• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Blasts from the Past: 3 Cases of Election Results Hypocrisy

I know reading is super duper tough but in the post you quoted I specifically highlighted that Trumps specifically said to peacefully protest, that was before they went to the Capitol.

Yes, he did retain the presence of mind to make that token gesture, buried a quarter of the way into his hour-long speech so that even those still listening with both ears after eighteen minutes would likely forget it by the end. Do you know of any other occasion over the prior two months in which he'd emphasized peacefulness or repudiated violence? I haven't been able to find any. By contrast, even on the 6th near the start and end of his speech he invoked much more extreme imagery, both suggesting justification for violent action and ruling out any kind of peaceful transition of power:
Donald Trump: (04:18)​
All of us here today do not want to see our election victory stolen by emboldened radical left Democrats, which is what they're doing and stolen by the fake news media. That's what they've done and what they're doing. We will never give up. We will never concede, it doesn't happen. You don't concede when there's theft involved.​
Donald Trump: (01:12:09)​
I said, "Something's wrong here. Something's really wrong. Can't have happened." And we fight. We fight like Hell and if you don't fight like Hell, you're not going to have a country anymore.​

In the months prior he had repeatedly told his supporters to "liberate" regions from Democratic governance (in one case followed by a foiled plot to kidnap the governor of Michigan; you can't even pretend that these kinds of consequences aren't totally predictable!), raised the possibility of maintaining his grip on power through military force/martial law and signalled violent far-right groups to "stand back and stand by."

Your turn. Ignore all this and tell me again how viciously he turned on his supporters once he realized that his "love" for them was going to look bad, and how poor little Trump supporters - the ones which he hasn't yet viciously denounced - are being unfairly tarred with the same brush as Trump and his mob.

Last edited:
There are 2 fringes of each party, the problem is the President sought them out snd enabled him.

The OP's post is only scratching the surface.

Long, long history of disputing election results they don't like, but to be fair, there's some of that on the Republicans as well.

And we would recall all of that if any of them led an insurrection against congress to keep them from counting the votes.

It goes directly to the heart of your disingenuous argument about the topic.

Disingenuous? Oh, so you mean to try and tell me that the quotations were made up or something?

Disingenuous? Oh, so you mean to try and tell me that the quotations were made up or something?

Is that what you think I’m telling you? For real? I don’t believe that. Even a little.

As per The Woke's new election objection rules....
Clinton didn't spend 3 months refusing to concede, filing dozens of lawsuits, fuming several times a day about non-existent election fraud, calling election officials and legislators in swing states and trying to convince them to ignore the will of the voters, putting Democratic election officials through "loyalty tests" by making them pledge to violate state laws and/or the Constitution, try to advocate that the Vice President blatantly violate the Constitution to make her President, and then whipping her voters into a frenzy to overthrow the government.

Clinton supporters didn't storm the Capitol. They knitted pink hats.

I hate to burst your transparent attempt to generate yet another false equivalence, but yeah, context matters. An objection, during a procedure that everyone knows is a mere formality, and that has no chance of overturning an election, and isn't even intended to change the outcome, is very different than when it happens after the Capitol was attacked by supporters of a President who was actively trying to overthrow an election by objecting to the certification.

Let me put this another way. Which is more threatening, a gun pointed nowhere near you, or a gun pointed at your head? In both cases, someone is "pointing a gun." The context of where it's pointed makes all the difference in the world.

Ted Cruz is being threatened with being put on a No Fly List and called to resign simply for questioning the election results while NOT egging on the Capitol criminal terrorists.
Let's be clear: Senator Thompson only said Cruz and Hawley should be put on a no-fly list if they were found liable for the riot. That's unlikely to actually happen.

That said, F Cruz and the horse he rode in on.

Cruz is a spineless creep who is willing to shred the Constitution to gain political power.

There was no justification whatsoever for him to object. None, nada, nothing. He received one of the best legal educations in the nation. He knows without any doubt that the election was fair. He knows without doubt that Trump is a pathological liar, including publicly spreading a vicious lie that Cruz's father was involved in the JFK assassination. (Could YOU work with someone who did that to you?) He knew Trump was dangerous from day one. He knew Trump had committed an impeachable and almost certainly illegal act that morning.

The only reason Cruz objected was because he thought it would let him inherit Trump's voters.

