• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blindsided veterans erupt in fury after Senate GOP tanks toxic burn pit bill

Why is it you fall for this everytime? The democrats propose a thing, doesn't matter, vets, kids, minorities, women, the elderly, police... Pick a thing. They propose a solution, this solution is not a very good solution or full of crap the GOP cannot support, will not support. The Dems know this, but they push it to defeat anyway, then go on TV/SM/Radio/Internet etc.... etc... and claim the GOP hates (insert previous mentioned appropriate group), they aren't backing OUR bill! They are EVIL!!!" They do this alot around election years, it's so obvious it' would be funny except all the little puppets that dance when they do this.
Oh, I don't fall for anything to include your horse crap. I do note the Rabid Right keeps trotting out the same BS every time they have to 'explain' why the GOP politicians, who fear their own MAGA voters, vote against helping of all people our veterans. (FYI, I wouldn't see a penny of this, my service-connected injuries were miles away from any burn pit)

Toomey was offered the chance to amend the bill to 'protect' the assigning of future funds- he refused. He 'worries' some funding may go someplace else if Congress wants it to (never mind the GOP are busy counting their chickens before the midterms- so many MAGA/Rabid Right predict a landslide for the GOP.

I never said the GOP hates vets- the MAGA fearing cowards in the Republican party are so petty as to refuse to back a bill that might give Biden a win.

Now the Republicans had 8 years under BushII to do something, 4 more years under tRump but didn't seem to see the issue until the Dems brought it up. Vets are not one of a dozen (insert the group the GOP whines about) No welfare, so 'free ride', no something for nothing so drop that crap. These are Americans who stepped up when so many were too busy to do so.

So why do you try and spout Rabid Right crap each and every time the Dems bring up a bill people support. (Push bills people don't like abortion access)

The dancing puppets I see are in the GOP... ✌️

They DO want a guarantee of continued funding...specifically as needed.

As was stated...“What I'm trying to do is change a government accounting methodology that is designed to allow our Democratic colleagues to go on an unrelated $400 billion spending spree that has nothing to do with veterans and won't be in the veterans space."

That is ALL that is required for the bill to pass...providing the full amount to those in need and not a penny less. For all your bullshit, ALL that is required is for the rat aprty to commit spending what is needed where it is needed...and not be allowed to be diverted down the road. A very simple correction and everyone 'wins'. Yet...here we are.
Toomey and everyone here are trying to holler about a Democratic party "spending spree" yet you haven't presented any specifics that I've seen. Nor has Toomey presented "the rat party" shopping list that he and other armband rightwingers oppose and that doesn't exist. So present to the world the specific items of your rat party make believe spending spree that you're definitely against.

Indeed it is telling to find out what is also in the defeated bill and why the armband Republicans defeated it. Items in the bill have nothing to do with the armband Republican ideological dogmas.

As reported by the Billings Montana Gazette...

While the PACT Act was up for a vote, Majority Leader Charles Schumer announced he had reached a deal with Sen. Joe Manchin on a bill to cut prescription drug costs for Medicare seniors, address climate change, in part by empowering the IRS to shake down tax cheats. The expectation is that tax cheats would contribute $125 billion. Republicans oppose empowering the IRS, which needs more staff to pull off the task. Staff takes money, goes the argument. The deal announced Wednesday also includes a 15% corporate minimum tax to raise $315 billion, and closure of a carried interest loophole, $15 billion. It relies on the federal government saving $320 billion by paying less for prescription drugs. These estimates are from the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, which estimates the package would reduce deficits by more than $300 billion over a decade.

Armband Republicans don't like anything in the bill, veterans especially. Armband Republicans want to suppress recruiting and retention across the armed forces. And this vote was to be a super high profile means toward that nefarious goal. Armband Republicans are executing a broad front attack against democracy.

Last edited:
And when the bill was discussed then, the same concerns were issued. “What I'm trying to do is change a government accounting methodology that is designed to allow our Democratic colleagues to go on an unrelated $400 billion spending spree that has nothing to do with veterans and won't be in the veterans space,” he said.

