• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blindsided veterans erupt in fury after Senate GOP tanks toxic burn pit bill

That is total BS even Toomey isn't claiming there is pork in the bill. His only complaint is be wants the funding in discretionary.
400 billion not specifically allocated to the veterans.

I'm sorry that you feel so secure in your own misinformation.

It is specifically allocated to veterans. It is in the VA budget. It cannot be transferred to another budget without Congressional approval....and it isn't 400 B it's, 280 B. The 400 B is on the mandatory side and MUST not only be spent on veterans but specifically on veterans' healthcare.

Trump learned the hard way you can't transfer money from one budget to another or on things not appropriated by Congress

It is specifically allocated to veterans. It is in the VA budget. It cannot be transferred to another budget without Congressional approval....and it isn't 400 B it's, 280 B. The 400 B is on the mandatory side and MUST not only be spent on veterans but specifically on veterans' healthcare.

Trump learned the hard way you can't transfer money from one budget to another or on things not appropriated by Congress

Lies.

Nope..the facts
Lies.

The bill, as written, effectively loosens the caps on discretionary spending by $390 billion. The Congressional Budget Office said so shortly before the June vote. That means it would be easier procedurally to spend an additional $390 billion — not on veterans’ health care, not even on a “VA slush fund” that has entered this confused debate, but on anything. Adopting Toomey’s amendment, as he has repeatedly explained, would not cut veterans’ benefits by one dollar.

Lies.

The bill, as written, effectively loosens the caps on discretionary spending by $390 billion. The Congressional Budget Office said so shortly before the June vote. That means it would be easier procedurally to spend an additional $390 billion — not on veterans’ health care, not even on a “VA slush fund” that has entered this confused debate, but on anything. Adopting Toomey’s amendment, as he has repeatedly explained, would not cut veterans’ benefits by one dollar.
It is true that it does open up discretionary spending not previously allocated. It is also true that it would make it procedurally easier to spend that unmarked discretionary money, procedurally meaning Congressional action including appropriation and Congressional approval. Congress has the authority to allocate that money but they can't do it without a full House and Senate vote.

You were complaining as if you were part of the our whos tax dollers were being “wasted”

Pretending us veterans are welfare queens when it isnt your money even going to this is pretty stupid.
Oh. I dont like moochers. Wherever they are.

400 Billion not allocated directly towards the sick veterans and you want to talk shit?
You do understand that if it stays on the Discretionary side of the budget like you Repuks want it doesn't have to even be put in the Budget , it can be held "Hostage " so a Congressmen or Senator can say we won't fund it unless you fund my pork project and IF it is on the Mandatory side where the DEMS want to put it it HAS to be funded every year and that money can ONLY be used for what it is intended for. IT CAN'T be used for anything else like YOU are trying to make people believe,
so maybe you and Sen. dumb f--- should learn how the budget process works.
Maybe he should have talked to a Congressmen before he ran his mouth off and voted against it,
, seeing that is where all federal spending has to start and they know all about the Mandatory side and the Discretionary side
have a nice day

That is total BS even Toomey isn't claiming there is pork in the bill. His only complaint is be wants the funding in discretionary.
and that is probably so he and other Republican Congressmen and Senators can hold it hostage so they can get something they want down the line
Have a nice night

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!! go back and read my post 169 and answer the question I have been asking you and the other right wingers on here and still haven't got an answer
There IS NO 400 Billion that will NOT be specifically allocated IF it is mover to the MANDATORY side of the Budget like the DEM want
Have a nice night

What's really sick is you lying about me, a combat veteran.
Are you a combat veteran suffering from exposure to burn pits? If so your stance on the topic is sick, if you are not then you obviously care little for those who were.

and that is probably so he and other Republican Congressmen and Senators can hold it hostage so they can get something they want down the line
Have a nice night
I agree that's why he wants it in discretionary. My point is he isn't arguing there is pork in the bill.

I agree that's why he wants it in discretionary. My point is he isn't arguing there is pork in the bill.
I am still waiting for somebody to answer the question I have been posting for several days
it is in post #169
it is a very simple question
I am waiting have a nice day

See the DEMs did learn something.