Hawley might be worse. Like Cruz, he's a super-elite educated lawyer who knows better. He's a theocrat who wants everyone to be free... to be forcibly converted to his personal favorite flavor of Christianity. He is on record opposing the idea that humans have free will, and that you should have "the right to choose your own meaning, define your own values, emancipate yourself from God by creating your own self."

So, yeah. Those two can walk back to Texas and Missouri for all I care.

Is that what you think I’m telling you? For real? I don’t believe that. Even a little.

Notice how often they flipflop in their arguments about how everything is different or everything is the same, depending on whichever argument best protects their fragile feeeeeeeelings and keeps their nonsensical game of Internet ping pong going.

The president that they support egged on an insurrection, and his followers responded by attempting a coup.

No Democratic president has ever done that. Nothing Democrats have done in the history of the country comes close to it. In any way. Period.

And yet somehow, at the end of the day, spineless Trump supporters will still find themselves blaming liberals somehow--because most of them are cowards with the moral system of cockroaches.

Long, long history of disputing election results they don't like, but to be fair, there's some of that on the Republicans as well.
lol

To be fair, Gore conceded after the SCOTUS ruling. Clinton conceded within 24 hours. Stacy Abrams conceded, and then spent the next 2 years building a ground game that resulted in Democrats winning Georgia in the Presidential and Senate races.

And guess what? None of them chose to spend months whipping their supporters into a frenzy and sic them on Congress.

I realize these false equivalencies are all you have to go on, since you can't possibly face the idea that Trump supporters, egged on by Trump, did something horrendously wrong. They're still false equivalencies.

Remember when you voted for the guy who said all Muslims should be banned from coming into the country at the start of his campaign? I do!
Remember when Trump threatened to pull NBC's license, because he didn't like their coverage? I do.

Remember when Trump threatened to shut down Twitter completely, because they added a warning to his false Tweets? I do.

Remember when Trump tried to ban Jim Acosta from briefings, because he didn't like his questions? I do.

Remember when Trump called the news media the "enemy of the state?" I do.

Remember when Trump threw Jorge Ramos out of a press conference and told him to "go back to Univision!" because he didn't like his questions? I do.

Remember when Trump tried to derail a merger between AT&T and Time Warner, because they own CNN, and he doesn't like CNN's coverage? I do.

Sorry, I know it's a bit of a tangent. Once you get started pointing out the blatant and rank hypocrisy of Trumpers, it's hard to stop. Sort of like eating potato chips, you can't stop at one.... 😁

Yes, he did retain the presence of mind to make that token gesture, buried a quarter of the way into his hour-long speech so that even those still listening with both ears after eighteen minutes would likely forget it by the end. Do you know of any other occasion over the prior two months in which he'd emphasized peacefulness or repudiated violence? I haven't been able to find any. By contrast, even on the 6th near the start and end of his speech he invoked much more extreme imagery, both suggesting justification for violent action and ruling out any kind of peaceful transition of power:
Donald Trump: (04:18)​
All of us here today do not want to see our election victory stolen by emboldened radical left Democrats, which is what they're doing and stolen by the fake news media. That's what they've done and what they're doing. We will never give up. We will never concede, it doesn't happen. You don't concede when there's theft involved.​
Donald Trump: (01:12:09)​
I said, "Something's wrong here. Something's really wrong. Can't have happened." And we fight. We fight like Hell and if you don't fight like Hell, you're not going to have a country anymore.​

In the months prior he had repeatedly told his supporters to "liberate" regions from Democratic governance (in one case followed by a foiled plot to kidnap the governor of Michigan; you can't even pretend that these kinds of consequences aren't totally predictable!), raised the possibility of maintaining his grip on power through military force/martial law and signalled violent far-right groups to "stand back and stand by."

Your turn. Ignore all this and tell me again how viciously he turned on his supporters once he realized that his "love" for them was going to look bad, and how poor little Trump supporters - the ones which he hasn't yet viciously denounced - are being unfairly tarred with the same brush as Trump and his mob.

I understand the word "peaceful" is super hard for people to understand. You can say that he pushed false and inflammatory thoughts but you can't say he advocated for violence.

I understand the word "peaceful" is super hard for people to understand. You can say that he pushed false and inflammatory thoughts but you can't say he advocated for violence.
It's not a lack of understanding. It's dependent on the political narrative they want to push at the time, so which contortions to language they feel is politically advantageous at the moment.

