in Austin and Houston. Houston currently has a gay mayor.

I have a master's degree and considerable experience in my field. My boyfriend has two master's degrees and considerable experience in his field. In one sense I feel obligated to remain in Florida because this is where I earned my degree and started my career but on the other hand it feels like Florida doesn't really want us.

I have a master's degree and not inconsiderable experience in my field. My wife has a mater's degree and considerable experience in her field.

We both got our undergrad and graduate degrees in NJ and we both began our careers here.

If NJ told us we couldn't marry we'd have been living elsewhere long since.

You don't "owe" Florida anything.

If you can't pursue your brand of happiness there, and if you can't change the laws such that they suit you (which is fine, if the majority defines happiness differently than you do) it's time to pick up shop and move someplace where you're getting as much as you're giving.

Back
Top Bottom