• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blind man claims McDonald’s drive-thru is discriminatory, files lawsuit

The part I was aiming for was "Cars and people" mixing is bad. Of course you would hope the guy wins. Hurt the economy, hurt a business, enrich lawyers. Good plan.

It won't hurt the economy, the lawyers will spend and invest the money same as mcDs would.

It won't hurt mcdonalds either.

Cars and people don't have to mix, they can set up an outside service window for pedestrians. I think local zoning should simply require that.

The part I was aiming for was "Cars and people" mixing is bad. Of course you would hope the guy wins. Hurt the economy, hurt a business, enrich lawyers. Good plan.

Uh, we place sidewalks right next to roads already. What kind of danger is a, what, 5mph drive through going to pose to a pedestrian ? If they're drunk enough, they might stumble into someone's car or get their foot run over ?

Looks like they have them in some restaurants.

mcdonalds-late-night-walk-up-window-20130626_155933.jpg

Nice! There goes my brilliant idea though. :lol:

Yep. Sounds like his complaint should be against the Drivers License Bureau.

actually, my BLIND 87 year old mother-in-law has a drivers license
recently issued
let's not go there

Looks like they have them in some restaurants.

mcdonalds-late-night-walk-up-window-20130626_155933.jpg

Brings up a good point, till recently a lot of fast food places where I live had their last hour or two of service drive through only, some were 24 hours but midnight to 5 was drive though only, for safety of the crew reasons and to tear apart the indoor area for cleaning. That seems to have gone away, and I bet lawsuits or the threat of lawsuits is the reason. A late night walk up window would be the solution.

Last edited:
actually, my BLIND 87 year old mother-in-law has a drivers license
recently issued
let's not go there
Dood obviously needs to move to Texas.

Or jeeze just walk into the store. I mean you're on foot anyway, right? I can't even imagine walking to the McDs and then walking through the drive through lane and expecting to be served.

Actually the point was that the only thing open at that hour site drive thru.

Actually, having seen how drive thru gets served I wouldn't want any pedestrians anywhere near them and would have the same policy. I don't see a good reason why the man can't simply use the counter service like everyone else.

I drove up to a drive-through ATM once and there was Braille on the keypad.

(yeah, I know it was a generic keypad, but it gave me a chuckle)

Actually the point was that the only thing open at that hour site drive thru.

Yes, I believe your the 5th person who's told me that in the thread. :2razz::lol:

Because the dining room is closed after 11 and then only the drive through is open

So why is it McDonald's problem the guy didn't eat earlier when other choices were available?

All they need is for some blind guy to get his foot run over and THEN see what kind of lawsuit comes down. If there's ever been a trumped up cause for a "poor me" lawsuit, this is it. Somebody should have told him that the award of millions for hot coffee was overturned. This dolt is wasting everyone's time for his sick 15 minutes of fame

Blind man claims McDonald’s drive-thru is discriminatory, files lawsuit | Fox News

FFS, this is retarded as hell. Yes, it sucks you're blind, that doesn't mean not accommodating you at the "Drive through" is discriminatory, it's a SAFETY ISSUE NUMBNUTS

When you're on foot you go INSIDE THE RESTAURANT to order your food TO GO.

When you're in a vehicle you DO NOT GO INSIDE the restaurant.

This guys wants - what - an outside window to STAND AT and ORDER from? So he can stand in the blistering sun for 20 minutes? And the rain? And the snow? What is the sense in that?

If some places want to put a walk-up window that's totally fine. But to sue for one? That's an abuse of the court system.

I still don't know how it becomes McDonald's problem the blind guy didn't eat earlier when there were choices.

I don't either. They're not discriminating against blind people, just pedestrians.

So, he's suing because they won't serve him on foot at the drive-thru. (After hours, yes, I know that.)

Yet, if they did serve him and he got hit by a car, no doubt he'd sue for THAT.

You can't win for losing.

I'm not blind but if I don't have a car then I'm not going to be able to visit an after hours drive thru, now am I? To me this is an equal opportunity issue. He has the same rotten luck as anyone else who doesn't have a car and McD is closed to walk ins.

Or jeeze just walk into the store. I mean you're on foot anyway, right? I can't even imagine walking to the McDs and then walking through the drive through lane and expecting to be served.

Seriously, how would the blind man know where the drive through lane was anyway?

That would be something worth looking into wouldn't it?

So why is it McDonald's problem the guy didn't eat earlier when other choices were available?

All they need is for some blind guy to get his foot run over and THEN see what kind of lawsuit comes down. If there's ever been a trumped up cause for a "poor me" lawsuit, this is it. Somebody should have told him that the award of millions for hot coffee was overturned. This dolt is wasting everyone's time for his sick 15 minutes of fame
Because US federal law requires reasonable accommodation be made for disabled people. Federal law also specifies that actions that have the practical effect of discrimination are discrimination.

They don't need to let blind people at the drive through window, just have accommodation

If you want to discuss how a jury of 12 people came to the reasonable conclusion that McDonald's was negligent in serving 195° copy in a flimsy cup that resulted in a 79-year-old woman receding like threatening injuries, we will have that discussion

When you're on foot you go INSIDE THE RESTAURANT to order your food TO GO.

When you're in a vehicle you DO NOT GO INSIDE the restaurant.

This guys wants - what - an outside window to STAND AT and ORDER from? So he can stand in the blistering sun for 20 minutes? And the rain? And the snow? What is the sense in that?

If some places want to put a walk-up window that's totally fine. But to sue for one? That's an abuse of the court system.

Read the OP for the answer

So, he's suing because they won't serve him on foot at the drive-thru. (After hours, yes, I know that.)

Yet, if they did serve him and he got hit by a car, no doubt he'd sue for THAT.

You can't win for losing.

Regardless it is against federal law to discriminate against disabled people in this case McDonald's is serving customers, just not him, because he belongs to a class of people who cannot operate a car and they will not sell to such people after 11. Therefore there is a legitimate claim to be made under ADA

If they're open to the public, they cannot discriminate.

That's just the law.

I can imagine the court case utilizing the idea that it's a safety concern to allow walk-up patrons to use the drive-thru, but this plaintiff almost unquestionably has the ability to settle this in court.

Because US federal law requires reasonable accommodation be made for disabled people. Federal law also specifies that actions that have the practical effect of discrimination are discrimination.

They don't need to let blind people at the drive through window, just have accommodation

If you want to discuss how a jury of 12 people came to the reasonable conclusion that McDonald's was negligent in serving 195° copy in a flimsy cup that resulted in a 79-year-old woman receding like threatening injuries, we will have that discussion

Reasonable, sure have a car, you can use our services, no car, no service.

Actually, having seen how drive thru gets served I wouldn't want any pedestrians anywhere near them and would have the same policy. I don't see a good reason why the man can't simply use the counter service like everyone else.

From what I read it was the only option to get food at that McD's. The lobby had closed and the only thing open was the drive thru.

The court complaint cites a specific instance in August 2015 when Magee went through a McDonald’s drive-thru on foot and attempted to order a meal after the lobby had closed.

He was unable to "walk into the store".

Back
Top Bottom