The number of things the left is continually shocked about things that happened, while forgetting that they did it 1st is really just baffling how they can rationalize it. Another good one was, "Trump is putting kids in cages!! Look at these pictures!" Then the pictures turned out to be from 2014 and Obama literally built everyone of those cages.

There's also a video out there of a collage of Hollywood celeb types begging the Electoral College to overturn the election.

I like this "If somebody else thought of it, we can do it" logic. Since Republicans urged the Vice President to overturn an election, now, using your logic, Vice President Harris can do that if we don't like the winner of the next Presidential election.

If you tell a group of violent meth heads and a group of pacifist nuns that an election was stolen, you know you're going to get entirely different reactions from the two groups.

Remember when Trump threatened to pull NBC's license, because he didn't like their coverage? I do.

Remember when Trump threatened to shut down Twitter completely, because they added a warning to his false Tweets? I do.

Remember when Trump tried to ban Jim Acosta from briefings, because he didn't like his questions? I do.

Remember when Trump called the news media the "enemy of the state?" I do.

Remember when Trump threw Jorge Ramos out of a press conference and told him to "go back to Univision!" because he didn't like his questions? I do.

Remember when Trump tried to derail a merger between AT&T and Time Warner, because they own CNN, and he doesn't like CNN's coverage? I do.

Sorry, I know it's a bit of a tangent. Once you get started pointing out the blatant and rank hypocrisy of Trumpers, it's hard to stop. Sort of like eating potato chips, you can't stop at one.... 😁

I remember yesterday when Republicans went cancel culture on Liz Cheney because she voiced an opinion.

Notice how often they flipflop in their arguments about how everything is different or everything is the same, depending on whichever argument best protects their fragile feeeeeeeelings and keeps their nonsensical game of Internet ping pong going.

The president that they support egged on an insurrection, and his followers responded by attempting a coup.

No Democratic president has ever done that. Nothing Democrats have done in the history of the country comes close to it. In any way. Period.

And yet somehow, at the end of the day, spineless Trump supporters will still find themselves blaming liberals somehow--because most of them are cowards with the moral system of cockroaches.

Good post.

You know why we know they’re full of shit? We lived through the last decade. We know they wanted endless investigations into 4 dead Americans while finding zero interest in 400000.

None of these "resurfaced" tweets or other communications are examples of people inciting sedition against the US Government.

I like this "If somebody else thought of it, we can do it" logic. Since Republicans urged the Vice President to overturn an election, now, using your logic, Vice President Harris can do that if we don't like the winner of the next Presidential election.

Yeah...ya'll tried to over turn it last time so it is part of a cycle that a certain group started. This stuff always escalates. No one is adult enough to just stop.

Donald Trump has 'joked' and advocated for illegal violence repeatedly throughout the past five years; just off the top of my head ranging from offering the pay the legal fees of supporters who assaulted his opponents, to suggesting that 'those second ammendment types' could take care of his problems, to telling violent far-right groups to "stand back and stand by" until after the election.

Let's pretend for a moment that you're honestly interested in holding an objective (rather than partisan) opinion here, and try a little thought experiment: You are Trump, you know the election is going to be close at best but (as you openly and repeatedly insist) you are never going to concede it. That alone suggests that violence very much is on the table for you: But you're also aware of legal culpability if you straight up tell people "I want you to break into the Capitol and terrorize Congress into making me president again" and the possibility (however remote) that this time some of your supporters might say "he went too far."

What exactly would you as Donald Trump do and say, in the months beforehand and on January 6th, if you really wanted stuff like riots/insurrection attempts on the table while still convincing yourself that you're avoiding legal culpability?

Don't overthink it, I'm not really expecting an honest response... it'll probably look far too much like Trump's actual actions for comfort ;)

Yeah...ya'll tried to over turn it last time so it is part of a cycle that a certain group started. This stuff always escalates. No one is adult enough to just stop.

Too late. "If you thought of it, we get to do it." When President Harris stops the election certification and overturns the results if the Republican wins, I can say, "Hey, you guys say you wanted the Vice President to do it last time, so now we're doing it."

Too late. "If you thought of it, we get to do it." When President Harris stops the election certification and overturns the results if the Republican wins, I can say, "Hey, you guys say you wanted to do it last time, so now we're doing it."

Ummm...ya'll thought of it. That's the ****ing funning part. These are your ideas.

Ummm...ya'll thought of it. That's the ****ing funning part. These are your ideas.

No, that's a stupid lie, but you knew that already.

Back
Top Bottom