Not a penny less...and passed immediately...and all the rat party has to do is commit to specifically funding what they are voting on.
Toomey was offered the chance to amend the bill- he refused. That point to the MAGA/Rabid Right party as the rat party... ✌️

And you want to pretend they did that because they hate veterans. Bullshit.

By and large, most vets are conservative, and conservatives overwhelmingly support the military and troops.

Some form of this bill will pass when GOP is on control of Congress next year. Democrats are just screaming because they want an election year soundbite.
Are you a veteran?

The boo hoo was for you, because you're having a political hissy fit over a designation that you admit has been sought after for decades.

Only now, in the 11th hour of a an election year where democrats are going to be handed their ass, the left want to "take care of veterans". LOL - sure.

Where have they been all this time? I'll tell you where...sniffing Trumps butt.
When Al Franken was running for the senate he was strongly supporting medical coverage for veterans. Since 9/11 - when I first started paying attention to politics - the left has strongly supported medical care for everybody and especially veterans.

I would never vote for somebody who decides to play politics at the expense of our veterans lives. Most of us won't be arguing over this, the 15% who oppose the progress of society are impressively stubborn, though. No low is too low, nothing is shocking at this point. 15% who sees the headline: "GOP proposes slaughter of all first-born, contemplating plague" and just reflexively defends it. Then it would be 45 minutes until Tucker went live to explain that plagues were caused by nature and/or God. And a laptop is satanic

Many Republicans who are veterans cherish their armbands uber alles.

With no specifics to their wild accusations of a "rat party" spending spree armband Republicans continue to unrelentingly pursue their Triumph of The Will.

Predicated as it is on The Big Lie.

And you want to pretend they did that because they hate veterans. Bullshit.

By and large, most vets are conservative, and conservatives overwhelmingly support the military and troops.

Some form of this bill will pass when GOP is on control of Congress next year. Democrats are just screaming because they want an election year soundbite.
They did it because they want to try to tank Democrats, prevent them from passing anything, even at the expense of dying veterans, because they care nothing about veterans or anyone else really, only power.

I am a concerned veteran and I agree that the bill needed to be blocked. Toomey is right in saying that the bill needs to be reworked.

A release from GOP Senator Pat Toomey's office on Tuesday said that the PACT Act "would enable $400 billion over the next 10 years in spending completely unrelated to veterans." It noted that Toomey, a Pennsylvania lawmaker, has a "technical fix" that "does not reduce spending on veterans by even $1 or affect the expansion of care and benefits in the underlying bill."
Then why did they vote for that same bill in June except for the title change and a single line removed from this new version?

Then why did they vote for that same bill in June except for the title change and a single line removed from this new version?

The reason for the flip is of no concern to me. Democrats have flipped on hundreds of bills over the years so they have little ground to stand on when it comes to their political grand standing and faux rage.

The included 400 billion not specifically targeted to the sick veterans is more than enough to turn me off.

The reason for the flip is of no concern to me. Democrats have flipped on hundreds of bills over the years so they have little ground to stand on when it comes to their political grand standing and faux rage.

The included 400 billion not specifically targeted to the sick veterans is more than enough to turn me off.
The bill is specifically targeted to veterans. Can you post the part of the bill you're talking about? McConnell seems to be saying you're wrong too

Minority Leader Mitch McConnell declined to respond to a question Monday about why the legislation was held up.

“It will pass this week,” he said.

That is also not true. You are being lied to. Show exactly where they could do that given the way the bill is set up. Are they going to use the same thing Trump did to redirect money towards the wall, stealing it from the military?

1659372128824-png.67404480

Progressive tears make an excellent summertime refreshment
Well since it is Veteran's who are complaining about this, you are insulting all of them. Good to know you hate veterans.

$400 Billion slush fund in the bill that is not dedicated strictly to veterans?

Is this what liberals are hoodwinking the veterans with?

It's pretty disgusting that the democrats would change the bill after the first count and add in 400 Billion that the veterans will never see.
Can we revisit this post?

Show the difference in the two bills presented and the difference in them.

Stewart………wrong
Tester. wrong

What is it?