If spending is "discretionary" then a bill can be passed, just not funded in out years.

That's what the GOP did with ObamaCare. It passed, and they refused to fund major provisions of it for years.

Hence why the spending for Vet's is listed as Mandatory. That way the law can't be passed and then the funding quietly cut.

WW

400 Billion not allocated directly towards the sick veterans and you want to talk shit?
Well speaking of talking shit the 40 billion a year outside the burn provision is what you are whining about??? I don't recall such whines during the massive spending sprees of Republican Presidents. Did I miss your umbrage there???

Fear not Schumer invited Toomey to set some limits and you never did answer this-

If the MAGA fearing GOP is soooo sure they will sweep both Houses and then can play with ALL the spending why to whining???

Very quiet on the right

I've linked you the bill plenty of times. There is not $400 billion allocated to non-veteran care things.

You're lying to try and deny healthcare to veterans. That's sick.

See the DEMs did learn something.

If spending is "discretionary" then a bill can be passed, just not funded in out years.

That's what the GOP did with ObamaCare. It passed, and they refused to fund major provisions of it for years.

Hence why the spending for Vet's is listed as Mandatory. That way the law can't be passed and then the funding quietly cut.

WW
Yeah, anyone who wants veterans' healthcare to be discretionary just wants to be able to use veterans as political hostages.

I've linked you the bill plenty of times. There is not $400 billion allocated to non-veteran care things.

You're lying to try and deny healthcare to veterans. That's sick.
They apparently don't understand IF it is on the MANDATORY side of the Budget it HAS to be funded EVERY YEAR until they pass another bill to discontinue it and the funding HAS to go to the program it was intended for and CAN NOT be spent for anything else.
and if it is on the Discretionary side of the budget like the Republicans want it HAS to be put in the Budget and get funding for it passed every year.
and with them wanting it on the Discretionary side it sounds to me like THEY WANT to be able to play with it, if they have a pork project they want they can withhold funding for this till they get their pork or just NOT fund it at all
Have a nice day

They apparently don't understand IF it is on the MANDATORY side of the Budget it HAS to be funded EVERY YEAR until they pass another bill to discontinue it and the funding HAS to go to the program it was intended for and CAN NOT be spent for anything else.
and if it is on the Discretionary side of the budget like the Republicans want it HAS to be put in the Budget and get funding for it passed every year.
and with them wanting it on the Discretionary side it sounds to me like THEY WANT to be able to play with it, if they have a pork project they want they can withhold funding for this till they get their pork or just NOT fund it at all
Have a nice day
It's not very complicated but their preferred media sources have muddled it up and made it confusing to those who cannot seem to think for themselves. They don't even have their misinformed facts straight between them.

The Senate voted Tuesday night to pass a long-sought bipartisan legislation to expand health care benefits for millions of veterans exposed to toxic burn pits during their military service, sending the bill to President Joe Biden to sign into law. The final vote was 86-11. Passage of the bill marks the end of a lengthy fight to get the legislation through Congress, as veterans and their advocates had been demonstrating on Capitol Hill for days. Many veterans were allowed into the Senate gallery to watch the final vote on Tuesday evening. The legislation had been held up in the chamber since last week when more than two dozen Republicans, who previously supported the measure, temporarily blocked it from advancing.

Sen. Pat Toomey, a Pennsylvania Republican, rallied fellow Republicans to hold up the legislation in exchange for amendment votes, specifically an amendment that would change an accounting provision. Toomey had previously said he wanted an amendment vote with a 50-vote threshold. Tuesday's final vote followed votes on three amendments with a 60-vote threshold. Toomey's amendment, which would have made a change to a budget component of the legislation, failed as expected, in a vote of 47-48. Last week's surprise move by Republicans led to a swift backlash among veterans and veterans' groups, including protests on the US Capitol steps over the weekend and early this week.

Republicans had to be shamed into doing the right thing for military vets.

Spooked GOP Senate Leaders Backpedal After Holding Vet Bill Hostage

Republicans had to be shamed into doing the right thing for military vets.

As I said, it must have been one hell of a rough weekend for them back in their home States!

Back
Top Bottom