You arent an american. The **** are you on about?
I dont know what you mean. I was asking the question why American soldiers are more likely to get ptsd than soldiers from other nations. If it was because of your effeminate society or is it that you have more malingerers. I was saying probably both and that I think these same kinds of malingerers that are seeking compensation for ptsd will all be lining up to get hand outs for this pit burn nonsense. Pretending to have asthma and whatnot. Guy I was talking to said he was 90% paralyzed so I didnt really want him to feel too bad so I tried to temper the post a little. Was that you?

Again, Toomey was offered a change to amend the bill and declined the offer.

Again, if the GOP is soooo sure they will landslide the midterms and control both branches of Congress why the whine about 'targeting' language??? Sounds like any excuse is good enough for the GOP if it blocks a bill the Dems want.

Oh BTW, where was the GOP before the Dems brought this bill. tRump hugs the flag but the MAGA fearing GOP seemed to miss veteran health when it comes to cancer causing exposure.... ✌️

I dont know what you mean. I was asking the question why American soldiers are more likely to get ptsd than soldiers from other nations. If it was because of your effeminate society or is it that you have more malingerers. I was saying probably both and that I think these same kinds of malingerers that are seeking compensation for ptsd will all be lining up to get hand outs for this pit burn nonsense. Pretending to have asthma and whatnot. Guy I was talking to said he was 90% paralyzed so I didnt really want him to feel too bad so I tried to temper the post a little. Was that you?

You were complaining as if you were part of the our whos tax dollers were being “wasted”

Pretending us veterans are welfare queens when it isnt your money even going to this is pretty stupid.

Ugly optics for the GOP, esp. given how readily they backed down in the face of withering criticism and McConnell refused to offer a reason for rejecting the bill in the first place.

Can ANYBODY right or left tell me where these people are getting the idea that moving this from Discretionary spending to Mandatory spending opens up a " Hole /Gap "in discretionary spending that the dems can spend another 400 Billion
there is NO mandatory amount that HAS to be spent on the Discretionary side of the budget,
all this move does is takes that 400 Billion from the Discretionary side where IF it stays there HAS to be put in the budget EVERY year and HAS to have it's funding re-appropriated EVERY YEAR and being on the Discretionary side it CAN be held HOSTAGE for some Senator / Congressmen's pork project , if he doesn't get his way he will do everything he can to make sure it doesn't pass
and that is just what it sounds like the Republicans want to do,
being on the MANDATORY side it has to be funded every year and those funds HAVE to go to the program they have been assigned,
so AGAIN I have to ask just where do these people get that this move will "open a GAP /HOLE " in the discretionary side of the Budget that HAS to be spent?
Have a nice day

The Senate failed to advance legislation Wednesday meant to protect veterans exposed to toxic materials during their service. Forty-one Republicans and one Democrat voted against the measure, blocking it from reaching the 60-vote threshold needed to bypass the filibuster rule.

Now in fairness the GOP said this is why they voted "No" : it would enable an additional $400 billion in future discretionary spending completely unrelated to veterans. By failing to remove this gimmick, Congress would effectively be using an important veterans care bill to hide a massive, unrelated spending binge."
No "fairness" about it. They are lying. Do you understand how funds are appropriated?

The backlash against the GOP's no-votes is rapidly growing.

Republicans Tweet Support For Troops, Right Before Blocking A Veterans Health Care Bill

Elected Republican Officials love to send our people into harms way.

The consider their political power and personal employment more important than what happens to our fighters.

#sad

Again, Toomey was offered a change to amend the bill and declined the offer.

Again, if the GOP is soooo sure they will landslide the midterms and control both branches of Congress why the whine about 'targeting' language??? Sounds like any excuse is good enough for the GOP if it blocks a bill the Dems want.

Oh BTW, where was the GOP before the Dems brought this bill. tRump hugs the flag but the MAGA fearing GOP seemed to miss veteran health when it comes to cancer causing exposure.... ✌️

400 Billion not allocated directly towards the sick veterans and you want to talk shit?

400 Billion not allocated directly towards the sick veterans and you want to talk shit?
It's not 400B and it is in the VA budget. It cannot be used in another budget. If it is ever actually appropriate in must be spent on veterans one way or another. The full 400B is now on the mandatory side and must be used for veterans healthcare. Why does this Canadian no more about your budget processes than you do? Sad....

Back
Top Bottom